Defending Janis

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In my opinion Abbrederis is a lock to make the team. He probably won't be able to atay healthy playing gunner though.

Agreed....as long as he stays healthy. I truly think he will be our #3 or #4 WR.

The gunner part was tongue and cheek. The one knock on Abby is his ability to stay healthy and even playing him at the return position is a gamble in my eyes. If he does become a WR that sees a lot of action, I would hope that he doesn't play any special teams. Although as a Badger and some as a Packer, he has shown he is an adequate return man, there are guys that are just as capable and more expendable if Abby becomes a contributing WR.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's a draft pick. Ted has been loathe to cut any player drafted higher than 6th in their first year (Davis was taken in the 5th round). Check it out if you don't believe that, but I don't think you'll have to go a lot further than Carl Bradford.

I'm not so sure that doesn't hold true for pretty much every GM in the league. I'm not going to search for it but I'm guessing if a GM thought highly enough of a player to take him before the 6th or 7th round he is not going to let the players first training camp change his mind.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After the first couple of series, Green Bay pulled out Lacy, Starks, Cook, the entire starting O-line, Adams and Montgomery. The obvious reason is there was no need to evaluate those players, they're all guaranteed a roster spot.

Abbrederis, on the other hand, played right up to the very end, meaning no such guarantee in place for him. So, yes, there is a way he could be released. If there was no way, he'd have been relaxing on the sideline after the first quarter with Lacy and company.

They do have to put someone out there at the position. With Nelson, Cobb, Adams and Monty on the bench and Janis with a broken hand it doesn't leave many other options. Perhaps they have made their decisions on all the other WRs (Allison, Binford, Johnson, Waters and Williams) and decided to get Abby some work. I'd rather see that than letting some guy they pretty much already know they are going to cut (I'm betting there is at least 1 of them) take snaps away from him. They may not be evaluating him they may be letting him work on his game a bit. Its not like he is an established veteran who doesn't need the reps.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Abby has been very good when healthy I'm just not sure the coaches trust him to stay healthy; hence the reason they play him more minutes in the preseason, to see if he can avoid injury. Most important ability is availability (one of the most hackneyed sayings out there) and, unfortunately, Abby is really bad at availability. He's one hit to the head away from potentially missing half the season. The same is true of every player but Abby has shown that he's more prone to these things. Question for the coach/GM is, do you take the better player with the knowledge that he might help you in a couple games but then be unavailable for large chunks of the season? Because if the Packers cut a guy, chances are they won't find someone as good on the street if Abby gets hurt.

D

Deleted member 6794

While Abby has been very good when healthy I'm just not sure the coaches trust him to stay healthy; hence the reason they play him more minutes in the preseason, to see if he can avoid injury. Most important ability is availability (one of the most hackneyed sayings out there) and, unfortunately, Abby is really bad at availability. He's one hit to the head away from potentially missing half the season. The same is true of every player but Abby has shown that he's more prone to these things. Question for the coach/GM is, do you take the better player with the knowledge that he might help you in a couple games but then be unavailable for large chunks of the season? Because if the Packers cut a guy, chances are they won't find someone as good on the street if Abby gets hurt.

First of all the Packers can stash some receivers on the practice squad, something they've done in previous years. In addition the team should be able to find guys on a level with Davis, Janis or Allison either on another team's practice squad or on the street.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not sure if this is a good point or the silliest thing I've ever heard "he is injury prone so lets play him more in meaningless games so we can see if he stays healthy" I'm leaning toward the latter. Just because the guy stays healthy during preseason doesn't mean he will later on. If you don't trust a guy to stay healthy you make sure you have a plan in place in case he does get hurt. You don't expose him to more injury risk.

I suppose you could look at it like Nelson coming back from the torn ACL. You don't know if its going to hold up or if he is going to be confident in it so you play him a bit to let him test it out but that is a known injury with specific implications. If its what you are suggesting why rest anyone, why not let them all prove they can stay healthy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They like him, he's had 2 preseason a in which he got no work. They know what he does in practice, and they're giving him reps on the field. I see it as nothing more than that. Montgomery was on the field as a receiver long after Cobb and Adams were on the bench too

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They like him, he's had 2 preseason a in which he got no work. They know what he does in practice, and they're giving him reps on the field. I see it as nothing more than that. Montgomery was on the field as a receiver long after Cobb and Adams were on the bench too

Well you settled it. Montgomery is on the bubble too

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that doesn't hold true for pretty much every GM in the league. I'm not going to search for it but I'm guessing if a GM thought highly enough of a player to take him before the 6th or 7th round he is not going to let the players first training camp change his mind.

Probably right. And that is why I feel Trevor Davis is virtually guaranteed a roster spot, while Abbrederis will have to fight for his. Fair or unfair, that's just how it is.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably right. And that is why I feel Trevor Davis is virtually guaranteed a roster spot, while Abbrederis will have to fight for his. Fair or unfair, that's just how it is.
That may be true but right now I find it hard to believe that Abbrederis won't win the fight. The coaches and Rodgers like him a lot.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last post in this thread. To me it's not about route running or even reads. From what I kept hearing from camp Janis just didn't look natural adjusting to the football, running his routes or catching the ball. He was getting open deep quite a bit, but couldn't seem to catch anything. A guy who looks better on paper than he does on tape. Let's hope he doesn't get a chance to prove himself until next training camp.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That may be true but right now I find it hard to believe that Abbrederis won't win the fight. The coaches and Rodgers like him a lot.

I certainly think he has a good shot of making it, especially with Janis injured. He has a small margin of error, however, and will continue to have to compete for a roster spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

Abbrederis is currently by far the better receiver than Davis and because of it will make the roster. It's possible the rookie ends up on the 53 as well if the Packers decide to keep either six or seven receivers but for sure not instead of the former Badger.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I certainly think he has a good shot of making it, especially with Janis injured. He has a small margin of error, however, and will continue to have to compete for a roster spot.
Abbrederis is one of those naturally instinctive athletes that also learns quickly and well. He also is blessed with plenty enough speed to play in the league. Really, the only knock on him is that he doesn't possess a typically NFL solid frame and as a consequence, may be more prone to injury. Anyone that saw him play a good amount at Wisconsin will tell you he had a wide ranging package of receiving skills. It seemed like the kid was always two steps open. He's got an excellent feel for the game imo. I'd bet that Rodgers agrees.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am surprised there is even a debate about Abby making the roster. He is closer to starting than to getting cut

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers just need to throw Janis the ball. He doesn't need to run perfect routes. With his athleticism he can go up and get the ball just like he did in the playoff game against Az. MM needs to cut Adams and keep Janis. Adams is nothing on special teams and can't separate.
He's a bust. Janis should be the 4th WR.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers just need to throw Janis the ball. He doesn't need to run perfect routes. With his athleticism he can go up and get the ball just like he did in the playoff game against Az. MM needs to cut Adams and keep Janis. Adams is nothing on special teams and can't separate.

I am waiting to disagree until I find out if that post was supposed to be sarcastic.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am waiting to disagree until I find out if that post was supposed to be sarcastic.
Lord I hope that was sarcasm otherwise the Cult of Janis, (just going to start calling it the CoJ to save some time), has taken it to a whole new level

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers passing game is based on receivers running perfect routes. Janis not being able to consistently achieve that results in him not getting significant playing time. In addition he has trouble catching the ball even when being wide open.

There's absolutely no way Janis should and will be the Packers #4 receiver.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a good point or the silliest thing I've ever heard "he is injury prone so lets play him more in meaningless games so we can see if he stays healthy" I'm leaning toward the latter. Just because the guy stays healthy during preseason doesn't mean he will later on. If you don't trust a guy to stay healthy you make sure you have a plan in place in case he does get hurt. You don't expose him to more injury risk.

I suppose you could look at it like Nelson coming back from the torn ACL. You don't know if its going to hold up or if he is going to be confident in it so you play him a bit to let him test it out but that is a known injury with specific implications. If its what you are suggesting why rest anyone, why not let them all prove they can stay healthy.

So you think finding out if a guy can stay healthy is a silly thing? The reason you don't do it with everyone is sort of obvious...how many other players on the team have the injury history of Abby?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all the Packers can stash some receivers on the practice squad, something they've done in previous years. In addition the team should be able to find guys on a level with Davis, Janis or Allison either on another team's practice squad or on the street.

The Packers can only "stash" someone on the practice squad if another team doesn't want to offer the guy a contract and a spot on the 53. Look at some of the receiving corps out there and tell me that some a team like the Ravens wouldn't be willing to take a chance on one of those guys.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers can only "stash" someone on the practice squad if another team doesn't want to offer the guy a contract and a spot on the 53. Look at some of the receiving corps out there and tell me that some a team like the Ravens wouldn't be willing to take a chance on one of those guys.

I know that other teams are allowed to either claim players being released off waivers or sign them from the practice squad. But with limited spots available on the active roster the Packers have to take that risk with some talented guys.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you think finding out if a guy can stay healthy is a silly thing? The reason you don't do it with everyone is sort of obvious...how many other players on the team have the injury history of Abby?

I think the notion that the reason Abby was still in the game was so they could see if he can stay healthy is silly. His ability to play is dependent on him being healthy now and not can he stay healthy in the future. You give guys more reps to help them work back from an injury or to "knock the rust off" or you give them more reps because they simply need them to get up to speed. You don't give them more reps to see if they get injured or not. Its not like McCarthy is going to say "I''d like to put Abby in there, he's a great WR but I'm just not sure if he can stay healthy. I wish I would have given him more reps in the preseason to see if he can stay healthy" If he is healthy and he knows his stuff he will play. Besides, I'm not sure what a player staying healthy through the preseason has to do with whether or not he will stay healthy during the regular season.

Perhaps when considering 2 equal players and deciding which one will make the team and which one will be cut the injury issue factors in but but I don't think a player being able to stay healthy for an extra half a game is going to sway anyone's opinion.

I think the reason Abby was still in the game that late was because we had 5 other WRs already out of the game and he still needs the reps. Its that simple. I don't think it is any indicator of how close he is to making the team or getting cut.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts