Davante Adams contract situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the way I see it to keep Adams. We would have to gut the team. Just to get under the cap we would have to cut Z. Smith, P. Smith, B. Turner, D. Lowry, M. Crosby, and R. Cobb. That would get us under the cap by about $4.5 million. That would also give the Packers roughly $35 million in dead money. It's a lot of dead money, but teams have done it to get rid of overpaid QB's before. That's only one player though. This would be six guys that would all need to be replaced. Again, That just gets us under the cap and doesn't get us the money to re-sign Adams or any other players for that matter. There's a slew of lesser players that can be cut and most likely will have to be cut to keep just the average players. The only way I see it working is if there are a bunch of guys willing to rework their contracts and Russ Ball will have to be creative. This would probably mean kicking the can down the road and having to deal with this all again. The numbers themselves just don't add up to being able to keep Adams.

This is the price you pay for doing dumb ****. Overpaying bad players, pushing cap into the future years you didn’t have to, making poor choices in the draft.

As for replacing some of these guys I don’t think it’s so hard. You could easily cut Turner and play Jenkins at RT or even Njiman on the cheap. Mason would be good to keep but it’s just not possible and the Packers and the beat writers loved Molson. As good of a player as Zadarius is we are where we are now basically without him. Cobb was a nice addition but a draft pick and maybe some development from Rodgers can replace that. Even Preston can go if you draft an edge early or try and keep Mercilus for cheap.

There are a lot of options to make and plenty of players to keep around. Unfortunately we didn’t take some of our medicine last year and we are going to pay for it dearly next season. Gutey hs to win a SB otherwise he should be fired for the cap mess and the Love fiasco.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what? please explain all the dumb **** and overpaying of bad players and poor drafts.

We're 13-3, secured the #1 seed and have 3 all pros sidelined for almost the entire season because of injury. Toss in that we have 1 remaining starter on the offensive line and still keep rolling. GM's assemble teams like that every day LOL

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the price you pay for doing dumb ****. Overpaying bad players, pushing cap into the future years you didn’t have to, making poor choices in the draft.

Overpaying for bad players....who? Arguably the only player someone could make any kind of credible argument for is Lowry and possibly King...both low level salaries on the roster and honestly Lowry is playing solid (not great) this year so far for us. You're gonna have to flesh this thought out more than just saying it as I'm not following at all.

Pushing cap into the future...I hate it too, but in order to keep the guys we did they had to do it some...most teams did due to cap setting.

Poor choices in the draft....we've been through this exhaustively - I've even broke down every year recently. There have been very few massive misses, and the biggest one folks want to argue about hasn't even played out nor will until Rodgers leaves. Who were all this poor choices you speak of?

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
There are a lot of options to make and plenty of players to keep around. Unfortunately we didn’t take some of our medicine last year and we are going to pay for it dearly next season. Gutey hs to win a SB otherwise he should be fired for the cap mess and the Love fiasco.
Russ Ball is in charge of the salary cap. The general manager goes to the salary cap guy and asks if he can have a player. Ball figures it out. To simply put blame on Gute for the salary cap issues really isn't fair. It's like putting blame on the production manager for the accountant signing off on new equipment that capital funds didn't allow. It just doesn't make sense.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who remembers the Hate for Rogers when he took over under centre? & who remembers how many said he was no good & we should trade for insert name of QB here. Now 12 years later we love Rogers & we hate Love. Proof will be a season into his career after he starts every game. Daft question who did Favre pass to on his first pass for us? & who remembers the grief Favre got when he came to Green Bay? No-one wanted him neither. Now I am NOT saying Love is the next great QB but it is very early to call him a bust. Yes he is following 2 greats & ~12 will be in HoF once he retires. How many teams have had 2 great QB's ne after the other? I can think of 2 us & 49ers.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think at this point, we all have to marvel at Davante's progression over the past ~5 years or so.

I mean some were quick to even label him a "bust" after his 2nd season when he didn't even average 10 yards per reception

Call it practice, experience, thought process and connection with AR, talent, natural skill, etc. Or just a combination of all of them (most likely), but he has REALLY progressed his career and his credentials the past 5 years or so

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think at this point, we all have to marvel at Davante's progression over the past ~5 years or so.

I mean some were quick to even label him a "bust" after his 2nd season when he didn't even average 10 yards per reception

Call it practice, experience, thought process and connection with AR, talent, natural skill, etc. Or just a combination of all of them (most likely), but he has REALLY progressed his career and his credentials the past 5 years or so
If you had told me in 2015 that Davante would be a top-three WR in the league someday, I would have laughed. His 2nd season was terrible. I was critical of him on here as were many others, including some who advocated that he be cut. But Davante figured it out in 2016 and has only gotten better since. It's been impressive to watch.

Krabs

Reaction score
Who remembers the Hate for Rogers when he took over under centre? & who remembers how many said he was no good & we should trade for insert name of QB here. Now 12 years later we love Rogers & we hate Love. Proof will be a season into his career after he starts every game. Daft question who did Favre pass to on his first pass for us? & who remembers the grief Favre got when he came to Green Bay? No-one wanted him neither. Now I am NOT saying Love is the next great QB but it is very early to call him a bust. Yes he is following 2 greats & ~12 will be in HoF once he retires. How many teams have had 2 great QB's ne after the other? I can think of 2 us & 49ers.
I remember the hate Rodgers received. I was not one of them. I knew it was time to move on. I didn't want to lose Rodgers. These cases are not really similar. Favre was well passed his MVP years for Green Bay. Rodgers is about to win back to back MVP's. I do not want to give him up for Love.

I don't remember Favre coming to Green Bay. I just remember having him come in for the Magic Man. I remember him having the "it" factor. Also, Favre's first pass was completed to himself. I didn't have to look that up. Go ahead and fact check me though. I will apologize if I'm wrong.

I think most people's hang up with Love, and I'm one of them, is we could have filled a need. Or, at least tried to fill a need. Instead, we have a guy filling a jersey that isn't going to help us.

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
& yes number 4 passed to number 4.

it always tickles me that

I understand the filling a jersey when we had other needs but it used to be take best player regardless of need, that was under TT not sure if that still applies

Krabs

Reaction score
& yes number 4 passed to number 4.

it always tickles me that

I understand the filling a jersey when we had other needs but it used to be take best player regardless of need, that was under TT not sure if that still applies
This one has been debated to death. I do think that if we are to somehow keep Adams that Rodgers is going to have to rework his contract. Maybe he is willing to give it one more go and take a more cap friendly deal. He has not been willing to do this in the past. I feel like that if the Packers win he might just retire. Go out on top. He knows how hard it is to win the Super Bowl and he knows the cap situation.

TEXPAC2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a little sick of the media creating an issue within the Packers. I have no idea if GB plans on placing the franchise tag on Adams. I am sure no one on the packers has reported that to Ian (whatever his name is)…….

Why do they all create these issues. Is it just to be the first to “float” an idea no hear themselves pontificate????

I don't get it!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a little sick of the media creating an issue within the Packers. I have no idea if GB plans on placing the franchise tag on Adams. I am sure no one on the packers has reported that to Ian (whatever his name is)…….

Why do they all create these issues. Is it just to be the first to “float” an idea no hear themselves pontificate????

I don't get it!
Ratings?
Create discord within the team?
Jealousy?
Ratings, that and accountability, or lack thereof. There is very little consequence to being wrong so why not make all the claims you can. Some are bound to be right and in this case he has a 50/50 chance (either they tag him or they don't.) In fact its a pretty safe bet they would tag him if all you look at is how good he is and how dumb the Packers would be to let him go. If you look more in depth, at the salary cap implications for example you will see that its not the slam dunk it appears to be. Very few people look at that however. Even some Packer fans don't give it any consideration. The prevailing thought is they would be stupid to let him reach FA so they will tag him and if they do Ian Rappaport can say "I told you so" if they don't hell have a dozen more reports that will bury this one. As long as you are right once in a while and the bigger the issue you are right on the more leeway you get on the wrong ones, you can pretty much predict what you want and get away with it.

I remember a lot of hate from Favre fans. Not so much from Packer fans. I'm not saying you can't be both a player and a team fan but if you are there is chance you are going to have to pick a side some day. Favre fans didn't like it pure and simple. Packer fans might not have liked it so much but I think they understood why it happened.

I don't know who said it and I'm too lazy to go look (captain maybe) but someone said when it was time to hand the reigns over to Rodgers we had seen a couple of games where he looked pretty darn good. I think there was at least a bit of confidence that he could be a decent QB. As of now I don't think anyone can honestly say what they have seen from Love gives them that same feeling. That's not saying he can't be decent just that I don't know what, other than faith, makes anyone feel that way. You know even if he lights it up against the Lions some will say "it was only the Lions".

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a fan of Doctor Who. Now the actor who plays the Doctor changes & it's the same there. Peole will question why they got rid of "THEIR" Doctor then after a while hey like the new one till the actor leaves then it starts again. OK Dr. Who is a TV series & Football has way more money invested in it but fans are fans are fans

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also the talking heads in a studio have to talk about something so why not who will be tagged & why it is good or bad for that team.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know a damn thing about the cap, but I do know you cannot let these two go. Period. Move heaven and earth to keep them here, especially after seeing a future with Love at the helm.....

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you had told me in 2015 that Davante would be a top-three WR in the league someday, I would have laughed. His 2nd season was terrible. I was critical of him on here as were many others, including some who advocated that he be cut. But Davante figured it out in 2016 and has only gotten better since. It's been impressive to watch.

Right.

Davante definitely deserves a lot of credit for his turnaround and progression, you really have to give him respect and credit for that.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

As for replacing some of these guys I don’t think it’s so hard. You could easily cut Turner and play Jenkins at RT or even Njiman on the cheap. Mason would be good to keep but it’s just not possible and the Packers and the beat writers loved Molson. As good of a player as Zadarius is we are where we are now basically without him. Cobb was a nice addition but a draft pick and maybe some development from Rodgers can replace that. Even Preston can go if you draft an edge early or try and keep Mercilus for cheap.

say what...lol

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2022 Franchise Tag for a WR is projected (by OTC) to be $19.127Mil, which is less than the yearly avg. that Adams on a long term deal will make. That amount immediately counts against the cap if/when it is applied. IF Gute doesn't intend to sign Adams long term I think the thought of tagging him shows other teams that they'd need to pony-up a pick or 2 IF they want Adams and that Gute doesn't want him to leave for free. That may be inevitable, but it also may extract a pick from somebody. That would restrict Adams, however, from potentially getting maximum amount from his next contract IF he's not allowed to hit free agency. A lot of things to consider, and it all depends on how much Gute/Ball want to push into future years when deciding who stays and how to fit them under the cap.

Reaction score
I remember the hate Rodgers received. I was not one of them. I knew it was time to move on. I didn't want to lose Rodgers. These cases are not really similar. Favre was well passed his MVP years for Green Bay. Rodgers is about to win back to back MVP's. I do not want to give him up for Love.

I don't remember Favre coming to Green Bay. I just remember having him come in for the Magic Man. I remember him having the "it" factor. Also, Favre's first pass was completed to himself. I didn't have to look that up. Go ahead and fact check me though. I will apologize if I'm wrong.

I think most people's hang up with Love, and I'm one of them, is we could have filled a need. Or, at least tried to fill a need. Instead, we have a guy filling a jersey that isn't going to help us.
I think GB should rework Rodgers contract towards a 4 year +- deal with a contract out in year 4. In doing so Rodgers needs to understand we can’t set $ records with his contract. He’d be potentially 42 years old when he’s done here and possibly might even get a 1 year extension etc.. like Brees. If he’s reasonable ~35M annual for a more player-friendly, comfortable length and allowing him 3+ years of security?
we can make this work. We could push ~$10m from 2022 into the future and it’s very doable imo

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think GB should rework Rodgers contract towards a 4 year +- deal with a contract out in year 4. In doing so Rodgers needs to understand we can’t set $ records with his contract. He’d be potentially 42 years old when he’s done here and possibly might even get a 1 year extension etc.. like Brees. If he’s reasonable ~35M annual for a more player-friendly, comfortable length and allowing him 3+ years of security?
we can make this work. We could push ~$10m from 2022 into the future and it’s very doable imo
And I do think this is possible. I believe finishing his career as a one team guy is more important than being the highest paid QB at this point. I also think fences have been mended to the point where he would come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts