Defending Janis

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Abby, Monty, Nelson, RR,.

I hate including Nelson, but to be honest he hasn't done much lately.
Monty is starting to come around. Did you see some of the still shots they showed of the Packers' receivers? NO ONE WAS OPEN. It ain't AR. The receivers can't get any SEPARATION!!

People keep saying "have you seen the still shots of no receivers open" Yes I have seen those, I have also seen a lot of still shots of receivers, sometimes multiple receivers open, so that isn't the only issue.

Last edited:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People keep saying "have you seen the still shots of no receivers open" Yes I have seen those, I have also seen a lot of still shots of receivers, sometimes multiple open, so that isn't the only issue.

I haven't seen the open receiver shots you are talking about, unless you mean after Rodgers is tackled.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.....the Packers are spending a ton of money on both Jordy and Cobb. Adams and Monty are both in rookie contracts. So are you talking about investing higher draft choices at the WR position? Which in itself isn't any guarantee of success either.

By no means is any draft pick a guarantee however, TT can't keep hoarding 5th Round-UDFA WRs and hoping he discovers the next Donald Driver. The playmakers on the outside continue to be guys who go early. Now obviously if they blow up and want starting job/starting money then so be it; the game's a business, and they play elsewhere, but if they get a Super Bowl ring on their way to the next gig(Greg Jennings), the end justifies the means.

There was a time(probably 2005-2007), when just before a game Al Michaels said, "Green Bay has guys on offense who are 3s and 4s on the depth chart, but probably if they played somewhere else would be 1s and 2s."

We need to get back to that.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I haven't seen the open receiver shots you are talking about, unless you mean after Rodgers is tackled.

I will have to find it for you. Right after the Viking game this year there was an overhead breakdown of quiet a few passing plays posted where Rodgers was not seeing guys who were open, in most cases Rodgers chose the wrong target and tried to force the ball to them. Yes, there are plays when nobody is open, but there are many that just the opposite is the case and Rodgers gets into panic happy feet mode and either isn't seeing them or goes to who he think should be open.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will have to find it for you. Right after the Viking game this year there was an overhead breakdown of quiet a few passing plays posted where Rodgers was not seeing guys who were open, in most cases Rodgers chose the wrong target and tried to force the ball to them. Yes, there are plays when nobody is open, but there are many that just the opposite is the case and Rodgers gets into panic happy feet mode and either isn't seeing them or goes to who he think should be open.

Good lord I was about to throw my phone through my TV Thursday night I had the hear Simms talk about how "none of these recievers are getting open" as they showed replays of recievers running free underneath

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Good lord I was about to throw my phone through my TV Thursday night I had the hear Simms talk about how "none of these recievers are getting open" as they showed replays of recievers running free underneath
Yeah he was on full defense of Rodgers mode. Early in the game one time they showed "no one open" and I'm like how much room does God-gers need ?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah he was on full defense of Rodgers mode. Early in the game one time they showed "no one open" and I'm like how much room does God-gers need ?
I told him to **** more than once in the broadcast :) I loved it, he'd go thru how everyone is covered and nowhere to go with the ball and I"m like, look at that number 88 with a step and half cutting underneath with lots of green in front of him. I started to think he was just an illegal lineman downfield or something.

It seemed obvious that the "nobody open" theme was written and given to read during the broadcast. I remember when sportscasters and color commentary actually talked about the game and backstories. Now they just make up stories before hand and must stick to the script because they aren't talented enough to report what's in front of them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind that our receivers at times are not getting open, but if every receiver in the NFL was getting open, on every play, we would be seeing offenses score 70 points every game. There are also many plays where receivers have gotten open and AR just hasn't seen them, has a bad throw or a catchable ball is dropped. So what Phil Simms and others should be looking at is "are Packer receivers getting open comparatively as often as what other teams receivers are?" If not, then we either need better receivers, better coaches or better routes, or a combination of. But if they are getting open as often as most, which at times they are, why is AR not finding them? From what I have observed, its been a combination of all of the above. Our routes are predictable and somewhat stale, guys aren't beating man coverage and AR doesn't seem to be seeing the entire field like the way he once did. Dropped passes and missed throws are normal in the NFL, but right now, I think they are just more frustrating when they occur. When nothing else in the passing game seems to be going right, a ball sailing over someones head or through their hands is the ultimate in frustration.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no doubt in my mind that our receivers at times are not getting open,
And yet one of Cobb, Monty, Adams were open enough on over half the drop backs plus the times more than one was open plus the times the pass was dropped or throw missed to one of them. That doesn't include the handful of times Jordy was probably open plus Janis and the other RBs.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd hardly call 50 catches for 890 yards and 8 TDs done.

It has nothing to do with his skills, GMs just hate aging WRs and RBs. He's a veteran in MM's system and honestly with the same amount of targets as Janis in the Chicago game Jones probably would have made something to the tune of 50 yards and a TD.

Jones struggled for most of the second half of last season and had troubles getting open though. In my opinion it was the right decision to let him walk.

I totally agree, but the problem is TT is investing too much into the wrong "youth". Here's what I mean by that:

Jordy - 36th Overall
Cobb - 64th Overall
Adams - 53rd Overall
Montgomery - 94th Overall

Anybody notice a pattern here? Gotta spend money to make money.

The Packers currently have four receivers drafted either in the second or third round on the roster. Thompson has invested enough early picks on the position.

By no means is any draft pick a guarantee however, TT can't keep hoarding 5th Round-UDFA WRs and hoping he discovers the next Donald Driver.

The Packers starting receivers all were drafted in the second round.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
"Hello Jeff, what have you done for us lately? Your Special Teams play has been far short of Special, your 9 catches for 78 yards and an 8.7 yard average is insignificant. Where will you be spending the off season Jeff?"

Hopefully not in Green Bay.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Hello Jeff, what have you done for us lately? Your Special Teams play has been far short of Special, your 9 catches for 78 yards and an 8.7 yard average is insignificant. Where will you be spending the off season Jeff?"

But he's Jeff Janis. He caught two hail Marys in one game (why did Al Bundy come to mind when I typed that?) I thought he was the savior. :coffee:

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But he's Jeff Janis. He caught two hail Marys in one game (why did All Bundy come to mind when I typed that?) I thought he was the savior. :coffee:

Did you mean Al Bundy or Ted Bundy? I honestly think of Barney Fife (Don Knotts) when I picture Janis.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

I fully expect Janis to be on the Packers roster next offseason getting fans excited with catches against the team's oh-so great backup cornerbacks. With his special teams play having declined significantly (what was he thinking on the kickoff on Sunday???) he won't make the 53 though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This comment by Zook when talking about Janis and his multiple Special Teams blunders on Sunday has been the ongoing mantra about Jeff. Just when will a 3rd year player learn?

“We’ve got to learn from those things,” Zook said. “You can’t let those things happen.”

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By no means is any draft pick a guarantee however, TT can't keep hoarding 5th Round-UDFA WRs and hoping he discovers the next Donald Driver. The playmakers on the outside continue to be guys who go early. Now obviously if they blow up and want starting job/starting money then so be it; the game's a business, and they play elsewhere, but if they get a Super Bowl ring on their way to the next gig(Greg Jennings), the end justifies the means.

There was a time(probably 2005-2007), when just before a game Al Michaels said, "Green Bay has guys on offense who are 3s and 4s on the depth chart, but probably if they played somewhere else would be 1s and 2s."

We need to get back to that.

According to a lot of fans we had that before last season. Funny thing is its the same guys we had last season and this season. I wonder what happened to them.

Reaction score
According to a lot of fans we had that before last season. Funny thing is its the same guys we had last season and this season. I wonder what happened to them.
Well it's now clear that Jordy being off for a full season plus an ACL surgery has affected his game markedly (which isn't surprising)
However with Clay Matthews? it's like he's been neutralized. He should've had 15 sacks 4 FF and 1-2 INT this year. He'll be lucky to achieve half that.
Take away Jordy, Clay and Shields and garnish it with an aging Pepper...we are mediocre in talent.
Next year, through a trade or FA we will need to pick up an experienced Corner as Sam Shields successor and pick another CB 1st/2nd day draft, then replace Julius and possibly Add a versatile RB

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Scantling out at least 3 weeks. Bring back Jeff Janis immediately!!!

Jk.... got into the spirit reading the Clay Matthews thread. :)

Members online

Latest posts