Marquez Valdes-Scantling

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Ok my last comment on MVS, let’s stop the cut him talk, it was his first fumble in 42 games yes this one was costly to winning, but the Packers had plenty of chances to put this game away, and to hear MLF addressing why the D plays so far off in 3rd downs is a little late in coming, someone on this D has got to be the guy(s) to take over a game, or it’s going to suck again watching the SB and no Packers...

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last few years it seems more rookie WRs have been producing more and earlier than in the past. I don't know if they are more NFL ready coming out or if teams are realizing that they spent a high pick on the guy so they are getting them involved earlier. Probably a bit of both..
It does seem like this year's crop of rookie WRs are producing at a high level. The only guy I don't hear about is Jerry Jeudy and I thought he was the top choice. Do you know where he went? Thanks!

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
It does seem like this year's crop of rookie WRs are producing at a high level. The only guy I don't hear about is Jerry Jeudy and I thought he was the top choice. Do you know where he went? Thanks!

All Drafted WRs in 2020 with current stats -

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
... cut to save space (shortage of electrons on the horizon)...
and MVS is 25/515 with 4 TD. About where the end of the 1st round guys are. Some better, some worse.
MVS NEEDS to get better at things other than just "go deep"..
You should listen to the radio guys some game. They rave about his
very good blocking.
Almost every DA17 quick out that gains 25+ yards or every 15 yard end run is made possible by MVS' downfield blocking or sealing the edge -- or so it seems.
There has to be someone on this roster besides Sheppard to take on that duty. How about M. Taylor? Or QSB? A backup DB?
Swervin Ervin is hurt. I believe KR & PR is his side hustle.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Ervin a lot. Just don't like him for punt returns. Would rather Shepherd did that. But I don't like Shepherd for kick offs. I think Ervin or someone else should do that. I think in some cases (like here on The Packers), these are different skillsets.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Thanks ARP. Interesting stuff. Painful though, as our first round pick could have been better utilized. A WR or ILB would have better served this team than a 3rd string QB sitting on the bench.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and MVS is 25/515 with 4 TD. About where the end of the 1st round guys are. Some better, some worse.
You should listen to the radio guys some game. They rave about his
Almost every DA17 quick out that gains 25+ yards or every 15 yard end run is made possible by MVS' downfield blocking or sealing the edge -- or so it seems.

Yes, I realize Ervin is hurt. I hope he returns soon.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your point being? This WR class is outperforming prior year's classes considerably... And if you are looking at stats, maybe you should also take into consideration the conversion rate, in which MVS has a measly 49.4%. Pretty much all the day 1 and 2 rooks are doing considerably better than him... Hell, pretty much ALL rookies. And that in their first year.

Less stalling the offense and more moving the chains would help this team tremendously, which is precisely what another pick at WR would have meant. There is close to no debate that a pick in the first 3 rounds would significantly contribute to our WR corps. Im convinced that most would knock MVS down a peg on the depth chart too.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS came up limping after playing practice, said to be an Achilles injury. no word yet on how bad.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your point being? This WR class is outperforming prior year's classes considerably... And if you are looking at stats, maybe you should also take into consideration the conversion rate, in which MVS has a measly 49.4%. Pretty much all the day 1 and 2 rooks are doing considerably better than him... Hell, pretty much ALL rookies. And that in their first year.

Less stalling the offense and more moving the chains would help this team tremendously, which is precisely what another pick at WR would have meant. There is close to no debate that a pick in the first 3 rounds would significantly contribute to our WR corps. Im convinced that most would knock MVS down a peg on the depth chart too.

The offense is 3rd in the league in scoring per game. I completely agree that drafting a WR would have helped the team, but that isn’t what is preventing this team from winning games right now either.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS has shown signs of improvement. I'll guarantee you no one feels worse than he does right now. This was also the first fumble of his career in 42 games. We've come this far with the kid, let's hang in a little longer
Well put Packer. I think the question is can he grow more as a receiver? We know he can block, we know he can outrun most DBs for a long ball. Can he refine his skills to do more, as Adams did in his third year? At some point he's gonna slow down, and when those days come, he'll need to be more versatile.

This is MVS' third year as a pro, so we should have seen more improvement by now IMO. Cutting him though is an overreaction. Whether he'll be here after this year is an open question, but he's earned the right to keep trying to improve. His OT fumble Sunday was just the cherry on top of a miserable 2H for the whole offense. Just like wins, losses are a team effort (or lack thereof).

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard he got hurt in practice. MCL maybe. Not sure because I have not seen it anywhere since.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard he got hurt in practice. MCL maybe. Not sure because I have not seen it anywhere since.
I haven't seen it yet either. Hopefully he won't miss any games. We're pretty skinny at WR.......

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Update on my earlier post. it's an Achilles injury, he didn't practice today but was out riding the bike

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well put Packer. I think the question is can he grow more as a receiver? We know he can block, we know he can outrun most DBs for a long ball. Can he refine his skills to do more, as Adams did in his third year? At some point he's gonna slow down, and when those days come, he'll need to be more versatile.

This is MVS' third year as a pro, so we should have seen more improvement by now IMO. Cutting him though is an overreaction. Whether he'll be here after this year is an open question, but he's earned the right to keep trying to improve. His OT fumble Sunday was just the cherry on top of a miserable 2H for the whole offense. Just like wins, losses are a team effort (or lack thereof).

I've noticed two issues with him but I don't know if they can be coached out or worked out. Often tall lanky guys have trouble making sharp cuts out of their breaks. But number one is he seems to have body control issues adjusting to the ball. Like you said Joe, it's year three time to get hot.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That turnover was what I felt did us in. After an abysmal 3rd quarter that included only 2 - 3 and outs he fumbles and makes our defense head right back out onto the field. Sure, MVS's fumble was the nail in the coffin, but taking the whole game into perspective, Shepherd's fumble was worse. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't even need to bring that out of the endzone. I'm not allowing any kicks to be returned out of the endzone if I'm coaching. There is just too much risk vs reward in bringing it out.
Sheperd's was as bad, but we still had time to recover. MVS's was in OT with no chance left for the offense.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone watch Fuller yesterday....compare that with MVS. Gute should take much blame here. Sure, he saved that second round pick. Our second rounder this years is useless.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone watch Fuller yesterday....compare that with MVS. Gute should take much blame here. Sure, he saved that second round pick. Our second rounder this years is useless.

If you trade for Fuller, it would have been much more difficult to sign Bakhtiari to an extension. Might have been possible, but very difficult. If you did manage to sign Bakh, I don’t think there’s any way you could also sign Fuller after trading a 2nd for him.

That high of a pick, with a declining salary cap, just doesn’t make sense.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you trade for Fuller, it would have been much more difficult to sign Bakhtiari to an extension. Might have been possible, but very difficult. If you did manage to sign Bakh, I don’t think there’s any way you could also sign Fuller after trading a 2nd for him.

Going to the Super Bowl makes sense.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going to the Super Bowl makes sense.

Fuller hardly guarantees a Super Bowl.

And potentially wrecking any shot of it next year doesn’t make any sense either.

Bakhtiari is far more important than any WR we could have brought in.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The offense is 3rd in the league in scoring per game. I completely agree that drafting a WR would have helped the team, but that isn’t what is preventing this team from winning games right now either.
Yes, the other blatantly obvious problem after last season, our run defense has been more of a burden. But whereas the defense is far from being complete, a pick at WR would have had the chance of making our offense just that. which inevitably would have resulted in having less of our so-so defense on the field. And funny thing btw... we havent addressed the glaring need of our run D in the off season either. The fact that some (not saying you are) are defending the lack of moves by our FO to these two most blatantly obvious problems is mind boggling and frankly, kind of annoying to me. But sure, lets judge the off season in 3 years after we have seen Love, Deguara and Dillon pan out and AFTER ARod's window has all but closed. Smh.

And its great that we are 3rd in scoring offense, but may I remind you that against top tier defenses we have been subpar at best? It's not that Arod is trusting MVS, its that he has had to. And while MVS has definitely improved, I dont think he will ever be dependable. Ditto for anyone in the current WR corps not named Davante.

To me, there really is no other conclusion than that the opportunity costs of drafting a back up QB, RB and TE in the first 3 rounds (given how far we got last year and where we are at in Arod's career) were simply too high.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sure, let’s pizz away our HOF an for another year. Rodgers ain’t getting any younger.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, let’s pizz away our HOF an for another year. Rodgers ain’t getting any younger.
And let’s trade away draft capital and waste cap space that may send one of the leagues best blind side protectors of said QB to another team for a part time rental that isn’t remotely the reason the Packers are having some troubles. THAT makes sense lol