Wide Receiver Options

D

Deleted member 6794

Robbie ain't happening due to salary.

The Packers could easily afford to acquire Robbie Anderson as he would only count $550K towards their cap for the rest of the season if acquired at the deadline. While the move would result in a ton of dead money for the Panthers they would still save some cap space in total compared to keeping him around in 2023 as well.

ATL - With London added and Ridley there Damiere Byrd is not seeing a ton of snaps. He'd probably just cost a 6th or maybe 7th....or maybe Gute works his magic and sends Amari plus a future 7th for him. However you're not gaining a whole lot more than a WR4 probably. Byrd in 2020 and 2021 together produced though 1500+ yards between NE (2020) and CHI (2021). There is also Bryan Edwards (who ATL sent a 5th for to Raiders for him and a conditional 7th) - rumor is that GB draft room was HIGH on him, only his injury worries held us back. He has proven that isn't a major issue Playing 16 games last year and over 800 snaps. He put up 811 yards and 16.8 yards per catch (2020 17.5) so he is a stretcher type and offers a big body catch radius. He'd be on a rookie deal yet...and given what they gave up, "cheap" I suspect. It is concerning in a top heavy room he cannot make his way to snaps though...was inactive this year twice even.

FWIW Calvin Ridley is suspended for the 2022 season. In addition your numbers are significantly off for both Byrd (who has a total of 933 receiving yards over the past two seasons) and Edwards (571 receiving yards in 2021).

Texans - I actually really like making a push for Tyler Johnson now that Cooks was signed, Metchie added and Nico Collins as well last year. He excelled in college, put a 612 yard production 2021 with Tom Brady as what the 4th option there?

You truly need to reconsider your sources, Tyler Johnson had 360 receiving yards last year.

Who I want us to target IF we feel we need an addition: Tyler Boyd Bengals - should the Bengals get to a point to do it. Tyler Boyd is not the future with Tee Higgins and Chase there. If the Bengals see there chances slipping....in large part due to their OL ineptness...what if they offer Boyd for Newman? Yosh? Boyd comes with 5 700+ yard seasons in Cinci since 2016 when he was a rookie.

Boyd has only four seasons with 700+ yards. It seems that you're taking a look at snaps played instead of receiving yards?

I'm surprised this is still a topic of conversation. It was fun to discuss in the offseason, but the Packers WRs are set. They're not making any moves. Watkins, while injury prone, is coming back. Lazard, Doubs, and Cobb are not a light it up on paper group, but they're certainly not the bottom of the barrel. Add Watkins back into the mix and it's at the very least solid. Now, do we have a true #1? Probably not, and it can be improved. It won't be this year.

I fully expect Gutekunst to make a move for a wide receiver if the current group doesn't improve until the trade deadline.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I fully expect Gutekunst to make a move for a wide receiver if the current group doesn't improve until the trade deadline.
I've definitely been wrong in the past and hope I am about this one as well. I don't consider the WRs talked about as major upgrades. Maybe just more experience and depth.

Krabs

Reaction score
I’d put a Benjamin on a side bet the our FO is already looking outside the organization for an option at either TE or WR.
I'd absolutely invite the idea of a trade for a TE. That is the weakest position group on the team. I thought this was about WRs though.

Krabs

Reaction score
What are you on about? The fact that this is not discussed more BAFFLES me. We have a stuttering offense, which was not the case last year, with the only change between the 2 squads being that Adams left. Of course we need another WR.

In case people have forgotten, our Super Bowl window with Rodgers is NOW. Surely he wil play no longer than 3 more years. We don't have the luxury to sit idly and see how the season pans out with a group of WRs that is mediocre at the very best. We need at least 1, if not 2 more capable pass catchers should be added to the group of Watson Doubs Watkins Cobb Lazard. Get me OBJ and any of the low cost options Tyni and Dantes mentioned above.
Hey, I don't disagree. I just think it is unlikely that they make a move. Gutey likes his draft picks. Had 10 of them last year. Moved up to get Watson. Of the options discussed, I don't think it is much of an upgrade. I definitely do not want OBJ and that talking point has become tiresome. He's a cancer and merely an injury prone ring chaser. Lazard, Doubs, and Cobb are not a horrible group. Yes, no true number one, but none of the guys mentioned for trades are either. It would be depth and that's about it. My point was that a conversation about trading for a WR is all hot air because it's not going to happen. I do hope they make a move for a TE. Our group is subpar.

I guess here I am talking about it. :)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers could easily afford to acquire Robbie Anderson as he would only count $550K towards their cap for the rest of the season if acquired at the deadline. While the move would result in a ton of dead money for the Panthers they would still save some cap space in total compared to keeping him around in 2023 as well.

FWIW Calvin Ridley is suspended for the 2022 season. In addition your numbers are significantly off for both Byrd (who has a total of 933 receiving yards over the past two seasons) and Edwards (571 receiving yards in 2021).

You truly need to reconsider your sources, Tyler Johnson had 360 receiving yards last year.

Boyd has only four seasons with 700+ yards. It seems that you're taking a look at snaps played instead of receiving yards?

I'm going to amend my above post as you made me think whoa what is wrong I cannot have missed things that much.....I exported into excel stats and the snap line was confused with yards...

Oh my word I'm sorry everyone. Clearly work stress and mind didn't allow me to think straight on this one.

Reaction score
What are you on about? The fact that this is not discussed more BAFFLES me. We have a stuttering offense, which was not the case last year, with the only change between the 2 squads being that Adams left. Of course we need another WR.

In case people have forgotten, our Super Bowl window with Rodgers is NOW. Surely he wil play no longer than 3 more years. We don't have the luxury to sit idly and see how the season pans out with a group of WRs that is mediocre at the very best. We need at least 1, if not 2 more capable pass catchers should be added to the group of Watson Doubs Watkins Cobb Lazard. Get me OBJ and any of the low cost options Tyni and Dantes mentioned above.
Honestly. I don’t even think we need a WR1 (not saying anyone said that) I think if we had 1 more veteran in that mold of Good old reliable Cobb or playmaker like Sammy? but not necessarily in the Slot. I just don’t know who is who in availability?

I’d consider at TE also. I think now that Jenkins and Bak are here we can get that TE group more targets. If there was a formidable TE in the passing game I’d consider that.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers were to make an acquisition at receiver, I would hope for some speed to help open the passing game up vertically, especially if Watkins and Watson remain unreliable.

Non-NFCN teams that are trending towards being potential "sellers":

Raiders
Steelers
Texans
Commanders
Panthers
Falcons

Vertical threats from that group that seem like they could feasibly be moved:

-Chase Claypool, PIT
-Robbie Anderson, CAR
Vertical is the word. How many long verticals have we hit in 5 games so far? A drop in game one. A drop in game 4. A hit to Watkins in garbage time in game 2. A misdirected catch by Cobb in game 5. An INT against Tonyan in game 5. For some reason I still miss Jordy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've definitely been wrong in the past and hope I am about this one as well. I don't consider the WRs talked about as major upgrades. Maybe just more experience and depth.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Gutekunst to make a move for a wide receiver just for the sake of doing it. If the Packers end up adding another WR it should definitely be for one presenting a major upgrade.

I definitely do not want OBJ and that talking point has become tiresome. He's a cancer and merely an injury prone ring chaser.

The Rams definitely benefitted by signing OBJ late last season. That might become true for the Packers as well.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wholeheartedly agree captain. Frankly the chances of OBJ improving our roster are higher than they were for the Rams, and so is the estimated impact of his signing (given they had Kupp and some solid veterans and we had none). Sign OBJ and/or trade for a guy like Claypool please

Reaction score
Wholeheartedly agree captain. Frankly the chances of OBJ improving our roster are higher than they were for the Rams, and so is the estimated impact of his signing (given they had Kupp and some solid veterans and we had none). Sign OBJ and/or trade for a guy like Claypool please
I second that. Obviously he’s got to check out physically and timing may be an issue. My concern is when is OBJ ready?

I’d personally prefer a target a Receiver or TE who has chance of playing December ball and getting acquainted before playoffs
(or helping our seeding) If that is OBJ great

Last edited:

Krabs

Reaction score
Guys, we are not getting OBJ. I don't know why this is even discussed. First, he wants to be in LA. Second, he is in Buffalo right now. He's chasing a ring and the Packers are not high level contenders like the Bills or Rams. OBJ will not be a Packer.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, we are not getting OBJ. I don't know why this is even discussed. First, he wants to be in LA. Second, he is in Buffalo right now. He's chasing a ring and the Packers are not high level contenders like the Bills or Rams. OBJ will not be a Packer.
I cannot see this happening either. It seems like the OBJ fans put him in a category of Randy Moss which is the kind of receiver you would want to complement this offense, a long pass wideout that is tall with a big wing span. The Packers were able to use Jennings, Jordy, and even James Jones at one point to go long. If they did not go after the injury prone Julio Jones I cannot see them going after OBJ.

Krabs

Reaction score
I don't think it even has anything to do with going after him @milani. He does not want to play in Green Bay. It is just such a non topic. They talk about it on the radio around here too. I'm just like, why are we discussing this. It's not a thing.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want OBJ. In addition to coming in late and having to get up to speed with the offense, that's two ACLS to the same knee. He might not be quite the same again, at least not until next season. And as Krabs said he doesn't want to be here, which I agree with.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it even has anything to do with going after him @milani. He does not want to play in Green Bay. It is just such a non topic. They talk about it on the radio around here too. I'm just like, why are we discussing this. It's not a thing.
Agree, OBJ is trying to drive-up his price with LA by feigning interest with others.

Reaction score
Not so sure about that.
We had already been in talks with him and offered him last season. Unfortunately we tried to steal him for about ~650K (prorated) and the Rams went all-in at around $4M. We all know how that ended, the Rams

I don’t know what the Rams or Ravens or 49ers might offer, but I’d consider a heavy incentive laden contract per game he contributes. Maybe a 750K Sign on and $250k per regular season contest participated and $500K per playoff contest with and $1M bonus if we are SB Winners etc..

Reaction score
Maybe I worded that wrong. Packer fan for life! GPG!
That’s more like it!

Truth be told if our OL continues improving, just having Sammy back could prove formidable. He showed in limited time he’s still pretty good imo.

I think things will get slightly better on O with each passing month
Watson will get involved again. Doubs is just learning this Offense and those 2 should conceivably improve as the season transpires.

Of Sammy or Cobb go down again or miss significant time? I could see a replacement though. I’d almost tinker with a good TE who has receiving prowess if there’s one available?

Last edited:

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s more like it!

Truth be told if our OL continues improving, just having Sammy back could prove formidable. He showed in limited time he’s still pretty good imo.

I think things will get slightly better on O with each passing month
Watson will get involved again. Doubs is just learning this Offense and those 2 should conceivably improve as the season transpires.

Of Sammy or Cobb go down again or miss significant time? I could see a replacement though. I’d almost tinker with a good TE who has receiving prowess if there’s one available?

That's the problem, though. There's nothing over the last number of years that says Sammy WON'T miss significant time.

Reaction score
That's the problem, though. There's nothing over the last number of years that says Sammy WON'T miss significant time.
Statistically, he’s going to play in
10-12 games. He’s played in 2.
We should see him in another 9 or 10 contests and we’ve got 11 left after the Jets. Anyone is prone to Injuries and there’s no guarantee OBJ doesn’t repeat injure, so that risk also applies to any player

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do people think THIS is the year Gute will suddenly go out of his way to address wide receiver when he’s already, in his mind, done so by drafting a guy in the 2nd round? The packers have needed a second good receiver for years and Gute has done nothing, why is this suddenly the time ppl think he’ll make a move?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s not as if there haven’t been attempts for players in each of the past 2-3 seasons.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute may not have a choice. Watson is out and Lafleur indicated today that it could be long term. Watkins is eligible to come off IR next week, but no indication yet if he'll be ready soon. Cobb has an injury history, so this situation could get dicey as the season goes on. Amari can't get on the field, no matter what. That leaves Toure and Winfree. OBJ is a long shot. Maybe a trade with Carolina for Moore or Anderson. Finding a gem on somebody's practice squad is unlikely.