Marquez Valdes-Scantling

GB psyco

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets not forget MVS is still rather young, it took Adams a few years to get going. I just called him 17 for the first few seasons, he couldn't hang on to the ball to save his life. Lets not show MVS the door quite yet

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And let’s trade away draft capital and waste cap space that may send one of the leagues best blind side protectors of said QB to another team for a part time rental that isn’t remotely the reason the Packers are having some troubles. THAT makes sense lol
Who said they shouldn’t sign Bak? Enjoy wallowing in mediocrity while a generational qb ages out. There will be plenty of time for mediocrity when Rodgers leaves.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said they shouldn’t sign Bak? Enjoy wallowing in mediocrity while a generational qb ages out. There will be plenty of time for mediocrity when Rodgers leaves.
I forgot, you’re one that thinks they can do anything with the cap.

anyway, enjoy the delusions a rental WR was the difference between a super bowl or not this year.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, let’s pizz away our HOF an for another year. Rodgers ain’t getting any younger.

Say they go all in this year, thereby wrecking the next couple years. Guess what? You’re pissing away your HOF QB again. And guess who would be here *****ing about it? That’s a rhetorical question btw.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the other blatantly obvious problem after last season, our run defense has been more of a burden. But whereas the defense is far from being complete, a pick at WR would have had the chance of making our offense just that. which inevitably would have resulted in having less of our so-so defense on the field. And funny thing btw... we havent addressed the glaring need of our run D in the off season either. The fact that some (not saying you are) are defending the lack of moves by our FO to these two most blatantly obvious problems is mind boggling and frankly, kind of annoying to me. But sure, lets judge the off season in 3 years after we have seen Love, Deguara and Dillon pan out and AFTER ARod's window has all but closed. Smh.

And its great that we are 3rd in scoring offense, but may I remind you that against top tier defenses we have been subpar at best? It's not that Arod is trusting MVS, its that he has had to. And while MVS has definitely improved, I dont think he will ever be dependable. Ditto for anyone in the current WR corps not named Davante.

To me, there really is no other conclusion than that the opportunity costs of drafting a back up QB, RB and TE in the first 3 rounds (given how far we got last year and where we are at in Arod's career) were simply too high.

31 against a top 5 defense is subpar at best?

31 against a top 5 defense with 4 turnovers is subpar at best?!

I wouldn’t have drafted the way the Packers did. But, I mean, the offense for the most part, is fine. Could it be better? Of course. But it is absolutely good enough, and they have shown that all season long.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets not forget MVS is still rather young, it took Adams a few years to get going. I just called him 17 for the first few seasons, he couldn't hang on to the ball to save his life. Lets not show MVS the door quite yet

While we shouldn't cut MVS now because the trade deadline is gone and we really don't have another deep threat able to take the heat off of Adams, we can certainly upgrade over him easily. Simple solution.

Fire Brian Gute and hire the Seahawks WR scout to be the GM. We need to take the Seahawks approach to drafting. We need their scout because he's run circles around Gute drafting superstars like Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf who Gute passes up for garbage cans like ESB and Shepard.

Kick Gutes butt outta here and get someone from the Seahawks front office in here now and we'll join them in having the league's best receivers instantly.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Say they go all in this year, thereby wrecking the next couple years. Guess what? You’re pissing away your HOF QB again. And guess who would be here *****ing about it? That’s a rhetorical question btw.
Do you remember when the Packers rented Andre Rison for a year?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I remember most was not keeping Rison the next year. That was a real bummer. And who is Rison being compared too? He was a terrific receiver. Fast, great patterns, and just incredible hands. He was a great receiver.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They rented Keith Jackson too.

No, not really. They traded for him knowing they had room to sign him again. The situation with Fuller is not the same.

Rison, as you should know, was a FA add. They did not trade for him. Did not have to give up an asset.

In a year when you know the salary cap is declining, it adds a premium to draft picks. You just cannot send out a day 2 pick for a player that you will get 8 or so games out of. It doesn’t make sense long term. I like Fuller, I do, but he’s not the difference between a SB and not a SB.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe I missed when we traded for Rison..... Either that or you're conflating a WAIVER CLAIM with trading a 2nd round pick

Bringing in Rison was the equivalent of bringing in Howard Green or possibly Stills if no one else claims him.

(Good lord I can't believe you actually made that comparison between Rison and Fuller)

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I
Maybe I missed when we traded for Rison..... Either that or you're conflating a WAIVER CLAIM with trading a 2nd round pick

Bringing in Rison was the equivalent of bringing in Howard Green or possibly Stills if no one else claims him.

(Good lord I can't believe you actually made that comparison between Rison and Fuller)
The Packers went for it in 96 and it paid off. Gute and the rest are afraid and being conservative, wallowing in mediocrity. Fuller is better. Imagine the scoring AR could do with him and Adams.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember having a dominant defense and mvp special teams return man too. Don’t see any of those around here these days though do you?
Totally agree. I wonder if Fuller can return kicks.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't remember on that fumble. Was Shepherd in the end zone and brought it out. I thought that was the case.

Shepherd caught that kickoff on the three yard line.

I can't remember if it was Blankenship on kickoffs... If so, it may have just been his leg strength not being able to get to the end zone.

Punter Rigoberto Sanchez kicks off for the Colts.

Why when we already know what he is? You can find a fast deep threat in the draft for cheap.. why would you sign up for a potential "expensive contract" on a mediocre receiver and you already know what you have

The Packers should definitely not break the bank to re-sign MVS after next season but he could fill a valuable role for the team as a deep threat.

He shouldn't be the #2 receiver on the depth chart though.

Next summer, if MVS and EQ even have a shot at making the roster then we need a new GM.

Both MVS and EQ will definitely receive a chance to make the roster next offseason. If the Packers find five or six better receivers that would be awesome but not realistic to expect.

I like Ervin a lot. Just don't like him for punt returns. Would rather Shepherd did that.

Shepherd hasn't done anything as a punt returner justifying being confident in him in that role.

Fire Brian Gute and hire the Seahawks WR scout to be the GM. We need to take the Seahawks approach to drafting. We need their scout because he's run circles around Gute drafting superstars like Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf who Gute passes up for garbage cans like ESB and Shepard.

Kick Gutes butt outta here and get someone from the Seahawks front office in here now and we'll join them in having the league's best receivers instantly.

I'm already looking forward to your posts complaining about the defense being on pace to be the worst in league history after making that change.

In a year when you know the salary cap is declining, it adds a premium to draft picks.

True, unfortunately Gutekunst wasted the team's first four picks this year on backups.

I wonder if Fuller can return kicks.

Fuller has a total of two kickoff returns in his career with both attempts coming back in 2016.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shepherd hasn't done anything as a punt returner justifying being confident in him in that role.
Shepherd has not done anything...yet, on punt returns. I always think he has a chance to break one though. I think he should make fewer fair catches. But I am not comfortable with Ervin. Kick-offs...OK. jmo

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shepherd has not done anything...yet, on punt returns. I always think he has a chance to break one though. I think he should make fewer fair catches. But I am not comfortable with Ervin. Kick-offs...OK. jmo
why not Ervin? He's the better return man. He's more elusive, he's faster, he can set up blockers etc. There was one a punt last year I remember he set up to catch with a defender bearing down on him, I think it was against the Bears even, and he intentionally set up to his left of where the ball was coming down. As the defender started to break down to make a tackle when he caught it, he started running to his right away from the defender, caught it on the move and had a big return. I have zero confidence when I see Shepherd back there. He's hesitant, if he does break thru I don't think he's fast enough to go the distance at all. He actually looks slow to me.

Members online

Latest posts