Is Love being traded?

D

Deleted member 6794

True enough. But two things: the QB is by far the most important position on a team and also it takes a few years for a QB to develop. This is less true with both colleges and even High Schools going to more pro style offenses. But if a QB is allowed to watch and learn; maybe get some light "contrived" situational experience, he is more likely to succeed. The investment, even if it takes a few years, is worth it.

It makes sense for a team to sit a rookie quarterback for a season but under the current CBA it's not smart to have him serve as the backup for three years though.

Here is the thing. Rodgers is a super smart guy, he may have been pissed about Love, but I bet deep down he understood the pick. If he didn't, then he doesn't understand football and planning very well.

I'm convinced Rodgers didn't understand the reasoning behind the Packers trading up to select Love last year. You don't need to be worried about his football smarts because of it though.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It makes sense for a team to sit a rookie quarterback for a season but under the current CBA it's not smart to have him serve as the backup for three years though.
I agree that it doesn't make much sense to pick Love in the first round, if you're not looking to use the cap advantages of a QB with a rookie quarterback. Especially on a Super Bowl contending team. So I do think that intent was there, to choose him as Rodgers' replacement.

But I don't think they expected Rodgers to have the kind of MVP season he put up last year, or for the team to be as successful as they were. So that bit of added information may have led them to change their mind about replacing Rodgers. Or maybe not.

Reaction score
True enough. But two things: the QB is by far the most important position on a team and also it takes a few years for a QB to develop. This is less true with both colleges and even High Schools going to more pro style offenses. But if a QB is allowed to watch and learn; maybe get some light "contrived" situational experience, he is more likely to succeed. The investment, even if it takes a few years, is worth it.
There’s an interesting video of Gary Andersen speaking to the Packers decision to draft Love. He’s basically saying that Love has got the X factor when it comes to confidence. He thinks Love being a student of Rodgers will contribute highly to his success as a NFL QB and combined with his confidence and winning attitude and work ethic is an ideal cocktail that should pay dividends. He says he guarantees is that “Jordan will wow us with his throws” when given a chance.

I agree fully. Overall initial grooming him in the most successful system in the NFL far and away trumps the loss of the time needed to do so.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that it doesn't make much sense to pick Love in the first round, if you're not looking to use the cap advantages of a QB with a rookie quarterback. Especially on a Super Bowl contending team. So I do think that intent was there, to choose him as Rodgers' replacement.

The caveat being that the Packers are solely a Super Bowl contender because of Rodgers though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The caveat being that the Packers are solely a Super Bowl contender because of Rodgers though.
I think you’re underestimating the rest of our roster. We had 8 guys last year that were either all pro or played in pro bowl. IMO, we’ve got a very good group of core players with a few more that look like they are progressing to one day be in that core. The fact that we have a MVP caliber QB doesn’t mean that everyone else sucks.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm convinced Rodgers didn't understand the reasoning behind the Packers trading up to select Love last year. You don't need to be worried about his football smarts because of it though.

Bingo. like a million other ppl I’m sure he was like..Wth? They really just took a QB?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The huge differences being that nobody considered Love a potential #1 overall pick, .

Not that I was, or for that matter "yet," enamored with that pick, but we don't know that. Possible that Gute had him number one on his board. Also possible any team that drafted after 26 did as well.

Also possible that ever team that picked before 26 had Love ranked the 2nd best on their board at the time.

Both have varying degrees of likely, but one can make them more likely by limiting the number of teams in each grouping. Might 1/2 of the teams after us drafted love if he had been available? Did 10 teams above us consider Love their 2nd-best choice of their pick?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just can't hate on the Love pick given the climate in April 2020...

In April 2020, No football in 2020, Rodgers coming back in 2021 with 2 years off, Packers and the NFL with an unknown financial landscape was just as likely (if not more likely) than a record breaking offensive season, Rodgers MVP and 1 game away from the Super Bowl.

It was a calculated gamble that might have blown up, but if the thinking was a lost year and possible dump of salary due to major financial issues, then I can't be miffed at that.

I'd like if Rodgers could just play to his best without needing a chip on his shoulder all the time for every slight. It is quite tiresome. Actually the entire situation is tiresome. Again.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think you’re underestimating the rest of our roster. We had 8 guys last year that were either all pro or played in pro bowl. IMO, we’ve got a very good group of core players with a few more that look like they are progressing to one day be in that core. The fact that we have a MVP caliber QB doesn’t mean that everyone else sucks.

I didn't mention anything about the rest of the Packers' roster being terrible but believe the team wouldn't be a playoff contender with an average quarterback starting.

Not that I was, or for that matter "yet," enamored with that pick, but we don't know that. Possible that Gute had him number one on his board. Also possible any team that drafted after 26 did as well.

Also possible that ever team that picked before 26 had Love ranked the 2nd best on their board at the time.

Both have varying degrees of likely, but one can make them more likely by limiting the number of teams in each grouping. Might 1/2 of the teams after us drafted love if he had been available? Did 10 teams above us consider Love their 2nd-best choice of their pick?

Maybe I should have been more precise but there wasn't a single expert considering Love a possible #1 overall pick before last year's draft. 25 teams passing on him before the Packers selected him strongly indicates NFL teams agreed with that take.

In April 2020, No football in 2020, Rodgers coming back in 2021 with 2 years off, Packers and the NFL with an unknown financial landscape was just as likely (if not more likely) than a record breaking offensive season, Rodgers MVP and 1 game away from the Super Bowl.

The Packers making it to the NFCCG in 2019 should have resulted in the front office being aggressive to improve the current roster instead of selecting his possible replacement three years down the road.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

replace with Rodgers for love and it’s almost same thing

23 passed on him so they could have had him as the 2nd best?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until Love is either traded for a lower pick than he was selected with, or he leaves the team via free agency (cause Rodgers ages like Brady) there are fans that just will refuse to admit that the Love pick was a wasted opportunity to improve on an almost Super Bowl caliber team.

Normally, when I'm down on a draft pick the Packers made (e.g., I didn't like the Rashan Gary pick) I am hopeful that time will make me eat crow and that the player will turn out terrific. The issue with the Love pick is that if I hope for that, then it means that one of two things have happened; one, Rodgers' performance falls off a cliff or two, the Packers don't extend Rodgers and let him walk (which could be a function of the first reason). Neither of those two outcomes is actually good for the Packers so I'm not sure how, exactly, I'm supposed to hope for Love to turn into a good draft pick while also wanting the Packers to continue playing at a championship level.

Jordan Love has 3 more years on his rookie contract, and only two more years before the Packers have to decide whether to exercise his fifth year option. I'm not sure how the team is going to juggle that 5th year option in a season where Rodgers is only 39 and there is a very high chance that the Packers won't really have seen how good Love really is. I'm also not sure how many fans believe Rodgers will no longer be a QB that the Packers want during his age 40 season without some idea of how good Jordan Love is (and keep in mind, Love was a raw QB coming out of college so he's going to take some time to figure things out).

Time will tell but I still firmly believe that Cameron Dantzler, Trevon Diggs, Raekwon Davis, Tee Higgins, Pittman, or Chase Claypool would have helped this team much more last season and will almost certainly have helped the team more THIS season as well.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I honestly believe that Rodgers' performance in 2020 threw the Packers initial plan and timeline into a tailspin. Because if Rodgers plays at a comparable level for even another 2-3 years, it really makes the Love pick all the more egregious.

I'm convinced that the Packers felt Rodgers was in decline.

So Rodgers really has two choices: continue to play with a massive chip on his shoulder and make it impossible for the Packers to move on to Love, or force the Packers hand by creating an ugly, miserable situation and hope they move off of him.

The Packers could face a situation where they really have to eat the Love pick. Either that, or move off of a quarterback that's still playing at an insanely high level. Either one will come with a ton of backlash.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly believe that Rodgers' performance in 2020 threw the Packers initial plan and timeline into a tailspin. Because if Rodgers plays at a comparable level for even another 2-3 years, it really makes the Love pick all the more egregious.

So Rodgers really has two choices: continue to play with a massive chip on his shoulder and make it impossible for the Packers to move on to Love, or force the Packers hand by creating an ugly, miserable situation and hope they move off of him.

The Packers could face a situation where they really have to eat the Love pick. Either that, or move off of a quarterback that's still playing at an insanely high level. Either one will come with a ton of backlash.

I believe this is precisely the case. This is why when mixed with some of the things Gute said, yes he avoided saying anything directly, but what he did say makes me 100% think they would for sure listen to trade offers for Love. I in zero way believe a 1st rounder is possible in return of him BUT is there a world where you can get a 2nd....maybe - if so I think you take it. What if a team offers a lot of mid day or early day 3 picks like a two 3rds (one a year) plus an additional 4th this year....again I think you take it IF the team is now convinced Aaron is revitalized in this system and they believe he can thrive for a few more years.

I think teams like the Patriots, Broncos, Washington, Falcons, Saints, Panthers all if they don't get a QB in 1st round could be potential suitors.

I not in a million years thought I'd be saying this, but just the idea that Gute believes Aaron is the future for the foreseeable future makes me think it is not impossible - probable...eh I wouldn't go that far, but I'd much rather give up on the Love succession plan early and get something, than late and get nothing....doing it now allows the team to still sign a cheap veteran and draft a mid round/late round prospect like Ian Book.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is what made them move, not just the fact that it is clear they had Jordan ranked VERY HIGH on their board...but the fact I think both things were occurring is what made the Love pick justified. They simply got proven wrong at least on one part.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This is what made them move, not just the fact that it is clear they had Jordan ranked VERY HIGH on their board...but the fact I think both things were occurring is what made the Love pick justified. They simply got proven wrong at least on one part.
Another thought is that, if the Packers weren't sure of what they saw from Love in year 1 and don't see a substantial amount of improvement in year 2, it would be difficult to get any sort of legitimate compensation later on in years 3 or 4.

It might be prudent for the Packers to consider taking the medicine now, admitting a mistake, and moving forward with Rodgers for another few years.

And contrary how others interpret the Packers not tendering Boyle, it wasn't because of any sort of confidence in Love. It was because the Packers couldn't afford him, and also it was the only way possible to justify the Love pick.

I'm not convinced Love could've beat Boyle out for the backup in year 2.

So I'm thinking it could be a make or break proposition this season in regards to Love, as it relates to making a long term decision one way or the other.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The only way this whole thing doesn't eventually end nasty is if Rodgers takes a nose dive in 2023 and Love turns out to be a stud. That would be the ultimate dream scenario for Gute and company. Because that way, no one is unhappy with the sequence of events.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way this whole thing doesn't eventually end nasty is if Rodgers takes a nose dive in 2023 and Love turns out to be a stud. That would be the ultimate dream scenario for Gute and company. Because that way, no one is unhappy with the sequence of events.

Honestly, it wouldn't be a complete nose-dive if they got out took the medicine now....if we sit on Love with no plans of him being the QB1 in 2022 we will never get anything for Love most likely....

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if one of these QB needing teams thought Love was as good or better than the guys in this draft, lets say other than the top 2. Trade him for a 2nd and draft Kellen Mond in the 3rd.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly, it wouldn't be a complete nose-dive if they got out took the medicine now....if we sit on Love with no plans of him being the QB1 in 2022 we will never get anything for Love most likely....
I can definitely see him getting playing time this year in blowouts. Could be very easily justified by “we need to get our #1 backup some live fire experience” in case of Rodgers getting injured. He could become Garrapolo v. 2.0 and bring a nice return.

I think Rodgers will eventually go into a slow decline and is less likely to go off the cliff in one season unless it’s because of severe injury.

I’m glad we have Love. Looking forward to seeing him in pre-season action.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can definitely see him getting playing time this year in blowouts. Could be very easily justified by “we need to get our #1 backup some live fire experience” in case of Rodgers getting injured. He could become Garrapolo v. 2.0 and bring a nice return.

I think Rodgers will eventually go into a slow decline and is less likely to go off the cliff in one season unless it’s because of severe injury.

I’m glad we have Love. Looking forward to seeing him in pre-season action.

Let me clear, as many have attacked me for, I'm a Love fan - liked the guy out of college and had him ranked VERY high - I just believe the decline in Rodgers many of us (and obviously organization) felt coming simply didn't occur as expected.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before I read too much into Gutes words I'd want him to define foreseeable future. Is it 2021 which I think is 99% guaranteed or is it beyond which I think is significantly less so. And no I'm not going to define significantly less so.

Let me clear, as many have attacked me for, I'm a Love fan - liked the guy out of college and had him ranked VERY high - I just believe the decline in Rodgers many of us (and obviously organization) felt coming simply didn't occur as expected.

I agree, I think Rodgers' 2020 performance definitely put a twist in the Packers plans.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Before I read too much into Gutes words I'd want him to define foreseeable future. Is it 2021 which I think is 99% guaranteed or is it beyond which I think is significantly less so. And no I'm not going to define significantly less so.

What I hinged on was IF he didn't see Rodgers here beyond 2021 he wouldn't have said "the next couple years" part in conjunction with speaking to Rodgers' future. To me Rodgers unless something crazy happens is in the plans for two more years without question by Gute and Company. That is not something I felt was more likely than not likely just a few days ago...I kept having the sense 2021 was his last season in Green Bay.

Reaction score
IMO, As long as a team can get 1+ seasons at his roughly $3.3mil avg yearly remaining guarantee. he’s going to peak interest. 2+ years remaining and we’ll have lots of ways to go. For the same reasons it can be argued he’s a high risk, high reward QB (which is why many had him there earlier round 2; reliable Walter had him #52 overall) he also won’t drop significantly for a redshirt season or two.

I wouldn't mind if one of these QB needing teams thought Love was as good or better than the guys in this draft, lets say other than the top 2. Trade him for a 2nd and draft Kellen Mond in the 3rd.
Hey eTX bro! ;)

IF we’re going to take a loss, let’s do it after we make a concrete decision with Rodgers. There will be plenty of options between now and next season if we choose to go that route. In the meantime we need a reliable backup either way and he’s got a nice head start over another project QB.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be amazing to watch fans not hold the GM being paid millions responsible for such a large screw up if that's what ends up happening. Mind you, I like Gute, he's good, it's just amazing and baffling to watch fans pretend mistakes aren't something a GM should be held accountable for.

Members online

Latest posts