David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction. By mid season he gives up The Ghost and retires. It's over 20 months and the guy can't practice?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's not ready now, he's likely done. They'll keep him around until the end of the year simply because the small chance he can play some is probably far more valuable than 99% of the other guys that could take his roster spot. When the money games come around he could be a potential guy we know can play, but also know he won't last multiple weeks. I'm sure he wants to play and GB wants to get some use out of him. There is no gain to cutting him or retiring now. He's getting his money anyway.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he's not ready now, he's likely done. They'll keep him around until the end of the year simply because the small chance he can play some is probably far more valuable than 99% of the other guys that could take his roster spot. When the money games come around he could be a potential guy we know can play, but also know he won't last multiple weeks. I'm sure he wants to play and GB wants to get some use out of him. There is no gain to cutting him or retiring now. He's getting his money anyway.
Well said, I agree. His '22 salary, roster bonus & all money for the year is guaranteed so they might as well let him try to come back. GB can save $5Mil on the cap if he retires or gets cut prior to day 3 of the new league year (mid March) so he'll be around for a while, yet.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
When he's in a situation where he can only practice every other day it is an issue. They are trying to put a positive spin on it, but we all know that it's being done because that knee is shot.

D

Deleted member 6794

Another reason the Packers will keep Bakhtiari around is that they can't afford to move on from him at this point because of implications on the cap.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at the video, he seems to be limping on his right leg. Didn't he injure his left leg? (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

This really could be a case of him needing to play himself back into shape.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't want false hope, but I think the doom and gloom train is a little ahead of reality. Could they be right? Of course! However, I think the "it's been 20 months" line lacks nuance.

The ACL, as far as we know, went fine. Bhak has then had 2 (or 3?) follow procedures for the same knee, but it wasn't on the ACL. Should we be happy that he's needed those follow up procedures? Pretty sure no. Are they good news? Also no.

What those follow ups do, in my mind is reset the clock. Depending on when the most recent work was done (and what that work was, we do not know) he might be on a perfectly normal recovery timeline.

In my head, I equate these secondary acts like technical troubleshooting. The Doctors fixed the ACL and now we've found a new problem. Fix that one and another pops up. There is value in a new, different error message. (Please tell me someone else works in IT/software.)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
(Please tell me someone else works in IT/software.)
We try to screen out the nerds in the enrollment process these days. :p

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

but your point is valid. I repair industrial equipment and after the installation and service support dweebs leave, it is up to me and my cohorts to actually get the equipment functioning properly. The punch list can seem to take forever sometimes. Nothing like a line down for 10s of $k's per hour with zero training [scheduled for day shift next week] to figure out where a machine is broken.

Reaction score
We try to screen out the nerds in the enrollment process these days. :p

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

but your point is valid. I repair industrial equipment and after the installation and service support dweebs leave, it is up to me and my cohorts to actually get the equipment functioning properly. The punch list can seem to take forever sometimes. Nothing like a line down for 10s of $k's per hour with zero training [scheduled for day shift next week] to figure out where a machine is broken.
Can’t we just reformat his hard drive?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can’t we just reformat his hard drive?

It Bhak was a Windows player, that might work. If not, reboot something else.

If he's a Mac player, we have to replace the whole player. I don't think Gute remembered to buy AppleCare.

If he's a Linux player, we can fix him, but I'm going to need one hell of a build machine. And what's the current best practice on gcc flags for a left tackle? I usually let the complier pick them, but for LT, I really want to optimize for my multi-core machine. And why does the make file depend on lib-tiff? Probably the extra stripes on the jersey...

Reaction score
It Bhak was a Windows player, that might work. If not, reboot something else.

If he's a Mac player, we have to replace the whole player. I don't think Gute remembered to buy AppleCare.

If he's a Linux player, we can fix him, but I'm going to need one hell of a build machine. And what's the current best practice on gcc flags for a left tackle? I usually let the complier pick them, but for LT, I really want to optimize for my multi-core machine. And why does the make file depend on lib-tiff? Probably the extra stripes on the jersey...
I see.
If he’s Windows. Can we partition his hard drive and dual boot that Linux OS? I know it’s not ideal, but we Just need to get another year out of him? Lol

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have they ever released what exactly happened to the knee? Apart from the ACL, I heard there was more that occurred, but I don't remember seeing a report about it. I remember him saying that after returning against Detroit it swelled again leading to them shutting him down, I suspect it's ongoing swelling that's the issue and if that's the case it's definitely not good for his future playing any sort of football if almost two years in and it's not improving.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he’s not playing because they’re just being cautious and have a week 3 or for return as the plan all along, cool.

If he’s still experiencing swelling and things that are keeping him from being “ready” then I think the writing is in the wall.

Without knowing many details it’s hard to really say. Unless they just miscalculated how ready some other Olimemen were to fill in, I have to believe they would have used him week 1 if he were able and not be so cautious.

D

Deleted member 6794

Looking at the video, he seems to be limping on his right leg. Didn't he injure his left leg? (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

You're right about it, Bakhtiari tore the ACL in his left knee.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Maybe his rt knee is the issue now?? But wouldnt they have said rt knee?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap
@KenIngalls
·
Follow
David Bakhtiari has a $9.5M signing bonus due the 3rd day of 2023 league year. If cut/traded/retires BEFORE it is paid, the Packers are left with $23.13M of dead cap (less any insurance proceeds which I know is part of his contract).

If the bonus is paid, he is staying in 2023.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap
@KenIngalls
·
Follow
David Bakhtiari has a $9.5M signing bonus due the 3rd day of 2023 league year. If cut/traded/retires BEFORE it is paid, the Packers are left with $23.13M of dead cap (less any insurance proceeds which I know is part of his contract).

If the bonus is paid, he is staying in 2023.
Bak gets to stick around because he's Rodgers 2nd best friend. Next to Cobb.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bahk is done unfortunately....

Hasn't seriously played in like 2 years... on the wrong side of 30 for a high impact position in the NFL... I think he's done, but what do you do with him with his contract? lol

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Bahk is done unfortunately....

Hasn't seriously played in like 2 years... on the wrong side of 30 for a high impact position in the NFL... I think he's done, but what do you do with him with his contract? lol
Can't do a thing with him or his contract for '22 - it's fully guaranteed. Early March is when they can move on to save $5mil on the cap. Might as well let him try to come back...however IR might be a better place as it opens up a roster spot for a healthy player?