49er Game-- Winners and Losers

Status
Not open for further replies.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
As a 49ers fan I totally agree. He drew a personal foul, and after all his smack talk and ******* Kaepernick's leg all game long - Kaep threw for 69%, 3 touchdowns, 0 interceptions and 412 yards.

Totally clowned.
Really!!! Lets bed realistic here. Kap is going to get his plays. Not sure wher "******* his leg" comes from. We'll see you in January.

TheGiftedApe

TheGiftedApe
Reaction score
How so, what I said was hardly contradictory. Neither Matthews nor Perry aggressively attacked the edges or applied jet/arc rushes. Maybe we saw different things but I saw a lot of classic QB contain with the outside rushers maintaining their positions along the edges of the line.

exactly.

This is the winners and losers thread, lets get back on track over 49er game discussion should go back to that thread.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greatest rookie QB to lose a SB, maybe.

He's the greatest quaterback to have ever played the game in the history of football.

Its a bit early for that.... 1/2 a season and losing the super bowl is hardly in best ever contention. As teams figure out how to defend him, his productivity could go way down. We saw the Pack take away the read option and the run game. Other teams will copy what we did. There are teams out that have bigger pass rush than we do. He well become Micheal Vick as this season wears on.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't zero in on Sitton the whole game, but his three penalties killed three good runs. He's supposed to be our best and most experienced lineman. Justin Smith didn't get a sack, but I sure wouldn't say he got "manhandled".
Two of those holds were bogus, the other was questionable. Meanwhile, we were held on multiple occasions along with the obvious facemask on Lacy.

Speaking of Lacy, he's going to have a huge year.

H

HardRightEdge

How so, what I said was hardly contradictory. Neither Matthews nor Perry aggressively attacked the edges or applied jet/arc rushes. Maybe we saw different things but I saw a lot of classic QB contain with the outside rushers maintaining their positions along the edges of the line.

It doesn't make sense because I doubt the object was to allow the opposing QB 3+ seconds to throw the ball. Second, we were playing zone when they had fewer than 4 wide.

Clay was doing what Clay does. Perry and Neal as well. The latter two only have a bull rush, so it might look like they were in contain. And if you're going to bull rush, it would be nice to walk a blocker back into the QBs face once in a while instead of...never.

Narveson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DB's were atrocious. When Williams let Boldin catch that 3rd down pass in the 4th, I was saying to myself, "ANYONE BUT HIM."

Offense seemed like they were a little inconsistent. I mean, one drive they take it on a 9 play touchdown. Next drive, 3 and out. I know it's the 1st game but it was a little infuriating.

No more Ross on kickoffs.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really!!! Lets bed realistic here. Kap is going to get his plays. Not sure wher "******* his leg" comes from. We'll see you in January.

The cheap shot out of bounds, and there was at least a couple plays where Clay came in practically unguarded and hit Kaepernick for a loss. After one of those plays he got up and started jaw jacking in Kaepernick's face.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Justin Smith flopped on two of those three penalties.

Bill Leavy is an embarrassment. How that idiot still has a job in the NFL is beyond me. His entire crew is massively incompetent. It's as if they simply assumed that must have been holding on any run of more than 5 yards.

H

HardRightEdge

Two of those holds were bogus, the other was questionable. Meanwhile, we were held on multiple occasions along with the obvious facemask on Lacy.

Speaking of Lacy, he's going to have a huge year.

After Lacy's first 4 or so runs going nowhere, Rodgers turned around and motioned "patience" and he ripped off a 10 yard run (called back on one of the Sitton holds). I think he was jacked up early and just slamming the line...not good in a zone blocking scheme. After that, he looked good.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DB's were atrocious. When Williams let Boldin catch that 3rd down pass in the 4th, I was saying to myself, "ANYONE BUT HIM."

Offense seemed like they were a little inconsistent. I mean, one drive they take it on a 9 play touchdown. Next drive, 3 and out. I know it's the 1st game but it was a little infuriating.

No more Ross on kickoffs.
^^^^
This. I'm fine with him on punts, but leave the kickoffs to someone with a brain cell. I say sign Dwyer as a kick returner.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
The cheap shot out of bounds, and there was at least a couple plays where Clay came in practically unguarded and hit Kaepernick for a loss. After one of those plays he got up and started jaw jacking in Kaepernick's face.

Awesome, That's how football should be played. This is a tough game for tough guys. Whimps need not apply.

H

HardRightEdge

One positive I take away from this game...with the exception of Boldin vs. a variety of corners and safeties, I think on balance we out-physicaled them. That's a big plus.

OP
OP

12theTruth

One positive I take away from this game...with the exception of Boldin vs. a variety of corners and safeties, I think on balance we out-physicaled them. That's a big plus.

I'd agree except they played smarter when it counted. Brains beats brawn in this case. :)

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The call against Staley was questionable and the call against Matthews was a no brainer. You lost by 6 points anyway. There were also plenty of Packers getting non-calls for holding.

YOu have got to be fvcking kidding me, the SF OL was holding all damn game. It was getting ridiculous the no-calls of holding, and the cut blocks? God don't get me started.

Thank the fact that you were playing at home, otherwise the 9er OL would have received a few more whistles.

Oh I forgot to mention, the 3rd holding call on Sitton was just bogus. We saw the replay and were scratching our heads saying where??? Of course that was a 10-yard run by Lacy. Yep.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense because I doubt the object was to allow the opposing QB 3+ seconds to throw the ball. Second, we were playing zone when they had fewer than 4 wide.

Clay was doing what Clay does. Perry and Neal as well. The latter two only have a bull rush, so it might look like they were in contain. And if you're going to bull rush, it would be nice to walk a blocker back into the QBs face once in a while instead of...never.

Perhaps because of the way he ripped us to shreds last year with his legs. Playing outside QB contain the ends typically do not bull rush aggressively since it makes it more difficult for the defender to then disengage and get lateral if needed. Personally I do think the Defense was too vanilla and could have found more creative ways to dial up pressures, not sure why we didn't see more stunts and twists.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I do think the Defense was too vanilla and could have found more creative ways to dial up pressures, not sure why we didn't see more stunts and twists.

Because stunts, like man coverage, are riskier against a mobile quarterback. They are more likely to get home, but also more likely to result in Kap scrambling for a big gain.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Matthews hit on Kaepernick was obviously a late hit to me, I'm thinking that Mattehws figured there was a good chance he would get called for a late hit anyway (they call late hits on the QB very easily now just look at the end of the Jets Bucs game today) so he decided to make the call worth it with a legitimate late hit that would send a message to Kaepernick. This is just my reasoning for that play.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Pass pro did pretty well tonight, Barclay got minimal help. Lacy in the 3rd. Cobb and Nelson. Rotating fat men, why have we never done this before? Neal at OLB. Daniels and Datone. Swarm tackling was good to see. Shields can run people down. Excellent contain, but had to sacrifice some rush to do it. Perry danced in front of the RT shadowing guys, it was beautiful.

Can we not play zone ever again? Can we please wrap up on tackles? Can we please block for our returners? MD Jennings is NEVER to line up at the LOS again. McMillian is not a deep Safety and should never ever be left deep in single high. Bush is banished to ST, Lattimore too. Hyde is not a mighty hunter. The refs called nothing in the secondary, they pushed off, we held. Everyone caught peeking. Ross is a dud.

Finley broke even, as did Hawk and Brad Jones. Kuhn Kuhned.

Cobb is returning punts
Hyde anybody?

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kaepernick had all day to throw and our defensive secondary was without our best safety, Morgan Burnett, and our best CB, Casey Heyward, and man did it show. Packers' safeties were lost back there and playing way too far off.

And the 49ers were without two of their starting receivers, including their #1.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy is a loser in this game for 2 reasons:

1) obviously for taking the penalty instead of making it 4th and 1.

2) for not knowing the rule that offsetting penalties on a dead ball means the down does not get replayed. McCarthy admitted after the game he didn't know the rule:

"When asked if he was aware of the mistake, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said, "Yes. I mean, I'm aware of it now.""

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I wanted to add Masthay as a winner, for anyone who says our ST sucks, put in ST sucks - Masthay, since this guy is not afraid of taking down the runner.

OP
OP

12theTruth

McCarthy is a loser in this game for 2 reasons:

1) obviously for taking the penalty instead of making it 4th and 1.

2) for not knowing the rule that offsetting penalties on a dead ball means the down does not get replayed. McCarthy admitted after the game he didn't know the rule:

"When asked if he was aware of the mistake, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said, "Yes. I mean, I'm aware of it now.""

I thought in all McCarthy did a nice job of calling plays. He's limited by two basically rookie tackles, one an actual rookie and the other with 4 games of starting experience. His center is undersized and also a liability in the running game. The 49ers are a GREAT short yardage running team and likely would have went for it on 4th and 1. Moving them back wasn't a horrible decision it was a 50/50 decision that has pros and cons.

If you want to be mad at anyone, its Matthews who bailed out the 49ers with his dufus late hit (thankfully for Matthews a 49er retaliated getting him off the hook). Alas the refs made the ultimate gaffe by giving the 49ers an extra down and basically a FREE 4 points.

You hate on McCarthy all you want but a good probability of the 49ers with 1st and Goal inside the 5 may have occurred if McCarthy declined the penalty and set up a 4th and short.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts