Davante Adams contract situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Rapoport says it looks likely he'll be tagged, however quite vague on the details. Regardless, this discussion will heat up in the coming weeks so here's the place it'll be discussed:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please help me understand tag situation. It's an annual thing that teams can exercise correct? If so - tag him. He is probably not going to be happy if they do so unfortunately.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Without other stories to talk about, I expect it to heat up in the media I guess. Every time I've heard Adams be asked anything about it, he's pretty much said the focus is on the season. Period. Contract talks were for before and for after. I'm not at all surprised by there being months of "no action" because that's pretty much what everyone said once the season started would be the case. I didn't expect anything to happen at all. Why does Ian?

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers are effectively $48 million above the cap for next season. I don't consider it to be a good idea to add at least another $16.5 million to it by tagging Adams.

If they want to retain him they need to sign him to a long-term extension before the start of the new league in year in March.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers are effectively $48 million above the cap for next season. I don't consider it to be a good idea to add at least another $16.5 million to it by tagging Adams.

If they want to retain him they need to sign him to a long-term extension before the start of the new league in year in March.
This was also my thought. Franchise tag really doesn't seem realistic.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have a feeling Devante wants to test the market. He has an idea of what he wants and will not take less. And so our only option outside of paying him all that money is to tag him. Well, or let him go. Gotta believe he is tradeable with a tag.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Exactly, we will need massive cuts to cover such a bonehead move financially. This is even without discussion what Rodgers does, extension to him and the likes of Jaire and even Cobb to retain (or could cut) and some others before it even becomes possible and even then is gonna take some team friendly contract construction at minimum

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand it's a bit of an ego thing to be the highest paid, and he is considered the best receiver in the league. There is peer pressure as well, to keep pushing the salaries up.

But, I think I would have to consider whether an extra 3-4 million a year, considering you will make 100 million+ in your career, is really worth it if you enjoy where you are playing with a successful organization and a chance to become a Packers icon. The same thoughts apply to Rodgers. Take a home town discount, still get paid millions, and keep winning and having fun. Just how I feel.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rapoport says it looks likely he'll be tagged, however quite vague on the details. Regardless, this discussion will heat up in the coming weeks so here's the place it'll be discussed:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Glad you decided where it should be talked about.

So when it derails, you remind others;):):giggle:

D

Deleted member 6794

I have a feeling Devante wants to test the market. He has an idea of what he wants and will not take less. And so our only option outside of paying him all that money is to tag him. Well, or let him go. Gotta believe he is tradeable with a tag.

You need to realize that if the Packers plan on trading Adams after franchise tagging him they will only have eight days to work out a deal before they need to fit his tag under the cap.

I understand it's a bit of an ego thing to be the highest paid, and he is considered the best receiver in the league. There is peer pressure as well, to keep pushing the salaries up.

But, I think I would have to consider whether an extra 3-4 million a year, considering you will make 100 million+ in your career, is really worth it if you enjoy where you are playing with a successful organization and a chance to become a Packers icon. The same thoughts apply to Rodgers. Take a home town discount, still get paid millions, and keep winning and having fun. Just how I feel.

There are a lot of fans advocating for players to take a home town discount but it rarely ever happens. I don't expect Adams to sign for less than market value with the Packers in the offseason.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The elephant in the room that no one will talk about because he's a good dude and it's not his fault is how much the Bahktiari extension has hurt us. We're going on two years of lighting that money on fire for no return on our investment when all along the Packers have found a way to make the line work without him. We're a better team with a healthy Bahk, clearly....but that deal has hurt and definitely affects these offseasons.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The elephant in the room that no one will talk about because he's a good dude and it's not his fault is how much the Bahktiari extension has hurt us. We're going on two years of lighting that money on fire for no return on our investment when all along the Packers have found a way to make the line work without him. We're a better team with a healthy Bahk, clearly....but that deal has hurt and definitely affects these offseasons.

This isn't a fair critique IMO.

High profile injuries will always make one regret the contracts. He arguably was and up until his injury still was the best or one of like two or three best LTs in the game. He was paid in accordance with that, and rightfully so. At the time of that contract extension no one envisioned our 3rd LT option really in Yosh being anywhere near ready or an option, Jenkins wasn't proven there either yet.

Paying for non-existent services does SUCK for cap purposes when injuries arise, but allowing hindset such as this to be critical of the contract just isn't fair IMO.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to realize that if the Packers plan on trading Adams after franchise tagging him they will only have eight days to work out a deal before they need to fit his tag under the cap.

There are a lot of fans advocating for players to take a home town discount but it rarely ever happens. I don't expect Adams to sign for less than market value with the Packers in the offseason.

I hate it but agree. Trading a tagged player requires an immense amount of work be done before even doing so, and I'd argue you almost have to already have strong indications within legal means of a partner and amount before you could even risk it. Not to mention that the cap situation doesn't just go away during that window of time.

Sometimes GREAT players have to be seen by their respective fan bases ride off into the sunset with another team. No one outside of Rodgers, MAYBE, could convince Adams to take any kind of discount...and by discount we are probably talking just slightly less guaranteed not possible total. While my feelings on Rodgers' future have come down to 50-50, I truly don't see a future that Adams is back better than maybe 15-85 at this point. Were our fiscal situations different I think Adams is for sure a WR you don't fear the age 30 AT ALL with.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

High profile injuries will always make one regret the contracts. He arguably was and up until his injury still was the best or one of like two or three best LTs in the game. He was paid in accordance with that, and rightfully so. At the time of that contract extension no one envisioned our 3rd LT option really in Yosh being anywhere near ready or an option, Jenkins wasn't proven there either yet.

Paying for non-existent services does SUCK for cap purposes when injuries arise, but allowing hindset such as this to be critical of the contract just isn't fair IMO.
I think it was completely fair… and I’m not using hindsight. I love Bahk… and agree that he is really that good. I am also on record stating that I believed that it was too much cap money to be invested in any player other than quarterback. I was not 100% negative about the contract when he signed it because part of me was happy he was staying a Packer, but I had my doubts that it was the right thing to do.

I will feel the same way if they re sign Adams. I really want him to remain a Packer… but I’m not sure any WR is worth the kind of money he may get.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think he's critiquing it as in, it was dumb, just that it hurts. he's not wrong on that. It's why I think he's done for this year too. he hasn't been able to practice on it without aggravation. He's not going to be ready to face battle tested DE's in big games without serious risk. Any severe injury at this point means we lose him for next year too.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it was completely fair… and I’m not using hindsight. I love Bahk… and agree that he is really that good. I am also on record stating that I believed that it was too much cap money to be invested in any player other than quarterback. I was not 100% negative about the contract when he signed it because part of me was happy he was staying a Packer, but I had my doubts that it was the right thing to do.

I will feel the same way if they re sign Adams. I really want him to remain a Packer… but I’m not sure any WR is worth the kind of money he may get.

I was also in the camp of worrying about paying that much for someone NOT taking the ball on snaps....but still find it tough to use an injury as a hindsight measurement is all I'm saying. The cap crushing blow Bakh's deal has delt is incredible...and in essence cost us a ton but gave us very little so far. SUCKS!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I have the same concern paying NON elite QB's that type of money

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score

"By rule, Adams would be entitled to a 20-percent raise over his 2021 cap number, if it’s more than the base franchise tag. At $16.787 million for 2021, that’s a tag in the amount of $20.144 million." It appears it would be much more than that. A lot of contracts would have to be reworked to make that happen. Agreed on the long-term extension.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Here's the way I see it to keep Adams. We would have to gut the team. Just to get under the cap we would have to cut Z. Smith, P. Smith, B. Turner, D. Lowry, M. Crosby, and R. Cobb. That would get us under the cap by about $4.5 million. That would also give the Packers roughly $35 million in dead money. It's a lot of dead money, but teams have done it to get rid of overpaid QB's before. That's only one player though. This would be six guys that would all need to be replaced. Again, That just gets us under the cap and doesn't get us the money to re-sign Adams or any other players for that matter. There's a slew of lesser players that can be cut and most likely will have to be cut to keep just the average players. The only way I see it working is if there are a bunch of guys willing to rework their contracts and Russ Ball will have to be creative. This would probably mean kicking the can down the road and having to deal with this all again. The numbers themselves just don't add up to being able to keep Adams.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the way I see it to keep Adams. We would have to gut the team. Just to get under the cap we would have to cut Z. Smith, P. Smith, B. Turner, D. Lowry, M. Crosby, and R. Cobb. That would get us under the cap by about $4.5 million. That would also give the Packers roughly $35 million in dead money.

I don't see it as us gutting the team. I presumed pretty much all of those you mentioned would be cut.

Losing both Smiths at the same time would hurt, but we could extend one of them (Preston?) and push out the cap hit past 2023. I'm normally not a fan, but with us being strapped this year and 2023 potentially exploding, I see no issue.

Mason is geting old. Ditto Cobb.

Turner I'd prefer to keep, but we have options. Keep Runyan at LG, move Jenkins to RT. Keep Jenkins at LG, move Yosh to RT. Either way, we'd have 4/5 of the line on their rookie deals. That's huge.

Lowry is a solid pro and we'd miss him, but he's not special.

Reaction score
The contracts of Rodgers and Adams seem threaded together. If we send one packing? then expect to send both and vice versa. The only good thing is that by offering Rodgers a solid extension, they may eliminate that 1 year High, crushing blow and can spread his contract out over multiple years. All these secondary or tertiary moves are really interlinked with the Rodgers decision. We’d need to know that before making any solid hypothesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts