Joe Whitt / Winston Moss FIRED - merged threads

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Packers tried to keep Campen? I have to assume that they weren't that interested in doing so.

Some of these "add on titles" are kind of funny. Last year the Packers added to Campen's title "Run Game Coordinator" and at the time he even said that his role in that had not been defined. Some of these titles seem like window dressing or gold stars added on to a coach's job description, just to announce that they are a bit more important to a team than just the job that they are actually doing.

The answer would have to be no, right? They can block anyone from even talking to him so they let him go to CLE to interview.

D

Deleted member 6794

Does anyone know if the Packers tried to keep Campen? I have to assume that they weren't that interested in doing so.

It seems the Packers weren't interested in retaining Campen as he was under contract but the team allowed him to interview with the Browns.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Is it a DB coach decision to play a guy at corner and not safety?
Now that Whitt has been fired, I would like to say.......doesn't matter anymore. ;) But lets put it this way, if you are a CB coach that gets promoted to being in charge of the entire secondary, I think you probably should know enough about what position a player, that you have been working with for 3 years, would be best at within that group. Hell, people in this forum were talking about Randall making a better safety way before he was traded and I doubt any of those posters are paid to be NFL coaches, nor did they work with Randall at each and every practice.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that Whitt has been fired, I would like to say.......doesn't matter anymore. ;) But lets put it this way, if you are a CB coach that gets promoted to being in charge of the entire secondary, I think you probably should know enough about what position a player, that you have been working with for 3 years, would be best at within that group. Hell, people in this forum were talking about Randall making a better safety way before he was traded and I doubt any of those posters are paid to be NFL coaches, nor did they work with Randall at each and every practice.
And what makes you think he didn’t? I remember him saying something about having to get a safety and a basketball player ready to play cornerback in the NFL back when they were drafted. OR was it a baseball and basketball player he had to get ready?

And I don’t remember Whitt being anymore than a postition coach until Capers and Randall we’re both gone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
And what makes you think he didn’t? I remember him saying something about having to get a safety and a basketball player ready to play cornerback in the NFL back when they were drafted. OR was it a baseball and basketball player he had to get ready?

And I don’t remember Whitt being anymore than a postition coach until Capers and Randall we’re both gone.

Whitt was promoted to be completely in charge of the Secondary on 1/10/18 and Randall was traded on 3/9/18. Whether or not he gave any input into the idea of moving him to safety to MM, Capers or Pettine, we may never know. However, I doubt that position coaches or coaches in charge of the secondary are told to work inside a bubble, mind their own business and not share information with the DC or HC, that might improve the team. So if Whitt knew Randall would make a better safety, either he didn't tell anyone or the people he told ignored him for 3 years.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whitt was promoted to be completely in charge of the Secondary on 1/10/18 and Randall was traded on 3/9/18. Whether or not he gave any input into the idea of moving him to safety to MM, Capers or Pettine, we may never know. However, I doubt that position coaches or coaches in charge of the secondary are told to work inside a bubble, mind their own business and not share information with the DC or HC, that might improve the team. So if Whitt knew Randall would make a better safety, either he didn't tell anyone or the people he told ignored him for 3 years.
ahh yes, all those games played by the Green Bay Packers between January and March and Whitt never made the switch :) as for the rest, I don't care enough anymore

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess the most reasonable explanation is that McCarthy, Capers and Whitt all knew Randall was best suited to line up at safety but because of a lack of talent at cornerback had to play him there.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure how or why I came across this but just found out Joe Whitt is heading to Dallas as the secondary coach and pass game coordinator. McCarthy must still love him, but most head coaches hire the familiar guy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am so tired of the Packers secondary breaking down. Guys getting lost in coverage, guys not covering, guys who cant tackle, interference calls, etc. How many years have we been seeing this and who is the one guy who has been in the organization since 2008? How many games are we going to see average or below average QB's and receivers have career games against the Packers?

Please, I don't want to hear that he made Sam Shields a Pro Bowler, every blind squirrel finds a nut!

We have secondary players leaving Green Bay and playing much better with other teams.

Time to get rid of Whitt before he finds a way to ruin King, Jackson and Alexander.
Great point. Coaching outside the HC, DC, and OC are ignored. And yet these are the guts closest to the players! The O line has an outstanding coaching staff, and the results show.