Lazard Situation...

D

Deleted member 6794

It's actually going to be an exciting day. If the Packers do win it, and the receivers do a great job, this team could be better than some of us thought it could.

I believe the Packers are a very good team.

If the receiving corps ends up significantly better than expected they could be a legit Super Bowl contender.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Lazard being able to perform at that level for an entire season is a question mark.

The same is true for every other receiver currently on the roster though. In addition none of them has already put up numbers close to Lazard with Rodgers throwing the ball (aside of Cobb but that was several years ago).
All true. I don't remember a season where I was more concerned with the WRs. The most likely scenario is that Lazard gets a lot more targets and steps into a real #1 role.

After that, it's a matter of guessing. Doubs looked great in the PS. Will that transfer to games that count? I'm not aware of anyone else in the PS who really jumped out. I'd expect Watkins to do well given his experience, but does he still have "it"? I think we know what to expect from Cobb. Watson has what it takes on paper but does that translate to the pros? Well, we're about to find out.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing will be determined pretty quickly in today's game against the Vikings. We're going to find out if some of these new receivers are on the same page as Rodgers, and if they can hang onto the ball when he gets it to them.

It's actually going to be an exciting day. If the Packers do win it, and the receivers do a great job, this team could be better than some of us thought it could.
I agree. WR is the big question mark. The rest of the team is very solid, and certainly the D (for a change). The TE group has blockers but they need Tonyan back in 2020 form.

I don't recall the last time I was so interested in the opening game. Minnesota plenty of playmakers on offense. Defense, not so much. I'm predicting the Packers take this one 27-17, largely on the strength of the D making big plays.

D

Deleted member 6794

All true. I don't remember a season where I was more concerned with the WRs. The most likely scenario is that Lazard gets a lot more targets and steps into a real #1 role.

It remains to be seen if Lazard is capable of performing like a true #1 receiver but in my opinion he will get every chance to show it.

After that, it's a matter of guessing. Doubs looked great in the PS. Will that transfer to games that count? I'm not aware of anyone else in the PS who really jumped out.

FWIW Toure actually led the Packers in receptions and yards during the preseason.

I agree. WR is the big question mark. The rest of the team is very solid, and certainly the D (for a change). The TE group has blockers but they need Tonyan back in 2020 form.

In my opinion the offensive line without Bakhtiari and Jenkins, the receiving corps as well as the tight ends are all huge question marks entering the season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It remains to be seen if Lazard is capable of performing like a true #1 receiver but in my opinion he will get every chance to show it.

FWIW Toure actually led the Packers in receptions and yards during the preseason.

In my opinion the offensive line without Bakhtiari and Jenkins, the receiving corps as well as the tight ends are all huge question marks entering the season.
I'm really not happy about Bakhtiari not starting. The reason given is that he just got cleared for 11 on 11 drills so he's not ready for game speed. That sounds weak to me. It's coming up on two years since he was injured.

My guess is that his knee continues to swell. I've had both knees replaced, and it can take one year for everything to heal and settle down. But after a year, the swelling is pretty much done. An ACL repair is a different surgery, but the incision is about the same and so is the trauma.

I'm not a Dr. or a PT. This just seems like way too long. Occasionally, if I work my legs too hard at the gym, the knees will swell a bit. That's ok because I don't have to play pro football.

But Bakhtiari does. It's really an all or nothing situation. He can play or he can't. I get that they want to give him every chance and they should. But it's getting late in his recovery. Probably gotta prepare for the worst.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm really not happy about Bakhtiari not starting. The reason given is that he just got cleared for 11 on 11 drills so he's not ready for game speed. That sounds weak to me. It's coming up on two years since he was injured.

My guess is that his knee continues to swell. I've had both knees replaced, and it can take one year for everything to heal and settle down. But after a year, the swelling is pretty much done. An ACL repair is a different surgery, but the incision is about the same and so is the trauma.

I'm not a Dr. or a PT. This just seems like way too long. Occasionally, if I work my legs too hard at the gym, the knees will swell a bit. That's ok because I don't have to play pro football.

But Bakhtiari does. It's really an all or nothing situation. He can play or he can't. I get that they want to give him every chance and they should. But it's getting late in his recovery. Probably gotta prepare for the worst.

Agreed, Bakhtiari still not being able to play is definitely reason for concern.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, Bakhtiari still not being able to play is definitely reason for concern.
Eventually they will let him try to play. If the results are similar to what happened with Detroit last season...... well I hate to say it, but it might be best for him to retire. At this point, and after so much time, it seems like a miracle is needed for him to return.

D

Deleted member 6794

Eventually they will let him try to play. If the results are similar to what happened with Detroit last season...... well I hate to say it, but it might be best for him to retire. At this point, and after so much time, it seems like a miracle is needed for him to return.

I'm a bit more optimistic than that but it has definitely crossed my mind Bakhtiari won't be able to return, especially when talking about performing at an All-Pro level.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a bit more optimistic than that but it has definitely crossed my mind Bakhtiari won't be able to return, especially when talking about performing at an All-Pro level.
Well I'll buy into your optimism, because that's just a better place to be, and hope for the best.

And yeah, just based on age and that he's lost two years of his prime, it seems unlikely he returns to All Pro form. He's still a helluva LT, All Pro or not. I really hope he can continue his career and retire on his terms.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but I don't ever remember a game turning on one bad play. But when Watson dropped that dime Rodgers threw him on the first offensive play of the year, a sure TD, well it seemed like all the air went out of the Packers and probably all of Packerdom. I guess it's thinking about what it would have meant had he caught it. I don't know. Rodgers didn't throw his way again until Q4 I think.

I was happy with the way they played after a demoralizing first half. But a loss is always bad and a loss in Minnesota is unthinkably bad. Let's hope they can get all their injured guys back, and fast. The opener last year was bad. This year was worse.

I did love Rodgers giving Z a hard shoulder though. I don't want him always doing that, but the moment was right and Rodgers showed he's still the leader.

Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but I don't ever remember a game turning on one bad play. But when Watson dropped that dime Rodgers threw him on the first offensive play of the year, a sure TD, well it seemed like all the air went out of the Packers and probably all of Packerdom. I guess it's thinking about what it would have meant had he caught it. I don't know. Rodgers didn't throw his way again until Q4 I think.

I was happy with the way they played after a demoralizing first half. But a loss is always bad and a loss in Minnesota is unthinkably bad. Let's hope they can get all their injured guys back, and fast. The opener last year was bad. This year was worse.

I did love Rodgers giving Z a hard shoulder though. I don't want him always doing that, but the moment was right and Rodgers showed he's still the leader.
I didn’t like the way Z gave Rodgers an attempted cheap shot on the ground. It was very bordering on a flag and I’ve seen that called. I really like Z, but him challenging Rodgers is only going to come back to haunt him. Rodgers uses that stuff to propel him through a season.

Mark my words, this won’t be our O all season. Once we get healthy at OL and WR get in groove things will gradually open up. I really was impressed with Tom. He should be playing over Newman imo

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t like the way Z gave Rodgers an attempted cheap shot on the ground. It was very bordering on a flag and I’ve seen that called. I really like Z, but him challenging Rodgers is only going to come back to haunt him. Rodgers uses that stuff to propel him through a season.

Mark my words, this won’t be our O all season. Once we get healthy at OL and WR get in groove things will gradually open up. I really was impressed with Tom. He should be playing over Newman imo

I was shocked Tom wasn’t in to start, and when he did come in i thought he did very well.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was shocked Tom wasn’t in to start, and when he did come in i thought he did very well.
Agree. Hoping Jenkins &/or Bakhtiari return soon so Newman can takeover at RG. Hanson doesn't belong in the starting lineup, ever. He failed in pass pro and got no push at all on the failed goal line play.

D

Deleted member 6794

And yeah, just based on age and that he's lost two years of his prime, it seems unlikely he returns to All Pro form. He's still a helluva LT, All Pro or not. I really hope he can continue his career and retire on his terms.

Unfortunately it remains to be seen if Bakhtiari will still be an impressive left tackle once he's able to return to the field.

Let's hope they can get all their injured guys back, and fast.

I expect Barnes to be out for an extended period of time.

He failed in pass pro and got no push at all on the failed goal line play.

I didn't like that call based on the offensive line struggling.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately it remains to be seen if Bakhtiari will still be an impressive left tackle once he's able to return to the field.

Definitely, not the best call. And being on the road does not help. A solid FB in front of Dillon might help. Remember the Fridge or B.J. Raji.

D

Deleted member 6794

Definitely, not the best call. And being on the road does not help. A solid FB in front of Dillon might help. Remember the Fridge or B.J. Raji.

I would have been fine with the call if the offensive line performed at a higher level. With them struggling I would have preferred to run another play though.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we saw was a typical Green Bay Packers first game of the season. That's why I picked the Vikings to win. The Packers just don't seem to show up ready to play on week #1, and are humiliated, almost every year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we saw was a typical Green Bay Packers first game of the season. That's why I picked the Vikings to win. The Packers just don't seem to show up ready to play on week #1, and are humiliated, almost every year.
Come to think of it, that's true. Well the Bears at home will hopefully be the tonic they need to really get started.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The O line was awful yesterday. That's concerning for a lot of reasons. The goal line call was the last play they should have run and that's on MLF. More important, they have to keep Rodgers healthy. It's amazing he wasn't hurt yesterday or with some of the very hard hits he took, one to the head.

And yeah, with the inflatable cast, it looks like Barnes broke or cracked his tibia. Not good when Walker also went down.

All in all, a pretty typical first game for the Packers.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It certainly doesn't help the young guys with all of Rodgers eye rolls and BS he did. He's a leader on this team. Act like it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly doesn't help the young guys with all of Rodgers eye rolls and BS he did. He's a leader on this team. Act like it.
Good point. That stuff has grown old, and was never appropriate to begin with. But he's been doing it forever, and it's gotta be demoralizing to players who see it repeated on the evening sports.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend to know what was meant by Rodgers facial gestures. In some cases, it could relate to the other play, some representing his own mistake, or misinterpretation by him and the WR, or a decision he made changing a play at the line of scrimmage, or almost anything.

I'm afraid people who no longer like Rodgers look for the worst in everything he does, and forget that a lot of players react on plays with facial expressions.

Reaction score
The O line was awful yesterday. That's concerning for a lot of reasons. The goal line call was the last play they should have run and that's on MLF. More important, they have to keep Rodgers healthy. It's amazing he wasn't hurt yesterday or with some of the very hard hits he took, one to the head.

And yeah, with the inflatable cast, it looks like Barnes broke or cracked his tibia. Not good when Walker also went down.

All in all, a pretty typical first game for the Packers.
It looks like we lucked out, we could have Barnes back with plenty of games left this year

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend to know what was meant by Rodgers facial gestures. In some cases, it could relate to the other play, some representing his own mistake, or misinterpretation by him and the WR, or a decision he made changing a play at the line of scrimmage, or almost anything.

I'm afraid people who no longer like Rodgers look for the worst in everything he does, and forget that a lot of players react on plays with facial expressions.

Well, that's not really true. I like Rodgers as our QB. Just saying that kind of stuff does not help with the slew of young WR's he has to play with.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, that's not really true. I like Rodgers as our QB. Just saying that kind of stuff does not help with the slew of young WR's he has to play with.
I'd agree if we knew what the facial gestures meant. Since we don't know what the sideline conversations were, or if Rodgers was admonishing guys, or saying; "My fault!," we don't know.

I'm not going to put words in his mouth or anyone else's. That's just playing into a fool's hand.

To be honest, this whole attack against him, or attacks like it, are just plain ignorance, and do nothing to advance conversations.