Defending Janis

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't know how I forgot about him. Montgomery is right there with Adams and Abby, I agree, as a near lock. That leaves Janis, Davis, and Allison on the bubble with only 1 spot available IMO as I see no way they keep 7 WRs. If Janis stays I would guess they try to get both Davis and Allison on the PS.

Mostly agree but I think there's a slim chance the Packers keep seven wide receivers if Janis is healthy for the start of the season.

Sky King

Reaction score
Montgomery, Adams and Abby have all had trouble staying healthy. Note that Adams' bad 2015 allegedly stemmed from being injured last season according to some posters around here.

In addition, Montgomery has had trouble tracking the long ball every bit as much as Janis does. We witnessed that last preseason and in his shortened regular season. It was also mentioned by scouts in his pre-draft reviews. There's possibly a good reason he plays out of the slot. From what little that we've seen of him so far he has flashed good YAC and ST return potential. His speed is okay but he's not a go-to guy for the long ball. He just hasn't had enough chances to show what he's capable of doing due to that ankle injury. He seems to have upside.

Abby gets good separation though he's not really a burner. He'll beat a DB consistently with his savvy but not necessarily with his speed. His routed running is fundamentally sound, per McCarthy. He can contribute in the return game. He has upside.

Adams was rated second from the bottom for WRs last season. His YPC for a WR was simply awful in 2015 at less-than 10. He struggled mightily to get separation for most all of last season. He dropped a some passes. At one point last year he was criticized for spending too much time playing video games instead of working on his craft. There have been no reports of him still hurting from last season. He's made a couple of nice catches in the preseason games but that's what WRs are supposed to do, no? He's young and maybe maturity will help with some of what has held him back, though it won't make him run faster and his "speed" was already marginal. He must have been picked because he could bring route-running savvy to the position. We have not seen that on a consistent basis. He does not contribute on STs. For a second round pick he's been a huge disappointment, up to this point.

Considering all three above to be locks or near to it might be just a wee bit optimistic. All have had flaws in their games. Personally, it would not surprise me if any one of these three was injured, traded or cut by the end of preseason or when Janis is eligible to return (I had to throw his name in there to honor the title of this thread). This could especially be the case with Adams. Maybe the Raiders and their QB would show some interest in him. Then again, injuries (yet to happen) could play a significant role in shaping that final roster. So would stellar performances by Davis and Geronimo over the next couple of weeks. Barring injury, Cook, a slimmer R Rodgers, and a steady and dependable Perillo (or Bachman) may have some influence on how many receivers will need to be kept on the roster.

The next couple of weeks will be enjoyable to watch all this being played out. There's always a surprise or two. Maybe it comes from this position group.

D

Deleted member 6794

Montgomery, Adams and Abby have all had trouble staying healthy. Note that Adams' bad 2015 allegedly stemmed from being injured last season according to some posters around here.

In addition, Montgomery has had trouble tracking the long ball every bit as much as Janis does. We witnessed that last preseason and in his shortened regular season. It was also mentioned by scouts in his pre-draft reviews. There's possibly a good reason he plays out of the slot. From what little that we've seen of him so far he has flashed good YAC and ST return potential. His speed is okay but he's not a go-to guy for the long ball. He just hasn't had enough chances to show what he's capable of doing due to that ankle injury. He seems to have upside.

Abby gets good separation though he's not really a burner. He'll beat a DB consistently with his savvy but not necessarily with his speed. His routed running is fundamentally sound, per McCarthy. He can contribute in the return game. He has upside.

Adams was rated second from the bottom for WRs last season. His YPC for a WR was simply awful in 2015 at less-than 10. He struggled mightily to get separation for most all of last season. He dropped a some passes. At one point last year he was criticized for spending too much time playing video games instead of working on his craft. There have been no reports of him still hurting from last season. He's made a couple of nice catches in the preseason games but that's what WRs are supposed to do, no? He's young and maybe maturity will help with some of what has held him back, though it won't make him run faster and his "speed" was already marginal. He must have been picked because he could bring route-running savvy to the position. We have not seen that on a consistent basis. He does not contribute on STs. For a second round pick he's been a huge disappointment, up to this point.

Considering all three above to be locks or near to it might be just a wee bit optimistic. All have had flaws in their games. Personally, it would not surprise me if any one of these three was injured, traded or cut by the end of preseason or when Janis is eligible to return (I had to throw his name in there to honor the title of this thread). This could especially be the case with Adams. Maybe the Raiders and their QB would show some interest in him. Then again, injuries (yet to happen) could play a significant role in shaping that final roster. So would stellar performances by Davis and Geronimo over the next couple of weeks. Barring injury, Cook, a slimmer R Rodgers, and a steady and dependable Perillo (or Bachman) may have some influence on how many receivers will need to be kept on the roster.

The next couple of weeks will be enjoyable to watch all this being played out. There's always a surprise or two. Maybe it comes from this position group.

While it's true that Montgomery, Abbrederis and Adams don't possess blazing speed all of them are capable of running the right route, getting open in the short to intermediate range and catching those balls. None of them
is a deep threat though.

The Packers should have plenty of speed with the return of Nelson as well as the addition of Cook.

Thompson will most likely keep another speedy receiver on the roster in either Janis or Davis but one of them will have to fully grasp the playbook or show the ability to make plays against press coverage to get significant playing time.

I fully expect Montgomery, Abbrederis and Adams to end up on the 53.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If you include Adams and Montgomery, you need to add Nelson and Cobb to the "trouble staying healthy" list. Nelson missed all of last year and Cobb gimped his way through before disappearing in the last playoff game. They both missed a good chunk of 2013 also. [/satire]

That is how much value I place in the "trouble staying healthy" statement for players in their first or second seasons.

EDIT: in hindsight, after seeing all world Rodgers look mortal last season without those two healthy, maybe that was a big reason the QB of the week in 2013 looked so bad.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

in hindsight, after seeing all world Rodgers look mortal last season without those two healthy, maybe that was a big reason the QB of the week in 2013 looked so bad.

While Cobb missed significant time in 2013 Nelson played in every single game that season.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to several reports practice started off on a bad note for Janis though as he ran the wrong route from the Lambeau Field parking lot to Ray Nitschke Field. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Janis has returned to practice today with a club on his broken hand.

That club could come in handy. Couldn't they laminate a cheat sheet of all the routes onto it with little blue arrows pointing Jeff in the right direction? :coffee:

Side note, but since "everything WR" seems to get posted in this thread, the Eagles released Rueben Randle today. I always liked the guy when he is playing well and he is only 25. But, is he a head case and not motivated enough to play with a highly motivate offense and QB like AR?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Side note, but since "everything WR" seems to get posted in this thread, the Eagles released Rueben Randle today. I always liked the guy when he is playing well and he is only 25. But, is he a head case and not motivated enough to play with a highly motivate offense and QB like AR?
Think this is a similar problem that Janis is having...
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...-rueben-randle-judged-wrong-article-1.2665765
"His penchant for seemingly miscommunicating with quarterback Eli Manning led to more than a few interceptions throughout his Giants career, drawing the ire of both the coaching staff and fans."

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That club could come in handy. Couldn't they laminate a cheat sheet of all the routes onto it with little blue arrows pointing Jeff in the right direction? :coffee:

I like lots of guys when they are playing well:D We are so deep at WR that we are going to be cutting someone other teams will be fighting over anyway so why bring in Randle?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like lots of guys when they are playing well:D We are so deep at WR that we are going to be cutting someone other teams will be fighting over anyway so why bring in Randle?

Just threw Randle's name out there, wasn't really advocating signing the guy, unless of course it would benefit the team. I'm also someone who isn't convinced that we are as deep at WR as some want to believe we are. Sure, we have Jordy (if he is healthy and stays that way) and Cobb. Beyond those 2 players, the Packers have a group of young unproven/inconsistent wide receivers, with each guy having a question mark or two. Salary cap issues aside, I would love to see what AR could do with Jordy, Cobb and a top notched 3rd WR. Hopefully, one of the other 4 or 5 guys we have can step up and give AR and the Packers that 3rd weapon. If it doesn't happen this year, I will be pulling for TT to pull the trigger in round #1 next year on a WR.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like our offensive weapons, but this isn't Driver, Jennings, Jones, Jordy, and Cobb. Not by a long shot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like our offensive weapons, but this isn't Driver, Jennings, Jones, Jordy, and Cobb. Not by a long shot.
Hopefully adding Cook and a healthy Jordy will allow the rest of the WR's to shine more then they did last year. But as we all know, a healthy confident Aaron Rodgers has a lot to do with that as well.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully adding Cook and a healthy Jordy will allow the rest of the WR's to shine more then they did last year. But as we all know, a healthy confident Aaron Rodgers has a lot to do with that as well.

I have no doubt that Rodgers will do his job. But I do hope with you that the receivers do shine with the addition of Cook and Nelson coming back from injuries.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All indications on Randle is that he's really really lazy. I really wouldn't want that kind of a player on the roster.

D

Deleted member 6794

Salary cap issues aside, I would love to see what AR could do with Jordy, Cobb and a top notched 3rd WR. Hopefully, one of the other 4 or 5 guys we have can step up and give AR and the Packers that 3rd weapon. If it doesn't happen this year, I will be pulling for TT to pull the trigger in round #1 next year on a WR.

I would love the Packers to have three elite wide receivers as well but it's an unrealistic expectation. Nelson returning from injury and the addition of Cook should result in an improved recwiving corps.

The Packers will have more pressing needs to address in the first round of next year's draft than wide receiver.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers will have more pressing needs to address in the first round of next year's draft than wide receiver.

Im hoping this is the case, because it would mean the current WR group performed well in 2016 and didn't sustain any major injuries effecting 2017. But I would never rule it out this far ahead.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just threw Randle's name out there, wasn't really advocating signing the guy, unless of course it would benefit the team. I'm also someone who isn't convinced that we are as deep at WR as some want to believe we are. Sure, we have Jordy (if he is healthy and stays that way) and Cobb. Beyond those 2 players, the Packers have a group of young unproven/inconsistent wide receivers, with each guy having a question mark or two. Salary cap issues aside, I would love to see what AR could do with Jordy, Cobb and a top notched 3rd WR. Hopefully, one of the other 4 or 5 guys we have can step up and give AR and the Packers that 3rd weapon. If it doesn't happen this year, I will be pulling for TT to pull the trigger in round #1 next year on a WR.

I should have put a smilie face after my last comment too. It was meant as sarcasm for sure. I think I've made it clear in my posts that I'm not in the "we are stacked at WR " group. In fact you and I have been pretty much on the exact same page about this position for quite some time, going all the way back to the James Jones saga last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I should have put a smilie face after my last comment too. It was meant as sarcasm for sure.

I hear ya, we need a sarcasm emoji, I tend to put a :coffee: after my sarcastic comments. Just me smirking behind a cup of coffee saying "oh really, tell me about the time when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor". But even then....sometimes sarcasm is lost for some.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis has returned to practice today with a club on his broken hand.

MM and Zook have both also been looking into whether they can let him play special teams in games with the club.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seems to me that the team values his special teams role enough where they would much prefer to keep him on the 53 even with the injury, rather than release or IR him.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM and Zook have both also been looking into whether they can let him play special teams in games with the club.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it seems to me that the team values his special teams role enough where they would much prefer to keep him on the 53 even with the injury, rather than release or IR him.

I think they're seeing if it's simply possibe for him to be effective in that role with club if someone goes down this week.

Honestly though I don't really see the point. Through him on IR and if no other player gets hurt bring him off of it midseason. I'm at the point that if we're assuming close to 100% health at WR week 1, and we are as long as we get through one more preseason game, I don't really see him making the active game day roster regardless of his STs play.

Assuming they'll activate just 5 WRs on game day:

1: Jordy
2: Cobb
3: Adams
4: Montgomery
5: Abbrederis

I don't see them activating 6 on game day rosters. Montgomery still has some health issues so they could hold him out a week or two to open up a spot but if he's gtg every body just offers so much more in terms of WR ability and allows the Packers more options in what kinds of packages they can run with at least 3 of them having ability as returners that I wouldn't see them limiting that just to have Janis on the active roster with a club on his hand to be a gunner 4 times a game. Honestly assuming 100% health it's a rough go for him just to be on the active roster STs ability or not. Even with an unbroken hand it'd be tough.

He's a prime canidate for IR and it's probably the best thing, both for him and the team, at this point. Stand on the sideline and try and soak everything in from the coaches that he can and hopefully comeback next year with at least an idea of how to run a route. And if we have a guy or two go down we can always bring him back midseason.

I'm just not seeing a reason NOT to place him on IR to start the season unless someone goes down this week

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I will be interested to see how Janis tackles on special teams with one hand in a club. I understand how a D lineman or even a linebacker can play with it, but a gunner or a WR? If you watch some of Janis nice plays on Special teams from last year, he is running so fast he needs both hands to wrap the returner up. If he can't be effective as a gunner, which is the only reason I even thought he would make the team, IR him if he is eligible. Otherwise, I wouldn't be shocked to see him cut.

D

Deleted member 6794

Im hoping this is the case, because it would mean the current WR group performed well in 2016 and didn't sustain any major injuries effecting 2017. But I would never rule it out this far ahead.

Even if the receiving corps has another disappointing season it's likely outside linebacker will be a position in dire need of an upgrade next offseason.

Honestly though I don't really see the point. Through him on IR and if no other player gets hurt bring him off of it midseason. I'm at the point that if we're assuming close to 100% health at WR week 1, and we are as long as we get through one more preseason game, I don't really see him making the active game day roster regardless of his STs play.

Assuming they'll activate just 5 WRs on game day:

1: Jordy
2: Cobb
3: Adams
4: Montgomery
5: Abbrederis

I don't see them activating 6 on game day rosters.

In my opinion you have to consider Janis a special teamer and not a wide receiver when thinking about activating him for a regular season game.

The Packers have used players solely in this phase of the game in the past and most likely would like to with Janis as well.

FYI Janis would have to make the 53 first and then be put on injured reserve to be allowed to return to the roster in the middle of the season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FYI Janis would have to make the 53 first and then be put on injured reserve to be allowed to return to the roster in the middle of the season.

Just a clarification on this. If the Packers would have placed Janis on IR as part of the cut down to 75 he would not have been eligible to return after the minimum 6 weeks? If that is what you are saying I did not know that.

Members online

Latest posts