Cobb's contract year

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Agree that replacing him 100% with a draft pick is near impossible...... That said , when I mentioned the first time that Jenning could be let go with Cobb on the roster, nobody agreed. jenning is a great WR. Most NFL WRs are great WRs.... On the Vikings they dont look as good. In GB they look great..... So never say never. right?
:tdown: I'm kind of confused. Based on your data to the left, you've been on the board less than a year. Yet you claim to have led the call that a player that wasn't on the roster the previous season even could be replaced by a player that was. If I am mistaken, use the search to point me to your posts to back this up or even just bump the thread. I am sure others would also like to see your prophecy. IIRC, there was a small chorus that basically said that Cobb was drafted to replace Jennings.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Seattle has plenty of cap space next year. Maybe they will make Cobb an offer? :D

...and he puts a smiley after his post. ;) Such a bitter, bitter Vikings fan. ;) Hahahaha... speaking of which, it's Pack v. Vike Day. Jes' sayin' ...

As for Cobb .... PAY THE MAN!! Further, I think that Cobb has a unique perspective in this matter because he's a had a view from the front row on what happens to talented receivers who no longer have Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball to them.

Cobb though, is different. This is one sharp guy. You can tell by just looking into those eyes that he 'gets it'. This guy is no prima-donna NFL receiver. As I said ... PAY THE MAN!!

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and he puts a smiley after his post. ;) Such a bitter, bitter Vikings fan. ;) Hahahaha... speaking of which, it's Pack v. Vike Day. Jes' sayin' ...

As for Cobb .... PAY THE MAN!! Further, I think that Cobb has a unique perspective in this matter because he's a had a view from the front row on what happens to talented receivers who no longer have Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball to them.

Cobb though, is different. This is one sharp guy. You can tell by just looking into those eyes that he 'gets it'. This guy is no prima-donna NFL receiver. As I said ... PAY THE MAN!!
I agree.
PAY THE MAN!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pay the man what you can, what you think he's worth to us, what he thinks he's worth, what his agent thinks he's worth, what other teams think he's worth, or does PAY THE MAN mean pay him whatever it takes?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love having the slasher. But is the position worth 8-10 mil? It is if y
:tdown: I'm kind of confused. Based on your data to the left, you've been on the board less than a year. Yet you claim to have led the call that a player that wasn't on the roster the previous season even could be replaced by a player that was. If I am mistaken, use the search to point me to your posts to back this up or even just bump the thread. I am sure others would also like to see your prophecy. IIRC, there was a small chorus that basically said that Cobb was drafted to replace Jennings.

Cobb allowed us to replace Jennings. There was a hoard of Loyalists singing the same tune then about Jennings, as they are about Cobb now... When Jennings was the #1, and Cobb was a rookie with potential. Hardly ANYBODY was on board to let Jennings go.... And in time you will be able to go back and track my posts. But these years I was on ESPN boards. No need to cop an attitude about that too. I already fought it out on another board. Some of you people are skeptical and mean. I dont need people attacking me when im trying to talk football.

You ever hear a liar spitting detail after detail, coupled with thoughts and logic that led to the theories? No. How about trying to hear what im saying instead of getting side tracked , to pick a fight about trusting my word... wait and see. Pay attention to what im saying. then you will see with your own eyes if im right or wrong.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To go into more detail about my position on our WRs. I believed two big WR should be the starters. Guys who are 6'4, and 220 pounds... These guys can block like small TE's, and that can be another big help for running game. Then a slasher like Jennings and then Cobb, moving around slicing and dicing... Jordy and Jones were the ones at the time. Even though Jones was shrinking, he was a beast as a younger player. 6'1" 216 before he slimmed down to 206... Anyways we brought in Adams. I believe Adams was drafted to start opposite Jordy. And eventually grow into the #1 like jordy did. So that leaves Cobb as the slasher.

If I am right on this. That puts Adams in a bigger role for the franchise's future. And even if we do pay Cobb what he wants short term. Similar to Finleys 2 year prove it contract. (I thought Finley was a goner with Quarless in the ranks) Actually had Quarless not blown the knee, Finley might be a Viking! :) Anyways.....

This reminds me of Jordys contract before last. We had talent at WR. Jordy had the talent. Was profesional. was humble just like Cobb. But Jordy took like 4 mil a year. He couldve maneuvered his way right out of GB, but the humility was real. He signed a fair deal that fit him into the bigger picture, and he went back to work!!! Hardly missed a snap in 4 years and got his 10mil a year like he wanted....... Seems to me Cobb is where Jordy was 5 years ago...Seems to me Cobb says humble things with a half smile, knowing he is gonna get paid...

Hope he realizes GB has alot of friends in alot of high places... Players RARELY win. They can make or break players like Cobb and Jennings... All in my opinion.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree.
PAY THE MAN!

I agree in theory... But when faced with paying Cobb or Paying Neal, Perry, and Daniels (who i consider 3-4 million dollar core guys) or should we **** the secondary and keep Cobb over Hayward, Hyde with inevitable loss of Williams coming? I mean Im not in tune to our cap space. But i noticed alot of 10mil a year guys signed last couple years... Can we afford to keep doing that? If anyone can maneuver it , its thompson. But Thompson like his cush...

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love having the slasher. But is the position worth 8-10 mil? It is if y

Cobb allowed us to replace Jennings. There was a hoard of Loyalists singing the same tune then about Jennings, as they are about Cobb now... When Jennings was the #1, and Cobb was a rookie with potential. Hardly ANYBODY was on board to let Jennings go.... And in time you will be able to go back and track my posts. But these years I was on ESPN boards. No need to cop an attitude about that too. I already fought it out on another board. Some of you people are skeptical and mean. I dont need people attacking me when im trying to talk football.

You ever hear a liar spitting detail after detail, coupled with thoughts and logic that led to the theories? No. How about trying to hear what im saying instead of getting side tracked , to pick a fight about trusting my word... wait and see. Pay attention to what im saying. then you will see with your own eyes if im right or wrong.

I actually had no problem with letting Jennings walk even when he was our #1. We've only got so much cap room to go around and we can't afford to invest a quarter of it into our receivers.

I'm still kind of torn on Cobb. Saying pay him is easy. He's a good player, it's not our money, and we don't have to worry about the cap. But the big picture is more complex especially after just paying Jordy. I still want to keep him obviously, but I guess I'd like to have a better idea of the price we'll pay to do so.

If I'm TT I'm probably still trying to get him locked him to a reasonably team-friendly deal knowing it's a long shot, but I'm not overpaying. If that fails I'd probably put the franchise tag on him next year with the intent of him playing under it. That would buy us another year to let Adams develop and see what we have in Janis and Abbrederis.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They'll pay the man if the numbers make sense. If the numbers don't make sense, he'll take his show some place else and he will be replaced. Just like always.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm starting to change my position on this one. Cobb is a stud and his market-value has never been higher, so why should he potentially take less to stay in GB with AR throwing to him? If another team gives him the $$ and 4 or 5 year contract averaging $9, $10 or $11Mil I would think he'd be foolish not to consider it.

TT has had great success finding WR's in the 2nd round over the years: Jennings, Jordy, Cobb and now Adams. Why shouldn't he (and we) expect that to change? It wouldn't be as strong of a WR unit, but I could see the '15 Packers training camp crew as: Jordy, Adams, Boykin, Abbrederis, Janis, Dorsey, Gillett, White and a couple of draft picks and UDFA's.

I love Cobb as a target and wouldn't complain if TT did extend him, but that $9+Mill/yr. could be put to use elsewhere on the roster, as well.

Rookie WR's making an impact in the NFL this year: Watkins, Beckham, Cooks, M. Evans, K. Benjamin, J. Landry, M. Bryant, A. Hurns, Adams, Jordan Matthews, Josh Huff (TD return today), John Brown (AZ). Spend a 2nd or 3rd every other year and keep the WR talent rolling through.