Lazard Situation...

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe it's anything personal. He seems like a Donald Driver type, work hard good guy and great story guy....

But you have to question his ceiling. We have to be 100% honest that there was/are reasons as to why he went UNDRAFTED..

These are the same reasons why Sammy Watkins was once drafted NUMBER 4 OVERALL.

This is the NFL, Sammy was deemed the number 4 best prospect in his draft class for a reason. Allen wasn't even drafted in his draft class

There are tangibles and intangibles here but until Allen puts up a 1000 yard season, people will always question his talent

D

Deleted member 6794

We'll see about Lazard. He's decent out of the slot, he can block, and he usually hangs on to the ball. I don't see Adams departure magically making him a true #1 WR (1,000 yds, 10 TDs, etc.).

A lot of us would like him to step up into that role, I just have my doubts. Watkins might do it because he's done it before.

Either way, I don't think Lazard's presence has an outsized impact on the game. I hope I'm wrong. I just don't see him as more than a 500 yard, 5 TD kind of guy.

As I've mentioned repeatedly I don't consider Lazard a #1 receiver but he might be the best on the current roster. That's definitely reason for concern.

And thanks for the 60s update. I don't know how good Detroit was in 62. Probably not very god but they ruined a 14-0 regular season.

The Lions were actually pretty good in 1962, finishing with a record of 11-3. They lost those three games by a combined eight points, losing to both teams that ended up playing in the Champions Game in the Packers and Giants as well as the Bears in the last week of the regular season.

I need a clarification from you. Yesterday you posted Lombardi was 7-0 against the Vikings. Today it sounds like 4-3. which is it? Or what was Lombardi's overall record v. the Vikings?

Overall, the Packers were a combined 11-3 vs. the Vikings during Lombardi's tenure as head coach. They went 4-3 at home and 7-0 on the road.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I've mentioned repeatedly I don't consider Lazard a #1 receiver but he might be the best on the current roster. That's definitely reason for concern.

The Lions were actually pretty good in 1962, finishing with a record of 11-3. They lost those three games by a combined eight points, losing to both teams that ended up playing in the Champions Game in the Packers and Giants as well as the Bears in the last week of the regular season.

Overall, the Packers were a combined 11-3 vs. the Vikings during Lombardi's tenure as head coach. They went 4-3 at home and 7-0 on the road.
If Lazard doesn't improve his production, and he's the best receiver on the team, yeah, that is cause for concern.

I hope that Doubs, Watkins, and/or Watson can step it up. But two of them are rookies and that's a lot to ask. As for Watkins, he also needs to stay healthy.

Ignoring the WR position in the past is now hurting the Packers. Well, on paper. We'll see who steps up. My guess is someone will use use the opportunity to their advantage.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually there is talent in the WR group. While I have my doubts that Lazard is more than what we've already seen, I'm hopeful that either Doubs, Watson, or Watkins can step up and be a real #1 WR. Or Lazard has more in the tank, especially with alpha male Adams gone. Is Doubs (or Watson) a Justin Jefferson or Ja'Marr Chase in waiting? Maybe not but even if he hits 60%-70% of their production, he'll be the surprise of the season. Well no. The Packers winning the SB would be the pleasant surprise of the season.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allen is doubtful for Sunday's game...

I like him as a person but until he PROVES something ... puts up a 1000+ yard season, he isn't anybody

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allen is doubtful for Sunday's game...

I like him as a person but until he PROVES something ... puts up a 1000+ yard season, he isn't anybody
Agree. He's been fine for what he's been asked to do, play #3 to Adams and MVS. He's gotta step it up big time. As much as I like him as a role player, I think we've seen his best. Hope not, or that someone else steps up. That seems more likely.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's leaving the door open to the rookies to step up & earn playing time. Not his fault, the injury, but this gives both Doubs & Watson more opportunities.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's leaving the door open to the rookies to step up & earn playing time. Not his fault, the injury, but this gives both Doubs & Watson more opportunities.
Yeah that's a lesson he may learn the hard way. Reminds me of how Favre really feared going down and the risk someone would take his place - just what he did to Majkowski.

But that's the NFL. If a guy goes out there and produces, he's gonna stay on the field. I too hope Doubs and Watson can be the base of a new receiving group. I think Lazard can play a big role, but he's gotta get on the field. Look at how Doubs has already gotten ahead of Watson as the rookie to beat. It's a tough game and unforgiving.

D

Deleted member 6794

It might be interesting to note that in the seven games Adams missed over the past three seasons Lazard put up quite impressive numbers. While he didn't play in two of them he caught 21 passes for 340 yards and two TDs in the other five. That would prorate to 71 catches for 1,156 yards and seven TDs in 17 games.

I agree he still needs to prove that he can perform at that level on a consistent basis but to expect rookies to move past him on the depth chart because of him missing the first game of the season isn't realistic.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It might be interesting to note that in the seven games Adams missed over the past three seasons Lazard put up quite impressive numbers. While he didn't play in two of them he caught 21 passes for 340 yards and two TDs in the other five. That would prorate to 71 catches for 1,156 yards and seven TDs in 17 games.

I agree he still needs to prove that he can perform at that level on a consistent basis but to expect rookies to move past him on the depth chart because of him missing the first game of the season isn't realistic.
Well it will be interesting to see how the year plays out with the WRs. It is encouraging that in limited action with Adams out, Lazard stepped in and produced. It's a stretch to extrapolate that to a full year, but why not? He did produce when he needed to, and that's all that matters. It may just be a matter of getting more targets, which will certainly happen. I'd like nothing more than to see him have a 1000 yard plus year with 10 TDs. I also hope this injury doesn't impact more than one game.

I have nothing more than a hunch that someone other than Lazard is going to step up big time in that group. It won't be Cobb, but other than that, it could be anyone. Lazard may still make the jump, but there's another guy in there who will surprise all of us.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This really could be a disguised blessing for those 2 young guys. The faster we get them (Doubs or Watson) involved, the faster they get up to speed. You don't wish for injuries, but sometimes it's a minor injury to one player that brings out a rising Star-ks

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure either but I am willing to bet that one of those Packer WRs leads the team in most catches and one (maybe the same guy) leads in most yards of the GB WRs.

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not sure either but I am willing to bet that one of those Packer WRs leads the team in most catches and one (maybe the same guy) leads in most yards of the GB WRs.
You probably are not far off. The only real competition I see is Tonyan. I think Watkins will get their CB1. I guess I still like the matchup there with Sullivan vs Tonyan

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah these guys should all realize the career-making and $$$-making opportunity this is.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like there's a chance that Lazard misses the opening game with an undisclosed injury. :rolleyes:
Listed as doubtful. Definitely will hurt the Packers offense. More pressure on Rodgers and the rookies. Have to get the ball to Tonyan then run, run, run.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listed as doubtful. Definitely will hurt the Packers offense. More pressure on Rodgers and the rookies. Have to get the ball to Tonyan then run, run, run.
I heard it's a problem with his ankle. Next to a hamstring, those can be nasty. Get well Lazard!

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard it's a problem with his ankle. Next to a hamstring, those can be nasty. Get well Lazard!
Someone apparently stepped on him in practice last week. No preseason action so he gets hurt in a mere scrimmage.

D

Deleted member 6794

It is encouraging that in limited action with Adams out, Lazard stepped in and produced. It's a stretch to extrapolate that to a full year, but why not?

I agree Lazard being able to perform at that level for an entire season is a question mark.

The same is true for every other receiver currently on the roster though. In addition none of them has already put up numbers close to Lazard with Rodgers throwing the ball (aside of Cobb but that was several years ago).

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Lazard being able to perform at that level for an entire season is a question mark.

The same is true for every other receiver currently on the roster though. In addition none of them has already put up numbers close to Lazard with Rodgers throwing the ball (aside of Cobb but that was several years ago).
Unfortunately, no Lazard today.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing will be determined pretty quickly in today's game against the Vikings. We're going to find out if some of these new receivers are on the same page as Rodgers, and if they can hang onto the ball when he gets it to them.

It's actually going to be an exciting day. If the Packers do win it, and the receivers do a great job, this team could be better than some of us thought it could.