Trade Deadline Approaching

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
There is a ton of things a vet sees, understands and knows - snaps in the dozen or so a game isn’t setting anyone back.

This is something we always referred to as "Tribal Knowledge" where I spent my career. It was standard practice to assign new engineers to older and more experienced ones. Procedures, technical guidance, supervision, and training only could take you so far and at a slower pace. Having a peer that has "been there - done that" speeds up the learning process and fills in the gaps.

Reaction score
If there is one attribute he has it is that he seems to be able to stay on the field. His body must be durable so far.
It’s not a coincidence that as I read posts above I was considering how much time Alexander has missed and how much durability impacts the game and how David and Jaires absence just crushes their contract value

Then this post.. great timing!
This is something we always referred to as "Tribal Knowledge" where I spent my career. It was standard practice to assign new engineers to older and more experienced ones. Procedures, technical guidance, supervision, and training only could take you so far and at a slower pace. Having a peer that has "been there - done that" speeds up the learning process and fills in the gaps.
the best mix is a diversified mix,

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not high on Dillon either but I don't understand how people can seemingly be excited about getting 5th 6th and/or 7th round draft picks. For anybody. So we are gonna load our team up with a bunch of late round picks?

The logic is quite simple - if Dillon is not in a teams future you risk losing him for nothing. Literally nothing.

A trade for say a sixth or seventh is a guarantee…wait till off season signing you’re not guarnteed a higher comp pick depending on his contract.

If Gute and Co know he isn’t getting brought back after this season as his contract expires it is improper management of the team to not try and maximize return for a guy you thought may be a long term contributor.

Personally I would love to have him fill the Hback RB3 type role and let Deguara walk. I don’t think he is gonna cost us a TON to resign and truthfully he may still have a lot in the tank or could be more a bad weather running back value type guy at this point in his career.

Many forget the amount of runs he came into the NFL with was A TON - those legs weren’t and aren’t spring chickens.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The logic is quite simple - if Dillon is not in a teams future you risk losing him for nothing. Literally nothing.

A trade for say a sixth or seventh is a guarantee…wait till off season signing you’re not guarnteed a higher comp pick depending on his contract.

If Gute and Co know he isn’t getting brought back after this season as his contract expires it is improper management of the team to not try and maximize return for a guy you thought may be a long term contributor.

Personally I would love to have him fill the Hback RB3 type role and let Deguara walk. I don’t think he is gonna cost us a TON to resign and truthfully he may still have a lot in the tank or could be more a bad weather running back value type guy at this point in his career.

Many forget the amount of runs he came into the NFL with was A TON - those legs weren’t and aren’t spring chickens.
You have to weigh the 6th (IMO a pipe dream since he is a rental) or the more likely 7th against both the evaluation and health of Love. If the Pack want to keep Jones relatively healthy IMO they will have to have a 2nd back taking snaps. You can't make Jones a bell cow back and expect him to stay healthy IMO. That leads to a rookie or a recent signing as RB2. You think the box is loaded now? These guys can't pass block like Dillon. Love will be harassed (and possibly injured) even more than currently. Hard pass (see what I did there) for me.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to weigh the 6th (IMO a pipe dream since he is a rental) or the more likely 7th against both the evaluation and health of Love. If the Pack want to keep Jones relatively healthy IMO they will have to have a 2nd back taking snaps. You can't make Jones a bell cow back and expect him to stay healthy IMO. That leads to a rookie or a recent signing as RB2. You think the box is loaded now? These guys can't pass block like Dillon. Love will be harassed (and possibly injured) even more than currently. Hard pass (see what I did there) for me.

For sure you bring forth the real third option. I still think within the organization they absolute like Dillon being around, BUT also know his role cannot be the bell cow backup as his legs just cannot handle it like they used to.

I do truly think a FB/RB3 type role could absolutley make him worth bringing back.

his pass blocking skills are second to none in our current backfield, and that is immensely valuable.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s not a coincidence that as I read posts above I was considering how much time Alexander has missed and how much durability impacts the game and how David and Jaires absence just crushes their contract value

And as I watch the Ravens I observe what we need: 1) A FB. No one pays attention to him. 2) A coach like John Harbaugh who can mold young players.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For Bahk, I'd say that anyone who can't play has a pretty damning effect on their value.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, I think we should trade Jones.

He's the only RB on our team with any value. Remember, any team can sign Fournette off the street right now who I'd grade above Dillon talent-wise, but not Jones. I'm doubtful that Dillon is really a sought-after commodity by anyone, especially after his slow start. I'd let Jones go for a second-day pick to the Ravens. Absolutely loved watching him play for the Packers, but he deserves to go to a contender. We can up Robinson from the practice squad and see what we have out of Dillon, Robinson, Wilson and probably draft the next big thing next year.

Reaction score
Personally, I think we should trade Jones.

He's the only RB on our team with any value. Remember, any team can sign Fournette off the street right now who I'd grade above Dillon talent-wise, but not Jones. I'm doubtful that Dillon is really a sought-after commodity by anyone, especially after his slow start. I'd let Jones go for a second-day pick to the Ravens. Absolutely loved watching him play for the Packers, but he deserves to go to a contender. We can up Robinson from the practice squad and see what we have out of Dillon, Robinson, Wilson and probably draft the next big thing next year.
I’m not sure I understand this. It appears that would escalate his sunk $$ of $12.35mil just to send him packing. What draft pick is worth $12.5n + their new salary on our cap sheet.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sure I understand this. It appears that would escalate his sunk $$ of $12.35mil just to send him packing. What draft pick is worth $12.5n + their new salary on our cap sheet.
A day1 in return IMO - IF you are conceding as an organization we gotta hit reset and rebuild.

I don't think it happens personally, but would understand if it did.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we just IR or trade Jones though....he is yet again not practicing. I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THE MAN, but just hang his cleats for the year or trade him. This is helping no one.

Reaction score
Good thing rookies are cheap.
the only way I’d trade Alexander is if a team offered us heavy on draft collateral. We get a draft picks for letting a good players walk once he signs a new contract, so it doesn’t make sense to me trading Jones and eating 12 and 1/2 million

Also Jones does not preclude us from signing a good RB to pair with Jones for a year and then take over the reigns. If Jones will take another paycut to stay it gives us 2 years to spread his hit.
= production in 2024
Lesser sunk in 2025

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the only way I’d trade Alexander is if a team offered us heavy on draft collateral. We get a draft picks for letting a good players walk once he signs a new contract, so it doesn’t make sense to me trading Jones and eating 12 and 1/2 million

Also Jones does not preclude us from signing a good RB to pair with Jones for a year and then take over the reigns. If Jones will take another paycut to stay it gives us 2 years to spread his hit. The first year we get production in return for 12.5mil, the second year we get a more palatable cap hit. 12.5 is a massive hit to take for zero production imo

Trading Jones now and getting 2024 draft capital vs...having to cut him and get nothing OR wait till 2026 for compensatory picks as 2025 he would sign a new contract elsewhere because he is signed through the 2024 season with us.

Trading Jones gets draft capital back now vs 2026

We have three options with Jones:

Ride this inability to play for a lethal player and expensive one and cut him after season and get nothing in return
Same as above but don't cut and allow contract to expire after the 2024 season and he test the 2025 free agency market potentially getting something back in 2026 draft.
Trade him and get immediate draft return for 2024 but swallow a fiscal pill.

Reaction score
Trading Jones now and getting 2024 draft capital vs...having to cut him and get nothing OR wait till 2026 for compensatory picks as 2025 he would sign a new contract elsewhere because he is signed through the 2024 season with us.

Trading Jones gets draft capital back now vs 2026

We have three options with Jones:

Ride this inability to play for a lethal player and expensive one and cut him after season and get nothing in return
Same as above but don't cut and allow contract to expire after the 2024 season and he test the 2025 free agency market potentially getting something back in 2026 draft.
Trade him and get immediate draft return for 2024 but swallow a fiscal pill.
True
More like Choke on a fiscal pill.

Reaction score
At some point we have to have some continuity around our QB. Just Look around. Jones’ absence has been a big part of our suffering imo. Remove him and we strip Jordan of the few known quantities we have left. Then get evicted on top of it. Lol

As long as I don’t hear any complaints when we crash and burn for a year or two? Let’s go ahead and trade him and swallow 12.5 but expect to get see more struggles

Good luck!! :laugh:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At some point we have to have some continuity around our QB. Just Look around. Jones’ absence has been a big part of our suffering imo. Remove him and we strip Jordan of the few known quantities we have left. Then get evicted on top of it. Lol

As long as I don’t hear any complaints when we crash and burn for a year or two? Let’s go ahead and trade him and swallow 12.5 but expect to get see more struggles

Good luck!! :laugh:

Even the game he was healthy to start the year......take away Jones' one big play and he even sucked at producing yards per touch. Our issues are deeper than if Jones is out there or not....don't get me wrong he is our biggest offensive needle pusher....but this OL and MLF calling has this offense's needle bent in a downward direction.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even the game he was healthy to start the year......take away Jones' one big play and he even sucked at producing yards per touch. Our issues are deeper than if Jones is out there or not....don't get me wrong he is our biggest offensive needle pusher....but this OL and MLF calling has this offense's needle bent in a downward direction.

At this point it won't be possible to right the ship with the oline mid season, IMO. What we have is what we have, and it's a poor product. I agree with the notion that Love will need stability around him, but that's going to be present with Musgrave, Watson, Doubs, Reed.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The flaw there is you presume there is zero value in his play this year.

Similarly, if AJ is valued so poorly that he wouldn't enter into comp pick compensation with his contract, why would another team trade for him now?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The flaw there is you presume there is zero value in his play this year.

Similarly, if AJ is valued so poorly that he wouldn't enter into comp pick compensation with his contract, why would another team trade for him now?

Nope not ignoring his value at all. It is something one has to consider is all.

There are numerous guys transacting each year for Day3 picks that then end up not meeting criteria for awarding a compensatory pick for - Dillon holds value for sure, especially a team like the Bills or Philly or any team that knows they're going to be facing playoffs and cold weather play...Chiefs too...if I'm them I'm calling Gute and willing to see if something could be worked out.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I get a chuckle from those complaining about MLF's coaching...he could be drawing up the best gameplan in the league but we wouldn't know it because our young receiving corps runs the wrong routes and end up with two receivers in the same spot or our extremely inexperienced QB (who the team drafted in 2020 so he could develop and supposedly skip all this garbage) still struggles with accuracy (since college) and decision making. I really doubt that's how MLF draws up plays with two receivers running to the same spot or a play that counts on Love throwing an uncatchable pass but if he is, then I absolutely agree he needs to be replaced.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we do what we can to stockpile picks to repair the O-line and get WR's for Love in the offseason. Hurts is only Hurts because his Oline is insane and their management wasn't too cheap to pay AJ Brown.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we just IR or trade Jones though....he is yet again not practicing. I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THE MAN, but just hang his cleats for the year or trade him. This is helping no one.
Hamstrings can be brutal.