Mike McCarthy 1-year extension

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Say what you want about McCarthy, but I think this was the correct move. He might not be a transcendent offensive mind, but he and Aaron have worked a long time together and I think that the trust and continuity in that respect is absolutely critical to preserve. Assuming #12 stays healthy, you don't have to worry about the offense being good enough under McCarthy's system. That much is proven.

There's absolutely no reason to try to get cute with the offense.

Good move.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We win, all is good and everyone is a pro bowler. We lose - fire them all. Usually in consecutive weeks. That is what fans do, overdo it.
But it is possible to enjoy the game for what it is. I promise. It is possible to recognize greatness despite seeing the weak areas too. i know the ultimate goal is the Lombardi Trophy and winning is the name of the game. But there is so much more to the game of football. To never recognize it, see it, appreciate it, acknowledge it? They're missing most of what is important.

Gonepackin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely horrible and hypocritical move by Mark Murphy. First he says it is up to new GM, then says McDoughnuts is the guy?!!

Mike should have been fired of the last two NFCC appearances, absolutely horrific and embarrassing. He did nothing to save his job this year. Stubbornly suck with Hundley, did nothing to have as a fall back. Rodgers isn’t Favre in terms of durability (plus it’s a new era with Concussion protocol). Mike was not prepared for a Rodgers injury. He showed to be completely incompetent. He is also extremely rude to media. He doesn’t represent the organization well.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This actually happened during the season. Just being reported now

That makes things clearer. I had thought that a new GM would go a year with MM and then see, such as TT did with Sherman. That and at this stage, they probably wouldn't have any of their top picks still available. Odd that it took so long to report, though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
But it is possible to enjoy the game for what it is. I promise. It is possible to recognize greatness despite seeing the weak areas too. i know the ultimate goal is the Lombardi Trophy and winning is the name of the game. But there is so much more to the game of football. To never recognize it, see it, appreciate it, acknowledge it? They're missing most of what is important.

Well said. While the Lombardi is the ultimate goal and maybe Belichick has made it look easier than it is supposed to be, a lot of stars have to align for that one team that finally takes it home at the end of the year. I wouldn't trade the ride the Packers have taken me on over my lifetime, but i will say the ride over the last 22+ years has been the most fun, SB win or no SB win.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely horrible and hypocritical move by Mike Murphy. First he says it is up to new GM, then says McDoughnuts is the guy?!!

Mike should have been fired of the last two NFCC appearances, absolutely horrific and embarrassing. He did nothing to save his job this year. Stubbornly suck with Hundley, did nothing to have as a fall back. Rodgers isn’t Favre in terms of durability (plus it’s a new era with Concussion protocol). Mike was not prepared for a Rodgers injury. He showed to be completely incompetent. He is also extremely rude to media. He doesn’t represent the organization well.
lol gone packin.... why don't you find something you can actually disagree with instead of just acting childish because not everybody agrees with you.

Gonepackin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol gone packin.... why don't you find something you can actually disagree with instead of just acting childish because not everybody agrees with you.
Childish? It’s hilarious and childish that people ignore Mike’s failures. It’s okay to be on the fire TT and DC bandwagon, but not MM? So the guy up and down are responsible, but not the guy in the middle? Literally a six game win streak in 2010-2011 is the real only thing the man has done. Also his talent senses? He helped SF go with Smith over Rodgers.

And I’ve directed no name calling at members here, yet you do. Hmmm what does that’s make you?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Childish? It’s hilarious and childish that people ignore Mike’s failures. It’s okay to be on the fire TT and DC bandwagon, but not MM? So the guy up and down are responsible, but not the guy in the middle? Literally a six game win streak in 2010-2011 is the real only thing the man has done. Also his talent senses? He helped SF go with Smith over Rodgers.

And I’ve directed no name calling at members here, yet you do. Hmmm what does that’s make you?
I put a disagree on your opinion laden post because... I disagree with it. You responded by finding a post of mine that was a simple statement of fact with no opinion expressed... and slapping it with a "disagree" tag... since I said nothing for you to "disagree" with... I'd call that childish retalliation.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Absolutely horrible and hypocritical move by Mike Murphy. First he says it is up to new GM, then says McDoughnuts is the guy?!!

First of all...it's Mark Murphy. So are you calling for his head too?

Second, was it MM's choice to stick with Hundley or was he playing the hand dealt to him by TT? What option was given MM as a Fallback?

You do realize that although MM is the head coach, it was TT who was responsible for giving him Rodgers, Hundley, Callahan, etc. to work with. If those players didn't work out, it wasn't McCarthy's job to go out and trade for another guy.

Gonepackin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I put a disagree on your opinion laden post because... I disagree with it. You responded by finding a post of mine that was a simple statement of fact with no opinion expressed... and slapping it with a "disagree" tag... since I said nothing for you to "disagree" with... I'd call that childish retalliation.

Oops I meant to agree with it.

Gonepackin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all...it's Mark Murphy. So are you calling for his head too?

Second, was it MM's choice to stick with Hundley or was he playing the hand dealt to him by TT? What option was given MM as a Fallback?

You do realize that although MM is the head coach, it was TT who was responsible for giving him Rodgers, Hundley, Callahan, etc. to work with. If those players didn't work out, it wasn't McCarthy's job to go out and trade for another guy.

That was a typo autocorrect mistake.

That’s the 10000 dollar question, but they were always walking hand in hand with every move. The thing is what did McCarthy do to prepare Hundley during preseason and practices in the event of a Rodgers injury. Rodgers was already concussion projne and arm injury prone. McCarthy couldn’t adjust with the people he had. The Oline was awful, he owns what his coordinators do. How is Mike still around when we’ve had a revolving door of coordinators at ST and Offense? Play calling responsibilities have gone back and forth...He owns everything Dom did. Mike is the Head Coach and the buck stops with him. What a horrible leader to put the failings on subordinates.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

That’s the 10000 dollar question, but they were always walking hand in hand with every move. The thing is what did McCarthy do to prepare Hundley during preseason and practices in the event of a Rodgers injury. Rodgers was already concussion projne and arm injury prone. McCarthy couldn’t adjust with the people he had. The Oline was awful, he owns what his coordinators do. How is Mike still around when we’ve had a revolving door of coordinators at ST and Offense? Play calling responsibilities have gone back and forth...He owns everything Dom did. Mike is the Head Coach and the buck stops with him. What a horrible leader to put the failings on subordinates.

Hundley had a lot more people fooled than just MM. Other teams were offering draft picks for the guy. Fans were enamored with his Rookie preseason. While I get we are all disappointed that what Hundley showed in preseason and practices didn't translate completely well in games that counted, MM shouldn't be the only one taking the hit on that.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think there is no question that McCarthy has made mistakes... but I don't think that replacing him is warranted. He works well with Aaron Rodgers and I see no good reason to upset that balance. I can't blame him for Hundley's poor play because I truly do not believe that Hundley has the tools necessary to be a QB in this league. As far as his record without Rodgers is concerned... I see that as data with no significance. The team is not designed to be successful without a good QB... and it is not Mcarthy's job to build the team.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They may have done the extension to help MM's ego. No good DC is going to come in unless he knows the HC who hires him is safe for at least a few years. I think new GM replaces MM. But it is the powers to be at Lombardi Avenue who decide those things,so it is wait and see.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it's been said in here already .... the extension actually happened earlier in the year... and is only now being reported.

As far as the no GM thing ... that is incorrect as well. Thompson is still GM technically. He will remain in the position until a replacement has been chosen. That being said, it's not like he is the only person in the personel department.

Very interested on the exact timing of this. I have to guess they were afraid to announce it at a certain time (after the Aaron injury). So no matter how bad this team performed post Aaron injury (which was very bad), McCarthy was safe. I have a hard time believing they wouldn't have announced an extension the first 5 games of the year when things were going good.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very interested on the exact timing of this. I have to guess they were afraid to announce it at a certain time (after the Aaron injury). So no matter how bad this team performed post Aaron injury (which was very bad), McCarthy was safe. I have a hard time believing they wouldn't have announced an extension the first 5 games of the year when things were going good.
Agreed... I'm not sure on the timing ... but find it likely that it was done after Rodgers' injury.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Like has been posted we can do a lot worse then MM. Not so sure about Capers and TT was at the end of his rope. Overall the offense has not been the problem. I have some issues with MM like a lot of people but overall the offense has a done a good job developing talent across the board. I can say we certainly didn't want to lose Campen and I have concerns with pulling MM away from Rodgers.

It's not a slam dunk to get rid of MM and its not like they extended him 5 years. He is still on the hot seat. I actually like how this has worked out.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Absolutely horrible and hypocritical move by Mark Murphy. First he says it is up to new GM, then says McDoughnuts is the guy?!!

Others have addressed many of your points, but the last one in regards to the media? Give me a break. If McCarthy is rude to the media, what the heck would you call what Bill Belichick does? McCarthy for the most part is more than willing to answer most questions that are presented to him. Sometimes he can be off put-ish, but so can Aaron Rodgers. I guess we should get rid of him too.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Stubbornly stuck? Are you sure this is a true statement?

Could it be possible he wanted a diff vet qb brought in 2016 but Ted said no?

Maybe MM hates Brett, or maybe he truly believes Brett was OK.. Maybe in practice Brett is awesome?

But don't throw something out there as stubbornly stuck with Brett if you don't know for sure

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't you hire the GM first? I suspect the new GM is chosen internal candidate and agreed to give MM a year to correct things. Extension will allow them to sign a DC. Suspect he is outside the org and wants a 2 year assurance.

I'm betting the "search" won't take very long and they will announce the hiring of Wolf or Gutekunst by week's end. My gut says Gutekunst because he pulled his name from the 49ers job to stay in GB last year and MM said around the same time they had a plan in place for when TT's time is over. Sure, he's interviewing in Houston today, but it doesn't mean he's not interviewing with the Packers too.

Members online

Latest posts