Defending Janis

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a clarification on this. If the Packers would have placed Janis on IR as part of the cut down to 75 he would not have been eligible to return after the minimum 6 weeks? If that is what you are saying I did not know that.
it'd be news to me also

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The following article explains the rules regarding the difference between the PUP (Physically Unable to Perform), the Non-Football Injury (NFI) and IR (Injured Reserve) rules. Sorry, it was written for 9'er fans.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/7/...i-list-rules-and-the-2016-san-francisco-49ers

Another bit of information:

"Starting in 2012, the NFL and the NFLPA reached an agreement allowing one player placed on injured reserve to be brought back to the active roster. Provided that the player was on the final 53-man preseason roster (A rule exempted for the 2012 season), and that the injury is deemed to keep this player unable to practice or play football for an estimated six weeks, the player may be allowed to practice after Week 6, and be activated to play after Week 8.

Teams may also place a player on injured reserve with a minor injury designation, but the team must release the player once he is healthy"

The key thing to remember with a player like Janis, even if he had been eligible for IR (he can practice, so I don't think he is now), would the Packers use their one move to take a player off of IR on him after week 6? The new designated to return rule creates some real strategy for the use of the move. I doubt teams are going to use it on second tiered players prior to say week 12, since if a key player is injured 6-8 weeks before any playoff games, you want to be able to save that move for them.

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Poker.

The article was written for 49ers fans so my 5 year old nephew really got a lot out of it.

I guess that explains why the Cowboys haven't placed Romo on IR yet either. He seems like the perfect candidate if the missing 6-10 weeks prognosis is accurate. Even if he is available after just 6 weeks he would only miss 1 extra game since they have a bye in week seven. Miss the first six weeks on IR, come back to practice for 2 weeks miss the bye and the next game and be ready for week 9. I guess they could also keep him on the active roster and still have him ready for week 9, (maybe even week 8) so it just depends on if they want to take the roster spot or not.

D

Deleted member 6794

The key thing to remember with a player like Janis, even if he had been eligible for IR (he can practice, so I don't think he is now), would the Packers use their one move to take a player off of IR on him after week 6?

The Packers could argue that Janis isn't able to play with a cast on his hand and therefore put him on injured reserve. It's possible Janis would battle to reach an injury settlement allowing him to sign with another team in that case though.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
That club could come in handy. Couldn't they laminate a cheat sheet of all the routes onto it with little blue arrows pointing Jeff in the right direction? :coffee:

Side note, but since "everything WR" seems to get posted in this thread, the Eagles released Rueben Randle today. I always liked the guy when he is playing well and he is only 25. But, is he a head case and not motivated enough to play with a highly motivate offense and QB like AR?

I've been monitoring the direction of the thread and wondered if it isn't becoming a "catch all". ;) I also wonder if it should be ended and a separate thread developed on WRs. But you guys seem to be having so much fun, I don't have the heart to do it. Maybe one of the "senior mods" will.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've been monitoring the direction of the thread and wondered if it isn't becoming a "catch all". ;) I also wonder if it should be ended and a separate thread developed on WRs. But you guys seem to be having so much fun, I don't have the heart to do it. Maybe one of the "senior mods" will.

I realize a lot of us have been running different patterns and not really on the same page or in sync with the OP, yet I think for the most part we have all shined for brief moments, albeit it very brief. If this is enough to keep the thread going for another season, so be it. :coffee:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realize a lot of us have been running different patterns and not really on the same page or in sync with the OP, yet I think for the most part we have all shined for brief moments, albeit it very brief. If this is enough to keep the thread going for another season, so be it. :coffee:
Your potential is HUGE, Pokerbrat, and I have NO DOUBT that you're on the fast track to becoming a Mod this year!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Your potential is HUGE, Pokerbrat, and I have NO DOUBT that you're on the fast track to becoming a Mod this year!
So you're thinking we should go heavy at the MOD position this year? Or are we to trade one? Maybe just keep them and go light at the troll position. We can always pick trolls up if we run short.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So you're thinking we should go heavy at the MOD position this year? Or are we to trade one? Maybe just keep them and go light at the troll position. We can always pick trolls up if we run short.

Have to know where we currently are on the MOD salary cap before those decisions are made, don't we? :coffee: Trolls are cheap, unless you have to pay to get rid of them.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Post of the year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to know where we currently are on the MOD salary cap before those decisions are made, don't we? :coffee: Trolls are cheap, unless you have to pay to get rid of them.

One thing is for sure, whatever trolls we do get rid of other teams boards will be fighting over them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
One thing is for sure, whatever trolls we do get rid of other teams boards will be fighting over them.

Not to get side tracked again from the Janis topic :whistling: but you are right. I have visited quite a few other teams fan boards and I have to say (with bias), we rock! I am really underwhelmed when I go to other sites. So thanks to all those high paid MODS and my fellow posters for making this board so successful by not only being very informational and friendly but fun in the process.....ok....back to Jeff.....

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I wouldn't know about the salary cap. All they keep telling me is "the check is in the mail". Been in the mail a darn long time too! Maybe they are waiting to see if I can follow the right patterns.....

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would trade that pick away for a Pizza and a 6 pack.....rumor has it that guy is whack job!

rumor has it they told him they were going to administer the wonderlic test and he said "I can't do it I'm allergic to gluten":D:D:D

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's been over a month since this thread was last posted to and Janis had the club removed!

Let's go Jeff!

Last edited: