49er Game-- Winners and Losers

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This game wasn't as bad as the mood here would make it seem. Yes, the secondary got torched but it was a great deal due to scheme. We were focused completely on shutting down the read option and run game and forced Kaepernick to try to beat us. He did. I do think Hayward and Burnett were sorely missed. McMillian, Jennings, and Hyde struggled badly. I'm not sure the result is the same if we had them or not.Losing always sucks. But we were down 2 key defensive players, did not play our best football, lost the turnover battle, struggled to get stops on 3rd down, - and still played probably the Super Bowl favorites down to the wire on their turf. I'm encouraged at least that I think we showed we can play with these guys and there isn't a need to be intimated if we meet again. Whi. the running lanes weren't there, I thought the pass protection for the most part was adequate giving up just the two sacks. This was one of the best fronts in the league, not the Jacksonville Jaguars. I felt like they held their own for most of the day and certainly weren't a disaster.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`m reading and saw that Mathews was late with a hit and nearly cost us, but I`m also reading that suddenly Mathews is a fool etc etc.... Isn`t it just possible it was first game of the season adrenalin ?, and a need to make a statement ? He was pumped. If he does it every week I`d be concerned but.....

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I`m reading and saw that Mathews was late with a hit and nearly cost us, but I`m also reading that suddenly Mathews is a fool etc etc.... Isn`t it just possible it was first game of the season adrenalin ?, and a need to make a statement ? He was pumped. If he does it every week I`d be concerned but.....
Bill, to me it looked like he wanted to send a message with this tackle and Im fine with it.
Its a contact sport, it happended once and Clay is smart enough not doing it again or at least to wait until we play this clown again. ;)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Bill, to me it looked like he wanted to send a message with this tackle and Im fine with it.
Its a contact sport, it happended once and Clay is smart enough not doing it again or at least to wait until we play this clown again. ;)
My point exactly. I finally saw the highlights and I liked the fire in him. Maybe it`ll rub off on some of the others..lol

PackerFan71

Life on the Edge
Reaction score
Clay gave him a friendly little hello after the fact, and sacked him good aswell like a man possessed great to see. Its a contact sport let the crybaby deal with it if he's man enough.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only problem with the play is the timing of it. There is a time and place for such emotion. It's not on 3rd down when your defense has a chance to either get off the field, or hold them to a field goal. Ultimately, what he did was the difference between the 49ers getting 7 points or 3 points on that drive. In situations like that, you've got to keep your cool.

I'm sure Clay would say the same thing and regrets the play. I'm glad he's a Packer and love the fire and intensity he brings to the defense. You've just got to channel it the right way at the right times and I think he'll learn from it.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
enjoy your ignorance than, Are you on drugs? I'm sure Staely's form would have been great for ON THE FIELD DURING PLAY, except the problem is he was on the packer sideline out of bounds, "Locking up" a player after the play, out of bounds of play.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/penaltysummaries

almsot towards the end, Unsportsmanlike conduct is listed, I'm not sure if your just trolling or if you went full retard, never go full retard. Maybe if Staley had "Locked Him up" in bounds your QB wouldnt have gotten hit.

If your malformed brain requires more examples here you go:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mike-pereira-week-1-live-calls-090813
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-whats-legal-whats-not-whats-just-plain-dirty
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/22448441-419/nfl-week-1-breakdown.html

Had Clay Matthews run onto the 49ers sidelines, and Grabbed Anquan Boldin in between plays by the shoulder pads and held him there do you think they would have called a foul? are you so ignorant as to be blind to obvious circumstance?

Was what Clay Matthews did right?? NOO!!! was it a penatly?? YES!!!! was what joe staley did a penalty?? YES!!!! its the letter of the NFL RULE, if you want to join packer fans in overturning NFL rules than join i welcome you to join us!! you must forget that you are talking to the fan base that went through the Seattle "Fail Mary".

Now had you said "Clay matthews foul was more significant than Joe Staely's foul" I would agree with you, except I dont write the NFL rule book.
Lets also remember that we didn't hear what Staley said. Refs will throw the flag for words. Brawls happen all the time, and nobody ever gets ejected for them. Clay was a moron that play.

My first thought was "I guess we're tough guys now :rolleyes:"

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
My only problem with the play is the timing of it. There is a time and place for such emotion. It's not on 3rd down when your defense has a chance to either get off the field, or hold them to a field goal. Ultimately, what he did was the difference between the 49ers getting 7 points or 3 points on that drive. In situations like that, you've got to keep your cool.

I'm sure Clay would say the same thing and regrets the play. I'm glad he's a Packer and love the fire and intensity he brings to the defense. You've just got to channel it the right way at the right times and I think he'll learn from it.

NO !!! That was not the difference between 7 and 3 points. The refs GAVE them the opportunity for more points. I saw it, the refs saw it, the announcers mentioned it.....why wasnt the double dead ball fouls called correctly? Because the refs just LOVE to F*CK the packers. I think the refs need to be fined for such poor calls and NOT knowing the damn rules that they are supposed to enforce. That should have been two dead ball fouls, 4th down and 2 yards to go, they would have kicked the FG that early on for 3 points, but instead they get a second chance and get 7 points out of the deal, hence = 4 free points.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers O-line was OK, they actually played better than I expected. Besides it usually takes Campen 7-10 games to get the OL to gel.

I thought the DL looked outstanding. I thought both Hawk and Jones played tough physical football.

I thought the CBs played fairly well though Shields still relies too much on his speed.

Safety isn't a concern for me, I suspect that both Jennings/McMillan will look better and more decisive when playing next to a veteran like Morgan Burnett.

OLB, I was pleased with Perry's physical play and I liked what I saw from Neal, he showed some nice quickness and a lot of power. Almost had a sack and would have had one against a less mobile quarterback.

It's been 7 years and they haven't jelled yet, so I'm not holding my breath. The offense played well enough to win, but the killers were the 3rd down plays that our defense couldn't stop. We'll be better this week against Washington.

lol_wut

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets also remember that we didn't hear what Staley said. Refs will throw the flag for words. Brawls happen all the time, and nobody ever gets ejected for them. Clay was a moron that play.

My first thought was "I guess we're tough guys now :rolleyes:"

Yes, because Clay "launching" himself at the same moment Kaepernick first stepped out of bounds, thus the whole thing being simultaneous, means he was a moron that play. Guess what? It's called football. Unless you think Clay is capable of altering his body in mid-air to avoid touching poor, defenseless Colin.

And the toughness thing, they shook that label with the edge they played with yesterday. Or has that goal post been moved too?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Yes, because Clay "launching" himself at the same moment Kaepernick first stepped out of bounds, thus the whole thing being simultaneous, means he was a moron that play. Guess what? It's called football. Unless you think Clay is capable of altering his body in mid-air to avoid touching poor, defenseless Colin.

And the toughness thing, they shook that label with the edge they played with yesterday. Or has that goal post been moved too?
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The thing about a flying clothesline, all you have to do to avoid doing it is move your arm. There was no need to jump, and despite being halfway into the jump motion when Kaep stepped out, the jump itself was avoidable.

Seems like some associate cheap hits like that with toughness. I liked the edge, I did not like the hit. I said we were tough enough last year, and that this whole identity crisis thing we created was bull.

As for the penalty, there should have been another penalty on Matthews, which would have made it 1st and 15 yards closer (Goal?)
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NO !!! That was not the difference between 7 and 3 points. The refs GAVE them the opportunity for more points. I saw it, the refs saw it, the announcers mentioned it.....why wasnt the double dead ball fouls called correctly? Because the refs just LOVE to F*CK the packers. I think the refs need to be fined for such poor calls and NOT knowing the damn rules that they are supposed to enforce. That should have been two dead ball fouls, 4th down and 2 yards to go, they would have kicked the FG that early on for 3 points, but instead they get a second chance and get 7 points out of the deal, hence = 4 free points.

It should have been 1st and goal.

You think Staley deserved the flag merely for getting in Matthews' face after his cheap shot on the QB. But then should Matthews have not gotten an additional flag for throwing punches at Staley?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Staley had him by the face mask first, your argument holds NO weight. I guess you were on the field and heard what was said too? Yeah, thought so.

Also, I guess you have no rebutle to the fact that clay was held 6 times that I personally watched by rewinding my DVR.....how do the refs miss all 6 ? Oh-yeah, same way the missed the proper double dead ball foul call.

Know the rules and make sure your red glasses are off before coming on here to spout off. You don't see any of us on your site.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You think Staley deserved the flag merely for getting in Matthews' face after his cheap shot on the QB. But then should Matthews have not gotten an additional flag for throwing punches at Staley?

We don't exactly what Staley did or said, but that's not to deny that CM's was a very stupid foul, which he himself has now admitted. That's not the way you show tough. Not down in the red zone FFS.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I didn't see any punches thrown. I saw face masks grabbed, but not punches.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Staley had him by the face mask first, your argument holds NO weight. I guess you were on the field and heard what was said too? Yeah, thought so.

Also, I guess you have no rebutle to the fact that clay was held 6 times that I personally watched by rewinding my DVR.....how do the refs miss all 6 ? Oh-yeah, same way the missed the proper double dead ball foul call.

Know the rules and make sure your red glasses are off before coming on here to spout off. You don't see any of us on your site.

Home field advantage. You gotta expect that fraid to say. I couldn't stand some of the no-calls either, meanwhile they whistled Sitton for 3, 2 of which were correct. Same with Boldin's push-off on Williams on that crucial 3rd-down. It's OPI, but refs are not likely to call it.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets see if Finley goes nuts and all Jennings seeing as Rodgers called him out (not by name) for causing the first sack of the game with his mental error. He was supposed to run a route as the primary receiver and he stayed to block thus taking away Rodgers first read.

OP
OP

12theTruth

Home field advantage. You gotta expect that fraid to say. I couldn't stand some of the no-calls either, meanwhile they whistled Sitton for 3, 2 of which were correct. Same with Boldin's push-off on Williams on that crucial 3rd-down. It's OPI, but refs are not likely to call it.

They would have called it had it been defensive PI however.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Retaliation is not allowed, try again.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MM would learn to speak up to the refs it would greatly help the penalty situation. You don't have to be harbaugh *****ing like a madman on every play but before the game or the half you can say watch this guy for holding clay or watch this guy with the cheap shot chip blocking. There is no reason he can't do that.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was generally very pleased with our D-Line. But our secondary is just awful. I get so sick of seeing guys catch uncontested balls. How many times does Boldin have to make a wide open catch before you have someone dedicated to being in his jock?

Offense looked fine IMO, Lacy is gonna be nice and it was nice to see Finley getting some good action. Hopefully he'll have a chance to thrive this season. He's got top 5 TE potential and it'd be nice to see that realized at some point. I was a little disgusted to see only 3 guys get to AR on that last play of the game though.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

I also just noticed something about your post that lets me know you should study up a bit before posting that. No matter how many fouls did or did not occur on clay, you cannot compound penalties. You get to choose one or the other, not add them up.

Plus you are WRONG again. It was 3rd down and 8 yards to go, Kap ran for 6 yards, fight ensued with double dead ball fouls, which DOES NOT constitute a replay of 3rd down because double dead ball fouls are NOT offsetting penalties. It SHOULD HAVE gone to 4th down and 2 yards to go. Being that early on in the game, SF would have kicked a FG....but instead due to stupid refs who dont know their own damn rules, you guys got 4 free points......which changed the tide of the game imo.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If MM would learn to speak up to the refs it would greatly help the penalty situation. You don't have to be harbaugh *****ing like a madman on every play but before the game or the half you can say watch this guy for holding clay or watch this guy with the cheap shot chip blocking. There is no reason he can't do that.

I wonder if it really does help, if I was a referee Id start giving the benefit of the doubt to the opposing team, assuming their Coach is more reasonable. Personally Im surprised that guys like him and Rex Ryan don't get thrown out of games for their antics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts