Cobb's contract year

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the drops against Oakland to unnoticeable in camp, I wonder how he will perform in such a crucial season for him...

Could an off year result in the Packers not resigning him?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
doubt we can call it an off year just yet.....maybe he is just warming up (hope so). I agree about the oakland game, but then again I hope he was just having a bad day, since everyone has one of those once in a while.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This will be Cobb's breakout season. The guy is phenomenal.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
IMO a healthy Cobb leads team in catches this year. The last thing I am worrying about right now is Cobb dropping the ball.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way Arod spreads the ball around...... not many of our guys could hope for 100 or 100+

Hasn't had a 100 catch season yet. He'll be recognized as a star by the end of the season by everyone, not just Packers fans. I hope.

I think Cobb could catch 100 balls

He had 80 in 2012 with Jennings, Jones, and Finley still around. (Driver too, but he didn't contribute much his last year).

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I think Cobb could catch 100 balls

He had 80 in 2012 with Jennings, Jones, and Finley still around. (Driver too, but he didn't contribute much his last year).

This is true, not saying he couldnt...... but 80 is actually a long ways from 100. 20 catches would be 3 games worth of action basically. With our guys, Arod does not play favorite. I would rather have several guys with 50-60 catches then have just one ball hog (dez) that get the majority of the throws. That is more for the stats freaks or fantasy football guys.

Last edited:

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the lights come on 18 will be ready to ball out. The only thing I want/need to see out of Cobb is health and he has that as of this post. He is supremely talented and I am sure 12 isn't losing any sleep worrying about whether or not 18 comes to play come Seattle and beyond. He is a humble guy and said himself he hasn't earned the big contract yet. This season he will show his true value and be a huge part of the upcoming Lombardi trophy celebration. Sit back and enjoy watching Randall torch DB's and LB's alike.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is true, not saying he couldnt...... but 80 is actually a long ways from 100. 20 catches would be 3 games worth of action basically. With our guys, Arod does not play favorite. I would rather have several guys with 50-60 catches then have just one ball hog (dez) that get the majority of the throws. That is more for the stats freaks or fantasy football guys.
Yeah, I don't care who catches the ball or how many times. Forget about 100 catches.
All I care about is that they catch the ball and what they do with it afterwards.
How about 100 caught passes that result in touchdowns in one game! :roflmao:

H

HardRightEdge

To my eye, up until this preseason, Cobb's always looked like a guy who's just having fun out there. This preseason, he's looked tentative.

I'd like to think it's just preseason risk management by a vet secure in his position. Cobb has been injured before, runs a lot of routes in the danger zone, and is working his contract year. I'd cut him slack on this lackluster preseason.

As far as drops are concerned, he's had somewhat high counts in the past, perhaps clouded by the obsession with Finley's issues. Current concerns are just a replay of last season's:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/79632/packers-need-cobb-to-eliminate-drops

Until proven otherwise, it should be assumed once the money games begin, he'll return to his gamer self.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
IMO a healthy Cobb leads team in catches this year. The last thing I am worrying about right now is Cobb dropping the ball.
I truly hope Nelson leads the team in receptions and yards this year. He's already under long term contract.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I truly hope Nelson leads the team in receptions and yards this year. He's already under long term contract.

I do too and there both gonna get many catches I just have a feeling Cobb is going to get more of what they call "short running play throws" in this hurry up offense.

H

HardRightEdge

I was surprised when I looked this up...Lacy's 35 catches last season were the most by a Packer running back since Ahman Green in 2006.

I'm looking for Lacy to go 50+ catches this season noting (1) these Brees-like check downs Rodgers has been throwing in lieu of extending plays this preseason and (2) Lacy's good at it.

This should be an incremental add to the spread-it-around dilution of an any one WR's targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
doubt we can call it an off year just yet.....maybe he is just warming up (hope so). I agree about the oakland game, but then again I hope he was just having a bad day, since everyone has one of those once in a while.
Never said he was having an off year. I dont put a ton of stock into anything yet when it involves vets, I was merely asking if he does have an off year would it be possible that the packers pass on signing him

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I was surprised when I looked this up...Lacy's 35 catches last season were the most by a Packer running back since Ahman Green in 2006.

I'm looking for Lacy to go 50+ catches this season noting (1) these Brees-like check downs Rodgers has been throwing in lieu of extending plays this preseason and (2) Lacy's good at it.

This should be an incremental add to the spread-it-around dilution of an any one WR's targets.

Totally agreed, HRE. I think GB should focus on getting Lacy out in the flat as often as possible- designed plays, not just as a check-down option. Get him one-on-one with a LB out in space. I like those odds.

H

HardRightEdge

Totally agreed, HRE. I think GB should focus on getting Lacy out in the flat as often as possible- designed plays, not just as a check-down option. Get him one-on-one with a LB out in space. I like those odds.
Lacy's going to get a lot of touches. I trust Thompson will find a competent running back for practice squad now that Neal is on IR. The way Harris (hell bent for leather) and Starks (upright) run, and with their injury histories, we might need to go 4 deep.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Lacy's going to get a lot of touches. I trust Thompson will find a competent running back for practice squad now that Neal is on IR. The way Harris (hell bent for leather) and Starks (upright) run, and with their injury histories, we might need to go 4 deep.

With TT's good luck with RB's lately, he may just want to start searching more used car dealerships, we just might get another gem. lol

Pack-12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People talk about our system and how Rodgers spreads the ball around. While that is true, lets not make excuses for Cobb. While it may be true that WR's haven't been breaking 100 catches in our system, they have been getting 1000+ receiving yards and lots of TD's, as I mentioned earlier. And there has been talk about how we are so loaded at the WR position, but lets be honest, our WR corps is not what it used to be. In 2012, we had Jennings-Nelson-Jones-Cobb-Driver-Boykin. Now THAT'S a WR corps. This year we have something like Nelson-Cobb-Boykin-Adams-Janis-Dorsey? 3 of those guys are severely lacking experience. And lets not forget the TE position. We don't have Finley anymore, so we should be depending even more on the WR's. There are no excuses for Cobb this year. It's time to put it all together.

I really don't think we're too far off from where we were in 2012. 2012 Driver was completely done though having an experienced vet like that at the back of the roster isn't a BAD thing, 2012 Cobb and Boykin were not anywhere near 2014 Cobb and Boykin. The only real downgrade between the two seasons is from Jennings-Cobb at #2 which if Cobb stays healthy probably isn't too much. Jordy is as good as ever and Boykin showed last year he's probably on the level of Jones. It remains to be seen what Adams and Janis will bring but I wouldn't say there is any less potential there than we had in Cobb and Boykin in 2012.

Members online

Latest posts