Mike McCarthy 1-year extension

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all MM CYA. He is the king of finger pointing.
I would say his problem is NOT finger pointing. He is too loyal to his people. He should have gotten rid of Capers and other underperforming staff long ago. How you can call him a finger pointer is just ridiculous.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say his problem is NOT finger pointing. He is too loyal to his people. He should have gotten rid of Capers and other underperforming staff long ago. How you can call him a finger pointer is just ridiculous.
Most of the stuff I read in here is ridiculous lol.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Might be semantics again. To me, finger-pointing is to deflect one's blame. Until this year, many/most would point to the string of playoff years, division titles, win/loss record and the like, call the fans 'spoiled' because of that 'success'. Not much need to point fingers when many/most are patting you on the back.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the stuff I read in here is ridiculous lol.
It's really easy dontcha know. If a player becomes great, he fell into Ted's lap. If a player doesn't work out for whatever reason, poor work ethic, injury, quits, just doesn't have it, it's all Ted's fault. He sucks. If MM scripts plays, regardless if it leads to the #1 early scoring team in the league when he is doing it, it's stupid. When a team loads up to stop the run and our offense moves away from the run, MM is stupid for calling those plays or he's stupid for letting Rodgers or Hundley switch out of run plays to pass plays. If MM doesn't make changes, he's just too stubborn. If MM does make changes he's finger pointing and not holding himself responsible. LOL It's really that simple. Whatever angle can fit the narrative, it's the "right one" LOL

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sarcastic though it may be, the above (from my personal POV) is more or less right on. As a fan, who makes nothing from professional sports, and for whom job retention/promotions/raises when I was working were based on results, I feel (1) that this is a reasonable place to blow off steam/vent my frustrations and (2) if we just let 'the people who get paid to do it/are in the know' ride on their laurels, this place would have threads with a positive OP and a hundred Agrees/Likes/Winners.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might be semantics again. To me, finger-pointing is to deflect one's blame. Until this year, many/most would point to the string of playoff years, division titles, win/loss record and the like, call the fans 'spoiled' because of that 'success'. Not much need to point fingers when many/most are patting you on the back.
Especially with TT and MM, it did not matter what fans thought. They both did what they thought was correct. TT said nothing in public nor did MM. But behind closed doors they both speak honestly and plainly. Neither of these guys are knee jerk and it may seem to some that there is contentment. But they are both very professional and don't publicly discuss internal matters.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy being a great coach here...during press conference had this to say about Hundley: "I felt he should have been better prepared for the situation. But once he got his opportunity, he maxed out."

First, who is the supposed QB-guru who should be accountable for preparing him?

Second, McCarthy was vehemently confident that Hundley was ready and had been in McCarthy's program for years (though somehow still unready apparently) and yet, what we saw from him this year was him "maxed out"? Sorry, but McCarthy has shown that he can guide a team with HoF QB play to the playoffs and, when his GM and DC have a great year, he can win a Super Bowl. Outside of that, I fail to see a history of stellar coaching.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you mistake a coach going to bat for his players in front of the press as a coach that thinks he has a guy that is the next coming of Aaron Rodgers at his disposal. Even players that probably deserve to be called out in public don't.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Especially with TT and MM, it did not matter what fans thought. They both did what they thought was correct. TT said nothing in public nor did MM. But behind closed doors they both speak honestly and plainly. Neither of these guys are knee jerk and it may seem to some that there is contentment. But they are both very professional and don't publicly discuss internal matters.

Provokes some random thoughts -

Maybe the fans should be considered? Certainly not in specifics instances, but they way you put it, this entertainment enterprise ignores the consumer.
If MM didn't say anything publicly, where did the finger-pointing accusation come from?
How do you know of what they speak behind closed doors?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Provokes some random thoughts -

Maybe the fans should be considered? Certainly not in specifics instances, but they way you put it, this entertainment enterprise ignores the consumer.
If MM didn't say anything publicly, where did the finger-pointing accusation come from?
How do you know of what they speak behind closed doors?
What finger pointing? A poster here claimed MM was finger pointing because he was firing people.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you mistake a coach going to bat for his players in front of the press as a coach that thinks he has a guy that is the next coming of Aaron Rodgers at his disposal. Even players that probably deserve to be called out in public don't.

Yes, however he went out of his way to blame Hundley for not being prepared while McCarthy is guy in charge of ensuring he's prepared; at least that's the narrative for why McCarthy is so good, because he's a QB coach.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy being a great coach here...during press conference had this to say about Hundley: "I felt he should have been better prepared for the situation. But once he got his opportunity, he maxed out."

First, who is the supposed QB-guru who should be accountable for preparing him?

Second, McCarthy was vehemently confident that Hundley was ready and had been in McCarthy's program for years (though somehow still unready apparently) and yet, what we saw from him this year was him "maxed out"? Sorry, but McCarthy has shown that he can guide a team with HoF QB play to the playoffs and, when his GM and DC have a great year, he can win a Super Bowl. Outside of that, I fail to see a history of stellar coaching.

This silly argument again..... fine... it's hard to make an assessment without a baseline. Sure a lot of us are curious to know how McCarthy would do on a TEAM built without Aaron Rodgers.... but we have never seen it. Making arguments about games played with multiple backup QBs none of whom are or were any good.. is pointless. Mcarthy is not the GM so blaming him for them is also pointless. Therefore we have no way to know how good he might be on another team without a Hall of fame QB. Then again how good is any coach without that...

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree he should have made changes long ago, but my point is that he is doing it now because he has no choice if he wants to keep his job. I watch his pressers and he almost never offers any personal accountability for what happens in games.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realize your a Vikings fan, so obviously handicapped mentally, but even taking that into consideration you have some odd interpretations. Saying they needed to have him better prepared for the situation they put him in, is hardly throwing him under the bus. If anything it's putting that bus directly on the staff's back
Heck, I threw him under the bus.... drove over him... backed up and drove over him again lol but I was still hopelessly rooting for him every Sunday.... but alas I don't think all the coaching in the world is going to make him an NFL QB.... seems like a nice guy though lol.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM extension seems more like a warning than anything. However if he ends up getting Russ Ball in as GM then he'll have a friend in high places with the power to hire and fire the head coach. Pretty sure he would feel pretty good about job security at that point. Maybe him bringing in a different OC will help bring some fresh ideas to the offense.

GB2016

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect anything more to be done until a new GM is named. No DC worth a salt is going to take a job where he thinks the headcoach is gone after a year or less. They're going to want to see the stability and feel pretty good they have at least 2 seasons to work in. A coordinator won't even get in half their playbook in a season, it usually takes 2-3 seasons to fully implement a defense.

If the new DC signs a contract longer than MM it won't matter. He will still get paid. If you think about it, this may be attractive to the new guy. If he does get released before his contract is up, he can say he never had the time to redo the D. On the other hand if he doesn't get released, he'll have the time to implement his system.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need to hire a GM they don't care about because, and here me out, they can offer a draft pick (a first-rounder for all I care) and trade for Belichick! Perfect scenario. Belichick is coach AND GM and he goes to the only team in the NFL that has the perfect power structure for him, no owner to undermine him! He's obviously a massive improvement over McCarthy and I don't think it's possible for anyone to suggest he's also not a very good GM. It's the perfect answer. With the recent news about the issues within the Pats and the owner obviously choosing Brady over Belichick, the Packers are the obvious choice for Belichick to go to and stick it to the Pats.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This silly argument again..... fine... it's hard to make an assessment without a baseline. Sure a lot of us are curious to know how McCarthy would do on a TEAM built without Aaron Rodgers.... but we have never seen it. Making arguments about games played with multiple backup QBs none of whom are or were any good.. is pointless. Mcarthy is not the GM so blaming him for them is also pointless. Therefore we have no way to know how good he might be on another team without a Hall of fame QB. Then again how good is any coach without that...

Silly? Pointing out that McCarthy has historically fielded a very basic offense that does not incorporate many modern wrinkles is silly? Pointing out that he was ADAMANT that Hundley was ready because he had been around and that McCarthy is given a lot of leeway because he's supposedly a QB-guru is silly? By your logic, it is no coaches fault for being bad if they don't have a HoF QB. The Browns coach can't be fairly evaluated because he's had to deal with many different QBs. John Fox with the Bears could not be fairly evaluated because he didn't have a great QB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet if someone put up 3 basic formations from our basic offense you'd be wrong every time in predicting what and why they are running a play.

The only reason it looked basic one year was because the top 3 receivers couldn't run it like they're supposed to. Every other year it's been among the best in the league.

Nils Zippo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Knowledgeable football folks and Packer fans in the know can and will tell you the problem still exists. You can't have a future Hall of Fame Quarterback and a future Hall of Fame Defensive Coordinator who are smarter than the head coach. And this personally disappoints me as a lifelong fan that the Board didn't recognize this problem 6-7 years ago; really before that. Honestly never should've been given the job. Yep that's right we very likely could've had more than one title over the past decade, more than "XLV" if the Board would've fixed this problem years ago....WAKE UP....Packer fans, the problem still remains.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
knowledgeable football folks also know that THE board has less collective knowledge about football than this discussion board. And we're scraping the bottom of the barrel in here at times.

Members online

Latest posts