Packer Draft Position on the Rise.....

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
With a "slight" chance of catapulting to #2.
In the past 15 seasons, the #2 pick in the draft has made it to 20 probowls. I know, not a perfect measuring stick and it doesn't include this seasons selections. Most of those 20 are in the books as belonging to 3 players.; Megatron-6, DonkeyKong Sue-5, and VonMiller-6. Nine players never went. If I went back one more year, Julius Peppers went to 9.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
In the past 15 seasons, the #2 pick in the draft has made it to 20 probowls. I know, not a perfect measuring stick and it doesn't include this seasons selections. Most of those 20 are in the books as belonging to 3 players.; Megatron-6, DonkeyKong Sue-5, and VonMiller-6. Nine players never went. If I went back one more year, Julius Peppers went to 9.
No doubt I would rather have the #2 pick in every round of the draft VS the 18th. For me, that would trump 3 wins at the end of this disappointing season. I know for others, as well as the players themselves, the wins are more important and I am not trying to change anybody's minds here. :)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My point is the #2 position, for whatever reason, seems to miss more often than hit. Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich, many of the "busts" came from that slot. You have to go all the way back to the Drew Bledsoe and Brett Favre era drafts to come up with 9 #1 picks that have never made the probowl. And that is a low bar to qualify as good enough to get known by enough fans. I'm wondering why the big difference in one position. The stats are from http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/alltimeno1

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, never paid any attention, but I wouldn't have thought it was that high. Maybe I'm to used to seeing how the Packers do it.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wow, never paid any attention, but I wouldn't have thought it was that high. Maybe I'm to used to seeing how the Packers do it.
I was a bit surprised as well. I guess the bottom line for me, I would rather have the option than not have it. The rookie salary difference between Kevin King (2nd round 1st pick #33) and Ryan Ramczyk (1st round, last pick #32), isn't that much: King ($1,770,221/year), Ramczvk ($2,222,889/year). However, if they both are playing at a Pro Bowl level, I can guarantee you that King's 5th year is going to be really pricey in the form of a new contract.

In a "2017 Draft ReDo". The Packers could have stuck with their original pick and not had King, but had take TJ Watt and the 5th year option. :)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was a bit surprised as well. I guess the bottom line for me, I would rather have the option than not have it. The rookie salary difference between Kevin King (2nd round 1st pick #33) and Ryan Ramczyk (1st round, last pick #32), isn't that much: King ($1,770,221/year), Ramczvk ($2,222,889/year). However, if they both are playing at a Pro Bowl level, I can guarantee you that King's 5th year is going to be really pricey in the form of a new contract.

In a "2017 Draft ReDo". The Packers could have stuck with their original pick and not had King, but had take TJ Watt and the 5th year option. :)
$450,000 seems like a good chunk of money to me. Especially for one spot.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
$450,000 seems like a good chunk of money to me. Especially for one spot.
The cost of doing business in the NFL as well as part of the cost of that 5th year option. The rookie contracts are pretty well pre-determined by the CBA.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Question for the forum posters: is the 14th pick worth more to you than the 21st and 53rd picks in the 2019 draft?

Me? I’d take the trade for 21 and 53.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Question for the forum posters: is the 14th pick worth more to you than the 21st and 53rd picks in the 2019 draft?

Me? I’d take the trade for 21 and 53.

Depends on the timing. Right now, I would say the 14th pick is more valuable, just in case a player that the Packers consider a top 10 pick falls. However, if you get on the clock and you see a big enough group of players still available at 14-21, then you make the trade.

The draft trade value chart has it about dead even.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I thought I had a chance to get a bonafide game changer with that pick, I guess I would. But if the ratings I had on players didn't lead me to believe I could get that, I'd take 2 swings later.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So we're picking #12.
As lousy as this season was, it feels like we deserve a higher pick than that. :poop:

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Apparently, they weren’t meaningless lol. They cost us 7 draft spots.
7 draft slots in 7 rounds. :( While it would have been a crappy way to finish a year to loose those two other games, the sting of it would have been absorbed real fast and forgotten about soon enough, especially when draft day rolled around and we were sitting there with the 5th pick. Oh well.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it would have been a crappy way to finish a year to loose those two other games, the sting of it would have been absorbed real fast and forgotten about soon enough, especially when draft day rolled around and we were sitting there with the 5th pick. Oh well.
The last time we had the fifth pick, we picked A.J. Hawk.
Solid player, but hardly a world changer.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah but that was the 5th pick. Lots of things can go wrong with the 5th pick. If only we could have managed the #2 spot. There is no way you can screw up the #2 pick.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Yeah but that was the 5th pick. Lots of things can go wrong with the 5th pick. If only we could have managed the #2 spot. There is no way you can screw up the #2 pick.
You deserve a Tony for that!

While no pick is a guarantee, the higher the pick the better the selection pool to take a swing at. 2014 would have been a good year to have the 5th pick, the Raiders got Mack with it.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't see a smilie - are you really serving up that big of a softball?

I didn't want to make it that obvious. I was going to add the #4 pick as well but Brent Fullwood screwed that up for me. Not that Fullwood set the word on fire but he was not the one I was thinking of. I remember it because I still think it was the Packers worst draft pick ever.

You deserve a Tony for that!

While no pick is a guarantee, the higher the pick the better the selection pool to take a swing at. 2014 would have been a good year to have the 5th pick, the Raiders got Mack with it.

I know and I agree with you. I bring it up every time someone says its a waste to draft a particular position early because you can always find great players late. I said the same thing about the Browns last year when everyone was saying trade down and you still get a chance to draft a highly rated QB. My position was if you have your choice of any player you want why let someone else dictate who you get to pick from.

I just disagree with you on how to go about getting that higher pick ;)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does Tony Mandarich have a son or something?

Members online

Latest posts