Datone Jones signs with the Vikings

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People will gnash their teeth at losing Jones, Hyde and Peppers, but if the problem with the defense is players that just aren't that good, we shouldn't be too concerned.

OP
OP
C-Lee

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People will gnash their teeth at losing Jones, Hyde and Peppers, but if the problem with the defense is players that just aren't that good, we shouldn't be too concerned.
Agreed, get some new guys out there.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Jones will be playing in a 4-3 Defense, which I think will help him. Let's just hope he still is below average as a Viking.

Reaction score
I'm also not overly concerned with losing Datone. He was a quarter twist short of a flop considering we spent a 1st round pick on him. He played with the stats of a 5th round compensatory pick and the enthusiasm of a practice squad cheerleader

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BUBYE....the invisible man returns! Now he will disappear in the land of fairweather fans and empty sb trophy cases. GOOD RIDDANCE.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In time it will be obvious the loss that hurt us most on D is Hyde. He may have been overpayed to go to Buff but he did alot for our defense.

Reaction score
In time it will be obvious the loss that hurt us most on D is Hyde. He may have been overpayed to go to Buff but he did alot for our defense.
IDK. We could've signed 2 Davon Houses for the Contract $ Hyde wanted. We need to go faster at CB IMO and Davon is in that direction. Plus, We didn't lock ourselves into the equivalent of a 5yr cell phone contract with a $14 million dollar walk away fee I'm not always in agreement with TT but so far this made sense to me.

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jack of all trades, master of none. Hyde was the spare donut tire. Sure, works for a bit and serves a purpose, but in the end you realize you need something better.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jones actually did a decent job pressuring the quarterback as an outside linebacker last season. After losing him and Peppers the position is in need of an upgrade.

Totally agree and I think we might need 2 upgrades at the position, a FA (Barwin) and a high pick on a rookie. Prepare for the end of the Matthews era in Green Bay, if he isn't cut or renegotiated this year and/or if he doesn't improve, 2017 may be his swan song.

Schmidi23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Mike Garafolo of NFL Network reported it's a one-year deal worth $3.75 million but could increase to $5 million."

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. I think Datone will benefit from their 4-3 scheme. I will be a little ticked if he ends up putting nice numbers up for them as DE!

I am interested to see how much run he gets with Griffen and Hunter and I am pretty sure Robison is still under contract.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Green Bay's coaching staff ****** the guy around too much. I was interested to see what he could be with another year invested as an EDGE guy. I think there's more there with him.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
All you say about this guy is "Bust". At least TT cut his losses and didn't bring him back.

I will be good to see someone new get a shot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think that they ****** him around. After he couldn't succeed at DE they gave him a shot at OLB to see if he could help there. Datone ****** himself around.

Let's all laugh at this one though:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/15/datone-jones-hungry-to-sack-aaron-rodgers/

9 sacks over four years.

He may be hungry but he's going to bed hungry...again.

Let the smack talk begin! LOL Of course this "getting to AR" requires Jones to be on the field, find a way to get around either Bahk or Bulaga AND catch AR......good luck Datone.

H

HardRightEdge

Almost sounds like an incentivate contract. :)
http://overthecap.com/player/datone-jones/2207

$1.5 mil base salary
$1.6 mil signing bonus
$150,000 workout bonus
$500,000 roster bonuses
$1.25 mil in incentives

This is typical of an NFL incentive. Something layered in for a player with something to prove.

Extensive incentives across the roster would create cash and cap chaos per the the terms of the CBA.

The last contract I can recall with big incentives was Vick's rebound deal with Philly. They are pretty rare.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://overthecap.com/player/datone-jones/2207

$1.5 mil base salary
$1.6 mil signing bonus
$150,000 workout bonus
$500,000 roster bonuses
$1.25 mil in incentives

This is typical of an NFL incentive. Something layered in for a player with something to prove.

Extensive incentives across the roster would create cash and cap chaos per the the terms of the CBA.

The last contract I can recall with big incentives was Vick's rebound deal with Philly. They are pretty rare.

As always, a matter of definition and perspective. If he earns the $5 mil, 25% of it will be incentives. I, personally, consider that an incentive-laden contract. Apparently, some do not.

H

HardRightEdge

As always, a matter of definition and perspective. If he earns the $5 mil, 25% of it will be incentives. I, personally, consider that an incentive-laden contract. Apparently, some do not.
You're right. I do not. It represents 0.7% of the Packers 2016 cap number.

Members online

Latest posts