2022 week 18 pre-game thread: Rematch with the Lions

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I got the day off from the firehouse. Last minute trade of shifts. Here’s my question and I know it’s a crappy one since most of you don’t live in Chicago. (Lucky motherfukers) I do. Any place I can go besides the comfort of my own home and if they **** up I don’t go to jail for destruction of property? Lmao! Would love to drive to Wisconsin but the wife has to work in the morning and they made it prime time.
Tell ya what friend, let everyone here do a collective Packer mind meld (you know, like Spock and Kirk), and completely guarantee a Packer win Sunday night. Then we won't have to read about you in Monday's Tribune as a human wrecking ball on Michigan Ave.

If you do go nuts and get arrested, make sure your cell has a TV. And by cell I don't mean your phone........

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I agree with everything you’ve said, just think his ref comment is a bad bait and don’t belong here.
Yeah but seeing that banner from weeds was worth it. "Our Old QB Won a Super Bowl 2021-2022". That was an instant classic, flying high in the Ford Field dome.

They should also have a banner for every year Millen messed up the draft. That banner would hang all the way down to the field. They'd have to roll it up for games.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So I got the day off from the firehouse. Last minute trade of shifts. Here’s my question and I know it’s a crappy one since most of you don’t live in Chicago. (Lucky motherfukers) I do. Any place I can go besides the comfort of my own home and if they **** up I don’t go to jail for destruction of property? Lmao! Would love to drive to Wisconsin but the wife has to work in the morning and they made it prime time.

Reaction score
Sorry, but that’s just silly. The Packers have been plagued by penaltes much of the season and haven’t been handed many gifts (PI calls in particular), at least not by the officials. Can you cite some examples?
2019, MNF@GB. Anyone here with NFL+ can rewatch the last drive. I believe it was hands to the face called multiple times on the Lions defense when replay clearly showed there were no hands to the face. The refs marched the Packers into FG range so Crosby could get you guys a 1-point win. Simply Google "lions at packers mnf 2019" and this paragraph is at the top:

Packers get the calls, Crosby hits late FG to beat Lions
Mason Crosby nailed a 23-yard field goal as time expired, and the Green Bay Packers benefited from some questionable officiating to edge the Detroit Lions 23-22 on Monday night.Oct 14, 2019

But let's not stop at phantom hands to the face calls. How about that phantom facemask penalty that set up the Hail Mary? Roll the tape. The game should have been over.

And the Samkon Gado "incomplete pass"... oh brother.

These are all just the ones vs GB that I can think of off the top of my head. There's tons more. Calvin's TD @ Chicago 2010, the picked up PI @ Dallas wildcard round. On and on. Stuff that never happens, yet happens to us.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
2019, MNF@GB. Anyone here with NFL+ can rewatch the last drive. I believe it was hands to the face called multiple times on the Lions defense when replay clearly showed there were no hands to the face. The refs marched the Packers into FG range so Crosby could get you guys a 1-point win. Simply Google "lions at packers mnf 2019" and this paragraph is at the top:

Mason Crosby nailed a 23-yard field goal as time expired, and the Green Bay Packers benefited from some questionable officiating to edge the Detroit Lions 23-22 on Monday night.Oct 14, 2019

But let's not stop at phantom hands to the face calls. How about that phantom facemask penalty that set up the Hail Mary? Roll the tape. The game should have been over.

These are all just the ones vs GB that I can think of off the top of my head. There's tons more. Calvin's TD @ Chicago 2010, the picked up PI @ Dallas wildcard round. On and on. Stuff that never happens, yet happens to us.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I mean, how many wins do the refs need to giftwrap your Packers before you all admit the obvious?
It goes both ways man. There's plenty of penalties that have cost the Packers. For example, Rodgers being face masked and fumbling against the Cardinals in the playoffs in overtime with no call. The Fail Mary comes to mind. All teams have bad beats. It's just part of the game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pffft, i don't even have to go back to 2019, just the last game. We get the ball at about the 6" line and they mark it at the 2.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm merely stated facts that were requested.
The Lions won't need the refs. The Lions are a team on the rise. Your guys never should have traded Hockenson though. They could use him now, and the game might be meaningless if hockenson had stayed in Detroit. (What did the Lions get in the trade?)

This will be a good game. The Queens have been living on borrowed time. The Lions are a better team than the Queens. The Packers will win, but the Lions will make a game of it.

MadCat

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Some of these I’ve seen, some I haven’t. There‘s no question that there are probably teams that consistently get more favorable calls, but I’m not sure we‘re one of them. Every game can be picked apart for missed or phantom calls. That’s NFL officiating.

But I get what you’re saying. Yours is a team that doesn’t get a lot of breaks. I work with a Lions fan and whenever Detroit is playing well and I say anything about them looking good and having a chance, he always says, ”No, you don’t understand. It won’t happen. C’mon, we’re talking about the Lions.”

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell ya what friend, let everyone here do a collective Packer mind meld (you know, like Spock and Kirk), and completely guarantee a Packer win Sunday night. Then we won't have to read about you in Monday's Tribune as a human wrecking ball on Michigan Ave.

If you do go nuts and get arrested, make sure your cell has a TV. And by cell I don't mean your phone........
Hahahaha!

OkieCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did you make an account here just to troll us? If my team was as terrible as yours over the years, I wouldn’t go through the trouble.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Google fail Mary

Google gb vs arizona playoffs no face mask call

Google Get back in corner...every team gets bad calls.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I was mildly amused at first by your contribution mate as a visiting fan, but now I`m just calling ********. Your team and organisation who I actually have a soft spot because of "Paper Lion", have repeatedly shot themselves in the foot year after year. Blaming the refs is just plain ******** and pathetic. You`re just not good enough...period. Bobby warned you.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

The Lions won't need the refs. The Lions are a team on the rise. Your guys never should have traded Hockenson though. They could use him now, and the game might be meaningless if hockenson had stayed in Detroit. (What did the Lions get in the trade?)

For the record, the Lions were 1-6 with Hockenson and are currently 7-2 without him this season.

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
They have Mr. Interception..Jared Goff..we have Rodgers..our fans & the belt..yeah not scared!

2022 stats don't necessarily agree with your assessment. Not saying that the Lions are going to win, just that your assertion is inaccurate.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
There‘s no question that there are probably teams that consistently get more favorable calls, but I’m not sure we‘re one of them.

There was a study done a year or so ago that looked at all penalties since 2010 (https://time2play.com/blog/referee-bias-in-the-nfl/). There is certainly a factor of discipline that falls on the teams playing the games, but an interesting read nonetheless.

Pertinent values (with other teams for comparison)

Most penalized:
Raiders - 1st
Lions - 5th
Packers - 29th
Patriots - 32nd

They also created a formula to generate an overall bias for each NFL team:
Colts - 1st
Packers - 4th
Lions - 23rd
Seahawks - 32nd

This isn't intended to place blame anywhere, or discount what a team has done, just found it to be a unique analysis.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was a study done a year or so ago that looked at all penalties since 2010 (https://time2play.com/blog/referee-bias-in-the-nfl/). There is certainly a factor of discipline that falls on the teams playing the games, but an interesting read nonetheless.

Pertinent values (with other teams for comparison)

Most penalized:
Raiders - 1st
Lions - 5th
Packers - 29th
Patriots - 32nd

They also created a formula to generate an overall bias for each NFL team:
Colts - 1st
Packers - 4th
Lions - 23rd
Seahawks - 32nd

This isn't intended to place blame anywhere, or discount what a team has done, just found it to be a unique analysis.
without the criteria, it means nothing.
Good teams often are the least penalized for many other reasons besides biased officiating. usually it has to do with better players, better coaching, more discipline etc and that has usually been very evident on the field.

The outlier, the Seahawks who'd I'd argue nobody got away with more DPI or defensive holding than those guys during the legion of boom years.

I actually think it was brilliant by them to commit an enormous amount of presnap defensive penalties in every game compared to everyone else they'd get away with all their crap on the backend because the officials couldn't possibly throw the flat again.

Every week they'd complain how they received more penalties than the other guys and half to 3/4 of them would all be unforced presnap penalties. Those aren't because of officiating bias.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen that study before and it's definitely interesting if nothing else but I'm not sure it's entirely accurate for it to take that data and use it as evidence of "bias". Perhaps it's semantics but I would contend that "bias" in this usage would/should refer to a team(s) getting a disproportionate number of wrong/missed/inaccurate calls for/against them. A team getting more penalties called against them than others does not necessarily mean a referee/referees are biased against them; it could just as easily mean that they simply committed more penalizable offenses and were (rightly?) called on them. In the same way, a team receiving less penalties called against them does not necessarily mean that they are benefitting from a favorable bias; it could just as well mean that they simply committed less penalizable offenses.

Of course this is also not to suggest that such bias doesn't exist but I think in this case the burden of proof here lies on the one trying to claim bias on the part of referee(s) for/against a particular team.

So in short it's interesting to look at but without being able to say which of those penalties should/shouldn't have been called I don't think it means a lot.

That said I don't have the link(s) on-hand at the moment but broadly speaking over the years (and across different sports) it has often been found that by-and-large officiating tends to favor home teams more favorably in general than any one specific team(s).