Marquez Valdes-Scantling

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One week ago he was our best receiver. Calm down.

Problem is that says a lot about the state of our WR corps when that's the case.... Subpar

NOW.... Let me be very clear here so nobody gets it twisted

MVS should NOT be singled out for the loss. He unfortunately was the victim of the old bugaboo where the man who makes the last mistake becomes the biggest scapegoat. We committed 6 turnovers as a team and made a ton of other mistakes and he was only responsible for one of them, albeit very ill timed.

However, I think the bigger problem is that MVS is NEVER EVER going to be any better than this, and anyone who thinks so is just delusional. What we've seen this year is as good as it's going to get. He and ESB need to go once the year is up.

Fire Brian Gute that stupid clown hack GM. Kick his stupid *** outta here and get a GM who's going to go all in on putting star power in at WR and draft the next Desmond Howard kick returner here. There's nothing but bum ratfinks running our front office, and Mark Murphy needs to clean it out.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's an overreaction to want MVS released based on his fumble in overtime. Gutekunst deserves a huge amount of blame for the position to lack talent requiring the team to rely on MVS that much though.

I don't want to cut him but I think we probably should stop using him as much more than a deep threat to take the top of the defense every now and then.

MVS is best used as a deep threat though.

We committed 6 turnovers as a team and made a ton of other mistakes and he was only responsible for one of them, albeit very ill timed.

Just for the record, the Packers had four turnovers against the Colts.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an overreaction to want MVS released based on his fumble in overtime. Gutekunst deserves a huge amount of blame for the position to lack talent requiring the team to rely on MVS that much though.

Completely agree, more and more Im starting to LOL at the posters here who have said that we couldnt have drafted a rookie who would make a significant impact on the team and improve our super bowl chances. Have they missed how historically loaded this WR class was? Gute deserves all the blame for not addressing the position in the first 2 days of the draft, just like he refused to do it the year prior, plain and simple.

That being said, Im fine with MVS staying on the team next year. He shouldnt be anything better than a 4th, maybe 3th option however.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ignorance illustrated in so many sticking MVS on the proverbial stick and throwing him over the fire. Stop.

Merely because he made the last mistake in a TERRIBLE played game you're going to throw it as his fault for the whole mistake? A 3rd year, 5th round draft pick that up until the NFL literally was never asked to do more than run fast? C'mon fellas...let's be a little realistic.

MVS is one of if not the leading YPC in the NFL guys, he literally is one of the best pure deep ball threats in the NFL and in that he is the PERFECT guy to have in a WR room for us, just shouldn't be the #2 guy a team depends on.

*checked* He is leading the league presently in yards per catch by an astounding 1.9 yard spread.

Let's also not pretend ball security once he has it has been an issue, first fumble in his NFL career.

This is not an MVS problem, the dude still continues to improve...last three weeks I've liked more of his routes, he has even sat in zone coverage a time or two at the right time...he is progressing.

His catch percentage is just not where anyone wants it to be, himself included. However, DEEP ball guys almost ALWAYS have lower percentages - Kenny Stills is a great example, he hovers around that 50-59% range and isn't as much of a pure deep guy like MVS. If MVS could get above and around 55% given the nature of many of his targets that would be excellent for the team.

What would be even better is for MVS to not be on a team where he arguably is our #2....it just isn't him.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Now Sheppard on the other hand...He better pray he has a job tomorrow after that fumble.

That turnover was what I felt did us in. After an abysmal 3rd quarter that included only 2 - 3 and outs he fumbles and makes our defense head right back out onto the field. Sure, MVS's fumble was the nail in the coffin, but taking the whole game into perspective, Shepherd's fumble was worse. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't even need to bring that out of the endzone. I'm not allowing any kicks to be returned out of the endzone if I'm coaching. There is just too much risk vs reward in bringing it out.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS is what he is. And he’s not going anywhere until someone much better replaces him and 2-3 other guys push him off the roster.

Shepherd on the other hand, he should not have been back out to receive kicks after that fumble. Bad decisions and then that. He doesn’t offer much. At least Davis used to break one once and a while.

There has to be someone on this roster besides Sheppard to take on that duty. How about M. Taylor? Or QSB? A backup DB?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That turnover was what I felt did us in. After an abysmal 3rd quarter that included only 2 - 3 and outs he fumbles and makes our defense head right back out onto the field. Sure, MVS's fumble was the nail in the coffin, but taking the whole game into perspective, Shepherd's fumble was worse. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't even need to bring that out of the endzone. I'm not allowing any kicks to be returned out of the endzone if I'm coaching. There is just too much risk vs reward in bringing it out.

I agree but you gotta give Indy their due for not kicking it thru the end zone multiple times and forcing us to try to return it.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cutting MVS is a bad idea remember Devante had his problems with drops in the beginning of his career, look at him now! MVS has the speed and talent to be a true #2 if he can do a Devante remake give him a minute b4 we throw him out, this D needs more work than offense, imao

Not even close to the same situation. Davante showed immediately that he was going to develop into a star. I remember someone posting a gif of him on here, running a route against casey hayward during his first training camp. It was the exact same thing you see him exploit game in game out now. Mvs doesn't have that kind of movement skills, yes he can run fast in a straight line but his change of direction explosiveness isnt anywhere near the level of Adams and it never will be. His ceiling is a good 3 on a good team but if he's your 4 now your talking. His limitations make him the epitome of a role player. But he could develop into a really good one...

As for the fumble people are ridiculously dumb sending him death threats. Honestly I don't like that play call to that player in that situation and that's the coaches fault...I think that play had very limited possibility to be positive more than a few yards and it had the possibility to be game changing bad in so many ways. We saw the fumble but mvs could of just as easily dropped that ball causing an interception

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cutting MVS is a bad idea remember Devante had his problems with drops in the beginning of his career, look at him now! MVS has the speed and talent to be a true #2 if he can do a Devante remake give him a minute b4 we throw him out, this D needs more work than offense, imao
I agree that we can't cut him now. But tough to compare a guy that does not catch the ball with his hands to Davante.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I agree but you gotta give Indy their due for not kicking it thru the end zone multiple times and forcing us to try to return it.

I can't remember on that fumble. Was Shepherd in the end zone and brought it out. I thought that was the case. Either way, I felt that was the worst turnover of the day. None of them were good, but the timing of it stunk. Just when our D got off the field they have to trot right back out there.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I can't remember if it was Blankenship on kickoffs... If so, it may have just been his leg strength not being able to get to the end zone. Guy couldn't kick a 50 yarder indoors. Either way, it worked for them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
death threats for MVS? people need to get a grip. He's not a super star, he's just probably a fairly normal player with the gift of speed and he's obviously working hard to get better. Rodgers wouldn't keep going to him if he wasn't.

he's good enough to be an NFL receiver and he has a skill set that will make him more important than maybe his actual WR skills. I don't see a super star, but I do see a lot of big moments for him.

From what I can tell he's working hard and out there with the best he can do every week. what am I going to do? send death threats because maybe he's not talented enough to be Davante Adams? well neither am I, so what does that say about me? I might be disappointed we didn't win but i'm never going to get too down on someone who has the effort even if the production isn't matching all the time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't remember on that fumble. Was Shepherd in the end zone and brought it out. I thought that was the case. Either way, I felt that was the worst turnover of the day. None of them were good, but the timing of it stunk. Just when our D got off the field they have to trot right back out there.
I can't either now. I thought he was just in the endzone, but now i'm 2nd guessing myself. I do know I was questioning his decision making back there. a couple times. I remember the one he was like 2 yards in the endzone and took it out, then barely made it the 11 or 12

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't either now. I thought he was just in the endzone, but now i'm 2nd guessing myself. I do know I was questioning his decision making back there. a couple times. I remember the one he was like 2 yards in the endzone and took it out, then barely made it the 11 or 12
I think he got scared after that early kickoff landed at the goal line and was almost ruled down inside the 5.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think it's just a sign of the times, though still inexcusable obviously
half the country is just going to be pissed off 24/7 for the foreseeable future
and occasionally, which half is pissed will flip

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS did not have a bad game. He had a bad mistake after being used in a spot that is not his game.

MVS is a deep threat. He’s fast, but not agile. Throw him the ball downfield, not behind the LOS.

MVS had a deep catch that led to OT, got a PI deep that led to a TD, and was very good blocking. The idea he lost the game is asinine. We were up two scores at halftime. Lot of other reasons GB lost.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS did not have a bad game. He had a bad mistake after being used in a spot that is not his game.

MVS is a deep threat. He’s fast, but not agile. Throw him the ball downfield, not behind the LOS.

MVS had a deep catch that led to OT, got a PI deep that led to a TD, and was very good blocking. The idea he lost the game is asinine. We were up two scores at halftime. Lot of other reasons GB lost.

^100%

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS NEEDS to get better at things other than just "go deep".. That's the issue with MVS at this point. He can't be your #2 and be a one trick pony. everyone screaming "he wasn't reason for the loss!!!", yes we understand but MVS hasn't improved at other aspects of being a WELL ROUNDED WR at this point.

He's been given chance after chance after chance to be the #2.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS NEEDS to get better at things other than just "go deep".. That's the issue with MVS at this point. He can't be your #2 and be a one trick pony. everyone screaming "he wasn't reason for the loss!!!", yes we understand but MVS hasn't improved at other aspects of being a WELL ROUNDED WR at this point.

Oh dear lord...so because a guy has proven he may not have a ceiling of STUD #2 you cut him. Dear lord folks...step back from the ledge.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Some players are what they are. MVS has improved in a lot of ways, and a deep threat is very valuable.

I’d like to improve the position, but we could be doing a lot worse as far as a deep threat goes.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't remember if it was Blankenship on kickoffs... If so, it may have just been his leg strength not being able to get to the end zone. Guy couldn't kick a 50 yarder indoors. Either way, it worked for them.

Seeing him with those glasses on under that helmet reminded me of Chester Marcol! lol

Staff online

Members online