Cobb's contract year

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is having a great year and has show he is crucial to the teams success on the field. He is a must sign. I hope he doesnt end up tagged, but it should be interesting to see the final numbers on his contract

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
He won't be cheap.

I am happy for him. Seems like a good guy, great role model, hard worker, etc. Total Packer material. Hope we can afford him.

D

Deleted member 6794

He won't be cheap.

I am happy for him. Seems like a good guy, great role model, hard worker, etc. Total Packer material. Hope we can afford him.

The Packers will have approximately $27 million in cap space for next season. Re-signing Cobb will be the top priority for Thompson and the team has enough cap space to do that. It will be interesting to see what happens with Tramon, Raji and Bulaga though.

PFanCan

Reaction score
The Packers will have approximately $27 million in cap space for next season. Re-signing Cobb will be the top priority for Thompson and the team has enough cap space to do that. It will be interesting to see what happens with Tramon, Raji and Bulaga though.

Will be very interesting to see what happens with all three of those guys. I can be convinced either way for each one at this point in the season.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although not necessarily proven, there are a number of good-looking options at CB. The defense has been without Raji all year (and, realistically, last year), so it can't suffer if he's not signed, and who's going to pay anything substantial to him after the last couple of years? Bulaga is another story - the protection has been fine with him in there as part of the starting five, not so great otherwise.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree Cobb is a must re-sign and Bulaga is not far behind IMO. Even with Barclay returning IMO they need to add another OT. Losing Bulaga would mean adding two, one of whom would have to immediately start.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree Cobb is a must re-sign and Bulaga is not far behind IMO. Even with Barclay returning IMO they need to add another OT. Losing Bulaga would mean adding two, one of whom would have to immediately start.

Barclay is a free agent as well, though with him being an RFA re-signing him won´t be that expensive.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will be very interesting to see what happens with all three of those guys. I can be convinced either way for each one at this point in the season.

I was 100% fine with the Packers letting Jennings walk. Cobb is better than Jennings.

We need to sign Cobb. Been saying it all year. Jordy and Cobb are as good 1/2 in the NFL. I sure wish one of the other guys would emerge as a solid #3.

PFanCan

Reaction score
...I sure wish one of the other guys would emerge as a solid #3.

D. Adams is off to a reasonable start. No reason to think that he won't fit the bill as a solid #3 or better. It takes a while to earn A-Rods trust. And it seems Davante is in the process of doing this.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D. Adams is off to a reasonable start. No reason to think that he won't fit the bill as a solid #3 or better. It takes a while to earn A-Rods trust. And it seems Davante is in the process of doing this.

I know...and I agree...but I was hoping by now there would be a solid #3 that we'd be talking about and that's not happened. I'm very surprised Boykin has not done anything.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't it nice that TT doesn't waste money in free agency so that he can re-sign his star players? GM's rarely get credit for good cap management. They just get hammered for not spending the money in free agency.

D

Deleted member 6794

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/davante-adams-thread.51850/page-5

In May you said you didnt think TT would sign Nelson and Cobb

I countered that Cobb would be done either by end of the year or start of next season.

Glad to see you changed your mind

Well, I said that I wasn´t convinced the Packers would re-sign both of them. The way Cobb has played this season there´s no way Thompson will let him walk. The team won´t be able to bring back some other guys because of paying a lot of money to two receivers though.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't it nice that TT doesn't waste money in free agency so that he can re-sign his star players? GM's rarely get credit for good cap management. They just get hammered for not spending the money in free agency.

Saints, Seahawks, and Broncos are good examples of negatives of spending in free agency or trades.

Saints gave Byrd a huge deal, but had to dump off Sproles to the Eagles.

The Broncos got Ware, Talib, and Ward, but have have lost Dumervil, Decker, and Rodgers-Cromartie so it's debatable whether they got better.

The Seahawks spent a lot on Harvin. Tate is performing better for Detroit now than Harvin has helped the Seahawks and he is now a Jet. (Helped in the Super Bowl, but they would have won it anyway without him).

Plus, these teams do not get the compensatory picks the Packers receive.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well, I said that I wasn´t convinced the Packers would re-sign both of them. The way Cobb has played this season there´s no way Thompson will let him walk. The team won´t be able to bring back some other guys because of paying a lot of money to two receivers though.

Hooray! That means Brad Jones won't be coming back.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hooray! That means Brad Jones won't be coming back.

Brad Jones is under contract for 2015 but I don't see the Packers bringing him back as he would count $4.75 million towards the cap while releasing would result in only $1 million of dead money.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saints, Seahawks, and Broncos are good examples of negatives of spending in free agency or trades.

Saints gave Byrd a huge deal, but had to dump off Sproles to the Eagles.

The Broncos got Ware, Talib, and Ward, but have have lost Dumervil, Decker, and Rodgers-Cromartie so it's debatable whether they got better.

The Seahawks spent a lot on Harvin. Tate is performing better for Detroit now than Harvin has helped the Seahawks and he is now a Jet. (Helped in the Super Bowl, but they would have won it anyway without him).

Plus, these teams do not get the compensatory picks the Packers receive.

... the bears are the best example yet of why it's not viable, long term, to not build within.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone know which QBs the Bears could have drafted to pursue draft-and-develop?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was 100% fine with the Packers letting Jennings walk. Cobb is better than Jennings.

We need to sign Cobb. Been saying it all year. Jordy and Cobb are as good 1/2 in the NFL. I sure wish one of the other guys would emerge as a solid #3.

They are young. WR takes time in this league to get in your groove. We will have a very solid WR core next season

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Cobb has more than make a case for himself to be re-signed. He has proven himself to be an integral part of our offense not to mention his performance on special teams.

Members online

Latest posts