1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Cobb's contract year

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Aug 26, 2014.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    From the drops against Oakland to unnoticeable in camp, I wonder how he will perform in such a crucial season for him...

Could an off year result in the Packers not resigning him?

2. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,456
    doubt we can call it an off year just yet.....maybe he is just warming up (hope so). I agree about the oakland game, but then again I hope he was just having a bad day, since everyone has one of those once in a while.

3. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +1,232
    I am not worried. It's pre-season. Cobb will show up come game time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +562
    I think an off year could result in the Packers signing him.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,456
    agree that could result in a cheaper signing..... but I don't want that to come at the expense of an "off year"

6. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    This will be Cobb's breakout season. The guy is phenomenal.

7. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,456
    How much further can he break out? lol

8. brandon2348

brandon2348 GO PACK GO!

Ratings:
    +441
    IMO a healthy Cobb leads team in catches this year. The last thing I am worrying about right now is Cobb dropping the ball.

9. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Hasn't had a 100 catch season yet. He'll be recognized as a star by the end of the season by everyone, not just Packers fans. I hope.

10. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,456
    The way Arod spreads the ball around...... not many of our guys could hope for 100 or 100+

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Good point.

12. Carl

Carl Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,922
    I think Cobb could catch 100 balls

He had 80 in 2012 with Jennings, Jones, and Finley still around. (Driver too, but he didn't contribute much his last year).

13. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,456
    This is true, not saying he couldnt...... but 80 is actually a long ways from 100. 20 catches would be 3 games worth of action basically. With our guys, Arod does not play favorite. I would rather have several guys with 50-60 catches then have just one ball hog (dez) that get the majority of the throws. That is more for the stats freaks or fantasy football guys.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. SoonerPack

SoonerPack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +376
    When the lights come on 18 will be ready to ball out. The only thing I want/need to see out of Cobb is health and he has that as of this post. He is supremely talented and I am sure 12 isn't losing any sleep worrying about whether or not 18 comes to play come Seattle and beyond. He is a humble guy and said himself he hasn't earned the big contract yet. This season he will show his true value and be a huge part of the upcoming Lombardi trophy celebration. Sit back and enjoy watching Randall torch DB's and LB's alike.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Forget Favre

Forget Favre Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,800
    Yeah, I don't care who catches the ball or how many times. Forget about 100 catches.
    All I care about is that they catch the ball and what they do with it afterwards.
    How about 100 caught passes that result in touchdowns in one game! :roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,714
    To my eye, up until this preseason, Cobb's always looked like a guy who's just having fun out there. This preseason, he's looked tentative.

I'd like to think it's just preseason risk management by a vet secure in his position. Cobb has been injured before, runs a lot of routes in the danger zone, and is working his contract year. I'd cut him slack on this lackluster preseason.

As far as drops are concerned, he's had somewhat high counts in the past, perhaps clouded by the obsession with Finley's issues. Current concerns are just a replay of last season's:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/79632/packers-need-cobb-to-eliminate-drops

Until proven otherwise, it should be assumed once the money games begin, he'll return to his gamer self.

• Like Like x 1
  17. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +454
    I truly hope Nelson leads the team in receptions and yards this year. He's already under long term contract.

18. brandon2348

brandon2348 GO PACK GO!

Ratings:
    +441
    I do too and there both gonna get many catches I just have a feeling Cobb is going to get more of what they call "short running play throws" in this hurry up offense.

19. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,714
    I was surprised when I looked this up...Lacy's 35 catches last season were the most by a Packer running back since Ahman Green in 2006.

I'm looking for Lacy to go 50+ catches this season noting (1) these Brees-like check downs Rodgers has been throwing in lieu of extending plays this preseason and (2) Lacy's good at it.

This should be an incremental add to the spread-it-around dilution of an any one WR's targets.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    Never said he was having an off year. I dont put a ton of stock into anything yet when it involves vets, I was merely asking if he does have an off year would it be possible that the packers pass on signing him

21. PFanCan

Ratings:
    +1,232
    It's not the quantity of catches that matter on this offense. It's what each player does once they have the ball...

YAC YAC YAC.

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. PFanCan

Ratings:
    +1,232
    Totally agreed, HRE. I think GB should focus on getting Lacy out in the flat as often as possible- designed plays, not just as a check-down option. Get him one-on-one with a LB out in space. I like those odds.

• Like Like x 1
  23. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,714
    Lacy's going to get a lot of touches. I trust Thompson will find a competent running back for practice squad now that Neal is on IR. The way Harris (hell bent for leather) and Starks (upright) run, and with their injury histories, we might need to go 4 deep.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,456
    With TT's good luck with RB's lately, he may just want to start searching more used car dealerships, we just might get another gem. lol

25. Pack-12

Pack-12 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +79
    I really don't think we're too far off from where we were in 2012. 2012 Driver was completely done though having an experienced vet like that at the back of the roster isn't a BAD thing, 2012 Cobb and Boykin were not anywhere near 2014 Cobb and Boykin. The only real downgrade between the two seasons is from Jennings-Cobb at #2 which if Cobb stays healthy probably isn't too much. Jordy is as good as ever and Boykin showed last year he's probably on the level of Jones. It remains to be seen what Adams and Janis will bring but I wouldn't say there is any less potential there than we had in Cobb and Boykin in 2012.

• Disagree Disagree x 1