Bill Schroeder to retire as a Packer

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://sheboyganpress.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080522/PKR01/80522051/1989

Former wide receiver Bill Schroeder, who was with the Green Bay Packers from 1997-2201, has informed the club of his decision to retire with the Packers, General Manager Ted Thompson said today.

“Bill Schroeder was a productive player for us on the field and contributed greatly to our efforts in the local community,” Thompson said. “He was a local boy who made good, and we’re pleased to welcome Bill as a member of our alumni.”

A native of Sheboygan and a graduate of the University of Wisconsin–La Crosse, Schroeder played eight seasons in the National Football League, including stints in Detroit (2002-03) and Tampa Bay (2004). In his five seasons with the Packers, he played in 74 games and made 225 catches for 3,435 yards and 20 touchdowns.

“It was a great privilege to have played for the Packers for the majority of my NFL career,” Schroeder said. “I am honored that the Green Bay Packers have allowed me to end my playing days as a member of one of the greatest franchises in professional sports. I look forward to my continued relationship with the team and helping them and the community in any way possible.”

Schroeder was often disappointing as a receiver, but he had his moments, and for a season or two he was a very good returner.

Some of our younger fans may not know him. He was from Wisconsin and played at Div-III UW-La Crosse. He was a converted track star and had a pretty long career in the NFL.

The rage he would often bring out in Holmgren was quite a sight to behold.

NormaL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I met Bill a year ago at a Bears vs. Packers softball game. He's a really cool guy and boy can he get heckled by the bears fans (I live in Illinois). I was actually wearing my Shroeder jersey the day of the game and I thought he was going to have a heart attack when he seen somebody wearing it. lol To say the least he was more than happy to sign my jersey for me.

btw, the ex packer players destroyed the bears in the softball game along with getting the entire crowd to root for them because of the fun and comedy they displayed on the field that day. Was a great time.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He wasn't an extremely talented guy, but he gave what he had.
I remember Holmgren......I think he grabbed Schroeder by the facemask one time......he was MAD!

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schroeder is my only true Packer connection. I went to college with him, during his track career. He played wide out for one season at UW-L and was obviously good at it.

Bill was proof that white men can jump. And yes, I remember the Holgrem moments. :)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did have 3 straight good years from '99-01.
In '99, he surpassed the magical 1000 yards receiving.
In '01, he caught 9 TDs.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Schroeder is my only true Packer connection. I went to college with him, during his track career. He played wide out for one season at UW-L and was obviously good at it.

Bill was proof that white men can jump. And yes, I remember the Holgrem moments. :)
I'm a UWL grad, 1980.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I met Bill a year ago at a Bears vs. Packers softball game. He's a really cool guy and boy can he get heckled by the bears fans (I live in Illinois). I was actually wearing my Shroeder jersey the day of the game and I thought he was going to have a heart attack when he seen somebody wearing it. lol To say the least he was more than happy to sign my jersey for me.

btw, the ex packer players destroyed the bears in the softball game along with getting the entire crowd to root for them because of the fun and comedy they displayed on the field that day. Was a great time.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Thats pretty cool. Sounds like fun times. 8)

Latest posts