Is Love being traded?

Reaction score
I have no idea whether to put any stock into this.

IF the Packers were to do this swap... 29, 135, and Love for 15, this is how Love would be roughly valued.

#15 is considered to be worth 1050 points on the value chart.

#29 is considered to be worth 640.

#135 is considered to be worth 39.

So with 679 "points" in picks going New England's way, that would mean that Love is accounting for the shortfall of 371 "points."

371 equates to ~pick 52/53 in the second round.

So in essence, the move would turn Love, the 27th pick last year, into the 52nd pick this year.
Wow. That’s interesting. Walter had Love at exactly #52 overall in their pre draft projection. I thought it was a bit low, but those guys do more research than me. They said early 3rd was hitting his floor and day 1 was his ceiling.

Reaction score
It's going to be amazing to watch fans not hold the GM being paid millions responsible for such a large screw up if that's what ends up happening. Mind you, I like Gute, he's good, it's just amazing and baffling to watch fans pretend mistakes aren't something a GM should be held accountable for.
First of all. We all make mistakes, but it’s a bit premature.
I’m not so sure that Rodgers stepping his game up wasn’t a bi-product of the Love signing. I’d actually say it factored, but that’s just my opinion. Indirectly Love got us MVP level from Rodgers.

Secondly, the story of Love hasn’t been written yet... it’s like Season 2 Episode 1 of what easily could be a 10+ season series. I just don’t agree that it’s a lost selection. That’s a pretty harsh assessment

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all. We all make mistakes, but it’s a bit premature.
I’m not so sure that Rodgers stepping his game up wasn’t a bi-product of the Love signing. I’d actually say it factored, but that’s just my opinion. Indirectly Love got us MVP level from Rodgers.

Secondly, the story of Love hasn’t been written yet... it’s like Season 2 Episode 1 of what easily could be a 10+ season series. I just don’t agree that it’s a lost selection. That’s a pretty harsh assessment

I'm not saying it's definitely lost yet either. I'm just thinking that Rodgers needs to fall off a cliff for the pick to not be a certified bust for the Packers that can be looked at as a factor in not winning a Super Bowl. Or, if the Packers can trade him for a better pick this year, which is doubtful.

Reaction score
I'm not saying it's definitely lost yet either. I'm just thinking that Rodgers needs to fall off a cliff for the pick to not be a certified bust for the Packers that can be looked at as a factor in not winning a Super Bowl. Or, if the Packers can trade him for a better pick this year, which is doubtful.
Listen. I was surprised like everyone else was. He was kinda floating in that late day 1 to early day 2 areas just in general. I didn’t expect a QB and I was thinking I heard it wrong.

QB is a very important position and I argued in recent years that I thought backup QB was also pretty important. I don’t feel many teams emphasize backup QB enough and they just kinda have a “give up” philosophy if primary goes down (I’m being a little melodramatic to make a point).
A robust team should be able to win when their primary QB goes down. This is not Callahan or Hundley here.

Love needs reps though. Even Rodgers started slow. Don’t think for one minute they haven’t been breaking Jordan’s film down and spending time on his weaknesses in practices and classroom. I think Utah’s Coach Andersen is telling the truth in that Jordan is going to impress us with his talent. Like all young QBs he needs refining, but he has the fundamentals to be very successful. I’ve heard comparisons to young Bortles, Kaepernick and young Mahomes and that’s not a bad thing if they can mold him into using his strengths and adapting. I see him kinda like young Favre. One of his personality traits I hear is his work effort and his high standard he sets for himself. It’s my personal belief that’s what set him apart from others when GB interviewed him and I believe he is going to turn his weaknesses into strength through that work ethic.

I read several times that his potential is extremely high, but that he needed to sit for a year or two before starting. I just wouldn’t trade him right now, we’ve taken the heat from the football community and if he turns out decent? We may recoup another day 1 selection or high grade player in trade once we extend Rodgers. There’s always a market for a starting level QB.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listen. I was surprised like everyone else was. He was kinda floating in that late day 1 to early day 2 areas just in general. I didn’t expect a QB and I was thinking I heard it wrong.

QB is a very important position and I argued in recent years that I thought backup QB was also pretty important. I don’t feel many teams emphasize backup QB enough and they just kinda have a “give up” philosophy if primary goes down (I’m being a little melodramatic to make a point).
A robust team should be able to win when their primary QB goes down. This is not Callahan or Hundley here.

Love needs reps though. Even Rodgers started slow. Don’t think for one minute they haven’t been breaking Jordan’s film down and spending time on his weaknesses in practices and classroom. I think Utah’s Coach Andersen is telling the truth in that Jordan is going to impress us with his talent. Like all young QBs he needs refining, but he has the fundamentals to be very successful. I’ve heard comparisons to young Bortles, Kaepernick and young Mahomes and that’s not a bad thing if they can mold him into using his strengths and adapting. I see him kinda like young Favre. One of his personality traits I hear is his work effort and his high standard he sets for himself. It’s my personal belief that’s what set him apart from others when GB interviewed him and I believe he is going to turn his weaknesses into strength through that work ethic.

I read several times that his potential is extremely high, but that he needed to sit for a year or two before starting. I just wouldn’t trade him right now, we’ve taken the heat from the football community and if he turns out decent? We may recoup another day 1 selection or high grade player in trade once we extend Rodgers. There’s always a market for a starting level QB.

Much of what you say is true. And none of it is going to happen unless Rodgers falls off a cliff because Love won't be getting any reps while Rodgers is playing like one of the best QBs in the league.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't know where to put this so starting a new thread. Just saw something at sportspyder.com from a site called NFL memes. It supposedly shows photos of a leaked paper from a member of the Packers front office. It shows a proposed trade of Love, the Packers first and fourth rounder to the Patriots for their number 15 overall.
I think this trade only rates Love as worthy of a 2nd or 3rd round pick. If it were Love and a 4th rounder, that might get the Packers to a #20 pick. Depends on the trading partner.

Aside from this, there are a lot of QB-needy teams (as usual). Once the top four are off the board, all in the top ten, GB might have a chance to pitch Love and a 4th rounder to move up. That seems entirely possible. The only fly in the ointment is that it leaves them, for the time being, without a backup QB.

I haven't looked at potential trading partners, so this is all speculation on my part.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, As long as a team can get 1+ seasons at his roughly $3.3mil avg yearly remaining guarantee. he’s going to peak interest. 2+ years remaining and we’ll have lots of ways to go. For the same reasons it can be argued he’s a high risk, high reward QB (which is why many had him there earlier round 2; reliable Walter had him #52 overall) he also won’t drop significantly for a redshirt season or two.

Hey eTX bro! ;)

IF we’re going to take a loss, let’s do it after we make a concrete decision with Rodgers. There will be plenty of options between now and next season if we choose to go that route. In the meantime we need a reliable backup either way and he’s got a nice head start over another project QB.
I say give #12 what he wants, if he is here for 5 more years and we win one SB, then we decline so be it. I can live with the results of sucking after he is gone, but he is our best shot at another SB,,,,,,three great in a row is unlikely.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade love and our first to move up in the first and then draft Davis Mills in the second to develop. :D

D

Deleted member 6794

He could become Garrapolo v. 2.0 and bring a nice return.

He could become Brian Brohm 2.0 as well though.

What I hinged on was IF he didn't see Rodgers here beyond 2021 he wouldn't have said "the next couple years" part in conjunction with speaking to Rodgers' future. To me Rodgers unless something crazy happens is in the plans for two more years without question by Gute and Company. That is not something I felt was more likely than not likely just a few days ago...I kept having the sense 2021 was his last season in Green Bay.

Once again, actions speak louder than words. Up to this point (since drafting Love) the Packers haven't done anything to indicate they're committed to Rodgers long term.

IMO, As long as a team can get 1+ seasons at his roughly $3.3mil avg yearly remaining guarantee.

Just for the record, Love would cost a team trading for him at this point less than $1.8 million on average per season over the next three years.

I would have been fine with the Packers signing a veteran backup quarterback to a reasonable deal if they didn't feel comfortable with Boyle. There was no reason to spend a first rounder on one though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The simple, yet huge and in your face act of giving 100 million guaranteed dollars to the QB just a year or 2 prior showed just how long they were going to be committed to him because of cap implications. he knew, we knew it, the FO knew it at that moment he signed. That commitment period has not changed.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Saw this and thought it was funny. Apparently the Packers have helped create urban slang for flipping the bird to your QB

Adam Schein at NFL.COM :

"Arthur Smith was hired to win. Atlanta has talent. Matt Ryan isn't a dinosaur by any stretch; the 35-year-old has a lot of great football left, especially under an offensive savant like Smith. You cannot "Jordan Love" the guy by taking a project quarterback for down the road. If the Falcons do that and trade Julio Jones -- a possibility that has bubbled up this week -- they're doing the four-time Pro Bowl quarterback an extreme disservice."

https://www.nfl.com/news/sizzling-h...nes-can-win-rookie-of-the-year-on-kyle-shanah

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would not be in a hurry to move on from Rodgers, if I was an Atlanta fan, i'd have no qualms about finding the next guy

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would not be in a hurry to move on from Rodgers, if I was an Atlanta fan, i'd have no qualms about finding the next guy

Agree, by stating such Schein is placing Ryan on the same tier as Rodgers...just not a comparison. Not even when Rodgers struggled through the season prior to Love is that fair.

D

Deleted member 6794

The simple, yet huge and in your face act of giving 100 million guaranteed dollars to the QB just a year or 2 prior showed just how long they were going to be committed to him because of cap implications. he knew, we knew it, the FO knew it at that moment he signed. That commitment period has not changed.

There's no doubt the Packers committed a huge amount of money to Rodgers at the time they signed him to an extension.

As mentioned above they have done nothing to committ to him beyond this season since drafting Love. Gutekunst mentioning something different in a press conference doesn't change anything about it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They weren't committed to him beyond this season either before they drafted Love. The cap hits told us when they'd have outs and options. Drafting Love may have caused Rodgers to feel more pressure than before, and I'm fine with that. But I don't think it changed any timetables and like before, if Rodgers continues to play well and stay healthy, he's not going anywhere.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers committed a huge amount of money to Rodgers at the time they signed him to an extension.

As mentioned above they have done nothing to committ to him beyond this season since drafting Love. Gutekunst mentioning something different in a press conference doesn't change anything about it.
So what? He’s not a child that needs molly coddling. There isn’t a player or coach in the organization that’s getting any commitments other than what their contract dictates.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
49ers offered jimmy garopalo other starters and the 3rd rd pick fir Rodgers

Packers said no

D

Deleted member 6794

They weren't committed to him beyond this season either before they drafted Love. The cap hits told us when they'd have outs and options. Drafting Love may have caused Rodgers to feel more pressure than before, and I'm fine with that. But I don't think it changed any timetables and like before, if Rodgers continues to play well and stay healthy, he's not going anywhere.

So what? He’s not a child that needs molly coddling. There isn’t a player or coach in the organization that’s getting any commitments other than what their contract dictates.

Both of you need to read the posts I reply to as well.

I didn't mention anything about timetables being changed or that Rodgers needs coddling but was solely responding to another poster expecting the Packers to keep him around for several more seasons based on comments made during Gutekunst's press conference.

To which I replied that actions speak louder than words.