Bears studs and Duds

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds
Coach Fox. Ok, this isn't a Dud for the Packers, but Fox just took the trophy away from McCarthy for the worst challenge-caller-ever.
With Cutler gone, somebody on the Bears has to be looking out for our interests.

Refresh my memory, what was McCarthy's worse challenge?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Adams, Daniels, Perry, 2nd half Hundley, Williams, buggy

Duds: Vogel, Davis, 1st half Hundley, HHCD, Randall

This was a game that seemed to turn on its end. All of the sudden 7 started throwing darts. Strange and hopeful. The D played pretty well in the 3rd, and is showing some signs of spark. Difficult to put a label on this team. Too unpredictable at this point. The run game did pay some dividends. Which team shows up next week? Jekyll and Hyde. The D when it looks as if they are turning the corner will go into prevent and give up the world. Odd. About time Buggy decided to put his purse down and join the shoutbox. LOL

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They ran a couple of pass rush sets against the Bears with Perry and Brooks on the edge, Daniels as the single down lineman, and Matthews standing up inside. It looked pretty decent.

It has to be selective because you can run against it, but at least it puts in the game the 4 best pass rushers on the roster.

I just don't think Matthews in the middle as a staple will work. It didn't before and there's little reason to think it would now. He's a back side run defender, not a guy to take on runners in the hole. In coverage, he doesn't run that 4.58 pro day number anymore.

I don't see a way around the Martinez/Ryan base run sell-out or the Martinez/Burnett or Martinez/Jones combo to add a speed guy for nickel/dime.

Could see if Biegel can play in the middle on passing downs, move Perry to d-end, and put Matthews and Brooks on the outside. Call it the 44 rush...because you have your 4 best pass rushers on the field at the same time.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone seen Dean Lowery? Maybe I am missing him on the field during his 270 snaps, which is just 27 less than Mike Daniels.

12 combined tackles and 1/2 a sack. Is he doing something that I have been missing?

H

HardRightEdge

Could see if Biegel can play in the middle on passing downs, move Perry to d-end, and put Matthews and Brooks on the outside. Call it the 44 rush...because you have your 4 best pass rushers on the field at the same time.
That's an interesting proposition. In looking at the college tape I had Biegel pegged for ILB and I think that's where he'll end up eventually. Now? That's problematic since he hasn't practiced it or much of anything at all since he got here. I don't think he'd know what he's doing out there. ILB in this defense, especially playing zone, is the toughest position to learn

H

HardRightEdge

Anyone seen Dean Lowery? Maybe I am missing him on the field during his 270 snaps, which is just 27 less than Mike Daniels.

12 combined tackles and 1/2 a sack. Is he doing something that I have been missing?
He's decent against the run. Not much to speak of in the pass rush. Recall he was nicknamed T-Rex for his very short arms. 31" I think was the measurement. A guard or center can pass block punch him and he has trouble punching back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He's decent against the run. Not much to speak of in the pass rush. Recall he was nicknamed T-Rex for his very short arms. 31" I think was the measurement. A guard or center can pass block punch him and he has trouble punching back.

So are we calling him a "mid level bust"? :cautious:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's an interesting proposition. In looking at the college tape I had Biegel pegged for ILB and I think that's where he'll end up eventually. Now? That's problematic since he hasn't practiced it or much of anything at all since he got here. I don't think he'd know what he's doing out there. ILB in this defense, especially playing zone, is the toughest position to learn

I am actually starting to wonder if Linebackers coming out of Wisconsin are similar to some of the RB's that came out and failed, a product of a very good system. I hope that doesn't apply to Biegel. If you follow the Badgers, this year they lost one of their best LB's before the start of the season and then another one along the way. Despite losing 2 real good player, every week, seems like no matter who is in there at LB, they are making the highlight reels.

I haven't been able to watch TJ Watt play yet, how is he doing in his first year? I see his stats of 4 sacks, but that doesn't mean much to me, especially since half of them were against the Browns in week 1.

H

HardRightEdge

I am actually starting to wonder if Linebackers coming out of Wisconsin are similar to some of the RB's that came out and failed, a product of a very good system. I hope that doesn't apply to Biegel. If you follow the Badgers, this year they lost one of their best LB's before the start of the season and then another one along the way. Despite losing 2 real good player, every week, seems like no matter who is in there at LB, they are making the highlight reels.

I haven't been able to watch TJ Watt play yet, how is he doing in his first year? I see his stats of 4 sacks, but that doesn't mean much to me, especially since half of them were against the Browns in week 1.
I have not seen TJ Watt play. As for the Badgers, I know next to nothing about what goes on in the college football season. It just doesn't interest me in the way that AAA baseball doesn't interest me. I might watch a Northwestern game or two, maybe the national championship game, that's about it. Around draft time I'll look at tape though less than I used to since Thompson keeps drafting the wrong guys in the upper rounds making it a waste of time. Now I mostly just check 'em out after the Packers pick them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have not seen TJ Watt play. As for the Badgers, I know next to nothing about what goes on in the college football season. I just doesn't interest me like AAA baseball doesn't interest me. I might watch a Northwestern game or two, maybe the national championship game, that's about it. Around draft time I'll look at tape though less than I used to since Thompson keeps drafting the wrong guys making it a waste of time.

You are missing out on one REALLY solid well coached defense in this years Badger team. They gave up a total of 66 yds and 5 first downs against an Iowa offense who the previous week put up 55 points, 487 yds and 24 first downs against a very good Ohio State team.

The Badger defense allowed 25 yards on 26 rushing attempts, who does that?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not full time, just in those situations where you know the other team has to pass, and you're needing to get pressure on the QB. If you remember AJ Hawk came in as an OLB and got moved to the inside like his third year and stayed there for a long time . Biegel seems to be a way better athlete than Hawk was so I think
He can do it.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Against the Bears I think Kenny Clark had two tackles. Based on just stats, looks like a poor game. Watching the game, you would see that Clark shut down their run offense.

Lowry is doing fine. He's not great, he's certainly not bad. He holds his spot well, and takes up blockers. DL in the scheme we run aren't going to get a ton of stats. Gotta watch the tape.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He was a pick from the bottom of the 4th. round.
Actually he was the first pick on day three which is the top of the 4th round.
I would not call a decent rotational run defender a "bust" from that draft position.
Does that change your opinion. It doesn't change mine. 4th rounder = gem if a hit, journeyman if not.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are missing out on one REALLY solid well coached defense in this years Badger team. They gave up a total of 66 yds and 5 first downs against an Iowa offense who the previous week put up 55 points, 487 yds and 24 first downs against a very good Ohio State team.

The Badger defense allowed 25 yards on 26 rushing attempts, who does that?
I happened to catch the Packers Live show where Larry Mccarren breaks down a few plays last week. He chose to highlight Biegel and was very impressed with his debut. He showed Biegel making the stops that kept the lion out of the end zone on those two goal line plays. That was Vince's first game as a pro.... hoping he will continue to impress.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jamaal Williams, Perry, Adams, Hundley, Oline, Cobb, are studs.

Not doing duds because this season is too gloomy to concentrate on duds.

All the studs you listed. - especially Adams with the one-armed fourth quarter catch. That was big.

Duds: Injuries to Aaron Jones, Ty Montgomery. The upside is that we got to see Jamaal Williams play meaningful minutes, and he made the most of them.

Longsnapper/holder on botched FG attempt. Brent Goode is on his way back, hopefully that will fix it.

Kevin King's missed tackle late in the 4th quarter - That stuff dives me nuts. Basic fundamentals.

Using up all your timeouts up because we can't get a play in on time. Seriously? Week 10?

I don't want to complain too much because a win is win - especially against dabears.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually he was the first pick on day three which is the top of the 4th round.
Does that change your opinion. It doesn't change mine. 4th rounder = gem if a hit, journeyman if not.
No, Lowry was the 137th pick in the draft. He was the 39th. pick in the 4th. round.

Yes, the assessment is the same whether top or bottom of the 4th. round.

H

HardRightEdge

I lost track with the Biegel discussion.
Don't do that. ;)

We don't know what Biegel is yet. He's hardly played or practiced. I don't think he's going to get more than a smattering of defensive snaps for now. He's 4th. or 5th. on the OLB depth chart.

This past week, it was 6 snaps on D, 13 on special teams. Fackrell had 18 defensive snaps. Biegel might get a few more on D if he starts to show more than Fackrell which would not be that hard. Still and all, with Matthews, Perry and Brooks healthy (or healthy enough), there's not going to be all that much to look at this season.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've seen him but haven't seen him do anything.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Adams, Daniels, Perry, 2nd half Hundley, Williams, buggy

Duds: Vogel, Davis, 1st half Hundley, HHCD, Randall

This was a game that seemed to turn on its end. All of the sudden 7 started throwing darts. Strange and hopeful. The D played pretty well in the 3rd, and is showing some signs of spark. Difficult to put a label on this team. Too unpredictable at this point. The run game did pay some dividends. Which team shows up next week? Jekyll and Hyde. The D when it looks as if they are turning the corner will go into prevent and give up the world. Odd. About time Buggy decided to put his purse down and join the shoutbox. LOL

How was Randall a dud?

He gave up one short completion all game.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
With Cutler gone, somebody on the Bears has to be looking out for our interests.

Refresh my memory, what was McCarthy's worse challenge?

There was one red flag that MM threw that Jordy picked up and tried to hide from the officials.

On another game, MM called a challenge on a 1st and goal from the 1/2 yard line that he thought might have gotten in (but didn't). This was early in the game and ended up wasting a timeout which then resulted in time running out at half with the Packers trying to get a field goal.

He's been pretty bad with his decision to throw that flag. We can disagree on this.

Members online

Latest posts