Bad news for the Vikings

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel like you completely glossing over Walsh.
Not glossing over. I understand fully how his misses even this year have been problematic. I just take the global view that he was a good kicker, I don't seem him on a big downward spiral, and expect that he will return to being solid at some point this season. No doubt that he is a concern right now but I expect that to change.

As for turnovers, they certainly won't continue at the current pace. Think about all of the times that Clay Matthews or others started out on pace to notch 30 or 40 sacks in a season. It balances out, but this is still a good defense as Captain stated and will probably win the turnover battle more than not this season if injuries don't change the picture.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not glossing over. I understand fully how his misses even this year have been problematic. I just take the global view that he was a good kicker, I don't seem him on a big downward spiral, and expect that he will return to being solid at some point this season. No doubt that he is a concern right now but I expect that to change.

As for turnovers, they certainly won't continue at the current pace. Think about all of the times that Clay Matthews or others started out on pace to notch 30 or 40 sacks in a season. It balances out, but this is still a good defense as Captain stated and will probably win the turnover battle more than not this season if injuries don't change the picture.

The thing with Walsh is that he has struggle the last 2 plus years. His numbers were actually decent last year until seeing he missed 4 extra points. He is actually more accurate on super long kicks than short ones. in 2014 and now this year he is struggling. So I would say the trend has already been set.

No doubt they will win the turnover battle more often than not just pointing that games will become closer as that stat changes. The other crazy stat that seems bound to change is that the Vikings currently have as many defensive/special teams tds as they do offensive tds. Talk about opportunistic and winning all three parts of the game

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the title of the thread the Bridgewater injury may have been a blessing in disguise for the Vikings. Bradford is simply a better qb and much more able to win games with his arm. It cost them picks for sure but there in a better place to weather the AP injury and offensive line woes. Good job by their gm and scouts to see something in Bradford he had not shown consistently

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I agree about Minnesota's turnovers. In my opinion, if we avoid one of Rodgers' turnovers last Sunday Night, we win the game. Turnover differential to me is the single most important statistic in football.

Things I will be interested to see with Minnesota:
1. Can they continue to win the turnover battle by 2+
2. Can Bradford stay healthy
3. Is Stephon Diggs really that good
4. Do teams come up with how to scheme them

And depending upon these answers, how do they respond in terms of W/L.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is amazing how a great defense changes things. Right now the Vikings offense has produced 43 points. Their defense has given up 40. So their offense has only scored 3 more points than their elite defense has given up.

The Packers offense which has not been great has put up 75 points just for comparison. Our defense has just been a little worse :)

Edit - I realize I didn't take into account number of drives so that could make these numbers look different

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm done crushing on the Vikings and getting back to my Packers.....see you in December Queens....hoping by then its a just a game that helps determine if you are in the top 5 or the top 10......of the draft. :whistling:

D

Deleted member 6794

So if the Vikings drop to even +1.5 the rest of the way (which would tie them for best in the last decade) that would be a full turnover less per game. They could still have won all their games with that, so maybe it isnt that big of a deal. I wouldnt be surprised to see the Vikings average +1 a game for the rest of the year and if they do that they will win much more than they lose

There will most likely be some games in which the Vikings lose the turnover battle and don't benefit from a huge special teams play. Their offense is probably not good enough to carry the team on a day like that.

Last week the offense took the night off :(

As well as Damarious Randall.

Is Stephon Diggs really that good

If he's not covered by Randall I expect his stat line to be closer to the one he put up in Carolina more often (four catches for 40 yards).

It is amazing how a great defense changes things. Right now the Vikings offense has produced 43 points. Their defense has given up 40. So their offense has only scored 3 more points than their elite defense has given up.

The Packers offense which has not been great has put up 75 points just for comparison. Our defense has just been a little worse :)

Edit - I realize I didn't take into account number of drives so that could make these numbers look different

During the first two weeks of the season the Vikings offense ranked 27th in the league in points per drive at 1.45. The Packers were 15th at 1.95.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is time to give the Vikings credit as a pretty damn good team.
And yes, better than the Packers.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree about Minnesota's turnovers. In my opinion, if we avoid one of Rodgers' turnovers last Sunday Night, we win the game. Turnover differential to me is the single most important statistic in football.

More important than point differential? :D

I have to admit that it seems I was completely about the Vikings. Currently they look like the team to beat in the NFC.

Gee WIMM, even when you are admitting you were wrong you can't admit that you were wrong. :D

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Diggs was the surprise of the WR corps last year. He didn't light up the NFL but turned into their top receiver as a rookie, which wasn't saying much for their squad. He's progressed as most fans would hope a second year player would. Like all of the Vikings WRs, he'd be a decent #2 on most teams with an established #1. The Vikings haven't brought out their #1 pick in Laquon Treadwell yet, as it seems that he's struggling with running routes in practice. Then again, Zimmer planted the same seed with Diggs last year and then had a nice flower bloom when he removed the lid mid-season. I assume he's playing the same game with Treadwell, to prove that he deserves to be activated and taking snaps.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it is time to give the Vikings credit as a pretty damn good team.
And yes, better than the Packers.

Absolutely agree that the Vikings are a pretty good team but I´m not ready to declare them a better one than the Packers yet.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no measure to support any other conclusion.

They won the division last year. They beat us in the first game this year. They are leading the NFC north again. They are ahead of us in many statistical categories. According to numerous posts throughout this forum, just about every other coach in the league (including Zimmer) is better than McCarthy and Capers.

I'm not ready to concede the division yet but we have an uphill climb to get there. The Vikings aren't run by a clown school anymore. Zimmer is has a Bud Grant quality to him that commands respect from players and fans alike. Doug Pederson might be in the early lead for coach of the year because he got Wentz at QB, but Zimmer has done way more with way less than any other coach and will be in the running.

All of this means it will be that much sweeter to beat them at the end of the season and hopefully in the playoffs as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no measure to support any other conclusion.

They won the division last year. They beat us in the first game this year. They are leading the NFC north again. They are ahead of us in many statistical categories. According to numerous posts throughout this forum, just about every other coach in the league (including Zimmer) is better than McCarthy and Capers.

I'm not ready to concede the division yet but we have an uphill climb to get there. The Vikings aren't run by a clown school anymore. Zimmer is has a Bud Grant quality to him that commands respect from players and fans alike. Doug Pederson might be in the early lead for coach of the year because he got Wentz at QB, but Zimmer has done way more with way less than any other coach and will be in the running.

All of this means it will be that much sweeter to beat them at the end of the season and hopefully in the playoffs as well.

It´s still early in the season and I´m waiting on how the Vikings will perform once they don´t win the turnover battle by at least two before declaring them a better team than the Packers.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/p...ee-year-transformation-of-the-vikings-defense

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that outside of the Vikings game, we have only played against the Jaguars and depleted Lions defenses. The Vikings played the Panthers top defense and the Titans, who are about average. There's more to offensive stats than just the offense. I expect that Bradford will only continue to improve his timing and knowledge of the playbook as the season progresses.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that outside of the Vikings game, we have only played against the Jaguars and depleted Lions defenses. The Vikings played the Panthers top defense and the Titans, who are about average. There's more to offensive stats than just the offense. I expect that Bradford will only continue to improve his timing and knowledge of the playbook as the season progresses.

Did you just call the Panthers a top defense? The defense that gave up 300 yards to Julio Jones and 48 to the Flavors and 24 to the lowly 49ers. That is not a good defense right now and it needs more help than the Packers in the secondary?

Jacksonville is actually giving up less yards per play than any defense the Vikings have played. The Giants are the only team in the top 15 the vikings have played and they were missing most of their secondary.

The Vikings offense definitely could improve but right now it hasn't performed very well against 3 below average defenses and 1 ok but banged up defense

D

Deleted member 6794

Let's not forget that outside of the Vikings game, we have only played against the Jaguars and depleted Lions defenses. The Vikings played the Panthers top defense and the Titans, who are about average.

The Panthers defenses for sure isn't a top defense this season. Furthermore the Vikings offense only put up 13 points against the unit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts