Defending Janis

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis is just one of about 5 receivers on the Packers that aren't worth much. We have Cobb and Nelson, the rest are inconsistent, undependable receivers that can't get open.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Who are the other four ?

Only guessing, but they may have removed Adams and Montgomery since the Bear game, from the list that also included Davis and Abby? :cool:

But I still agree, despite the Bear game, our WR group needs to get a lot better. If that is through consistency and better play with the current group, so be it. If not, new talent needs to be considered for 2017.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only guessing, but they may have removed Adams and Montgomery since the Bear game, from the list that also included Davis and Abby? :cool:

But I still agree, despite the Bear game, our WR group needs to get a lot better. If that is through consistency and better play with the current group, so be it. If not, new talent needs to be considered for 2017.

Davis is only a raw rookie....too soon to condem him. The problem is with so many WR's, they don't get the playing time to get better. That might change now if MM continues to game plan like the Bears game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Davis is only a raw rookie....too soon to condem him. The problem is with so many WR's, they don't get the playing time to get better. That might change now if MM continues to game plan like the Bears game.

I by no means have given up on Davis. Janis and Abby are nearing the scrap heap though and would have to really step up their games in the coming months to be in GB next year. We don't even see Janis making plays on special teams anymore, which IMO, was the main reason he was on the final 53. Given that both Cobb and Monty are slot receivers, sharing time with have to do there. Adams is starting to show everyone why Rodgers and the Packers like him, but he still needs to keep improving and stay consistent. Cobb is Cobb. Jordy, will always be a really good WR, but he has been slow coming back from his injury and if he will be able to return to being the old Jordy, we can only hope.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that we are a small market team, and we don't just run through FAs and Draft Picks like a frat boy does his marks on homecoming. However, let me remind you this is a WIN NOW League. The time when you let guys sit on the roster for 5 years and hope they eventually get it is over. When Ted Thompson realizes that, we can justify these Super Bowl picks the experts keep lauding on us.

A few hours after that game I watched NFL AM I believe and James Jones was a guest. I was so disgusted, this guy is sitting here without a job, yet Janis continues to have the Get Out of Jail Free Card in his possession. I'm going to be brutally honest, JEFF JANIS WILL NEVER BE ON HIS BEST DAY THE WR JAMES JONES IS ON HIS WORST DAY.

I'm going to start paying more attention to Special Teams now, because honestly when I watch kickoffs and punts I do see Janis in the area, but I think I've seen him actually make 1 Special Teams tackle. In my personal opinion if I have to have a WR making Special Teams plays, then I'm putting a fire underneath my DB coach and D Coordinator.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones is doing TV shows as a guest because he's done as a player. But you know better than every other GM in the league. Lol

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
James Jones is doing TV shows as a guest because he's done as a player. But you know better than every other GM in the league. Lol

I'd hardly call 50 catches for 890 yards and 8 TDs done.

It has nothing to do with his skills, GMs just hate aging WRs and RBs. He's a veteran in MM's system and honestly with the same amount of targets as Janis in the Chicago game Jones probably would have made something to the tune of 50 yards and a TD.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Hey now.....don't Dis my man James! LOL

Honestly though, unless Janis improves with his special teams play, which is what I believe was the main reason we kept him, I would take "over the hill Jones" over him this season. How do you put down a guy that led the Packers in receiving yards last year and had nearly 7 yards more per catch then even the closest guy on the team, Cobb?

I get it James is old and slow and nobody wants him. But Janis isn't exactly lighting up the stats page or special teams with his blazing speed. BTW, Jordy is currently the same age that Jones was at this time last year and with his injury, appears to have lost a step.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see Janis gone in the next year. But there are 32 teams that could use a better receiver somewhere on their roster. None have asked Jones to be that guy. I liked him too, but I would not give him snaps over Jordy, Cobb, Adams, or Montgomery. Behind them should be for youth and development, as it is.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see Janis gone in the next year. But there are 32 teams that could use a better receiver somewhere on their roster. None have asked Jones to be that guy. I liked him too, but I would not give him snaps over Jordy, Cobb, Adams, or Montgomery. Behind them should be for youth and development, as it is.

I agree and I understood why Jones was released and not coveted by many teams, the youth movement. But if I am James Jones, I am staying in shape and keeping by my phone, because a playoff team that suffers an injury to a starting WR and is thin at WR, may be dialing his #. If Jordy or Adams went down in Dec., one of those teams just might be the Packers.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other then Adams, Davis is the only other one I think can beat Man coverage right now.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree and I understood why Jones was released and not coveted by many teams, the youth movement.

I totally agree, but the problem is TT is investing too much into the wrong "youth". Here's what I mean by that:

Jordy - 36th Overall
Cobb - 64th Overall
Adams - 53rd Overall
Montgomery - 94th Overall
(Jones) - 49th Overall

Anybody notice a pattern here? Gotta spend money to make money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Other then Adams, Davis is the only other one I think can beat Man coverage right now.
Agreed and it is something we desperately need Jordy to get back to being able to do, as well as get Cook healthy to possibly start opening thing up a little more with some speed from the TE position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I totally agree, but the problem is TT is investing too much into the wrong "youth". Here's what I mean by that:

Jordy - 36th Overall
Cobb - 64th Overall
Adams - 53rd Overall
(Jones) - 49th Overall

Well.....the Packers are spending a ton of money on both Jordy and Cobb. Adams and Monty are both in rookie contracts. So are you talking about investing higher draft choices at the WR position? Which in itself isn't any guarantee of success either.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jordy - 36th Overall
Cobb - 64th Overall
Adams - 53rd Overall
(Jones) - 49th Overall

Since the 2005 draft TT has had 13 1st-round draft picks... 3 have been on offensive talent (QB & two OT's) and 10 have been on defense. The offense has been the strength of this team for that entire span with the possible exception of the last 18 months.

In that same span TT has had 16 2nd-round picks... 10 have been on offense and 6 were defensive players.

2 of 3 offensive 1st round picks are still on the team and starting (Bulaga & Rodgers).
2 of 10 defensive 1st round picks were significant Packer starters (Hawk & Raji), Hawk still with the Falcons.
6 of 10 defensive 1st rounders are still contributors (CM3, Perry, Jones, Dix, Randall & Clark).

5 of 10 offensive 2nd rounders are still contributors (Jordy, Cobb, Lacy, Adams & Spriggs).
1 of 6 defensive 2nd rounders are still contributors (Rollins), only 2 still in league (Worthy & Hayward).

TT is spending picks/$$ on offense and looks like his "formula" is working pretty well. Average draft position is around 21st so there's rarely a chance at a blue-chip player (Hawk & Raji were only top-10 picks).

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who are the other four ?
Abby, Monty, Nelson, RR,.

I hate including Nelson, but to be honest he hasn't done much lately.
Monty is starting to come around. Did you see some of the still shots they showed of the Packers' receivers? NO ONE WAS OPEN. It ain't AR. The receivers can't get any SEPARATION!!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts