Free Agency: TE's

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's only 4/47 per game, and a TD every other game. That's actually pretty low for a #3 or #4 receiving option. I could see quite a bit of 2-TE sets, also, which may bode well for Gronk, too.

Actually more specifically it's pretty average for a #3 WR. For a #1 TE those numbers are actually pretty damn

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of the problem with that comparison is your assuming Bennett right now is relatively close to Hernandez as a player then.

Yes he'll get used. Yes he'll put up good numbers. But the numbers you listed for the #2 TE, even one on a team that throws alot and likes to use TEs, is ALOT. And yes if Gronk gets hurt he'll stand a good chance of putting up those numbers. Hense the question I posed in my original reply
He had 90 catches 2 years ago and hasn't suffered any major injuries. I feel I answered your question but if the data/answer isn't good enough for you, than so be it. No worries.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of the problem with that comparison is your assuming Bennett right now is relatively close to Hernandez as a player then.

Yes he'll get used. Yes he'll put up good numbers. But the numbers you listed for the #2 TE, even one on a team that throws alot and likes to use TEs, is ALOT. And yes if Gronk gets hurt he'll stand a good chance of putting up those numbers. Hense the question I posed in my original reply
Gronk is better than he was then as well, and will draw more attention so defenses will have a tough time covering a second athletic TE. This is all in theory, though. He could be a non-factor. But it would be nice to have 2 dynamic TEs instead of 0 like we have.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gronk is better than he was then as well, and will draw more attention so defenses will have a tough time covering a second athletic TE. This is all in theory, though. He could be a non-factor. But it would be nice to have 2 dynamic TEs instead of 0 like we have.

I'm not saying he can't or won't have a big impact for them. Just that I think the numbers that were listed are a little to high

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if the Pats had a true #1 WR to go with Gronk? Might be a bunch of new records.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about signing Owen Daniels? He'd be an instant upgrade. Seriously, the Packers have the worst set of TE's that I have seen for this franchise. Richard Rodgers is too slow to play in the NFL. We all know he should be cut but that won't happen. Tossing a low round draft pick into the sorry mix of TE's won't help. That would just be more negligence. It's such a weak year for TE's in the draft that it's possible no draft pick may help this year. Owen Daniels despite the knee issues is way better than what is currently on the roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

What about signing Owen Daniels? He'd be an instant upgrade. Seriously, the Packers have the worst set of TE's that I have seen for this franchise. Richard Rodgers is too slow to play in the NFL. We all know he should be cut but that won't happen. Tossing a low round draft pick into the sorry mix of TE's won't help. That would just be more negligence. It's such a weak year for TE's in the draft that it's possible no draft pick may help this year. Owen Daniels despite the knee issues is way better than what is currently on the roster.

I want Thompson to upgrade the tight end position as well but to suggest Rodgers should be cut is ridiculous. He's a decent #2 TE and a dangerous red zone target.

Not sure Daniels would provide any improvement.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Richard Rodgers is never going to scare anyone. He's not overly fast and he doesn't t break many tackles. You can cover him with just about anyone one on one which is why I think our passing game suffered outside of Nelson being on IR last season. Tell me why teams like New England, and KC can score points and be effective without stud wrs?? As good as Brady is he wouldn't be nearly as good without Gronk. Give Aaron Rodgers A Gronk and we'd score 30 a game.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Richard Rodgers is never going to scare anyone. He's not overly fast and he doesn't t break many tackles. You can cover him with just about anyone one on one which is why I think our passing game suffered outside of Nelson being on IR last season. Tell me why teams like New England, and KC can score points and be effective without stud wrs?? As good as Brady is he wouldn't be nearly as good without Gronk. Give Aaron Rodgers A Gronk and we'd score 30 a game.

Give Rodgers Jordy and we'd score 30 a game with RR at TE. Having a stud TE would be great but let's not say it's essential for us to have an elite offense when we've seen that it isn't.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give Rodgers Jordy and we'd score 30 a game with RR at TE. Having a stud TE would be great but let's not say it's essential for us to have an elite offense when we've seen that it isn't.
what are you talking about? we won a super bowl with Quarless and Don Lee as our TE's. Clearly we need to have one of the top 2 TE's in the league on the roster at each TE postion or we can't go expect to go anywhere. 50+ catches and 8TD's? pffffttt. Defenses won't even know you're on the field. :)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There are maybe 6 TEs in the league that scare anyone so the Packers have plenty of company in that they are one of the majority of teams looking for one.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what are you talking about? we won a super bowl with Quarless and Don Lee as our TE's. Clearly we need to have one of the top 2 TE's in the league on the roster at each TE postion or we can't go expect to go anywhere. 50+ catches and 8TD's? pffffttt. Defenses won't even know you're on the field. :)
Rodgers is good in the red zone and has great hands, but we need somebody capable of getting open for something other than a 1 yard TE screen on a consistent basis.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are maybe 6 TEs in the league that scare anyone so the Packers have plenty of company in that they are one of the majority of teams looking for one.

There are more than six tight ends in the league offering more athleticism than Rodgers. He is a dangerous red zone threat but a TE capable of stretching the field would open up short to intermediate passing lanes as well as the running game.

The Packers don't need a player like Gronkowski at the position to be succesful but there's no doubt an improvement would certainly help.

How about just tear that page out of the playbook? Maybe toss to a RB or WR instead?

I agree that play is mind-boggling. I don't know if it's play calling or Rodgers dumping the ball off to his TE but the Packers should for sure stop doing it immediately.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are more than six tight ends in the league offering more athleticism than Rodgers. He is a dangerous red zone threat but a TE capable of stretching the field would open up short to intermediate passing lanes as well as the running game.

The Packers don't need a player like Gronkowski at the position to be succesful but there's no doubt an improvement would certainly help.

I agree that play is mind-boggling. I don't know if it's play calling or Rodgers dumping the ball off to his TE but the Packers should for sure stop doing it immediately.

Well yeah it'd help. Quite a bit actually. But theres an implecation in many posts that TE is a huge dire need and in order for our offense to be successful/elite there's no way we can do that without an upgrade from RR.

It's not like RR is some scrub who should be cut like one poster said. An upgrade would definitely be more than welcome but I wouldn't label it essential in the the scope of next season

D

Deleted member 6794

Well yeah it'd help. Quite a bit actually. But theres an implecation in many posts that TE is a huge dire need and in order for our offense to be successful/elite there's no way we can do that without an upgrade from RR.

It's not like RR is some scrub who should be cut like one poster said. An upgrade would definitely be more than welcome but I wouldn't label it essential in the the scope of next season

The Packers offense played on an elite level with Rodgers, Quarless and Bostick being the only tight ends on the roster in 2014, so it´s for sure not essential to have a top player at the position.

There´s no doubt that it´s the weakest position group on offense though. With only Rodgers, Perillo, Backman and Henry under contract the backup position has to be addressed before the start of the season at least though.

As I´ve mentioned after reading the post, suggesting Rodgers should be cut is ludicrous.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
What if the Pats had a true #1 WR to go with Gronk? Might be a bunch of new records.
The pats do have a true #1 WR in Edelman. Edelmans yards after catch are among the highest in the league. Brady does not throw the ball over 10 yards, his receiving corps does that for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

The pats do have a true #1 WR in Edelman. Edelmans yards after catch are among the highest in the league. Brady does not throw the ball over 10 yards, his receiving corps does that for him.

Edelman isn´t a great #1 receiver. Yards after catch aren´t the best indicator for an elite WR and FWIW he isn´t one of the best in the league in that category either.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Edelman isn´t a great #1 receiver. Yards after catch aren´t the best indicator for an elite WR and FWIW he isn´t one of the best in the league in that category either.
What happened to the Patriots without Edelman? They still had Gronk and could not get anything done the second half of the season without him. They looked even worse than the Packers offense without Jordy Nelson, and we had no one even comparable to Gronk and just as bad of an Oline.

Members online

Latest posts