4 Packers Veterans Who Will Lose Their Starting Spot to Rookies

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 6794

As long as Bulaga stays healthy I don't see Spriggs starting ahead of him at right tackle.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As long as Bulaga stays healthy I don't see Spriggs starting ahead of him at right tackle.

Agreed. Spriggs will see time but will only start if there is an injury. Have to look at him as an investment for 2017 and beyond.

I don't see Ryan losing his job either. While I hope his game improves, one rookie year is not enough to give up on the guy in favor of another rookie. Now if he doesn't improve and Martinez catches on fast.....then maybe.

Masthay will lose his starting position to anybody who shows some consistency to a job he has stunk at the past 2 years.

Clark will probably start by reason of default. Thin position, especially until Pennel is back, your #1 pick. Unless he was a mistake, no reason to not believe he won't be a starter.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Clark has a good chance because we are very thin at the position right now. I fully expect him to be capable of "winning" a starting job regardless of how the beginning of the season unfolds or who is or isn't available, by mid season.
I think Martinez has a good shot, that position is wide open and I pencil in nobody as a starter.

I don't think Spriggs takes over anything unless their is injury, which is inevitable with our Oline. I don't know why i'm typing all this out, i should have just liked the comment above mine.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't see Ryan losing his job either. While I hope his game improves, one rookie year is not enough to give up on the guy in favor of another rookie. Now if he doesn't improve and Martinez catches on fast.....then maybe.

I don't think Martinez will start over Ryan either but I expect him to get a lot of snaps in nickel and dime at the expense of either Barrington or Ryan.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bulaga won't be losing his starting job unless injured. My guess is he'll be at RT in '16 and then moved inside to OG for '17-'19 to minimize the coming OL free agency shakeup. His cap #'s, until 2019, are too big for him to get beat out and not start, somewhere.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bulaga won't be losing his starting job unless injured. My guess is he'll be at RT in '16 and then moved inside to OG for '17-'19 to minimize the coming OL free agency shakeup. His cap #'s, until 2019, are too big for him to get beat out and not start, somewhere.

I'm not convinced Bulaga is a fit to play guard. With him being signed to a reasonable deal compared to what Bakhtiari will most likely ask for there's a possibility Spriggs will start at left tackle from the 2017 season on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can see the scenario that if Bulaga gets hurt again and/or only plays average, the Packers waive him or ask him to take a pay cut or they resign Bahk and use Spriggs for whatever Tackle position doesn't pan out as planned. Which is the beauty of the pick. He doesn't have to immediately start and the Packers can hopefully use him as a starter in 2017 depending on what goes down with the other guys.

D

Deleted member 6794

I can see the scenario that if Bulaga gets hurt again and/or only plays average, the Packers waive him or ask him to take a pay cut or they resign Bahk and use Spriggs for whatever Tackle position doesn't pan out as planned. Which is the beauty of the pick. He doesn't have to immediately start and the Packers can hopefully use him as a starter in 2017 depending on what goes down with the other guys.

Releasing Bulaga after next season would result in $4.8 million in dead money counting against the cap. Not the way Thompson does business.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Releasing Bulaga after next season would result in $4.8 million in dead money counting against the cap. Not the way Thompson does business.
Boy you are just keeping me in check today!! LOL I'm going back to the coffee pot and catching up on my sleep tonight!

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I think Davante Adams will lose his WR 3 spot to Ty Montegomery and Ty Montegomery loses his punt return/kick off to Trevor Davis

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Davante Adams will lose his WR 3 spot to Ty Montegomery and Ty Montegomery loses his punt return/kick off to Trevor Davis

Adams is far better suited to play on the outside than Montgomery. If he really loses his starting job, something I highly doubt, it will either be to Janis or Davis.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think it's far more likely that Bulaga stays at RT and Spriggs becomes the starting LT after they don't re-sign Bahktiari after this season.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's far more likely that Bulaga stays at RT and Spriggs becomes the starting LT after they don't re-sign Bahktiari after this season.

Agreed. This is another time people are just over thinking the situation. If Spriggs looks the part of a LT in camp this will be Bakhtiaris last season in GB. No reason to pay a solid LT starters money on the open market when a 2nd year guy by next year can do the job on a rookie contract and also get a pretty decent comp pick out of it

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of variables here...what if Spriggs stinks and isn't ready next year or is a bust? What if either tackle this year suffers season ending injury?

Obviously Thompson and Mccarthy figure on him starting somewhere next season...but i think more than that they figure they're getting an elite talent that needs a little seasoning. I think they figure it will work itself out one way or another, in time.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lots of variables here...what if Spriggs stinks and isn't ready next year or is a bust? What if either tackle this year suffers season ending injury?

Well, if Spriggs struggles in 2016 the Packers will either re-sign Bakhtiari or draft another tackle in the early rounds next year.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly see Janis being # 3 wr the man made plays every time he got a chance to be out there on the field ty is a slot guy who will fill in for Cobb I can see Adams at 4 they aren't gonna cut Adams but I see Janis passing him on the depth chart

D

Deleted member 6794

I honestly see Janis being # 3 wr the man made plays every time he got a chance to be out there on the field ty is a slot guy who will fill in for Cobb I can see Adams at 4 they aren't gonna cut Adams but I see Janis passing him on the depth chtart

Please stop acting as if Janis had done anything special as a receiver before the Cardinals playoff game. He had a total of four receptions in two years.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if Spriggs struggles in 2016 the Packers will either re-sign Bakhtiari or draft another tackle in the early rounds next year.

The biggest question mark for me is Bulaga. Can he stay healthy? How much of his ability has been sapped by one injury after another over the years?
If Bak has a solid year, he'll likely be priced out of town.
Tretter is 'most likely to go' after this season. He'll be offered more money and a chance to start by several teams.
The guard situation will be 'wait and see', and will sort itself out. Can Sitton and Lang stay healthy and perform at their usual high levels? Even if they do, tough call on both being wrong side of 30 and with lots of wear and tear on them. I believe decisions will be made on them by late season.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest question mark for me is Bulaga. Can he stay healthy? How much of his ability has been sapped by one injury after another over the years?
If Bak has a solid year, he'll likely be priced out of town.
Tretter is 'most likely to go' after this season. He'll be offered more money and a chance to start by several teams.
The guard situation will be 'wait and see', and will sort itself out. Can Sitton and Lang stay healthy and perform at their usual high levels? Even if they do, tough call on both being wrong side of 30 and with lots of wear and tear on them. I believe decisions will be made on them by late season.

I'm more inclined to think Tretter is a starting guard for the Pack next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm more inclined to think Tretter is a starting guard for the Pack next year.

Tretter is best suited to play center in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised by him leaving to start at the position somewhere else.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know that Tretter has the size or strength to consistantly tangle with the big guys inside; agree that C is his best position.

Members online

Latest posts