David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

Reaction score
I think Bahk is done unfortunately....

Hasn't seriously played in like 2 years... on the wrong side of 30 for a high impact position in the NFL... I think he's done, but what do you do with him with his contract? lol
Well from what I’m seeing, at best we save $5.9M by cutting him.
He’ll have to play a substantial amount this season (and finish healthy) to give us any realistic chance of gaining the confidence we’d need to keep him. I think his best chance is getting onto that field with a 1/2 + season of good performance to prove he’s reliable. In any case his age and injury history are catching up with him, his future potential money is sinking with each game he misses and he’s at a pivotal point of his career. I’m not sure he can get out of his nosedive? as his altitude is dangerously low.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No sense to keep Bakhtiari on the 53 if he can't recover from a practice. His spot could be taken by somebody who can play a few snaps. Sending him to the IR and cutting him in March is the "best" of a lot of even worse options.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No sense to keep Bakhtiari on the 53 if he can't recover from a practice. His spot could be taken by somebody who can play a few snaps. Sending him to the IR and cutting him in March is the "best" of a lot of even worse options.
I disagree. If it's obvious he's done, done, then yes. But i'm guessing it's not obvious to them. and with as little as we know, we're just guessing. i've seen guys suffer for 2 years post surgery with swelling and soreness and lack of ROM and suddenly, it stops. My own brother had a labrum tear in his pitching arm. Had to basically quit baseball his Junior year of college because he couldn't make it back to the rotation, heck he couldn't even play catch lightly without problems. Rehab went for crap. After he graduated he started feeling better and then played a number of years of some pretty competitive baseball again. Not that he was every a threat to play in the pro's, but the fact he could pitch well again for a number of years when prior he couldn't even get proper layback in his pitching motion or throw at 50% without weeks of pain and swelling was surprising.

So, you keep a guy like BakhT around because he is better than anybody else when he can play. There are plenty of developmental guys on that line right now and on the PS. Right now maybe he is getting back into playing shape. Maybe the guys treating him are learning to manage the injury better and by the time December football rolls around they believe that can manage it through the playoffs. Maybe Nijman is playing well enough by then David only has to be his back up.

But until it is obvious to them that there is zero chance he sees the field ever again, there is no sense in cutting him now. Not philosophically, not financially and not practically.
What that looks like before the start of next years season? Well that is different. I think BakhT has a long hill to climb to make this roster next year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Think it was mike trick last night may have let a slip?
Said he is a week or 2 away . Then few secs later said well they been saying that for a year

Reaction score
Said he is a week or 2 away . Then few secs later said well they been saying that for a year
I still think they are extra slow rolling him. He had several setbacks and I think we know the next setback is a career setback (at least in GB).
We played without him for an entire season and Won 13 games, so our entire season is not predicated on him suiting up.
I think if he comes back by mid-season and maybe plays a half game to ease him in Full-Time. I’m still holding hope that he plays this season and we are kinda planning on a mid season comeback.
Think 1968 Elvis Comeback Tour! Right before the part where he gets fat and.. ok I’ll stop

The whole practicing every other day speaks to a very gradual ramping up. If we see him full practice all week that’ll be the first sign at him being suited up.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've read a few things over the past few days but ease my concern a bit also. That this is all part of a new plan / schedule and that there was never any intention of him playing against the Bears

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
We can only hope that means they've been circling Tampa on the calendar the whole time.

D

Deleted member 6794

We played without him for an entire season and Won 13 games, so our entire season is not predicated on him suiting up.

The Packers had significantly more talent at the skill positions on last year's team though.

I've read a few things over the past few days but ease my concern a bit also. That this is all part of a new plan / schedule and that there was never any intention of him playing against the Bears

I don't put any stock into any of these reports anymore. At first, Bakhtiari should have been ready to practice at the start of the offseason program, then there was hope he would be healthy enough to participate in camp, then it was week 1 and now it's some weeks down the road. I'm not optimistic about him being able to return as long as it actually happens anymore.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the fear that Bakh isn't going to be available to play at some point. Do some people honestly think the team is keeping him on active roster as some kind of soap opera drama move? If the team didn't think he was going to be able to play, and play soon, he'd be on IR or PUP.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the fear that Bakh isn't going to be available to play at some point. Do some people honestly think the team is keeping him on active roster as some kind of soap opera drama move? If the team didn't think he was going to be able to play, and play soon, he'd be on IR or PUP.

Not at all, I think they are leaving him on the roster because when healthy he is literally a top shelf LT still in the game and is a guy we have a TON of guaranteed money roped in to. That is nearly impossible to just walk away from IF there is a chance...albeit one that keeps getting smaller and smaller the longer this goes.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not at all, I think they are leaving him on the roster because when healthy he is literally a top shelf LT still in the game and is a guy we have a TON of guaranteed money roped in to. That is nearly impossible to just walk away from IF there is a chance...albeit one that keeps getting smaller and smaller the longer this goes.

Yes, and if he was NOT going to play this season then they would have him on IR. If he was not going to play for a while, then they would have him on short-term IR. Since he's on neither, it only makes sense that the team expects him to be able to play relatively soon.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, and if he was NOT going to play this season then they would have him on IR. If he was not going to play for a while, then they would have him on short-term IR. Since he's on neither, it only makes sense that the team expects him to be able to play relatively soon.

We passed relatively soon a while ago honestly. I do think the team feels he will be able to play by week 6 at this point....but I'd almost be willing to lay a bet he doesn't at this point. I hope I'm wrong and I hope he is great once back...

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Very well put. It's a long, long season. It's only September. People need to take large quantities of chill pills. He's going to need significant time to get in game shape as well. I wouldn't expect a pro bowl type season from Bakhtiari this year. Maybe next year if he holds up physically.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very well put. It's a long, long season. It's only September. People need to take large quantities of chill pills. He's going to need significant time to get in game shape as well. I wouldn't expect a pro bowl type season from Bakhtiari this year. Maybe next year if he holds up physically.

This year was next year just for the record :)

It is true until we see an IR designation by him there is hope, and we all know even an 85% Bakh is on par or better than Yosh at LT (although Yosh seems to narrow this gap more with each game)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he gets past this and plays healthy? I see it this year. He stepped right into that Lions game last year and made it all look easy again. That's going from preseason form to competing against Season tested pro's and he looked like the latter, not the former. I think he'll be a pretty high level once he returns if everything stays healthy.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he gets past this and plays healthy? I see it this year. He stepped right into that Lions game last year and made it all look easy again.

This is still why I have so much hope. Just rolled into Detroit with limit practice and obviously wasn't 100%....and he still looked good when he played and made it look easy. Even much better than Jenkins in pass protection.

This is not to say Jenkins is a bad player or a bad tackle, but so much of his play looks deliberate and violent. Good things in the running game to be sure, but Bhak is just so damn fluid. It really looks like he doesn't have to try in pass sets. Almost like he teleports in the way.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is still why I have so much hope. Just rolled into Detroit with limit practice and obviously wasn't 100%....and he still looked good when he played and made it look easy. Even much better than Jenkins in pass protection.

This is not to say Jenkins is a bad player or a bad tackle, but so much of his play looks deliberate and violent. Good things in the running game to be sure, but Bhak is just so damn fluid. It really looks like he doesn't have to try in pass sets. Almost like he teleports in the way.
For Pass Blocking/Protection, you are correct.

That's why the term "dancing bear" and pass block finesse, nimbleness, etc. is used for great pass blocking tackles. But how much of that can be sustained long term if his ACL is never going to be fully right again?

It's definitely a combo of talent, potential, hard work, dedication, improvements, etc. that got David to be where he is at as the Top, or Top 3 Pass blocking Tackle in the NFL. But how much longer could/can he sustain that, and for a 17 game season(?)+, if his ACL is never going to be the same...?

Reaction score
The Packers had significantly more talent at the skill positions on last year's team though.
Yes.
On the flip side. The Packers brought substantial talent back in the fold on Defense. Welcome back J’aire, welcome aboard Reed, Welcome Aboard Walker. Welcome an improved ST unit with a Punter who this far has shown worthy at holding a ball properly.

Also that Tampa Offense without Evans (suspension) or Gronk (retired) and several others in Tampa playing dinged up (similar to our Lazard) It’s actually a recipe for a home upset. Boy did we catch them at the right time huh??

Tampa better be able to snuff out our Running game to <4 per or it’s going to be a long day.
We are not the Kamara less Saints, led by the INT prone Winston and there would be no greater inspiration than us Underdogs going down to Florida and handing them their first loss. How embarrassing would that be

Last edited:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. But how much longer could/can he sustain that, and for a 17 game season(?)+, if his ACL is never going to be the same...?

A potentially important or meaningless distinction, and one that we probably won't know the answer to until he retires, whenever that is...the ACL is reported to be a-okay fine. Great success. It's the other stuff related to his knee that had problems.

Does that make it better or worse? That's the part we don't/won't/can't know until he's actually done and writes his autobiography.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't understand the fear that Bakh isn't going to be available to play at some point.

Well, in my opinion the fear is justified considering Bakhtiari isn't able to play nearly two years after tearing his ACL.

Yes, and if he was NOT going to play this season then they would have him on IR. If he was not going to play for a while, then they would have him on short-term IR.

There's no short-term IR. Every player being put on injured reserve can be activated after four weeks.

We passed relatively soon a while ago honestly. I do think the team feels he will be able to play by week 6 at this point....but I'd almost be willing to lay a bet he doesn't at this point. I hope I'm wrong and I hope he is great once back...

If that's true the Packers should put Bakhtiari on injured reserve.

On the flip side. The Packers brought substantial talent back in the fold on Defense. Welcome back J’aire, welcome aboard Reed, Welcome Aboard Walker. Welcome an improved ST unit with a Punter who this far has shown worthy at holding a ball properly.

You're right the defense and special teams should be improved over last season. I don't expect them to win 13 games as long as the offensive line doesn't dramatically improve in pass protection compared to the first two games though.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, in my opinion the fear is justified considering Bakhtiari isn't able to play nearly two years after tearing his ACL.

There's no short-term IR. Every player being put on injured reserve can be activated after four weeks.

If that's true the Packers should put Bakhtiari on injured reserve.

You're right the defense and special teams should be improved over last season. I don't expect them to win 13 games as long as the offensive line doesn't dramatically improve in pass protection compared to the first two games though.

Agreed about the IR situation. How the Packers are handling not putting him on IR tells me 1 of 2 things. Either 1. they really DO think he's close to returning to the field and have full faith he'll play soon or 2. they grossly mismanaged the roster situation by taking away a spot from someone that actually could help the team if they had doubts he'd play in the first 4 weeks.

Members online

Latest posts