Free Agency: TE's

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bennett is being traded to the New England Patriots for draft pick compensation.

IMO, great pickup for the Pats. They get a motivated Bennett on the last year of his contract to pair with Gronk.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Bennett and a 6th round pick in exchange for a 4th round pick.

Another thing to take into account: Bennett is in the final year of his contract. If he plays well during this contract year and signs a free agent deal next year, the Pats get a comp pick in return. The Pats could wind up getting Bennett, a 2016 6th round pick and a 2017 4th round pick in exchange for a 4th round pick.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree too you should watch some highlights of Tyler higbee he could be a sleeper fast te.. And to Ted u know a lot of people hate on him but the thing is look at what he has done for us as fans every yr we have a chance to go all the way we have consistently been good it's never been up down up down he is smart and I think he is one of the best gm s of all time... Yeah from a fans point of view we wanna get excited to see free agents and our favorite players from other teams come here and play but it generally doesn't happen do I think he makes some mistakes by not signing some guys yeah sure but he knows what he is doing a lot of it is financial and a lot of us don't understand that he is a good at managing the cap and setting the future up.. So onto cook again do u think something would have happened by now? Do u think they offered a contract?
I agree with the previous comment that TT probably made an offer on the cheap side and Cook is weighing his options. I'm no GM but know the game pretty well. We need to sign this guy. Period. Make the call and hammer out a deal. We can't be that far apart unless JC is asking for the moon which would be ridiculous to say the least. This is a guy that is just what the doctor ordered physically. Cook was a good citizen as well so unless something has yet to surface I don't see character being an issue. I'm calling my shot and saying he's signed by Saturday. Come on Teddy!

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope so! Lol I have been checkin all the news feed to see what's going on I'm sure they made a low ball offer to him see if he bites I bet his agent is talking to other people trying to get a deal Ted prob offered a 1 yr deal to him also some stuff about Arian foster interest that don't really intrigue me we need a change of pace Darren sproles type back fast and can catch.. Lacy is our guy!! The more I think towards the draft I think they will go d line hard like they did with corner last yr.. I'm still banking on jayrone Elliott having a break out yr as long as he gets playing time he constantly gets pressure and makes plays.. Kinda like Janis lol

D

Deleted member 6794

Henry isn't a blazer but certainly isn't "slow." He's a high 4.6 low 4.7 guy making him upper 3rd in speed at that position. His game tape will show you he's a considerable speed upgrade over RR.

There´s no doubt Henry is faster than Rodgers but he´s not the athletic the Packers should be looking for. I would be in favor of signing Cook to a reasonable deal.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There´s no doubt Henry is faster than Rodgers but he´s not the athletic the Packers should be looking for. I would be in favor of signing Cook to a reasonable deal.
I've been saying this since the Cook visited. JC is the one I want for a number of reasons with eliminating the need/chance we have to reach early being paramount.
I've watched Henry live, twice, and the kid is a really good athlete. I was speaking more to that than lobbying for us to pick him. I much prefer Cook over drafting HH.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope so! Lol I have been checkin all the news feed to see what's going on I'm sure they made a low ball offer to him see if he bites I bet his agent is talking to other people trying to get a deal Ted prob offered a 1 yr deal to him also some stuff about Arian foster interest that don't really intrigue me we need a change of pace Darren sproles type back fast and can catch.. Lacy is our guy!! The more I think towards the draft I think they will go d line hard like they did with corner last yr.. I'm still banking on jayrone Elliott having a break out yr as long as he gets playing time he constantly gets pressure and makes plays.. Kinda like Janis lol
It's hard not to root for a guy like Jayrone! The kid has shown he can make plays and timely ones at that. So long as he's putting in the work I see him getting a significant bump in playing time this next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's hard not to root for a guy like Jayrone! The kid has shown he can make plays and timely ones at that. So long as he's putting in the work I see him getting a significant bump in playing time this next season.

With the Packers moving Matthews back outside, rushing Datone Jones from the edge and the re-signing of Perry I have a hard time believing Elliott´s playing time will increase significantly.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers moving Matthews back outside, rushing Datone Jones from the edge and the re-signing of Perry I have a hard time believing Elliott´s playing time will increase significantly.
If he outperforms the others (Jones and Perry) he will. He's shown enough to warrant more snaps. At what point does production trump "potential"?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martellus Bennett isn't something to be overly upset about IMO. Character guy who posted this stat line last year..

https://twitter.com/FO_ScottKacsmar/status/710272810892005376

He had a bad 2015, but since 2011 Bennett is the #2 TE in YAC behind Gronk and in front of Greg Olson.

I have a feeling he's going to want to earn a new contract. He's a 29 year-old TE in the last year of his contract who wants to get paid. He's going to be very motivated in 2016.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had a bad 2015, but since 2011 Bennett is the #2 TE in YAC behind Gronk and in front of Greg Olson.

I have a feeling he's going to want to earn a new contract. He's a 29 year-old TE in the last year of his contract who wants to get paid. He's going to be very motivated in 2016.
Sadly I agree. Brady will feed him often and I could easily see a 65/750/9 line from him.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly I agree. Brady will feed him often and I could easily see a 65/750/9 line from him.

Are you seeing Gronk getting hurt again?

If not I don't see him comming anywhere close to those numbers otherwise. He can have a great year but if your expecting strait up Pro Bowl numbers like that from him behind Gronk you'll probably be disappointed

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If not I don't see him comming anywhere close to those numbers otherwise. He can have a great year but if your expecting strait up Pro Bowl numbers like that from him behind Gronk you'll probably be disappointed
That's only 4/47 per game, and a TD every other game. That's actually pretty low for a #3 or #4 receiving option. I could see quite a bit of 2-TE sets, also, which may bode well for Gronk, too.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With how much NE throws the ball and their lack of explosive WR's, I can easily see their TE's getting the lions share of catches. Brady loves throwing to TE's and RB's.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bennett will be a nice fit in NE. However it is hard to blame TT for not getting him when we have no idea if the Bears would have traded him in the division. That isn't super common

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I couldn't disagree more and I'm obviously not alone. For perspective here's some numbers from when N.E. had 2 legit TE's...

From 2010-2012 Aaron Hernandez averaged 59 catches for 652 yards and 6 TD's. Keep in mind this includes his rookie season (TE's usually struggle their first yr) plus he missed TEN games over this 3 year stretch. Gronk missed a total of 5 games over the same stretch. MB is a seasoned player who will be able to step right in and contribute. In short, I stand stand by my 65/750/9 prediction and believe the data backs me up.

Furthermore they are passing more than ever. From 2010-2014 N.E. averaged 464 rush attempts per season. Last season they ran the ball only 383 times. Their game is spreading opponents out, short passes, dinking and dunking constantly looking for matchups to exploit. MB is a big, fast (enough!) man who should fit into this scheme perfectly. Again, the numbers are there to expect a pretty big 16 campaign from Bennett.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more and I'm obviously not alone. For perspective here's some numbers from when N.E. had 2 legit TE's...

From 2010-2012 Aaron Hernandez averaged 59 catches for 652 yards and 6 TD's. Keep in mind this includes his rookie season (TE's usually struggle their first yr) plus he missed TEN games over this 3 year stretch. Gronk missed a total of 5 games over the same stretch. MB is a seasoned player who will be able to step right in and contribute. In short, I stand stand by my 65/750/9 prediction and believe the data backs me up.

Furthermore they are passing more than ever. From 2010-2014 N.E. averaged 464 rush attempts per season. Last season they ran the ball only 383 times. Their game is spreading opponents out, short passes, dinking and dunking constantly looking for matchups to exploit. MB is a big, fast (enough!) man who should fit into this scheme perfectly. Again, the numbers are there to expect a pretty big 16 campaign from Bennett.

Part of the problem with that comparison is your assuming Bennett right now is relatively close to Hernandez as a player then.

Yes he'll get used. Yes he'll put up good numbers. But the numbers you listed for the #2 TE, even one on a team that throws alot and likes to use TEs, is ALOT. And yes if Gronk gets hurt he'll stand a good chance of putting up those numbers. Hense the question I posed in my original reply

Last edited: