Bad news for the Vikings

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings just cleared the hardest part of their schedule by far, going 3-0 beating us and the reigning NFC champs. The majority of Packers fans on this forum dismissed the Vikings but we are now in a horse race down to the rematch at Lambeau. We are only one game back so no reason to panic, but we both have easy schedules from here on out. The Vikings have control of the NFC North for the foreseeable future this season.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikes look like the team to beat in the NFC right now. This holds true only if Bradford can stay healthy, which is a pretty big *if*. He has played up to his abilities as I think many expected, but he's been more durable and less rattled than expected. They are still a capable team even with Shaun Hill, but I don't think they are playoff contenders with Shaun Hill.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather see the Cubs win it all in my lifetime than to see the Vikings ever even sniff the Super Bowl turf again in my lifetime.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Vikings just cleared the hardest part of their schedule by far, going 3-0 beating us and the reigning NFC champs. The majority of Packers fans on this forum dismissed the Vikings but we are now in a horse race down to the rematch at Lambeau. We are only one game back so no reason to panic, but we both have easy schedules from here on out. The Vikings have control of the NFC North for the foreseeable future this season.

I have to admit that it seems I was completely about the Vikings. Currently they look like the team to beat in the NFC.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I keep being proven wrong by the Vikings so now I am going to say they are the team to beat and hopefully get proven wrong again. The most impressive thing to me is how they simply don't panic. In the first half Carolina controlled that game. The Vikings offense was brutal and their defense was giving up huge chunks of yardage. They were down 10 when they get a punt return for a td and everything changed going into the half. The next half the defense was lights out and the offense strung together a few drives. Zimmer is a heck of a coach. That offense and Blair Walsh still make me wonder but right now they are on top of the NFC in my eyes

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will undoubtedly lose a game or two that they shouldn't, but here is their schedule:

Giants (H)
Texans (H)
Eagles (A)
Bears (A)
Lions (H)
Redskins (A)
Cardinals (H)
Lions (A)
Cowboys (H)
Jaguars (A)
Colts (H)
Packers (A)
Bears (H)

The Eagles, Cowboys, and Packers are their toughest games left with possibly the mortal-looking Cardinals figuring into the mix. We play alot of the same teams but play the Seahawks and Falcons instead of the Texans and Cardinals.

Horse race.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers play the Texans as well in week 13 at Lambeau.
It took me a while to realize what was wrong with what he said. I knew something wasn't kosher. We play Atlanta & Seattle while they play Carolina & Arizona. The other 2 game difference in schedules is we play each other x2. (one remaining)

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They will undoubtedly lose a game or two that they shouldn't, but here is their schedule:

Giants (H)
Texans (H)
Eagles (A)
Bears (A)
Lions (H)
Redskins (A)
Cardinals (H)
Lions (A)
Cowboys (H)
Jaguars (A)
Colts (H)
Packers (A)
Bears (H)

The Eagles, Cowboys, and Packers are their toughest games left with possibly the mortal-looking Cardinals figuring into the mix. We play alot of the same teams but play the Seahawks and Falcons instead of the Texans and Cardinals.

Horse race.

Yeah both teams will lose a game they shouldnt. The Packers will lose a couple because the back end of the defense has been leaky and that will cost us a game. The Vikings will lose a couple because they wont be plus 2 or 3 in turnovers every game and Walsh's issue will cost them. Each team actually has reasons to pump the breaks on them being the best team in the NFC except there isnt a ton of competition. GB lost to Minny so they get the top dog status along with undefeated Philly. After those two the Packers have looked at least as good as anyone else.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing about Walsh is that he has shown that he's a good kicker, and had a good game against Seattle in the playoffs except he blew the money kick. I don't think he's that different than Mason Crosby's abysmal 2012 season. Kickers get into slumps because it's more of a mental game than most other positions in football. All that is to say that I don't see Walsh as being an issue for them.

Their line lost Alex Boone yesterday which means that they are now missing their LT, LG, and RT from their perceived opening day lineup. Bradford, the WRs, and RBs will all need to excel if the line can't hold together. I have zero worries about their defense. They have weaknesses for sure, but Zimmer's fingerprints are all over the place. The sum is better than the parts and they have his toughness. They will keep them in games that other teams would lose.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings are showing signs of being a very good team, but time will tell. They have this habit of the wheels falling of mid season and they turn into the Dramakings.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I am hopeful that the Giants will be able to beat the Vikes next Monday. One because it obviously helps us in the standings, but two I don't want to face a 2-2 Giants team that will be desperate to avoid starting 2-3. They have to keep up with the Cowboys and the Eagles, so hopefully the Giants can knock them off, and then we can bring them back down to Earth on SNF.

Like I said, the Giants worry me. Glad that we get two weeks to prepare for them. That offense has the potential to explode at any time and I have a whole lot of respect for Steve Spagnuolo

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but I am impressed by the Vikings. We all knew their defense last year was really good, but I think so far they are even better this year. Then losing TB, AP and key cogs in their OL and not really skipping a beat with what we all thought was a below average offense, impressive. Sure leading the NFL in turnovers helps, but at the end of the day, I don't think the Vikings are using smoke and mirrors to be 3-0, they sadly.....are legit.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am hopeful that the Giants will be able to beat the Vikes next Monday. One because it obviously helps us in the standings, but two I don't want to face a 2-2 Giants team that will be desperate to avoid starting 2-3. They have to keep up with the Cowboys and the Eagles, so hopefully the Giants can knock them off, and then we can bring them back down to Earth on SNF.

I'm fine with a really long, sloppy, tiring slugfest that is decided on the last play of overtime. A game that leaves both teams wondering what went wrong on both sides of the balls and a bit banged up as well. But then again, I am a Packer fan :D

Always nice to come off your bye week, rested, playing at home, against a team that just played on MNF the previous week. :coffee:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but I am impressed by the Vikings. We all knew their defense last year was really good, but I think so far they are even better this year. Then losing TB, AP and key cogs in their OL and not really skipping a beat with what we all thought was a below average offense, impressive. Sure leading the NFL in turnovers helps, but at the end of the day, I don't think the Vikings are using smoke and mirrors to be 3-0, they sadly.....are legit.

I most definitely didn't mean to imply the turnovers was smoke and mirrors. It is the sign of a good team. Although there obviously questions as to if they will win games when the lose the turn over battle just like any team

D

Deleted member 6794

I most definitely didn't mean to imply the turnovers was smoke and mirrors. It is the sign of a good team. Although there obviously questions as to if they will win games when the lose the turn over battle just like any team

With that defense I expect the Vikings to win the turnover battle more often than not though.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing about Walsh is that he has shown that he's a good kicker, and had a good game against Seattle in the playoffs except he blew the money kick. I don't think he's that different than Mason Crosby's abysmal 2012 season. Kickers get into slumps because it's more of a mental game than most other positions in football. All that is to say that I don't see Walsh as being an issue for them.

Their line lost Alex Boone yesterday which means that they are now missing their LT, LG, and RT from their perceived opening day lineup. Bradford, the WRs, and RBs will all need to excel if the line can't hold together. I have zero worries about their defense. They have weaknesses for sure, but Zimmer's fingerprints are all over the place. The sum is better than the parts and they have his toughness. They will keep them in games that other teams would lose.

I feel like you completely glossing over Walsh. Kickers do matter when they stink especially when you play a grind it out style. At one point the Vikings may need to rely on him there is zero reason to have faith in him right now. While they are very good they will have games decided on his kicking and I don't know who would be confident in him. He has been unreliable for a while now.

The Vikings have shown a ton so far. They are winning so many ways but primarily with tough and now opportunistic defense, solid return games and coverage and a passing game that is taking care of the ball moving the chains when it needs too.

D

Deleted member 6794

True. But you would expect their offense to have a turnover one week. I doubt they win the turnover battle by 3 every week right :)

True, I expect their offense to turn the ball over more often over the course of the season as well as the defense not forcing three per game. It will be interesting to see if the Vikings continue to win once that happens.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think the Viking defense is quite as dominant (yet) as the defense we saw out of Denver last year, or the ones we saw in Seattle a few years back, but I kind of look at the 3 teams as a bit similar. Nothing that great on offense, but as long as they don't make critical mistakes, a defense that will keep you in most games.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, I expect their offense to turn the ball over more often over the course of the season as well as the defense not forcing three per game. It will be interesting to see if the Vikings continue to win once that happens.

That really was my main point. Last seasons best was +20, the year before that it was +14. The Vikings are already at +8. That is on pace for =42.5 or something. That is incredible although I thought I read the best ever was +42 by a Redskins team so they have company. +28 is the best in the past decade so the Vikings could conceivable finish right around there which would really impressive.

So if the Vikings drop to even +1.5 the rest of the way (which would tie them for best in the last decade) that would be a full turnover less per game. They could still have won all their games with that, so maybe it isnt that big of a deal. I wouldnt be surprised to see the Vikings average +1 a game for the rest of the year and if they do that they will win much more than they lose

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Viking defense is quite as dominant (yet) as the defense we saw out of Denver last year, or the ones we saw in Seattle a few years back, but I kind of look at the 3 teams as a bit similar. Nothing that great on offense, but as long as they don't make critical mistakes, a defense that will keep you in most games.

I would say Seattle's offense was better than those two. Lynch and Wilson were both very good players at their respective positions

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would say Seattle's offense was better than those two. Lynch and Wilson were both very good players at their respective positions

I agree. Lynch was definitely a weapon and Wilson is a really smart, good game manager, even dating back to his one year at Wisconsin. I looked back at 2013 and 2014 for Seattle and for a team that I remember more for their defense, they did put up some points. The Vikings haven't shown that offensive ability yet, but so far, if I am a Viking fan, I like what Bradford can do for the offense.

Members online

Latest posts