Cobb's contract year

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Brad Jones is under contract for 2015 but I don't see the Packers bringing him back as he would count $4.75 million towards the cap while releasing would result in only $1 million of dead money.

Right. Almost a 4 million cap savings that can be used to sign Cobb. I say Sign Bulaga, Cobb, and give Tramon a cap friendly 2 year type deal. Make Hawk take a pay cut. I hope they can keep House.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The good news about Brad Jones is twofold IMO: First and most important, he's behind Clay, Hawk, Barrington, and Lattimore at ILB. We can complain that it took too long, but better late than never. Second, he's shown up on ST coverage units. So the latter is a plus on ST this season and the former ensures he won't be back next season (unless he accepts a minimum offer and even then maybe not since I hope Bradford will be ahead of him next spring).

The timing of the Cobb extension will be interesting. Because of the cap carry over rule there's no hurry to do it before the end of the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right. Almost a 4 million cap savings that can be used to sign Cobb. I say Sign Bulaga, Cobb, and give Tramon a cap friendly 2 year type deal. Make Hawk take a pay cut. I hope they can keep House.

I don't think Tramon would accept a team friendly contract nor do I expect Hawk to agree to another pay cut.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Tramon would accept a team friendly contract nor do I expect Hawk to agree to another pay cut.

Agree 100% about Hawk. If you ask the guy to take a SECOND pay cut you mise well just tell him he's getting cut because he's still overpaid. Id ask to be released if I got asked to take a second pay cut.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is playing lights out. He's going to garner a ton of attention if we let him hit the open market. If TT is wise they are already working on a deal behind the scenes.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Earlier this season I didn't think that Cobb was playing well. Truthfully I think that it took him a few games to find his groove back. Since then....wow. He'll get the payday that he deserves.

Hawk won't be asked to take a pay cut because we still need him to lead our defense because we don't have anyone to take his place. Matthews will not be a permanent move. It's a very, very good band-aid in 2014.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

If cap goes to 140 million which is expected in 2015 and you throw in roll over cap money and Jones gone we can sign all those guys. Bulaga and Cobb for sure. At the most we lose either House or Williams depending on who they sign at NT which upsets me again for letting Rolle go.

Hawk's contract is due for almost 5 mill next year. Personally I think they could do better for 5 mill. I don't think there are to many teams that would be jumping up and down to sign a 5.0 flat 40 time ILB for 5 mill.

D

Deleted member 6794

If cap goes to 140 million which is expected in 2015 and you throw in roll over cap money and Jones gone we can sign all those guys. Bulaga and Cobb for sure. At the most we lose either House or Williams depending on who they sign at NT which upsets me again for letting Rolle go.

Hawk's contract is due for almost 5 mill next year. Personally I think they could do better for 5 mill.

It seems like trying to hide Rolle on the practice squad was a mistake by Thompson. Even if he likes Goodson's talent the guy is extremely raw and I don't think any team would have picked him up from our PS.

While Hawk will count $5.1 million towards the cap $1.6 million of it is because of the prorated signing bonus. The veteran's minimum (which Hawk won't agree to) would be at $870K so he qould at least count $2.47 million vs. the cap. In addition he's set to earn another million in workout and roster bonuses (which he won't give up completely).

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It seems like trying to hide Rolle on the practice squad was a mistake by Thompson. Even if he likes Goodson's talent the guy is extremely raw and I don't think any team would have picked him up from our PS.

While Hawk will count $5.1 million towards the cap $1.6 million of it is because of the prorated signing bonus. The veteran's minimum (which Hawk won't agree to) would be at $870K so he qould at least count $2.47 million vs. the cap. In addition he's set to earn another million in workout and roster bonuses (which he won't give up completely).

That's one I just don't get as I know TT loves his draft picks but this Goodson guy most likely wasn't even going to get drafted by anyone if we didn't take him. As far as Hawk goes it probably goes along with how the season plays out. If we go all the way I could see them keeping Hawk around.

In regards to this thread Cobb isn't going anywhere.

Sky King

Reaction score

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As has been said Cobb wont be going anywhere. Its simply a matter of whether the deal gets done before we'd have to use the tag on him.

Bulagas an interesting case and will probably be determined by how good the packers feel about Tretter at tackle. Im inclined to resign him because I dont think we'll have to get into a bidding war to retain.

Barclays only back on a very team friendly deal

Hawk isnt going nowhere but Jones is good as gone.

Raji I can see being brought back at roughly 3/4 of his price this year.

Peppers should be interesting cause there is no way he comes back without restructuring. Shouldnt be a problem but still interesting enough to keep an eye on.

The real decision comes down to Tramon or House. Think they'll go with Tramon on a slightly cheaper deal. Hes the better corner and wont come with the asking price of House likely. Plus House said he almost wants a guaranteed starting spot and personally I think hes our 5th best CB right now so I dont see how GB could give him the kind of assurance

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No other team in the NFL would pay Hawk anything but the veteran minimum.

AJ's $5.1 cap hit, given his never good and quickly declining play, cannot be justified.

D

Deleted member 6794

Barclays only back on a very team friendly deal

Peppers should be interesting cause there is no way he comes back without restructuring. Shouldnt be a problem but still interesting enough to keep an eye on.

The real decision comes down to Tramon or House. Think they'll go with Tramon on a slightly cheaper deal. Hes the better corner and wont come with the asking price of House likely. Plus House said he almost wants a guaranteed starting spot and personally I think hes our 5th best CB right now so I dont see how GB could give him the kind of assurance

I have a hard time believing Thompson will bring Peppers back with a $12 million cap hit but restructuring a contract isn´t an easy thing to do (I was convinced the Packers would restructure Tramon´s contract this offseason). IMO there´s no way House deserves more money than Williams. Barclay is a RFA so retaining him should be a no-brainer.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there are to many teams that would be jumping up and down to sign a 5.0 flat 40 time ILB for 5 mill.
Ummm, Cincy just gave Burfict a 4 yr/$20Mil extension... and he ran 5.09 at the combine!! Unless TT brings in a 4.6 proven Thumper AND coverage guru I wouldn't feel too badly about Hawk returning as one of our ILB's.

TT needs to resign Cobb ($1 less than Jordy?), Bulaga, and either House (4 yr. deal) OR T. Williams (2 yr. deal).

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Ummm, Cincy just gave Burfict a 4 yr/$20Mil extension... and he ran 5.09 at the combine!! Unless TT brings in a 4.6 proven Thumper AND coverage guru I wouldn't feel too badly about Hawk returning as one of our ILB's.

TT needs to resign Cobb ($1 less than Jordy?), Bulaga, and either House (4 yr. deal) OR T. Williams (2 yr. deal).

I have a hard time comparing Hawk to a Pro Bowl ILB such as Burfict. Film doesn't say there the same.

I think the whole A.J Hawk thing is hilarious. When our defense plays well and Capers is successful at hiding him he becomes tolerable to people IMO. Then in a game when we get behind and teams Blow by him everyone wants him gone.

I have nothing against Hawk but looking at salary his skill set doesn't add up to 5 mill IMO. Like I shared in earlier post if we go all the way I could see him coming back but a long off-season of memories of our defense getting gashed up the middle in a critical playoff game might be to much for him to overcome.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time comparing Hawk to a Pro Bowl ILB such as Burfict. Film doesn't say there the same.

I think the whole A.J Hawk thing is hilarious. When our defense plays well and Capers is successful at hiding him he becomes tolerable to people IMO. Then in a game when we get behind and teams Blow by him everyone wants him gone.

I have nothing against Hawk but looking at salary his skill set doesn't add up to 5 mill IMO. Like I shared in earlier post if we go all the way I could see him coming back but a long off-season of memories of our defense getting gashed up the middle in a critical playoff game might be to much for him to overcome.

Very true. That cracks me up also. It's been an entire career of that when it comes to Packer fans and Hawk.

For me, I'm ready to see some size in there. I'm ready to move on.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon is going to be 32 starting next season and is probably looking for one final big pay day. Overall I think he was worth the contract extension he signed back in 2010, but TT is not the kind of guy to give massive extensions to aging vets. I honestly wouldn't be shocked to see TT let him test free agency. I don't know what the CB market is going to be come next Spring, but Tramon would probably be one of the better ones available if he gets there.

Cobb is probably the one guy entering FA in 2015 that is worth the franchise tag. It's going to be pushing $13 million in 2015 for a WR, but he's proven to be a play maker on offense and special teams when needed and wouldn't be the end of the world having on a one year deal to keep him around if a long term extension can't get done, especially if the salary cap jumps next year. Jordy has been worth every penny of his extension and Cobb is one guy I'd like to keep as well. James Jones production can be replaced in the draft by prospects like Davante Adams, but Cobb is a dynamic play maker that I don't think TT should let get away.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I referenced your quote regarding teams "jumping up and down to sign a 5.0 flat 40 time ILB for 5 mill" which is EXACTLY what Cincy did. I made NO reference to Pro Bowls, # of tackles in a season or career, hottest wife, talent, age, etc. ~ just a team signing a 5.0 (5.09 40, actually) 40 ILB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Cobb is probably the one guy entering FA in 2015 that is worth the franchise tag. It's going to be pushing $13 million in 2015 for a WR, but he's proven to be a play maker on offense and special teams when needed and wouldn't be the end of the world having on a one year deal to keep him around if a long term extension can't get done, especially if the salary cap jumps next year. Jordy has been worth every penny of his extension and Cobb is one guy I'd like to keep as well. James Jones production can be replaced in the draft by prospects like Davante Adams, but Cobb is a dynamic play maker that I don't think TT should let get away.

I fully expect Thompson to sign Cobb to a long term contract. TT doesn´t like to use the franchise tag and Cobb counting $13 million against the cap in 2015 would make it tough to re-sign any of the other pending free agents.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I fully expect Thompson to sign Cobb to a long term contract. TT doesn´t like to use the franchise tag and Cobb counting $13 million against the cap in 2015 would make it tough to re-sign any of the other pending free agents.

Glad you had change of heart

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.cheeseheadtv.com/blog/point-of-veau-dont-worry-randall-cobb-isnt-going-anywhere

The exact figure Cobb is expected to make is up for speculation, but it wouldn't be surprising to see him agree to slightly less than the deals inked by Nelson and Jennings.

Coincidentally, the decision to keep Cobb could be impacted by similar choices on offensive lineman Bryan Bulaga and cornerback Davon House, each of whom also have contracts expiring after the 2014 season.

The Packers are currently about $8 million underneath the 2014 salary cap, according to OvertheCap.com, but will be able to carry that amount over to next season when it's anticipated the salary cap will rise even more thanks to revenue from the NFL's television deals kicking in.

Whether the Packers will be able to keep Cobb, Bulaga and House all under contract for 2015 and beyond remains to be seen, but there's little doubt that Cobb will be the priority.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With our defense becoming more of a priority in recent years. We invested in guys who had slow starts due to injury. Continued to draft defense, and invest in D. Now everyones healthy, and the perfect storm is coming together. New stars emerging. Older starters playing better. I predict the defense will put us over the top. The last two games were indicators of what I think will be normal come playoff time. Because We are just now coming together and getting better every game... Its going to take alot of cash to keep the core of the defense together if we continue to have as much sucess as we have had recently... Coupled with the fact that Thompson has proven that he can draft a WR and plug him in any draft... Cobb has had durability issues. He plays so fast he gets hit harder. He shorter, and has to jump, one hand or lay out for balls Jordy catches in stride. And the biggest thing is Jordy Nelson. Nelson is the #1. Nelson earned a big deal after producing consistantly for 2 contracts first! Like James Jones, I think Cobb (and the league) values Cobb more than GB does.

And unless Rodgers steps in and calls personally for Cobb to stay, like he did with Jones. And unless Cobb is willing to possibly take less to stay with a hall of fame QB and a winning team...... I think Cobb will be gone soon. Hope Im wrong. But I know the defense is going to have so many keepers, Cobb cant get 8 or 9 million, let alone 10. sorry. Rodgers and Jordy are 30+ alone.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With our defense becoming more of a priority in recent years. ...Rodgers and Jordy are 30+ alone.
One of those IS the franchise QB, though. Shields and CM3 are $23+Mil, alone.

I agree that TT's most consistent successes are WR, but I don't think the league-leading TD WR, who's only 24 and a quality individual (from all reports out there) will be allowed to walk away.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of those IS the franchise QB, though. Shields and CM3 are $23+Mil, alone.

I agree that TT's most consistent successes are WR, but I don't think the league-leading TD WR, who's only 24 and a quality individual (from all reports out there) will be allowed to walk away.

Agree that replacing him 100% with a draft pick is near impossible...... That said , when I mentioned the first time that Jenning could be let go with Cobb on the roster, nobody agreed. jenning is a great WR. Most NFL WRs are great WRs.... On the Vikings they dont look as good. In GB they look great..... So never say never. right?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts