Packer Draft Position on the Rise.....

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I realize that nobody likes loosing and this will probably meet with some negatives, but the Silver Lining in the Packer dismal season will ultimately be the reward of a higher draft position and "easier" 2019 schedule.

Currently, the Packers are sitting at #10. So instead of looking at what we and other teams have to do to get into the playoffs, I will be "somewhat" watching what everyone is doing in regards to draft position. :coffee:

For the Packers, 3 of their last 4 games are against teams currently sitting with worse records (Falcons, Jets Lions). Not that I want to see the Packers "tank" their last 4 games, but if they do lose some or all, they could leapfrog a lot of these teams. I will still be pulling for Packer victories, but I will also be cheering hard for most of these cellar dwellers to win each week too.
  1. Raiders (2-10): Remaining Games (Steelers, @Bengals, Broncos, @Chiefs)
  2. 49'ers (2-10): (Broncos, Seahawks, Bears, @Rams)
  3. Jets (3-9): (@Bills, Texans, Packers, @Patriots)
  4. Cardinals (3-9): (Lions, @Falcons, Rams, @Seahawks)
  5. Bills (4-8): (Jets, Lions, @Pats, Phins)
  6. Jaguars (4-8): (@Titans, Skins, @Phins, @Texans)
  7. Giants (4-8): (@Skins, Titans, @Colts, Cowboys)
  8. Lions (4-8): (@Cards, @Bills, Vikes, @Pack)
  9. Falcons (4-8): (@Pack, Cards, @Panthers, @Bills)
  10. Packers (4-7-1): (Falcons, @Bears, @Jets, Lions)
  11. Browns (4-7-1): (Panthers, @Broncos, Bengals, @Ravens)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realize that nobody likes loosing and this will probably meet with some negatives, but the Silver Lining in the Packer dismal season will ultimately be the reward of a higher draft position and "easier" 2019 schedule.

Currently, the Packers are sitting at #10. So instead of looking at what we and other teams have to do to get into the playoffs, I will be "somewhat" watching what everyone is doing in regards to draft position. :coffee:

For the Packers, 3 of their last 4 games are against teams currently sitting with worse records (Falcons, Jets Lions). Not that I want to see the Packers "tank" their last 4 games, but if they do lose some or all, they could leapfrog a lot of these teams. I will still be pulling for Packer victories, but I will also be cheering hard for most of these cellar dwellers to win each week too.
Thanks for taking the time to put this together Pokerbrat. Let’s face it, there ain’t much left to cheer for this year so where’s the harm in looking ahead, positively? And unless the firing of MM turns into some miracle cure and the team wins the next 4 games (I doubt it), it’s at least good to know what this disaster of a season may reap as far as the draft. I think the Packers have 3 picks in the first 50, and that may be the first 40 if they lose more games.

I’d be ok picking at #10, and even better if it was higher. I’ll still pull for them to win every week, but at least there’s a consolation prize if they continue their losing ways.

Something else to consider, Gluten should have a lot of cap space for FA. As I see it, there are big holes at edge rusher, right side of the O line (and O line depth), and Safety. It wouldn’t hurt to pick up a veteran WR in FA either, but with the cap hit from Adams and other more pressing needs, that might be a reach.

Anyway, thanks again. Good work!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thanks Joe, yup just trying to make a little "fun" out of a dismal season and I know "losing", especially talking about it, can rub some the wrong way. I don't see us "catching" the Raiders or 49'ers, but we could be sitting with the #3 pick in every round if we happen to lose out.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
you mean ari game?
Ooops...yes and thank you for the correction. Will actually be interesting to see if that number rises, falls or stays the same for the Falcons game. Just for sh*ts and giggles I got on Craigslist for tickets to the Cardinal game, many were 1/2 off face or "best offer". That is a very telling sign of what ticket holders are thinking, considering that at the time, the Packers were still "technically" in the playoff hunt.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have to go Line with one of the first picks then try to go TE, but this year doesn't look like a TE year. Maybe linebacker then in the 1st? or do we go OL/DL in round 1? This draft with our specific needs right now is tough.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have to go Line with one of the first picks then try to go TE, but this year doesn't look like a TE year. Maybe linebacker then in the 1st? or do we go OL/DL in round 1? This draft with our specific needs right now is tough.

What?

This is a great TE draft. There are some good edges available. There are some great iDL, and a few good iOL and OT's. It's weak at QB, WR. I'd say that works out pretty well for our needs.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Aren't you supposed to be watching the Saints draft position? :whistling:
Sadly, the Saints pick and the Packers pick went in opposite directions quite awhile ago, so now the post has to sadly focus on where the Packers will leave themselves positioned.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll be pulling in to Green Bay tomorrow.
I got great seats for Thursday nights game.
Only $100.00 each.:rolleyes:
Remember to swing by and look at that Bridge I want to sell you, I will even throw in some Packer Super Bowl tickets for this year!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Joe, yup just trying to make a little "fun" out of a dismal season and I know "losing", especially talking about it, can rub some the wrong way. I don't see us "catching" the Raiders or 49'ers, but we could be sitting with the #3 pick in every round if we happen to lose out.
Well, while I don’t like to see them lose, a #3 pick would be a nice consolation prize!

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
History sure repeats itself. Pack going to pick #5 overall like in 2006 and get Bosa who will be a solid pick but not great enough to live up to being taken #5 like AJ Hawk.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
History sure repeats itself. Pack going to pick #5 overall like in 2006 and get Bosa who will be a solid pick but not great enough to live up to being taken #5 like AJ Hawk.

If it was me in that position, I’d trade down for josh Allen and pick up some more draft assets in the process.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it was me in that position, I’d trade down for josh Allen and pick up some more draft assets in the process.

I'm sorry...you would pass on Bosa to draft Josh Allen?

Young Bosa is even better than his brother .Watch and wait...he's not just a solid pick like Hawk, he's a star

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF we were to pick at #5 and there is no clear BPA at need, sure why not.

What a somewhat lovely thought, knowing that chances have increased of nabbing undervalued talents who have slid out of their respective projected rounds!

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What?

This is a great TE draft. There are some good edges available. There are some great iDL, and a few good iOL and OT's. It's weak at QB, WR. I'd say that works out pretty well for our needs.

Outside of Fant, this does not look to be a super bunch of TEs, but it’s still early. Personally I actually think Tonyan can contributor.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I thought you were all in on the lose the Mosa draft Nick Bosa train.;)

Seriously it is a silver lining and there is no harm in looking at it that way. I will be pulling for the victories as well but I also understand that there is some benefit in losing.

Instead of wondering how much help the Packers need to make the playoffs now we can wonder how much help they need to get the #1 pick. I think they could even win a game and still get it.

Members online

Latest posts