Breaking Down the NFC North, 2022 Edition

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually I don't know if Love improves significantly over his performance last season. In my opinion the only way to prove he has is by excelling in real games, something he hopefully doesn't get a chance to though.
I agree. And I'm skeptical of young QBs who do well in PS games. Beyond Q1, the QB is playing against a team's 2nd and 3rd string guys. The cauldron is in real games during the regular season. Unless it's in clean up, I'd rather not see Love on the field, or anyone other than Rodgers.

captainWIMM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but if rodgers never plays in preseason games, wouldn't love be up against 1st string guys at least part of the time?

A lot of teams rest starters in preseason games on the defensive side of the ball as well. In addition all of them play vanilla schemes.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of teams rest starters in preseason games on the defensive side of the ball as well. In addition all of them play vanilla schemes.
It makes me wonder why they play PS games at all. Probably just for $$$. The games are sold out and everyone (including me) watches. Even in the vanilla schemes they run, injury is a risk. I just don't see the value to the game or the players. The owners and shareholders? Different story.

Not sure why the players can't get rid of PS games as part of the CBA. The players don't get much out of it. The only reason I can see is it gives a glimpse of how the rookie class will perform. Even that's a pretty weak reason.

captainWIMM

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It makes me wonder why they play PS games at all. Probably just for $$$. The games are sold out and everyone (including me) watches. Even in the vanilla schemes they run, injury is a risk. I just don't see the value to the game or the players. The owners and shareholders? Different story.

Not sure why the players can't get rid of PS games as part of the CBA. The players don't get much out of it. The only reason I can see is it gives a glimpse of how the rookie class will perform. Even that's a pretty weak reason.

There's definitely some benefit to preseason games being played. While most players being a lock to make the roster might not need those games the ones fighting for a roster spot get a chance to showcase their talent.

You shouldn't expect to see a quality product in those games though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's definitely some benefit to preseason games being played. While most players being a lock to make the roster might not need those games the ones fighting for a roster spot get a chance to showcase their talent.

You shouldn't expect to see a quality product in those games though.
I guess that's right. The new guys have to get some real game experience, even if it is vanilla PS football. I'd be fine if the veterans were given a pass on participation. Unless they're working on something specifically, keep em healthy for when the games count.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that's right. The new guys have to get some real game experience, even if it is vanilla PS football. I'd be fine if the veterans were given a pass on participation. Unless they're working on something specifically, keep em healthy for when the games count.
i guarantee there will be some packers fans screaming that rodgers needs to play in the ps games because he needs to get used to his new receivers. i mean look at how many thought he was not "all in" because he didn't attend the voluntary otas (which are even more useless).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i guarantee there will be some packers fans screaming that rodgers needs to play in the ps games because he needs to get used to his new receivers. i mean look at how many thought he was not "all in" because he didn't attend the voluntary otas (which are even more useless).
I really do get skipping the OTAs. The new guys are so busy just getting settled, finding their lockers, finding a place to live, finding the Hutson Center. OTAs are more like welcoming activities, with a little football thrown in.

As for the argument that Rodgers should play in the PS because there are so many new guys - well sure there's some value, but not much. The teams are running vanilla plays that are not likely to be used during the regular season. Risk injury to Rodgers for that? All it takes is one, aggressive UDFA Edge rusher trying to make a name for himself and take down #12. No thanks. Let Love get the snaps.

Members online

Latest posts