Free Agency: TE's

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not that was apparent to any of us, but fans sure were
I don't think luck had anything to do with it. Green was probably like 90% of the other free agents....... Of no interest to Thompson.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think luck had anything to do with it. Green was probably like 90% of the other free agents....... Of no interest to Thompson.
if by no interest you mean after considering what he knew of them, he didn't care to pursue them, then I'd agree. If you mean he just blindly crosses everyone off the list because they're a FA, then I don't. I don't think there are many with their finger on the pulse of the NFL like Ted Thompson. He seems to have a well thought out plan for everything he does. Even if you don't like or agree with it, it would be hard to argue these decisions are made willy nilly. I highly doubt he changes his entire MO just to cross a potential FA off of some list. He probably had him scouted, vetted and had a plan in place efore 90% of the fans even knew who he was.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
if by no interest you mean after considering what he knew of them, he didn't care to pursue them, then I'd agree. If you mean he just blindly crosses everyone off the list because they're a FA, then I don't. I don't think there are many with their finger on the pulse of the NFL like Ted Thompson. He seems to have a well thought out plan for everything he does. Even if you don't like or agree with it, it would be hard to argue these decisions are made willy nilly. I highly doubt he changes his entire MO just to cross a potential FA off of some list. He probably had him scouted, vetted and had a plan in place efore 90% of the fans even knew who he was.
I agree with you totally. I don't think Thompson does anything blindly. I think he turns over every stone.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yet it was John Schneider who had to convince Thompson to sign Charles Woodson because Thompson had basically no interest in signing Woodson. Thompson is a pretty good GM but he does dislike free agency more than just about every other GM out there. That's a good think if you compare him to the average GM who hurts his team through free agency. It's not a good thing when compared to the few GMs who help their teams through free agency (again, only a few of those though).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet it was John Schneider who had to convince Thompson to sign Charles Woodson because Thompson had basically no interest in signing Woodson. Thompson is a pretty good GM but he does dislike free agency more than just about every other GM out there. That's a good think if you compare him to the average GM who hurts his team through free agency. It's not a good thing when compared to the few GMs who help their teams through free agency (again, only a few of those though).
Did he convince him to sign Peppers and Cook too? I'm sure Ted makes his own decisions. I do t think he dislikes FA, I think he dislikes paying greatly inflated prices and trusts his and his staffs ability to find good players. When perceived production is in line with an affordable price tag he has his plan in place because like always there's an entire roster to maintain, not just a position of weakness to fill.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did he convince him to sign Peppers and Cook too? I'm sure Ted makes his own decisions. I do t think he dislikes FA, I think he dislikes paying greatly inflated prices and trusts his and his staffs ability to find good players. When perceived production is in line with an affordable price tag he has his plan in place because like always there's an entire roster to maintain, not just a position of weakness to fill.

As with everything we discuss here, if we could define the terms, the conflict decreases. If we knew how TT perceived the potential free agents and what he thought was affordable for that production, even if we didn't agree, we could perhaps understand his moves a little better.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Are Peppers and Cook supposed to prove that Thompson is not more averse to free agents than most GMs? Because two examples doesn't really prove much, especially when Cook is complete unknown at this point that has been a disappointment for every team he's ever played for. Thompson is a good GM. He doesn't like free agency. Since most GMs are terrible at free agency, that makes Thompson's decision to avoid free agency a good thing, IF you are comparing Thompson to bad GMs. Other GMs that are relatively good at free agency (Belichick, Schneider, uhmmm.....as I said, this list is pretty small) manage to avoid crippling their teams with free agency yet somehow get forgotten whenever the discussion on free agency begins.

D

Deleted member 6794

Other GMs that are relatively good at free agency (Belichick, Schneider, uhmmm.....as I said, this list is pretty small) manage to avoid crippling their teams with free agency yet somehow get forgotten whenever the discussion on free agency begins.

I would include John Elway, Dave Gettleman and Steve Keim in this list as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are Peppers and Cook supposed to prove that Thompson is not more averse to free agents than most GMs? Because two examples doesn't really prove much, especially when Cook is complete unknown at this point that has been a disappointment for every team he's ever played for. Thompson is a good GM. He doesn't like free agency. Since most GMs are terrible at free agency, that makes Thompson's decision to avoid free agency a good thing, IF you are comparing Thompson to bad GMs. Other GMs that are relatively good at free agency (Belichick, Schneider, uhmmm.....as I said, this list is pretty small) manage to avoid crippling their teams with free agency yet somehow get forgotten whenever the discussion on free agency begins.
yeah, that was my point :) or it was that Ted has a plan in FA, and he doesn't need Schneider to tell him how to execute it. I will never argue that Ted loves to spend money in FA, but when he sees the value, he does.

I'm not going round and round yet again. Ted is, and will be in the discussion for one of the top GM's in the league, and he's been there for a while. Outside of Belichick, the rest are johnny come latelys. It will be interesting to see if Denver even makes the playoffs this year. Same for Seattle. But seasons are long, lots can happen. This year, just like the past 3, I've felt GB has a team that can win it all. We'll see what happens.

D

Deleted member 6794

Has Schneider really been good in fa? He has missed quite a bit. He has hit on his smaller Ted Thompson type signings. His big moves haven't gone as well. Flynn, Harvin, Graham, Whitehurst, etc. Some of those were trades but he signed the guys he traded for to big deals.

http://www.hawkblogger.com/2016/07/5-best-5-worst-john-schneider-decisions-as-seahawks-gm.html

It would take a lot of time to analyze Schneider's success in free agency compared to other teams.

One thing is for certain though, the Seahawks have been one of the most successful teams since Schneider took over as the team's general manager and compared to Thompson he frequently uses free agency and trades to try to improve the roster. Of course not all of these moves work out the way planned.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those keeping score at home, Martellus Bennett in six games (four of which were without Tom Brady):
  • 26 receptions on 33 targets, 362 yards, 4 TDs

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those keeping score at home, Martellus Bennett in six games (four of which were without Tom Brady):
  • 26 receptions on 33 targets, 362 yards, 4 TDs
He didn't need a coach who would arrogantly insult the fans and say that everything was great during the year then call him out afterwards for being fat. He needed a winning coach in a winning culture that would expect a lot from him.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really can't stand Marty Bennett but maybe that kind of guy would shake up this odd culture in GB where everything is in house, hush hush, swept under the rug. If you all think J Fin ran his mouth.....he is shy compared to Bennett.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Bennett is playing in an offense designed to get the ball to a stud TE. That stud missed several games for injury. He was around to pick up the slack.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see them locking him up long term. He runs his mouth way to much for Bill's program. He is on his best behavior this year but when he has a long term deal he won't be.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really can't stand Marty Bennett but maybe that kind of guy would shake up this odd culture in GB where everything is in house, hush hush, swept under the rug. If you all think J Fin ran his mouth.....he is shy compared to Bennett.
why do you think running your mouth fixes anything? Being kept in house is vastly different than swept under the rug. I don't for a second think these coaches or these players have stopped trying to figure it out. There are zero successful organizations that fix anything by listening to all the talking heads and fans and there never will be.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He didn't need a coach who would arrogantly insult the fans and say that everything was great during the year then call him out afterwards for being fat. He needed a winning coach in a winning culture that would expect a lot from him.

When has MM insulted fans?

I also haven't seen any of him saying everything is great.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bennett is playing in an offense designed to get the ball to a stud TE. That stud missed several games for injury. He was around to pick up the slack.

Exactly...pick up the slack. Gronk is a difference maker we all know that. But to have a guy capable to "pick up the slack" is what makes the Patriots the Patriots. They Always have some guy who can pick up the slack. When you can scheme around your 3rd string qb? or trade probably your best defensive player and not fall off the map that's superb coaching.

The Packers look horrible without Matthews on defense and he's still on the roster. We still don't have a game changer at Tightend, the running game is a mess, they have no clue who they wanna put there, the Packers don't like to trade or sign anyone...so the secondary has a couple undrafted free agents manning important spots, and if Rodgers got hurt I have zero faith that we could roll off some wins until he got back. And it's not because I think Huntley is a bad player..it's just knowing MM would still call the offense as if Rodgers was playing Qb instead of changing his offense to cater to Hundleys strengths. We've seen this story before with the qb mess we had two years ago. If you could clone the Patriots staff and put them in Green Bay I guarantee you the Packers are over 500. , have multiple SB wins, and there is no talk of Rodgers and the offense being in a "funk".

As good as Tom Brady is you'd find very few people (not Patriots fans) who'd take Tom Brady in his prime over Aaron Rodgers in his prime. Unfortunately for us the prime of Aaron Rodgers isn't being taken advantage of....while Tom Brady in his prime was winning SBs . I blame all this on MM and TT and I won't change my stance on that..injuries or not. That's a old overused excuse in GrrenBay.

Members online

Latest posts