David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as Rodgers is there, Bakh isn't going anywhere.
With all respect JK, I don't agree. Bakh was out all of last year and Rodgers won his 4th MVP and the Packers earned the #1 seed. Bakh has been a shadow of himself this season, but they can play without him. He's due $39 mil if they bring him back next year. I just don't see it happening, even if they reworked his contract. They can use the money elsewhere, and much as I love the guy, his career is over.

Now maybe Rodgers doesn't come back anyway, but with all that money sitting there, he'll be back.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever they decide, they should do it prior to the 3rd league day of 2023. Otherwise, his current contract calls for a $9.5M roster bonus due on that day.

If his knee is fine, I think they keep him at least 1 more season. I could see a favorable restructure, one that keeps Bahk in GB for a long time and eliminates that bonus and/or reduces his salary to make it amenable to both sides.
Yeh Poker a restructure would make sense, but only if Bakh can prove he'll be an everyday player. As good as he is, the OL needs consistency.

Having him every other week won't work IMO. I think he's a great player, a great guy. I hope he can come back. But you're right, if that happens the deal has to be restructured, and before the 3rd league day of 2023. Just don't see it happening.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not true at all with Bakh staying - he is not what he was and the org has to do what is in the best interest of winning in the future. Bakh is as good as gone.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not true at all with Bakh staying - he is not what he was and the org has to do what is in the best interest of winning in the future. Bakh is as good as gone.
Unfortunately I agree. At best, he would be an expensive and unreliable backup. I don't think anyone wants that.

And the Packers will have $39 mil in savings on his contract. Not sure about the cap impact. Use a first round pick on an OT next year, ideally LT. I don't know what the draft candidates look like. The Packers have had a ton of success drafting and developing O linemen.

I just hate to see Bakhtiari go.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bakh has been a shadow of himself this season, but they can play without him. He's due $39 mil if they bring him back next year.

Have you actually watched the last gew games? The offensive line is much improved in part thanks to Bakhtiari being able to play the majority of snaps.

As a side note, he's not due $39 million next season but set to earn $17.5 million in 2023. While I would like the Packers to restructure his deal to reduce his cap hit and make some of that money based on incentives they don't gain a lot of cap space by moving on from him.

I advice you to watch Bakhtiari play. He's still an elite left tackle when healthy.

Unfortunately I agree. At best, he would be an expensive and unreliable backup.

I just don't understand how any Packers fan can come up with a statement like that.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Captain Wimm.Bakh has been playing very very well and is the key reason why the line is playing better lately. Just watch the guy play. He's a master technician.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Captain Wimm.Bakh has been playing very very well and is the key reason why the line is playing better lately. Just watch the guy play. He's a master technician.
Will he start on Sunday night? If he starts will he play the entire game? He's been a great, great LT. Still is. He can't be counted on.

Would you keep any starter in such a situation? If your answer is yes, that's fine. Then keep him. I wouldn't and that's my opinion, and a few others. But we can certainly agree to disagree on this.

At any rate, we'll see if he's back next year. I just don't think so.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Will he start on Sunday night? If he starts will he play the entire game? He's been a great, great LT. Still is. He can't be counted on.
He has actually played quite a bit more than even I thought.

@​
TAM
35​
56.5%​
NWE
70​
95.9%​
NYG
25​
39.7%​
NYJ
69​
94.5%​
@​
BUF
66​
100.0%​
@​
DET
42​
56.8%​
DAL
64​
100.0%​
TEN
61​
100.0%​

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has actually played quite a bit more than even I thought.

@​
TAM
35​
56.5%​
NWE
70​
95.9%​
NYG
25​
39.7%​
NYJ
69​
94.5%​
@​
BUF
66​
100.0%​
@​
DET
42​
56.8%​
DAL
64​
100.0%​
TEN
61​
100.0%​
Interesting, thanks Poker. I'm surprised too. He's played a lot in 8 games out of 11. It seemed to me like he was taking every other week off.

Well I can be persuaded if he is more reliable, and the last five games suggest he's moving in that direction. There's no doubt that before his injury, he was arguably the best LT in football and still has a lot to offer when he can get on the field.

Thanks again for the info. It's encouraging. If he does stay, his contract should probably be reworked, in fairness. It's a lot of money and shouldn't be paid if he's on the bench. These numbers suggest that may not be a problem.

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks Poker. I'm surprised too. He's played a lot in 8 games out of 11. It seemed to me like he was taking every other week off.

Well I can be persuaded if he is more reliable, and the last five games suggest he's moving in that direction. There's no doubt that before his injury, he was arguably the best LT in football and still has a lot to offer when he can get on the field.

Thanks again for the info. It's encouraging. If he does stay, his contract should probably be reworked, in fairness. It's a lot of money and shouldn't be paid if he's on the bench. These numbers suggest that may not be a problem.
I like the idea of a rework and tied to his availability. That's fair for both parties

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the idea of a rework and tied to his availability. That's fair for both parties
We'll just have to wait and see. It will be another interesting off season. There's always the chance that Bakhtiari gets sick of it all and just retires. I think he's 31. That's getting up there for a football player, especially one who has a chronic knee injury. Gluten will be a busy guy.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see and understand your points Joe but as long as he can play and play as well as he does I'm willing to string it out. I don't think we'll have any real definitive answers until after the season during the off season

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless there's a strong chance of releasing him I doubt management asks Bakhtiari to restructure his deal. What's his incentive for possibly giving up $$? He's a 31 year old newlywed with a baby on the way. He worked has butt off to make it back, doubt he is looking to retire any time soon.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of reasons people do things, but I do get tired of seeing variations of 'he needs to take care of his family' for a guy who has been paid $105 million, including 13.5 million for sitting out 2021.Over the Cap

Reaction score
Unless there's a strong chance of releasing him I doubt management asks Bakhtiari to restructure his deal. What's his incentive for possibly giving up $$? He's a 31 year old newlywed with a baby on the way. He worked has butt off to make it back, doubt he is looking to retire any time soon.
You are probably correct if we were only talking the 2023 season. However, GB stands to gain 21.5M space if they release him prior to the 2024 season. There is a reasonable chance we send him packing and just walk away. From Bakhtiari side, He'll then be 33 years old. Also he has ongoing injury concerns and mileage concerns. GB could offer him a contract that both parties know has him locked through 2024. That contract would have some per game incentives though to alleviate his financial impact if he doesn't play.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see and understand your points Joe but as long as he can play and play as well as he does I'm willing to string it out. I don't think we'll have any real definitive answers until after the season during the off season
I agree with you Packer. When Poker sent that chart that showed how much Bakh has played on the last 5 games I admit I was surprised. He's taken a helluva lot of snaps. Certainly the OL is much better when he plays, even it it's not 100%. So nothing would make me happier than if he stayed healthy and stayed with the team.

I think there will be a lot of soul searching this off season and Bakh is just one part of it. I still have faith that the skill players are on the team. They just need to work together, and the coaching needs to change, certainly the DC.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of reasons people do things, but I do get tired of seeing variations of 'he needs to take care of his family' for a guy who has been paid $105 million, including 13.5 million for sitting out 2021.Over the Cap
Yeah I mean that's a good reality check. There are a lot of 31 year old guys with a baby on the way who are really struggling to make it. A guy that's been paid over $100 million isn't one of them.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until I saw the chart from Poker I hadn't realized how much Bakh has played the last 5 weeks. He can't do that on a swollen knee, not possible. So maybe he is on the other side of this injury. That would make everyone happy. And if he can return to regular play, then he won't have an incentive to restructure.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers could save up to $13 million in cap space by converting the majority of Bakhtiari's base salary as well as his roster bonus into a signing bonus for next season without him losing any money.

He might even be inclined to agree to an incentive-laden restructure as there isn't any guaranteed money left on his deal and he definitely wouldn't be offered a similiar contract in free agency.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this Bahktiari crap from some posters is retarded, he has made a HUGE difference in the OL play when he's played. That's just objective honestly not opinion

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts