4 Packers Veterans Who Will Lose Their Starting Spot to Rookies

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think abbrederis is gonna be odd man out unless they roll 7 deep which could be a possibility... Keep 3 te

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to hold on to Tretter for the 2016 season. He adds valuable depth on the offensive line and the team wouldn´t get a lot in return for him in the first place.

Honestly, depending how the chips fall, holding on to him may actually result in a better return than if we'd trade him now....that's if there were suitors.

Someone in need of an experienced OL that is a center at heart may give him a contract worthy to grant a comp pick in return higher than what he'd garner now....a lot depends on what teams enter next offseason with OL injuries or projections on draft picks...but Tretter may be a case where all things pushed aside but "what will we get in return" may pose a bigger value keeping.

(His value to our 2016 run outweighs to me anything worth trading for unless someone wants to give us a 3rd...WHICH IS A PIPE DREAM)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Tretter, as most Packers, is rated much more highly by us. Turn it around, figure we're looking for a center, and there's one out there that has three years in 24 games played, 3 started. How much could the Pack give up to get him without starting a riot?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, depending how the chips fall, holding on to him may actually result in a better return than if we'd trade him now....that's if there were suitors.

Someone in need of an experienced OL that is a center at heart may give him a contract worthy to grant a comp pick in return higher than what he'd garner now....a lot depends on what teams enter next offseason with OL injuries or projections on draft picks...but Tretter may be a case where all things pushed aside but "what will we get in return" may pose a bigger value keeping.

(His value to our 2016 run outweighs to me anything worth trading for unless someone wants to give us a 3rd...WHICH IS A PIPE DREAM)

I agree, what could we hope to get from him now? A 6th rounder? Maybe a 5th from a real desperate team but I highly doubt it. He's worth that as insurance and if he does get any serious playing time this year and does well we might net that in a comp pick. I hope we don't have to find out though.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can easily see Martinez starting...especially if he can get the playbook down which being from Stanford I'm sure he can. Bsrringtom is a backup at best, and Ryan can't cover anyone. Martinez film shies he's a 3 down player in the middle.

I can see Spriggs starting as well... simply due to the fact that I can GUARANTEE you at some point Bulaga gets injured. Count on it.

Kenny Clark will at some point take a starting spot simply because the guys a 1st rd pick, and TT didn't do a great job addressing the d line. One or two injuries away from giving up 200 rushing yards s game especially if Ryan and Barringyon start in the middle.

Davis will take over kick return duties alongside Janis.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can easily see Martinez starting...especially if he can get the playbook down which being from Stanford I'm sure he can. Bsrringtom is a backup at best, and Ryan can't cover anyone. Martinez film shies he's a 3 down player in the middle.

Kenny Clark will at some point take a starting spot simply because the guys a 1st rd pick, and TT didn't do a great job addressing the d line. One or two injuries away from giving up 200 rushing yards s game especially if Ryan and Barringyon start in the middle.

I agree that Martinez has a chance to start at some point because he's most likely the best coverage linebacker currently on the roster. Barrington and Ryan are both adequate defending the run though.

Davis will take over kick return duties alongside Janis.

Montgomery is still the front runner to return kickoffs this season.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Differing opinions, I'm sure, but I can't see the relevance to a thread of veterans getting displaced.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see Martinez and Benitez replacing both Ryan and Barrington.

We all know I'm a Beniquez Brown fan (assuming that is who you are talking about)....but I don't think he'll be starting this year. More realistic would be STs this year and best case for UDFA would be working into rotational play next season.

Martinez I already predicted will be a starting more than any ILB for us as a rookie by years end (since Barnett).

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you see Spriggs over Bakhtiari with Bakhtiari moving to right tackle over Bulaga more than Spriggs straight up over Bulaga. I think Martinez over Sam more than Jake is a strong possibility. We don't know how Sam's ankle is healed or really how good he is, we haven't seen much of him. Morell over Masthay agreed. And yes, whether he warrants it or not (Haven't seen him play yet) barring injury Clark is a starter.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think you see Spriggs over Bakhtiari with Bakhtiari moving to right tackle over Bulaga more than Spriggs straight up over Bulaga. I think Martinez over Sam more than Jake is a strong possibility. We don't know how Sam's ankle is healed or really how good he is, we haven't seen much of him.

I don't expect Spriggs to become a starter this season. Hopefully he will convince the coaching staff that he's capable of taking over for Bakhtiari starting in 2017 though.

Martinez is best suited to play Will linebacker in a 3-4. Actually it doesn't matter if he starts in the base defense because he will get a lot of playing time in subpackages. It will be interested to see who plays next to him in the nickel though.