David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously Bakhtiari is a elite/blue chip player when he's on the field. Even against Detroit last season he showed that. Hopefully he can stay on the field. I think he can and if he does that makes this offense SB caliber by the time the playoffs cone around. Him, Jenkins, and development by the young wrs

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So once Bakhtiari gets settled in...what happens with Nijman?

I'd say the three options are Nijman replaces Newman at right guard, Jenkins moves to right guard and Nijman starts at right tackle, or Runyan moves to right guard and Nojman replaces him at left guard.

I guess Id be in favor of Jenkins to right guard and Nijman starts at right tackle. I think thats their best group. Nijman stays at tackle albiet right. Jenkins is back at his original position and runyan, bakh, and meyers stay where they were

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So once Bakhtiari gets settled in...what happens with Nijman?

I'd say the three options are Nijman replaces Newman at right guard, Jenkins moves to right guard and Nijman starts at right tackle, or Runyan moves to right guard and Nojman replaces him at left guard.

I guess Id be in favor of Jenkins to right guard and Nijman starts at right tackle. I think thats their best group. Nijman stays at tackle albiet right. Jenkins is back at his original position and runyan, bakh, and meyers stay where they were

Yosh is a tackle. He will play either end of the line but I'd bet serious money will never play guard barring injuries.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So as critical as I've been on Newman - when I isolate my eyes and only watching him when reviewing game film, he isn't doing as bad as I guess I hoped from a biasness towards truly believing Tom is our 3rd best guard on the entire team (Jenkins and JRJ before him).

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Long term, Jenkins will be an OT. He's too talented not to be, plus he wants to make tackle money. The Packers risk Jenkins leaving after his rookie contract if he doesn't get signed for tackle money because some other GM will pay him that. That situation may play into whether he stays at OT.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree the Packers would have their five best offensive linemen on the field that way.

I thought he did play at guard before

Nijman hasn't played at guard either in the NFL or in college.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I hate to see him go. He's a great guy and a great Packer. But two years and three surgeries on the same knee? No I would not sign him and neither will anyone else to that contract. I mean it's gotten to the point that he's not even a reliable part-time player. It's a shame. Some injuries ruin a season, some a career. All the best to a great guy. Hope he keeps attending Bucks' games. Wisconsin sports fans love him.

Reaction score
I hate to see him go. He's a great guy and a great Packer. But two years and three surgeries on the same knee? No I would not sign him and neither will anyone else to that contract. I mean it's gotten to the point that he's not even a reliable part-time player. It's a shame. Some injuries ruin a season, some a career. All the best to a great guy. Hope he keeps attending Bucks' games. Wisconsin sports fans love him.
Well said

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s gone. Could resign for less but the guaranteed money is gone.
Agree. And there's no point in resigning him, even for less, if he is constantly game-to-game as far as availability. Maybe Caleb Jones steps in or they draft an OT early. Injuries happen, but whatever Gluten has to do, they need a consistent group on the OL.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the uncertainty of his health, AND the 68 million cap hit for Rodgers which you know he's gonna make the team eat they have to cut Bakhtiari and save the money

The way it looks to me Bakhtiari has a cap hit of about 29 million in 2023 and a dead cap number of about 23 million. Saving 6 million doesn't seem worth it considering he's still one of the best at his position.

Now if they release him prior to the 2024 season. Something I think is far more likely, his dead cap is only 11 million and his cap number is 32 million. 21 million in savings

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The way it looks to me Bakhtiari has a cap hit of about 29 million in 2023 and a dead cap number of about 23 million. Saving 6 million doesn't seem worth it considering he's still one of the best at his position.
Whatever they decide, they should do it prior to the 3rd league day of 2023. Otherwise, his current contract calls for a $9.5M roster bonus due on that day.

If his knee is fine, I think they keep him at least 1 more season. I could see a favorable restructure, one that keeps Bahk in GB for a long time and eliminates that bonus and/or reduces his salary to make it amenable to both sides.

D

Deleted member 6794

I mean it's gotten to the point that he's not even a reliable part-time player. It's a shame. Some injuries ruin a season, some a career. All the best to a great guy. Hope he keeps attending Bucks' games. Wisconsin sports fans love him.

Bakhtiari has been able to play the majority of the snaps in the past four games and has performed very well during that span. If he doesn't suffer another setback the Packers should hold on to him on a restructured deal.

With the uncertainty of his health, AND the 68 million cap hit for Rodgers which you know he's gonna make the team eat they have to cut Bakhtiari and save the money

Rodgers has a cap hit of $31.6 million for next season.

I agree but hope the Packers are able to restrucutre Bakhtiari's deal to lower the cap hit for next season.

As long as Rodgers is there, Bakh isn't going anywhere.

A lot of fans thought that way about Adams as well.

Members online

Latest posts