Jace out of slot...

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah?

He's a move/flex TE. Jimmy played out of the slot too.

It's not going to be every down, obviously, but it will happen.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah?

He's a move/flex TE. Jimmy played out of the slot too.

It's not going to be every down, obviously, but it will happen.

I think many just forget how involved the plan is for Stern to contribute and be moved around is all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha.

I'm one of the ones that think it won't be hard for Jace to match what Jimmy did, and then some.
Snide comment (nothing personal): It won’t be hard for just about any TE to match what Graham put up. As for putting him in the slot? I guess that could work. He could still be used to block, and the chances of getting him down the seam probably increase. And who was the last GB TE who could split the seam? Finley, maybe Cook.

Anyway, I expect a lot out of JS next year. I think he’ll surprise.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think many just forget how involved the plan is for Stern to contribute and be moved around is all.
If that’s the case, and I think it is, he and Rodgers have to develop that magical bond like Rodgers had/has with Jordy/Adams.

H

HardRightEdge

That he'd be playing a lot out of the slot + wide is hardly a revelation. It's what starting TEs typically do on passing downs these days, particularly those in the mold of Sternberger, the oversized WR type. You even get a lot of 4-wide with the TE in the slot, spreading the defense and running between the tackles these days.

Assuming he earns a 70% snap count, give or take, I'd expect around 50% of those snaps in the slot or wide. Maybe a higher percentabe if his snap count is lower because of blocking deficiencies. Graham had a 57% snap count last season, partly because he was old but mostly because he was not a good blocker, never was.

The bigger questions are (1) how well will he run block playing in-line, (2) how much time will he spend in the backfield as an H-back, and (3) what will he do when in the backfield, run block, pass block or release into a route?

My guess is Sternberger's skills will show as follows in descending order:

1) receiving out of slot + wide
2) receiving out of in-line
3) receiving from H-back
4) pass blocking from H-back
5) run blocking in-line (Lewis is still around for a reason)
6) run blocking from H-back (I expect a FB on the roster or another TE added who can perform these duties.)

He was drafted as a receiving TE and that's what he looks like. A willing blocker, but doesn't show the strength or techique to be particularly effective at it. In other words, a lot like Graham in terms of utility, with maybe a little added H-back flexibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That he'd be playing a lot out of the slot + wide is hardly a revelation. It's what starting TEs typically do on passing downs these days, particularly those in the mold of Sternberger, the oversized WR type. You even get a lot of 4-wide with the TE in the slot, spreading the defense and running between the tackles these days.

Assuming he earns a 70% snap count, give or take, I'd expect around 50% of those snaps in the slot or wide. Maybe a higher percentabe if his snap count is lower because of blocking deficiencies. Graham had a 57% snap count last season, partly because he was old but mostly because he was not a good blocker, never was.

The bigger questions are (1) how well will he run block playing in-line, (2) how much time will he spend in the backfield as an H-back, and (3) what will he do when in the backfield, run block, pass block or release into a route?

My guess is Sternberger's skills will show as follows in descending order:

1) receiving out of slot + wide
2) receiving out of in-line
3) receiving from H-back
4) pass blocking from H-back
5) run blocking in-line (Lewis is still around for a reason)
6) pass blocking from H-back
7) run blocking from H-back (I expect a FB on the roster or another TE added who can perform these duties.)

He was drafted as a receiving TE and that's what he looks like. A willing blocker, but doesn't show the strength or techique to be particularly effective at it. In other words, a lot like Graham in terms of utility, with maybe a little added H-back flexibility.
Yeah I mostly agree with this, well done. I’m guessing Gluten adds another, younger TE more in the mold of Lewis (a FB who can catch, if you will). FBs don’t seem to fit well in MLF’s schemes.

They may be set then at TE with JS, Lewis, and Tonyan, and probably an addition from somewhere. Not a terribly exciting group. We know what Lewis can do, we kinda know what Tonyan can do. JS is the wild card but my gut tells me he’ll have a good season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sternberger will definitely line up in the slot on a decent amount of snaps but the Packers desperately need to add a speedy receiver that can create yards after the catch at the position as well.

I'm one of the ones that think it won't be hard for Jace to match what Jimmy did, and then some.

That might a bit optimistic. While Graham didn't perform up to his contract he put up decent numbers that not a lot of tight ends drafted in the third round or later have matched during their rookie or second seasons.

He could still be used to block, and the chances of getting him down the seam probably increase. And who was the last GB TE who could split the seam? Finley, maybe Cook.

Sternberger isn't fast enough to split the seam.

Yeah I mostly agree with this, well done. I’m guessing Gluten adds another, younger TE more in the mold of Lewis (a FB who can catch, if you will). FBs don’t seem to fit well in MLF’s schemes.

Actually MLF is most likely one of only a handful of head coaches still valuing the fullback position.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sternberger will definitely line up in the slot on a decent amount of snaps but the Packers desperately need to add a speedy receiver that can create yards after the catch at the position as well.

That might a bit optimistic. While Graham didn't perform up to his contract he put up decent numbers that not a lot of tight ends drafted in the third round or later have matched during their rookie or second seasons.

Sternberger isn't fast enough to split the seam.

Actually MLF is most likely one of only a handful of head coaches still valuing the fullback position.
I think Jace is fast enough to split the seam, although he didn’t get a lot of chances last year. As for FB, that’s what I thought (that MLF valued a FB) until they let Vitale walk. Now they have to find a replacement. I thought Vitale pretty much did all they expected him to do, so that took me by surprise. Maybe he was asking for too much. I don’t know if they have any other FBs on the current roster.

Bojack

"All pro DL , you sure the hell dont play like it"
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

I think Jace is fast enough to split the seam, although he didn’t get a lot of chances last year.

Well, Sternberger didn't receive a lot of chances because he was injured for most of last season. Unfortunately he's not fast enough (4.75) to split the seam.

As for FB, that’s what I thought (that MLF valued a FB) until they let Vitale walk. Now they have to find a replacement. I thought Vitale pretty much did all they expected him to do, so that took me by surprise. Maybe he was asking for too much. I don’t know if they have any other FBs on the current roster.

I was surprised the Packers didn't retain Vitale as well. He signed with the Patriots for $1.3 million, maybe Gutekunst didn't offer anything more than the veteran minimum.

The team currently has a fullback on the roster in Elijah Wellman.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with letting Vitale move on. Never did much here, hurt a lot. I have my thoughts as to why he was always knicked and i don't have faith in him ever being in the shape to contribute much without help and that leaves him vulnerable.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm fine with letting Vitale move on. Never did much here, hurt a lot.

I'm fine with the Packers moving on from Vitale as well as he mostly didn't have a significant impact. I expected him to be back though.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Sternberger didn't receive a lot of chances because he was injured for most of last season. Unfortunately he's not fast enough (4.75) to split the seam.

Zach Ertz seems to do just fine. Same with Gronk.

Sterny looked quick on the field. Saying he's not fast enough is, imo, quite bold. He's fast enough.

H

HardRightEdge

LaFleur used multiple TE personnel a lot in Tennessee, including in the backfield (H-Back) and offset in-line, without a FB taking any snaps.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/s...mdpmgOHAQ1I&form_id=fo_stats_snap_counts_form

H-back or FB, it is evident that LaFleur's preference is not to run exclusively single-back sets. Further, among all those TE snaps in Tennessee there was a grand total of one rushing attempt. By the same token, Vitale ran the ball once in his 172 offensive snaps.

If you are not going have that guy carry the ball there's potentially more flexibility with a TE/H-back who can block from the backfield, a guy who can also play in-line or slot or run a route out of the backfield.

Given the current collection of TEs, there isn't anybody you can point to for that highest priority for a limited snap count guy--blocking from the backfield--along with special teams snaps. So, it's a question of finding the skill set where you can for cheap.

You cannot look at a TE who is a good in-line blocker and assume that ability translates to the backfield. That's a whole different look and knack from there, especially in a zone blocking scheme. We saw that with Lewis who was tried in the backfield early last season which did not work out.

So, while carrying the ball is evidently not a priority, the blocking aspect becomes a matter of where you can find it, preferably with a guy who has some receiving skills. That could be a FB or an H-back.

H

HardRightEdge

One possibility, and I never thought I would say this until late last season, is Tonyan. He had a couple of plays where he lined up in-line and pulled, throwing nice blocks, one a seal outside the tackle and the other up inside the hole if memory serves. Whether that can translate to the backfield is an open question, but a possibility.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think a healthy Tonyun would be more of a weapon in the slot. I like Jace think that was a great pick up by Gute. His injuries clearly made him play catchup. I expect to see The Pack use him as a possession guy move the sticks by getting him in matchups favorable to us. Would like Packers to add Charlie Werner in 5 rnd underrated hands and best trait is a blocker.
Good article. Not everyone agrees that Jace has enough speed to stretch the seam. I think he does, he just needs more snaps and plays called specifically for him. Gluten seems to be thinking the same thing, at least for now. The draft is weak in TEs and the FA market has dried up. Along with the addition of an impact WR, the passing game should look a lot different than last year.

All that said, I’m not sure what Funchess adds outside of a veteran presence. Gluten must have seen something I didn’t. Then again, I’m not the GM!

D

Deleted member 6794

Zach Ertz seems to do just fine. Same with Gronk.

Sterny looked quick on the field. Saying he's not fast enough is, imo, quite bold. He's fast enough.

Actually comparing Sternberger to Ertz and Gronkowski is bold.

All that said, I’m not sure what Funchess adds outside of a veteran presence.

Funchess provides Rodgers with another much needed veteran target and a decent #3 receiver.

The Packers need to add another WR capable of moving ahead of him on the depth chart though.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need a reliable, preferably very good, outside receiver with speed; they have a bunch of guys on the roster who excel in the short to intermediate area but nobody on the roster who defenses really have to be concerned about beating them deep on any down. Everyone focuses on slot receivers, and they don't have anyone elite in the slot (outside of Adams who can play there), but the team DOES have guys that can reliably play in the slot on the roster. They don't have anyone who has the reliability and physical skills to be a deep threat. MVS might turn the corner and become that guy (his third year, who knows) but drafting someone who can do that would help open things up for Adams/Sternberger/Lazard/Funchess/Jones underneath.

I'd prefer the Packers draft a guy like Reagor, Mims, or Aiyuk over a primarily slot receiver like Jefferson if they go WR early.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was surprised the Packers didn't retain Vitale as well. He signed with the Patriots for $1.3 million, maybe Gutekunst didn't offer anything more than the veteran minimum.

The team currently has a fullback on the roster in Elijah Wellman.
Yeah 4.75 isn’t blazing but I still think Jace can do damage down the middle. We’ll see. I didn’t know the Pats only paid Vitale $1.3 mil. Again I thought he played well enough to hold his roster spot. And we’re just looking at things as they are today. Gluten can still make a lot of moves with the draft and cap casualties.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually comparing Sternberger to Ertz and Gronkowski is bold.

Funchess provides Rodgers with another much needed veteran target and a decent #3 receiver.

The Packers need to add another WR capable of moving ahead of him on the depth chart though.
There’s no doubt this WR group needed another veteran presence, and to that end the addition of Funchess on the cheap is good. Hopefully they find their future #2 WR in a loaded draft, and Funchess holds his own. And maybe a rookie will surprise even though stats don’t back that up.

I thought Gluten would have made a play for one of the higher profile WRs. But after looking at what he did with ILB and OT, he’s playing with a limited amount of cash. Given that, he’s doing well. We were all a little spoiled by the big additions in FA last year. The reality of the cap prevents any GM from doing that every year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh c'mon Wimm. You're better than that.

Just comparing speed. Don't move goal posts on me!
This may or may not be related, but I am going to be moving some mailbox posts so we can widen the driveway. It probably won't be done quickly either, as I'm still waiting on the utilities to give me the ok to dig and put the post I built in the ground.