Defending Janis

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you guys crack me up haha. Jeff Janis is not only the biggest wr we have...he's probably top 3 fastest out of the group. ..probably really only behind Davis. He was not only our best gunner but he's actually not a bad kick returner either. Him and Davis will probably take over those duties full time. All this he will be cut hooblah is crazy. Jarrett Bush stuck around forever simply because he was solid as a gunner and nothing else. I know Janis is a far better football player than Bush was.

If I was a betting man I'd say Janis sees a lot more reps at wr than what some of you think he will. He had a good game against the Cardinals secondary...not the the Saints. Cardinals pass defense was top 10. Two of those guys went to the pro bowl.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wont be shocked at all if Janis is starting opposite Jordy this coming season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He certainly deserves to have a long look. If he can keep holding on to the ball and catching it with his hands...

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wont be shocked at all if Janis is starting opposite Jordy this coming season.

Actually neither would I. You get two bigger faster wrs on the outside with those two...and then your quick elusive guy in the slot in Cobb. You make Montgomery your third down back? just to run routes against backers? And then Cook working the seams? 30 pts a game.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He certainly deserves to have a long look. If he can keep holding on to the ball and catching it with his hands...

His hands and concentration looked pretty good on that Hail Mary he caught in Arizona. How about the long pass he caught a couple plays before that.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be very interesting to see what Janis will do this upcoming season. This is his big moment, I hope he steps up and becomes the WR we all hope he can be.

He's also a confirmed special teams beast.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rodell, I agree. He was catching with his hands and with confidence all day long that game. It would be fantastic if he can continue to keep up the concentration.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point Janis looks like he is developing into a pro bowl special teams player. Really anything else at WR could be looked at as a bonus. With his size and speed he should be good for at least a couple of reps per game. The plays he made last season on punt returns shouldn't be underestimated. Field position is huge and he appears to be on the verge of forcing fumbles.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If good size and speed and the ability to make a play or two was all it takes then Cordarell Patterson wouldnt be on the roster bubble for the Vikings. Running good routes and knowing the playback also matter. The ability to run and jump has never been the problem for Janis. The other things have and hopefully the Arizona game was a turning point but Devante Adams had a really nice playoff game too but it did not translate to the next season. The staff obviously didn't fully believe in Janis bc even with injuries he didn't see many reps until we were down our top 4 wrs. I really want Janis to prove me wrong but he really feels like a young hit wonder as a wr. He is great on special teams

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Actually neither would I. You get two bigger faster wrs on the outside with those two...and then your quick elusive guy in the slot in Cobb. You make Montgomery your third down back? just to run routes against backers? And then Cook working the seams? 30 pts a game.

I said it in the other thread and I'll say it here.

It's comments like these that make people seem like haters when they point out just how crazy these comments are saying it wouldn't be shocking for Janis to be the starter opposite Jordy.

Very simply. Yes it would be shocking. Very shocking. Like not a little shocking. But rather a "holy hell the Browns are SB champs" level of shocking

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think Janis will be the starter opposite Nelson, however I'm not really sure who will be. Gotta be between Adams and Montgomery? I don't think it's the craziest idea in the world to suggest Janis could be that third guy. If Adams continues to disappoint, and coaches don't see Montgomery as an outside guy, isn't it possible? Who else wins that spot? Honest question.

It will be interesting to see who wins the battle for third and forth receivers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really care who starts right away. I do think Janis deserves snaps and then we will see if he can pull through. I think it is a sure thing that AR will not be afraid to throw it to him this year.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no way Janis will be starting opposite of Jordy this year, but he will make the team. He will be a force on kick returns and I think he will make great strides on passing downs on offense this year. Definitely nowhere near Pro Bowl caliber, but he will be someone who Rodgers can rely on in a pinch.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's obvious Jeff Janis has the physical tools to be a good WR, I don't think anyone is debating his speed or size. I am also pretty sure if Janis was 5'10" and slow, he wouldn't have made it past year #1. But Janis, much like every other non-starter, is going to have to win the job. I don't think what he did in Arizona did much more then buy him some more time with the coaching staff. If he builds off of that and proves that he has finally learned the aspects of the game that coaches have continually hinted he lacks, then he stands a good shot at being more then just a special teams gunner. But Adams, Abby, Montgomery and Davis will all be afforded that same chance in practices and preseason, may the best players come out on top.

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you guys crack me up haha. Jeff Janis is not only the biggest wr we have...he's probably top 3 fastest out of the group. ..probably really only behind Davis. He was not only our best gunner but he's actually not a bad kick returner either. Him and Davis will probably take over those duties full time. All this he will be cut hooblah is crazy. Jarrett Bush stuck around forever simply because he was solid as a gunner and nothing else. I know Janis is a far better football player than Bush was.

If I was a betting man I'd say Janis sees a lot more reps at wr than what some of you think he will. He had a good game against the Cardinals secondary...not the the Saints. Cardinals pass defense was top 10. Two of those guys went to the pro bowl.

Janis has wonderful athletic gifts. He still needs to learn how to consistently run a pass route, and after three years in the system, that has to be a genuine concern. Much of his success on offense has come on ad-lib plays, and while that's valuable, I don't think you can count on that. I agree his special teams expertise will keep him on the roster, but until he masters route-running, he's not going to be a big part of the offense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Janis picks up where he left off, yes he'll be seeing more playing time. Starter opposite Jordy? I think Jordy, Cobb, Adams (as bad as his year was) and Montgomery all sit ahead of him.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have to realize there's a reason why he lasted until the 7th. The guy from Germany went in the 6th, and he did no better at the pro day than Janis did at the combine and faced inferior competition previously. Not that there is a way to directly compare the two, but my point was that size and speed do not go under the radar like that.

The Arizona game persuaded me once again that he could play, as soon as I almost wrote him off. He looks raw, but so does Adams honestly. The new WR coach has a lot of work to do. It's an embarrassment there was no dedicated coach last year, and their development suffered.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does Janis have potential? Yes, without a doubt.

Is his sample size large enough to make a sure judgement? No, without a doubt.

The man has the ability to go get the ball, reach out and catch the ball...neither is what kept him off the field on offense. He obviously has struggled with capturing the playbook and perhaps some route running...hence why when injuries hit he couldn't even latch on to the field opposite of Adams.

That Cardinals game without a doubt is what controls Janis's future...it has accomplished 1 of 2 things:

-His confidence and knowledge he belongs now exists, because he's shown it on one of the biggest stages...only up from here.

-This snapshot game is just that...it will build the hopes and dreams of fans and possibly the staff into believing he's more than he is.

Personally I think if I were a betting man it's more the former but only if we keep it realistic. I foresee being a #4/#5 WR for years to come (3rd option on the outside) and a Pro Bowl caliber ST gunner....and for the pick we got him at that is MONEY, BIG TIME RETURN.

***Those of you saying Montgomery is going to possibly push him or Adams for play outside........need to wake up. Monty is not an outside guy. He's a slot guy, and appears to be a pretty dang good one. While Monty will compete with Janis and others for a roster spot...they're not competing for the exact same "spot".

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still am not sure why Janis needs a thread defending him. He is probably the player the fan base overrates the most on the team give how little he has accomplished at wr. His measurables are great but he is still incredibly raw. Watch how few of his already small number of catches came on normal routes. Most came on broken player not an actual route. That is the knock on him. Quotes toward the end of the season made it seem like he was finally picking things up so let's hope that is right

Sky King

Reaction score
Janis has wonderful athletic gifts. He still needs to learn how to consistently run a pass route, and after three years in the system, that has to be a genuine concern. Much of his success on offense has come on ad-lib plays, and while that's valuable, I don't think you can count on that. I agree his special teams expertise will keep him on the roster, but until he masters route-running, he's not going to be a big part of the offense.
Three years? This will be his third season upcoming. And let's not forget that for most of his rookie training camp he was down with the shingles. In reality, this year's training camp will only be his second full camp.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Quotes toward the end of the season made it seem like he was finally picking things up so let's hope that is right

Even things McCarthy said after the season leads you to believe there are still questions marks concerning Janis. Maybe not on special teams, but definitely at WR.

"He made the 53 on potential, not on performance.......“Great kid, hard-working, very powerful,” McCarthy said. “But there were just a lot of things, when he does them, they’re for the first time. Hopefully we’re out of that phase of his development. I look for Jeff to take that next step. He made the step in your second year that you look for. He did it first on special teams.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...f-receiver-jeff-janis-can-take-that-next-step

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can guarantee you he will make the 53...I'll put money on that. Who remembers Jordys first two years? Yea i can't remember much either. I'm not saying he's Jordy but no one ever reply could tell how good Jordy would be until he saw more snaps and PT. I even remember him seeing time as a kick returner as well before he really got thrust into the offense being behind Driver, Jennings and Jones.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said it in the other thread and I'll say it here.

It's comments like these that make people seem like haters when they point out just how crazy these comments are saying it wouldn't be shocking for Janis to be the starter opposite Jordy.

Very simply. Yes it would be shocking. Very shocking. Like not a little shocking. But rather a "holy hell the Browns are SB champs" level of shocking

Hyperbole much?

And why would it be shocking? Who else do we have that is a stone cold lock to start opposite Jordy? Nobody. So in other words, that spot is wide open.

Keep in mind, I'm not saying Janis is the second coming or anything, but fact is, that spot opposite Jordy is 100% totally up for grabs and Janis has as good chance as anyone to grab it.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember Jordy's first 2 years. I remember thinking after year 1 that he was going to be really good. Every pass they threw to him he caught and they were always important throws. lots of 3rd down conversions to a rookie WR or TD's. I remember him standing out quite well.