49er Game-- Winners and Losers

Status
Not open for further replies.

12theTruth

Winners

Defensive Line -- stuffed the 49ers running attack. It's not their fault Capers never really sent in nary a blitz to throw off Kaepernick's 400 yard passing day minus 2 of his top 3 receivers.

Masthay -- Had one bad punt but saved a TD with a fantastic special teams tackle. Capably handled kickoff duties by kicking out of end zone. He will tire if we rely on him to do this week in and week out.

Jordy Nelson- Made the tough catches and was very effective in getting open. Cobb also was pretty effective.

Clay Matthews- Stupid late hit penalty. But amazing in almost every other play. He did miss at least one tackle that I saw. Showing that he is indeed human. :)

Rodgers - Rodgers was very effective after a couple of early miss fires.

Losers

Safeties - Abysmal, pathetic, disgusting - the cornerbacks on the other hand covered very well but once again need to lay a shoulder in on a tackle and improve in that area. Need to improve considering our horrible safety play.

Offensive Line - Costly holding penalties, put alot of pressure on Aaron Rodgers, for majority of game running attack led by offensive line was pathetic. Played well some of the time but a net losing effort.

Capers - Once again proved that he can't make in game adustments to save his life. He basically let Kaepernick stand back in the pocket and pick us apart!

Jeremy Ross- The Jeremy Ross experiment is over. I wonder what if anything is between his ears?

I'm sure I missed some stuff. Some key improvements but weaknesses that the returning injured players will not be able to shore up.

asifp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The part is all our weakness have been weakness for years and we do nothing to fix it.

OLine and Safety has been a concern for few years now but we keep on trying to fix it via 3rd and 4th rounders. (Okay D.Sherrod had not worked out), but come on just trade and get a proven guy at that position

Reaction score
I'll just add Lacy as a winner. Once he got started he showed us a glimpse of whats to come.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought your offensive line played very well with pass protection. The 49ers pass rush is ridiculous. You might not have known it in the playoff game with the "Smith brothers" on the 49ers playing hurt. Sans a few plays here and there, Rodgers was given time to throw the ball.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ease up on the OL. You seem to forget who we were playing. Our OL did as well as ANY OL will do against them this year.

Another loser: those damn replacement refs! Giving them an extra 3rd down was inexcusable and was the difference in the game. Changed the entire complexion of how the 4th quarter was played by both teams. SF should have been playing from behind.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought your offensive line played very well with pass protection. The 49ers pass rush is ridiculous. You might not have known it in the playoff game with the "Smith brothers" on the 49ers playing hurt. Sans a few plays here and there, Rodgers was given time to throw the ball.
Game was a lot closer than you thought it was going to be, wasn't it?

OP
OP

12theTruth

Sacks don't tell the whole story. Rodgers was only sacked once in last years playoff game but he was under duress nevertheless.

USArmyParatrooper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Game was a lot closer than you thought it was going to be, wasn't it?

Yeah, a couple big surprises. Green Bay was stuffing the run and protecting Rodgers. Had anyone told me they'd do both of those, I would have predicted a huge loss.

Fortunately Kaepernick and Boldin had monster games.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another note. Given our run defense today against possibly the best OL in football, I suspect our defense is only going to get better and better. When Burnett and Hayward get back on the field, you'll see major improvement there too.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, a couple big surprises. Green Bay was stuffing the run and protecting Rodgers. Had anyone told me they'd do both of those, I would have predicted a huge loss.

Hopefully we meet up again in the playoffs. I don't think anyone beats us 4 in a row.

OP
OP

12theTruth

Another note. Given our run defense today against possibly the best OL in football, I suspect our defense is only going to get better and better. When Burnett and Hayward get back on the field, you'll see major improvement there too.

Even with Burnett back another weak link in M.D. Jennings is back there. If an when Hayward comes back they should consider switching him to safety to compliment Burnett. Major Improvement is a bit of a stretch I would say as long as the Pack have at least one weak link at safety.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losers. Matthews and the refs on the same play.
I'm going to defend Matthews. Clay launched just as the QB was stepping out of bounds. You can't stop your momentum on a dime and Clay probably figured he was going to try to make a move to get the first down.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kaepernick had all day to throw and our defensive secondary was without our best safety, Morgan Burnett, and our best CB, Casey Heyward, and man did it show. Packers' safeties were lost back there and playing way too far off.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even with Burnett back another weak link in M.D. Jennings is back there. If an when Hayward comes back they should consider switching him to safety to compliment Burnett. Major Improvement is a bit of a stretch I would say as long as the Pack have at least one weak link at safety.
The weak link was being forced to play Bush as much as we did.

OP
OP

12theTruth

The weak link was being forced to play Bush as much as we did.

Didn't even hear his name called until Boldin pulverized him. McMillian and Jennings really stood out to me.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers O-line was OK, they actually played better than I expected. Besides it usually takes Campen 7-10 games to get the OL to gel.

I thought the DL looked outstanding. I thought both Hawk and Jones played tough physical football.

I thought the CBs played fairly well though Shields still relies too much on his speed.

Safety isn't a concern for me, I suspect that both Jennings/McMillan will look better and more decisive when playing next to a veteran like Morgan Burnett.

OLB, I was pleased with Perry's physical play and I liked what I saw from Neal, he showed some nice quickness and a lot of power. Almost had a sack and would have had one against a less mobile quarterback.

OP
OP

12theTruth

I'm going to defend Matthews. Clay launched just as the QB was stepping out of bounds. You can't stop your momentum on a dime and Clay probably figured he was going to try to make a move to get the first down.

They will call that every time. Defenders are taught not to engage in a hit at that point. Clay was jacked and made a mistake. I'm sure the coaches let him know that.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ho
They will call that every time. Defenders are taught not to engage in a hit at that point. Clay was jacked and made a mistake. I'm sure the coaches let him know that.

He did sit out the start of the next series.

bobgodd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on... Kaep was already out of bounds before he jumped. He didn't make contact until Kaep was almost out of the white! Lol... You're defending a player on your team, I get it. There was nothing justifiable about that play, however.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you have things to obviously clean up but you play within 1 score of a great team like that then it says something positive. Don't forget the 2 crucial turnovers the packers committed and the zero turnovers SF committed. Now hopefully MM and his staff learn from some of the things and apply what they have learned.

Ross can also be cut because he serves no damn purpose. Let Franklin do something and return the kicks. Hyde can return punts if need be as well.

OP
OP

12theTruth

The Packers O-line was OK, they actually played better than I expected. Besides it usually takes Campen 7-10 games to get the OL to gel.

I thought the DL looked outstanding. I thought both Hawk and Jones played tough physical football.

I thought the CBs played fairly well though Shields still relies too much on his speed.

Safety isn't a concern for me, I suspect that both Jennings/McMillan will look better and more decisive when playing next to a veteran like Morgan Burnett.

OLB, I was pleased with Perry's physical play and I liked what I saw from Neal, he showed some nice quickness and a lot of power. Almost had a sack and would have had one against a less mobile quarterback.

LOL, You'd think they'd have won by judging your review. Most Packer fans leading up to the game predicted a win so maybe you expected a loss?

94niners

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers run defense was amazing, in my opinion, and the way that Mathews played the one read-option play that Kap kept shows EXACTLY how it's stopped (OLB runs toward RBs to fool QB, then quickly shifts back to QB). It was brilliant on his part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts