Is Love being traded?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess it depends what you want out of a TE. he blocks well. he gets open. He's never going to be a WR making people look silly, but he's athletic enough and fast enough to get open. he gets open like most good TE's have, by doing his job and working within the system. because he blocks well and can get out into routes well at this point in his career. If you throw it to him, he's going to catch it, very reliable that way. It's been a long time since we've had a TE like that in GB.

With a lesser QB he might be even better. I don't think Rodgers is looking for the TE all that often and usually looking further downfield. Lesser guys always come back to a TE for the easier throw. There are a handful of more "explosive" TE's that get more air time, but I think people sell Tonyan short just because he plays with Rodgers. I happen to think he's a good TE and would be hard pressed to find 10 guys I want doing his job on the field for this team.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess it depends what you want out of a TE. he blocks well. he gets open. He's never going to be a WR making people look silly, but he's athletic enough and fast enough to get open. he gets open like most good TE's have, by doing his job and working within the system. because he blocks well and can get out into routes well at this point in his career. If you throw it to him, he's going to catch it, very reliable that way. It's been a long time since we've had a TE like that in GB.

With a lesser QB he might be even better. I don't think Rodgers is looking for the TE all that often and usually looking further downfield. Lesser guys always come back to a TE for the easier throw. There are a handful of more "explosive" TE's that get more air time, but I think people sell Tonyan short just because he plays with Rodgers. I happen to think he's a good TE and would be hard pressed to find 10 guys I want doing his job on the field for this team.

He undoubtedly benefits from the fact that Rodgers seems to truly like him as a person...

But you're probably right Rodgers doesn't rely on the TE as much as a lot of QBs. However when Finley was around I remember him being targeted quite a bit by Rodgers. Like as much as a wr. So maybe it's been more of a product of them not having one worth throwing to since Finley til Tonyan.

And just for the record Tonyan does have wr level athletic ability which is how he gets open and I think a big reason why he had such a high catch percentage.

4.58 40 yard 1.53 10 yard 7.12 3 cone 4.34 20 yard shuttle 35 in vertical 16 reps

Compared to Adams

4.56 40 yard 1.64 10 yard 6.82 3 cone 4.30 20 yard shuttle 37 in vertical 14 reps

That 1.53 10 yard split is tyreek hill level elite

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is why not resigning Jared Cook was a mistake.

I agree that was a total fail for the front office and how that all went down too smh. I had kinda forgotten about him.

While his regular season was kinda blah he really showed towards the end and into the playoffs he had developed a connection with Rodgers few tight ends have...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that was a total fail for the front office and how that all went down too smh. I had kinda forgotten about him.

While his regular season was kinda blah he really showed towards the end and into the playoffs he had developed a connection with Rodgers few tight ends have...
Couldn’t afford him at the time. Cook is a true mercenary that made a few good plays for us but isn’t the type of guy you build your TE room around long term imo. He was injured part of the year for us. Made a great sideline catch on a broken play in the playoff game against Dallas.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and that play is the only positive memory I have of Cook with the Packers

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn’t afford him at the time. Cook is a true mercenary that made a few good plays for us but isn’t the type of guy you build your TE room around long term imo. He was injured part of the year for us. Made a great sideline catch on a broken play in the playoff game against Dallas.

That's not how it happened the Packers wanted him back offered the money but then there was some snafu at the very end where cook ended up signing with someone else I think the raiders because he was disgruntled with something the Packers FO did.

Oh yeah I remember now they had a deal on table for cook then pulled it at last second to sign Martellus Bennet....

Quote from cook "I definitely did NOT turn down a deal"

I didn't say he was an all pro. I said he was a guy that had rare chemistry with Rodgers

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If cook was being honest, he would probably have to say, I didn’t turn down a deal but I didn’t sign the one offered that would have paid me at as much as Marty made

Reaction score
Not really. If rodgers goes the team isn't winning much so the backup didn't really matter that much (especially when the backup is a raw rookie). You need his successor but he was picked about 3 years too soon.
I’d similarly say we chose at QB 1-2 years premature. We both have some hindsight our FO did not benefit from though for fairness. An entire MVP season.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I mean with Rodgers...put him with another qb and I do too.

But with Rodgers I'd expect him to have a similar season and I can't imagine there were 10 that were better than him in 2020. That's gotta be one of the most efficient lines for a te dare I say ever. Caught 88% of targets. A Td ever 6 targets and it's not like he only had 12 all year or something

Tonyan finished 13th among tight ends in receptions and yards last season. While he had a ton of touchdowns I don't think I would put him above any of the players ranked above him solely based on it without any question.

Couldn’t afford him at the time.

Come on, Pike, stop making things up to defend the front office. The Packers signed Bennett to a more lucrative deal that offseason than Cook signed for with the Raiders.

The team could have definitely afforded to re-sign Cook.

and that play is the only positive memory I have of Cook with the Packers

Cook was tied for third in receptionand ranked sixth in yards in the entire league during the 2016 playoffs. The Packers should have brought him back.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If cook was being honest, he would probably have to say, I didn’t turn down a deal but I didn’t sign the one offered that would have paid me at as much as Marty made

No the quote was a couple tweets and it was much longer. And it basically explains what happened which is the Packers FO dcked him. They put out that Cook wanted more money but what actually happened is they pulled the offer and gave the money to Bennett because they thought he was a more complete te...how'd that turn out for them?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No the quote was a couple tweets and it was much longer. And it basically explains what happened which is the Packers FO dcked him. They put out that Cook wanted more money but what actually happened is they pulled the offer and gave the money to Bennett because they thought he was a more complete te...how'd that turn out for them?
turned out for ****, but then almost everybody thought Marty was the more complete TE. he just happened to be a giant turd in the brain too. The FO didn't duck him, he didn't sign it. He was offered and didn't sign it because he wanted more.

It didn't work out for the Packers, but that's how it goes sometimes. But what didn't happen was a situation where the Packers were in complete control and didn't re-sign him. Cook played his part every bit as much as GB.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonyan finished 13th among tight ends in receptions and yards last season. While he had a ton of touchdowns I don't think I would put him above any of the players ranked above him solely based on it without any question.

That's true but if you look at that list the only guy close to tonyan in efficiency was George Kittle. He had 48 receptions on just 63 targets 2 tds pretty damn good but not Tonyan level.

I'll just use one example of the guys ahead of him on that list. Evan Engram had 50 more targets, that's significant. But he caught only 11 more balls, 63. For 68 more total yards, 654 and had 10 less tds, 1.

The next closest guy in targets, besides Kittle, Fhof Rob Gronkowski with 77. Point being had Tonyan gotten even 77 targets he would of jumped up that list significantly from #13

Using his stats that extra 18 targets would have netted him 16 more receptions, 68 total. 180 additional yards for total of 766. And another 3 tds for 14 total.

That would of put him 3rd in total yards, 4th in receptions and alone in first for tds. While being tied for 13th in targets

So yes, I'd say he's unquestionably a top 10 te in this league with the chemistry he has with Rodgers at qb...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's true but if you look at that list the only guy close to tonyan in efficiency was George Kittle. He had 48 receptions on just 63 targets 2 tds pretty damn good but not Tonyan level.

I'll just use one example of the guys ahead of him on that list. Evan Engram had 50 more targets, that's significant. But he caught only 11 more balls, 63. For 68 more total yards, 654 and had 10 less tds, 1.

The next closest guy in targets, besides Kittle, Fhof Rob Gronkowski with 77. Point being had Tonyan gotten even 77 targets he would of jumped up that list significantly from #13

Using his stats that extra 18 targets would have netted him 16 more receptions, 68 total. 180 additional yards for total of 766. And another 3 tds for 14 total.

That would of put him 3rd in total yards, 4th in receptions and alone in first for tds. While being tied for 13th in targets

So yes, I'd say he's unquestionably a top 10 te in this league with the chemistry he has with Rodgers at qb...
So, the next question is 'was he targeted less because he has less ability to get open?'

It's tough to look at stats and see the full picture. I can't say because I only watch Packer games these days and haven't seen the others play. But I do know this about Tonyan. He is still getting better. Rodgers went to him in the red zone but I thought he could have gone to him a bit more in the rest of the field. I think he is a top 10 or will be this coming season.

Reaction score
The only circumstances under which I would be in favor of trading Love is if we get a young star QB at the start of his career like Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield, or Justin Herbert, or if we get a top 10-15 pick in an upcoming draft to take a stud QB prospect.

I don't think either scenario is likely.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, the next question is 'was he targeted less because he has less ability to get open?'

It's tough to look at stats and see the full picture. I can't say because I only watch Packer games these days and haven't seen the others play. But I do know this about Tonyan. He is still getting better. Rodgers went to him in the red zone but I thought he could have gone to him a bit more in the rest of the field. I think he is a top 10 or will be this coming season.

I would say no to your question because such a high catch percentage especially compared to his direct peers leads me to believe 1 his qb was really good and 2 he got separation often.

I'd agree I think Rodgers could choose to go to him more but just for whatever reason (davante adams/opportunity cost) doesn't.

D

Deleted member 6794

You have to consider that Tonyan catching passes from the MVP definitely resulted in his efficiency being better than most other tight ends.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to consider that Tonyan catching passes from the MVP definitely resulted in his efficiency being better than most other tight ends.

I said exactly that previously, possibly in a different thread...but Ive been saying this whole time as well, Tonyan is a top 10 te WITH Rodgers as his qb. If he has that kind of efficiency again with Rodgers this season then what? You know what I mean, at some point he's still putting up the numbers by catching the ball

D

Deleted member 6794

I said exactly that previously, possibly in a different thread...but Ive been saying this whole time as well, Tonyan is a top 10 te WITH Rodgers as his qb. If he has that kind of efficiency again with Rodgers this season then what? You know what I mean, at some point he's still putting up the numbers by catching the ball

In my opinion Tonyan needs to be as efficient while receiving more targets to be considered a top 10 tight end.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some dude on Reddit is saying he’s hearing from a friend Love, a 3rd and 4th to ATL for Julio

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion Tonyan needs to be as efficient while receiving more targets to be considered a top 10 tight end.

Fair enough definitely a one year wonder at this point but if he does it over more targets he'll be more like a top 5 te I think...

who knows, maybe they can fit him in by extending Rodgers and Adams

They absolutely could figure out a way but that would likely entail essentially "moving on " from Love...which I'm ok with but the FO hasn't been...and I don't mean getting rid of him now but I mean likely trading him before his rookie deal is up because a Rodgers extension that gives any kind of cap relief would have to add two years to his 3 remaining

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some dude on Reddit is saying he’s hearing from a friend Love, a 3rd and 4th to ATL for Julio

Some dude on Reddit also said grass is blue, the sky is green and the earth is flat. I'd put my money on him before your guy.

Actually, to be honest I don't know if the guy is saying that or if he heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend...

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's too much compensation. Julio has high cap numbers and is old. I still love the player and would be stoked on a trade for him but from a negotiating stand point the Packers would hopefully do just a 3rd and maybe like a conditional 5th or Love and a 4th. Maybe just Love straight up because obviously if the Falcons were willing to trade for Love they think he's a future franchise qb

Members online

Latest posts