Joe Whitt / Winston Moss FIRED - merged threads

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I really didn't know Whitt had a bunch of friends in here, plus the definition of good playing DBs seems to be subjective around here.

Alexander and Jackson have not yet been around long enough to be deeply indoctrinated in the broken Whitt coaching system. Hopefully Pettine has him sent out the door before they do.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst..._NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

What is so bad about the 3rd ranked pass D?

Im sorry but I see other things to be more glaring problems at this current time.

H

HardRightEdge

What I have seen so far are high draft pics flopping, a lot of blown coverage assignments, guys who can't tackle to save their lives, bad attitudes from some and DB's costing the Packers defense a lot of yards and TD's while under Whitt's coaching. I was hoping bringing in a vet like Williams might have the "Woodson Effect" on the younger guys, but it really hasn't seemed to do a whole lot. Yes, King has been injured a lot, but that doesn't mean he can't be coached. He still looks like a guy with a lot of potential right out of college, I haven't seen any improvement from him. Jackson and Alexander, the same. Talented players, but will Whitt take them to the next level?

Right now, I see a secondary that seems to be playing individually and not collectively. I put that on the coach.
A couple of thoughts.

• King has not played a healthy snap since he got to Green Bay. If he is to be belived, and nobody has contradicted him, he knocked that left shoulder out of his socket 10 times last season, kept popping it back in, and kept on playing. This year it has been the right shoulder, groin and now taking a shot to the mouth or jaw or a concussion or whatever they are calling it.
  • While the rookies have shown good zone awareness, King has not. He did it again on a red zone TD, crossing up C-D. They're all led to the same trough. If one cannot drink, that's his problem and the guy who drafted him.
  • Collective performance starts with individual talent. I see the basis for the collective rounding into shape. That King-in-zone needs to improve or he needs to sit.
  • Williams is not Woodson.
  • Why not blame Williams, then, if he isn't providing the leadership you see lacking?
  • CBs are a mercurial bunch. That said, there is no excuse for shoving guys (Alexander) or saying untoward things (Brown) after the whistle. These youthful indiscretions need to stop.
  • I'd rather see these guys getting into it with the opponents than among themselves as has been too common in the past.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts.

• King has not played a healthy snap since he got to Green Bay. If he is to be belived, and nobody has contradicted him, he knocked that left shoulder out of his socket 10 times last season, kept popping it back in, and kept on playing. This year it has been the right shoulder, groin and now taking a shot to the mouth or jaw or a concussion or whatever they are calling it.
  • While the rookies have shown good zone awareness, King has not. He did it again on a red zone TD, crossing up C-D. They're all led to the same trough. If one cannot drink, that's his problem and the guy who drafted him.
  • Collective performance starts with individual talent. I see the basis for the collective rounding into shape. That King-in-zone needs to improve or he needs to sit.
  • Williams is not Woodson.
  • Why not blame Williams, then, if he isn't providing the leadership you see lacking?
  • CBs are a mercurial bunch. That said, there is no excuse for shoving guys (Alexander) or saying untoward things (Brown) after the whistle. These youthful indiscretions need to stop.
  • I'd rather see these guys getting into it with the opponents than among themselves as has been too common in the past.

Agree with all of that but in regards to King he was a boom or bust type pick to begin with yet a lot of people thought we were getting the 2nd coming of Richard Sherman. I did not.

I will say it again. The fact that Seattle passed on King when they needed a corner and he was in there own back yard speaks volume to me. They ended up getting Shaq Griffin in the 3rd who is hands down a more productive player thus far.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are stuck with Whitt until the end of the season, at least. I don't think the Packers have ever fired someone during the season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We are stuck with Whitt until the end of the season, at least. I don't think the Packers have ever fired someone during the season.

If the Packer defense finishes in the top 10(currently there 10th) then Whitt isn't going anywhere.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I have seen so far are high draft pics flopping, a lot of blown coverage assignments, guys who can't tackle to save their lives, bad attitudes from some and DB's costing the Packers defense a lot of yards and TD's while under Whitt's coaching. I was hoping bringing in a vet like Williams might have the "Woodson Effect" on the younger guys, but it really hasn't seemed to do a whole lot. Yes, King has been injured a lot, but that doesn't mean he can't be coached. He still looks like a guy with a lot of potential right out of college, I haven't seen any improvement from him. Jackson and Alexander, the same. Talented players, but will Whitt take them to the next level?

Right now, I see a secondary that seems to be playing individually and not collectively. I put that on the coach.

You're evaluating a coach on the improvement of guys who have played 4 & 5 games (Alexander/Jackson) and King, a guy who has been more injured than Perry and Matthews combined? That seems slightly unreasonable, don't you think?

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You're evaluating a coach on the improvement of guys who have played 4 & 5 games (Alexander/Jackson) and King, a guy who has been more injured than Perry and Matthews combined? That seems slightly unreasonable, don't you think?

No, actually I have been wanting to see Whitt gone for a long time now and have expressed that a long time ago as well. :)

I would actually say "wait and see what he can do with those 3 players" is ignoring everything he hasn't done with players in the past. Seems like Whitt earned himself a "safety pass" due to his work with Sam Shields, but I still wonder how much of that credit for Shields shouldn't be given to the players around him at the time, Woodson and Williams.

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst..._NET_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

Im sorry but I see other things to be more glaring problems at this current time.

I agree there is a lot of other pressing needs. I think a lot of it though is that HHCD coming over late on deep balls or even on short red zone assignments has some of us uneasy about it though. I just shudder thinking what might happen if this keeps up defending the Goff to Kupp or Cooks connection in a few weeks.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Secondary never been stronger, besides king getting burnt and staying injured. king honestly looks like the 3th string corner compared alexander and jackson.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers are now #4 in total yards allowed and #2 in passing yards allowed. Give Whitt a raise!
Let's revisit that AFTER the Rams game. Its not like the Packers have faced any powerhouse offenses either.

Reaction score
Secondary never been stronger, besides king getting burnt and staying injured. king honestly looks like the 3th string corner compared alexander and jackson.
I’m not privy to insider info. But it’s glaring obvious King is either not durable or has a Voodoo curse.
That said I do believe the kid has talent. He’s proven that when healthy.

Reaction score
Let's revisit that AFTER the Rams game. Its not like the Packers have faced any powerhouse offenses either.
True that. We found out how true that was with our “top rated” run D a few years ago. Right before we got schooled by Dallas

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True that. We found out how true that was with our “top rated” run D a few years ago. Right before we got schooled by Dallas
Yup, remember it well and shaking my head while reading how great everyone thought our run defense was, until Dallas, a decent running teach lit it up.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am more than ok with replacing Clay once this season is over as well as possibly Perry too, and HHCD certainly should be on the hot seat as well, or at least get moved to SS to replace Brice and the next draft see a ball hawk FS get brought in who diagnoses plays better.

You have to realize that Brice has lined up at free safety for nearly half of his defensive snaps though.

No but if we fired Whitt and hired LeRoy Butler to coach our DBs we'd get an instant upgrade.

Hire LeRoy Butler, he could coach these guys up especially since he was one of the best DBs in Packer history.

Don't get me wrong, I love Butler but LeRoy would be an odd choice to hire as a coach as he has no experience whatsoever at any level of football.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Whitt was the cornerbacks coach up until this season. Blaming him for safety performance prior to this season doesn't make sense.

Now, as "pass game coordinator", which would include LB coverages, Whitt has brought about meaningful improvement.

Again, of all the things that have gone wrong this season the secondary remains a bright spot, noticeabley better than the 10-6 2016 team's performance.

You're right that Whitt served as cornerbacks coach from 2009-17 and therefore it doesn't make sense to criticize him for the performance of the safeties over the past few years. His track record working with CBs hasn't been impressive for quite some time though.

It's true the secondary as a whole seems to be improved this season though.

The Packers are now #4 in total yards allowed and #2 in passing yards allowed. Give Whitt a raise!

It might be smarter to use opponent passer rating as a metric to evaluate the Packers pass defense. The team is currently ranked 14th in that category, which isn't impressive but definitely an upgrade over the past few seasons.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get Joe Whitt outta here NOW!!!

His garbage secondary calls are keeping San Francisco in this game single-handedly.

Our offense has been 3/3 in scoring drives but this pass defense is making Bethard look like Kurt Warner of the 2009 Cardinals.

Fire Joe Whitt!!

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely embarrassing even if they win this game.. I stand by my comment of the rams scoring 60 plus points

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just terrible. Offense shouldn't have to go scoring 50 plus points to go beating the 49ers.

Whitt owns this lousy pass defense and needs to get fired for doing an awful job with it.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta say this secondary has gotta be the worst I've seen since Bob Slowik ran things. There's surely gotta be someone who can do a better job than this Whitt clown.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see how his #4 ranked passing defense does the next 2 games. I predict a shutout next week.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see how his #4 ranked passing defense does the next 2 games. I predict a shutout next week.

I'm well aware of what it's ranked, but it shouldn't take nearly 4 quarters to figure out how to stop a junky 49er passing attack. I'm sorry but what I saw out there last night, up until the King interception was just a complete disgrace.

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, total passing yards is a terrible metric to measure the success of a defense. The Packers ranking 17th in opponent passer rating is most likely a better representation of their play so far this season.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup the 49ers success running the ball perhaps was why they didn't just drop back every down and rack up 400 yards in the air. But when they did they were having their way and our two safeties looked lost once again.

Even though we won last night, I still want Whitt kicked outta here.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yup the 49ers success running the ball perhaps was why they didn't just drop back every down and rack up 400 yards in the air. But when they did they were having their way and our two safeties looked lost once again.

Brice struggled vs. the Niners once again but Clinton-Dix had a pretty good game.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still not giving Whitt a pass for this garbage. I'm already shuddering at the idea of Goff just dropping back and throwing it in the deep middle to Kupp, Cooks or Woods in 2 weeks.

I do think our offense will get on track eventually to get tempo control in games, but don't think it's going to happen soon enough to go pound for pound with the Rams. This secondary has gotta get cleaned up or Whitt has to go.

Members online

Latest posts