4 Packers Veterans Who Will Lose Their Starting Spot to Rookies

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.circasports.com/posts/31...se-their-starting-spot-to-rookies?a_aid=36676

Interesting article. I wouldn't doubt any of it to be honest. My only thing, is that Blake may start over Sam rather than Jake forming the Blake and Jake tandem!
As mentioned in a previous post I'm still high on Jake. The kid has just scratched the surface and brings more athleticism to the table than many believe. I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm for Martinez but dang I'm excited about him. Looks to be a gamer and I think he could be a really good player for us for years to come! The Miss. St. kid looks intriguing as well. I believe your analysis could very well be spot on! G P G!

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please stop acting as if Janis had done anything special as a receiver before the Cardinals playoff game. He had a total of four receptions in two years.
Ok but anytime he was out he made plays even before that also look what he does in preseason he will be number 3 regardless what anybody else thinks adams is needs to get rid of his stone hands.... He absolutely blew donkey balls this year..

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok but anytime he was out he made plays even before that also look what he does in preseason he will be number 3 regardless what anybody else thinks adams is needs to get rid of his stone hands.... He absolutely blew donkey balls this year..
I honestly would feel better with Janis being the #2 receiver even with his difficulty grasping the system. Either way, it was an embarrassment not to have a dedicated WR coach with a bunch of young players. Whoever made that call should be relieved of their duties. The lacking of coaching definitely showed.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I honestly would feel better with Janis being the #2 receiver even with his difficulty grasping the system.

It's comments like these that make some on this board seem like haters when they call out statements like this.

#2 WR? Seriously?

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's comments like these that make some on this board seem like haters when they call out statements like this.

#2 WR? Seriously?
I meant the #2 outside receiver, the position where Adams is really the only one built for, and who failed miserably at it last year. Maybe Abbrederis could, but Adams clearly can't.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are giving up on Adams way too quick. He's easily our third best receiver.

D

Deleted member 6794

Janis receptions in the preseason were important for him to make the team in the first place but unfortunately raised part of the fan base's expectations to a completely unrealistic level. You have to realize that he faces way more talented defensive backs in regular season and playoff games though and the catches he made against third stringers not even on a roster anymore don't mean anything.

The Packers coaching staff know a thing or two about evaluating wide receiver talent and them playing a struggling and injured Adams all season should tell you everything about Janis not be ready to play.

I meant the #2 outside receiver, the position where Adams is really the only one built for, and who failed miserably at it last year. Maybe Abbrederis could, but Adams clearly can't.

Adams is a far more polished route runner than Janis and therefore better suited to start on the outside opposite Nelson. The Packers need a speedy deep threat to stretch defenses but drafting Davis in the fifth round indicates the coaching staff doesn't feel that confident in Janis being the long term answer.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please stop acting as if Janis had done anything special as a receiver before the Cardinals playoff game. He had a total of four receptions in two years.

Agreed, and I'm even a more Janis fan than you are. But people forget how unpolished and raw this guy came to the Pack as....Trevor Davis without a snap in the NFL yet I would say is a more polished WR than Janis was....and I still think Janis has a future with us for sure.

As for Tretter, I think the only way he stays (which sucks) is if we over pay him to play him outside of Center position....while I don't want him to leave, I also want Linsley as our Center so Tretter's days may be numbered and rightly so.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis receptions in the preseason were important for him to make the team in the first place but unfortunately raised part of the fan base's expectations to a completely unrealistic level. You have to realize that he faces way more talented defensive backs in regular season and playoff games though and the catches he made against third stringers not even on a roster anymore don't mean anything.

The Packers coaching staff know a thing or two about evaluating wide receiver talent and them playing a struggling and injured Adams all season should tell you everything about Janis not be ready to play.

Adams is a far more polished route runner than Janis and therefore better suited to start on the outside opposite Nelson. The Packers need a speedy deep threat to stretch defenses but drafting Davis in the fifth round indicates the coaching staff doesn't feel that confident in Janis being the long term answer.
It doesn't matter how polished he is if the CBs can run his routes all day and he can't catch a contested ball.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed, and I'm even a more Janis fan than you are. But people forget how unpolished and raw this guy came to the Pack as....Trevor Davis without a snap in the NFL yet I would say is a more polished WR than Janis....and I still think Janis has a future with us for sure.

Davis coming out of college is for sure a more polished receiver than Janis was at the time he left Saginaw Valley State. It would be extremely disappointing if Janis hasn't leapfrogged him by now though.

As for Tretter, I think the only way he stays (which sucks) is if we over pay him to play him outside of Center position....while I don't want him to leave, I also want Linsley as our Center so Tretter's days may be numbered and rightly so.

There's no reason to overpay for Tretter to play a position he's not a perfect fit for.

D

Deleted member 6794

It doesn't matter how polished he is if the CBs can run his routes all day and he can't catch a contested ball.

A crisp route runner will find a way to get open. Aside of Nelson all Packers receivers have to do a better job of catching contested balls.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why people believe that Tretter will command starting center money on the open free agent market. How much center has he actually played in 3 years in regular season games?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure why people believe that Tretter will command starting center money on the open free agent market. How much center has he actually played in 3 years in regular season games?

He may get starter money, but not elite starting money. He has shown he can excel on the front OL...even if not at Center....that alone will make a team hold higher value in him. I don't see him being a Guard of our future...but who knows.

D

Deleted member 6794

First of all Tretter was injured for the first 1 1/2 years of his NFL career. He played pretty well starting in three games for an injured Linsley last season.

It's for sure possible a team will offer him a deal to become their starting center next season.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay to play along with the thread title if you told me 4 Last Year starters loose to Packer Rookies this is my 4:

-Mortell over Mastay
-Clark at DL over everyone else
-Spriggs over Bakh
-Cook (rookie to GB) over Rodgers *easy one I know :D

This is a forced hand. I really only see a new TE and a new Punter starting for us this year....and Clark obviously will see some time but I think will depend on Pennel once he is back.

D

Deleted member 6794

Okay to play along with the thread title if you told me 4 Last Year starters loose to Packer Rookies this is my 4:

-Mortell over Mastay
-Clark at DL over everyone else
-Spriggs over Bakh
-Cook (rookie to GB) over Rodgers *easy one I know :D

This is a forced hand. I really only see a new TE and a new Punter starting for us this year....and Clark obviously will see some time but I think will depend on Pennel once he is back.

I expect Clark to start all of next season as it will take Pennel some time to get back in shape after returning from his suspension (think Guion in 2015).

It's improbable Spriggs will move past Bakhtiari on the depth chart during his rookie year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I expect Clark to start all of next season as it will take Pennel some time to get back in shape after returning from his suspension (think Guion in 2015).

It's improbable Spriggs will move past Bakhtiari on the depth chart during his rookie year.

Capt...merely playing by the "rules" of the thread bud :D

Reaction score
Adams is far better suited to play on the outside than Montgomery. If he really loses his starting job, something I highly doubt, it will either be to Janis or Davis.
I think we've already tasted Montgomerys role in 2015. He had initial success when designated to the backfield/slot receiver and return man, until his injury. I think we will use him similarly in 2016 barring any injury on the depth chart in front of him.
As poorly as Adams played last year.. I think he'll be given a chance to prove himself one more time through the 1st quarter or so of the regular season games. Although he regressed last year I believe he is capable of becoming a solid #3

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping that Rotheram is a good enough backup center/guard and that Spriggs is a good enough backup tackle that we can try to trade Tretter to whichever team's starting center goes down in training camp. He's too good to not get anything for. Of course, I know that this will likely never, ever happen. They'll hold onto him for insurance and, best case scenario, he never gets in a game. Too bad though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Or it could mean, he was the best value at that pick and they wanted to add more team speed.

D

Deleted member 6794

As poorly as Adams played last year.. I think he'll be given a chance to prove himself one more time through the 1st quarter or so of the regular season games. Although he regressed last year I believe he is capable of becoming a solid #3

Agreed about Montgomery. In my opinion Adams has the talent to become a solid starter on the outside. The question being if he´s able to play up to his potential.

I'm hoping that Rotheram is a good enough backup center/guard and that Spriggs is a good enough backup tackle that we can try to trade Tretter to whichever team's starting center goes down in training camp. He's too good to not get anything for. Of course, I know that this will likely never, ever happen. They'll hold onto him for insurance and, best case scenario, he never gets in a game. Too bad though.

I would prefer the Packers to hold on to Tretter for the 2016 season. He adds valuable depth on the offensive line and the team wouldn´t get a lot in return for him in the first place.

Or it could mean, he was the best value at that pick and they wanted to add more team speed.

It´s possible but highly unlikely that a receiver most likely ending up fifth or sixth on the depth chart was the player presenting the best value if the front office doesn´t think about him possibly replacing Janis.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is a question, do Barrington, Ryan, and Blake play the same position? Meaning is there a big difference in these guys games? Will and Sam are both inside? Weak and strong side, is one mor a run stuffer, more the cover? Who is who for the Pack, I've always been confused a bit on this. The argument of Blake taking over a spot may depend which one he is, right?

D

Deleted member 6794

Here is a question, do Barrington, Ryan, and Blake play the same position? Meaning is there a big difference in these guys games? Will and Sam are both inside? Weak and strong side, is one mor a run stuffer, more the cover? Who is who for the Pack, I've always been confused a bit on this. The argument of Blake taking over a spot may depend which one he is, right?

Barrington is best suited to line up as the Sam linebacker while Ryan is more of a tweener with Martinez most likely being a fit as a Will backer.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts