Wide Receiver Options

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard current pacing per game if he doesn't miss another game puts his 2022 season at approximately 928 yards on 64 receptions with 10 or 11 TDs.
Romeo same thing: 782 yards on 80 receptions with 8 or 9 TDs

Honestly, that's a pretty solid pace played out by your "WR1" and WR2"

Cobb projections aren't shabby either: 637 yards on 42 receptions...no TD pace as he has none but I'm sure that he will chip in a couple.
But none of that matters to some people. Why? Because they believe that without a super star receiver, you're spinning your wheels. Do I agree with them? No! I'm a believer that "receiver by committee" is the best way to go. Spread the ball around as best you can, get more players in the mix. If someone goes down, you still have weapons.

Reaction score
What’s not helping is not having Watkins also. Let’s be honest he’s at minimum a top 2 WR on the Packers when on that field.

That’s why when all the media kept harping about Brady not having his WR-WR3 (which on the face is true) what about Rodgers?? What was his situation??
He was also missing his WR1 (Adams) and WR2-WR3 (Watkins).

Brady had 2 veterans in Perriman and Russell Gage as veterans and Rodgers had Lazard (playing on a bum ankle I might add) and Cobb

So we had Doubs and no offense intended but that’s not like some mismatch from hell here. Point being BOTH QB’s (Brady and Rodgers) were playing with relatively inferior WR options as a unit. It’s almost like These media guys just hate the Packers and they want to diminish a Win. I heard one announcer on National TV say at halftime against The Pats “blah blah blah and that’s why the Patriots will win”. Oh really??

In this league no player should be underestimated and it’s truly any given Sunday. It’s hard to Win no matter whos injured. Every contest we Win is 1 contest closer to the ideal scenario of our QB getting in rhythm with our newer stable of Wideouts.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching Rodgers and Brady on the same field, I came to the conclusion that Rodgers actually works a lot better under pressure than Brady. What separates them is that Packer fans have grown to expect Rodgers to succeed on every play, and don't cut him any slack.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But none of that matters to some people. Why? Because they believe that without a super star receiver, you're spinning your wheels. Do I agree with them? No! I'm a believer that "receiver by committee" is the best way to go. Spread the ball around as best you can, get more players in the mix. If someone goes down, you still have weapons.
And that is true in sports. The superstar may give you that one special play that can be the difference between victory and defeat but not often.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
MVS got 3/30/15 from the Chiefs and he's on pace for 55/710/0.

Russell Gage got the same exact deal from the Bucs and he's on pace for 89/641/4.

Allen Robinson got 3/46.5/30.75 from the Rams and he's on pace for 38/403/4.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching Rodgers and Brady on the same field, I came to the conclusion that Rodgers actually works a lot better under pressure than Brady. What separates them is that Packer fans have grown to expect Rodgers to succeed on every play, and don't cut him any slack.
Rodgers was crucified on Sunday after throwing his 4th career pick six. Last night, Matt Stafford threw his 28th. We won't truly appreciate the brilliance of Aaron Rodgers until he's gone.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What’s not helping is not having Watkins also. Let’s be honest he’s at minimum a top 2 WR on the Packers when on that field.

That’s why when all the media kept harping about Brady not having his WR-WR3 (which on the face is true) what about Rodgers?? What was his situation??
He was also missing his WR1 (Adams) and WR2-WR3 (Watkins).

Brady had 2 veterans in Perriman and Russell Gage as veterans and Rodgers had Lazard (playing on a bum ankle I might add) and Cobb

So we had Doubs and no offense intended but that’s not like some mismatch from hell here. Point being BOTH QB’s (Brady and Rodgers) were playing with relatively inferior WR options as a unit. It’s almost like These media guys just hate the Packers and they want to diminish a Win. I heard one announcer on National TV say at halftime against The Pats “blah blah blah and that’s why the Patriots will win”. Oh really??

In this league no player should be underestimated and it’s truly any given Sunday. It’s hard to Win no matter whos injured. Every contest we Win is 1 contest closer to the ideal scenario of our QB getting in rhythm with our newer stable of Wideouts.
Adams isn't on the Packers anymore. I am surprised you don't remember that considering how many times you posted that you were glad to see him go. Now let's be really completely honest. Missing Watkins & Watson pales in comparison to missing Evans, Godwin and Julio.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much ado about nothing. The Packers wide receiving corp is just fine. Not any 2,000 yard, 15 TD candidates, but it doesn't matter. What does matter is that they're getting better, and playing well together. Rodgers will gain confidence in several of them as the season rolls along.

I'd be more concerned that the defense holds up well enough to allow this group to develop. We can't expect Rodgers to wave a magic wand and put up 30+ points every game. The match ups, and game plans, for both teams, will effect that.

Despite all the problems that people perceive about the team, they are ranked #4 in the NFL, in power ranking. That's not too bad for a team that people said was on the skids.

Above all, enjoy the early morning wake up for the game on Sunday. It's at 8:30 AM CDT. We've decided on a new menu at home. Changed it this morning. Ham, egg, and cheese sliders, on toasted Hawaiian sesame buns, along with a nice bloody mary, complete with celery stalk, olives, and other adders.

If they're doing well enough, we may even open a bottle of wine, and polish it off. Who knows? It could be nap time, right after the game. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams isn't on the Packers anymore. I am surprised you don't remember that considering how many times you posted that you were glad to see him go. Now let's be really completely honest. Missing Watkins & Watson pales in comparison to missing Evans, Godwin and Julio.
Missing Watkins hurt because he is experienced. In crunch situations he is not as likely to drop a ball or collide with another receiver. And he is still a deep threat. Yes. Missing those 3 Buc weapons hurt them. But losing Jaire early that game hurt us in the coverage game. Fortunately, a couple young kids forced a couple of fumbles.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lazard current pacing per game if he doesn't miss another game puts his 2022 season at approximately 928 yards on 64 receptions with 10 or 11 TDs.
Romeo same thing: 782 yards on 80 receptions with 8 or 9 TDs

Honestly, that's a pretty solid pace played out by your "WR1" and WR2"

Cobb projections aren't shabby either: 637 yards on 42 receptions...no TD pace as he has none but I'm sure that he will chip in a couple.

The Packers wide receiving corps currently ranks 16th in yards among all wide receiving groups in the league. While that's far from an elite group that might be good enough to make the offense work.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers wide receiving corps currently ranks 16th in yards among all wide receiving groups in the league. While that's far from an elite group that might be good enough to make the offense work.

I concur. Now is it enough to get things firing and make a push for a SB? Probably yes, but only because we have a first ballot QB and what should be a solid defense. If you'd have told me to pick a spot the WRs would rank to the league I'd have been VERY happy with 16th and probably been closer to betting around that 23rd spot or so.

D

Deleted member 6794

I concur. Now is it enough to get things firing and make a push for a SB? Probably yes, but only because we have a first ballot QB and what should be a solid defense. If you'd have told me to pick a spot the WRs would rank to the league I'd have been VERY happy with 16th and probably been closer to betting around that 23rd spot or so.

Unfortunately the Packers offense only ranks 22nd in the league in points scored. That needs to improve if they want to contend for a Super Bowl.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Packers offense only ranks 22nd in the league in points scored. That needs to improve if they want to contend for a Super Bowl.
And although our ST has improved we do not need Crosby to kick 4 FGs a game. We need those red zone trips to be 7.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're going to see improvements throughout the season, from our WR group. Now, if the RBs can get some blocking help that would be an improvement. It sounds like they may move Jenkins to LG, and put Njiman out at RT. Jenkins footwork is very slow. Still recovering from the injury. It could help.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the Packers were to make an acquisition at receiver, I would hope for some speed to help open the passing game up vertically, especially if Watkins and Watson remain unreliable.

Non-NFCN teams that are trending towards being potential "sellers":

Raiders
Steelers
Texans
Commanders
Panthers
Falcons

Vertical threats from that group that seem like they could feasibly be moved:

-Chase Claypool, PIT
-Robbie Anderson, CAR

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers were to make an acquisition at receiver, I would hope for some speed to help open the passing game up vertically, especially if Watkins and Watson remain unreliable.

Raiders
Steelers
Texans
Commanders
Panthers
Falcons

-Chase Claypool, PIT
-Robbie Anderson, CAR
Mine as well offer the raiders our first and second for Adam’s..

Reaction score
Mine as well offer the raiders our first and second for Adam’s..
That was my idea a couple weeks ago!

Let’s wait until after his suspension though. I don’t want to kick them when they are down .. let’s wait until they go in unconscious :laugh:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raiders
Steelers
Texans
Commanders
Panthers
Falcons

-Chase Claypool, PIT
-Robbie Anderson, CAR
DELETED AS I QUOTED NUMEROUS FIGURES WHICH IN MY EXPORT OF STATISTICS OVER TO EXCEL I COMPLETELY SCREWED UP MY FILTERING AND I WAS LISTING SNAPS INSTEAD OF YARDS.

I'M SO SORRY, I TRY TO BE A RESOURCE AND NOT A DELUSIONAL POSTER HERE.....MISSED THAT MARK THIS TIME.

Last edited:

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I'm surprised this is still a topic of conversation. It was fun to discuss in the offseason, but the Packers WRs are set. They're not making any moves. Watkins, while injury prone, is coming back. Lazard, Doubs, and Cobb are not a light it up on paper group, but they're certainly not the bottom of the barrel. Add Watkins back into the mix and it's at the very least solid. Now, do we have a true #1? Probably not, and it can be improved. It won't be this year.

Reaction score
I'm surprised this is still a topic of conversation. It was fun to discuss in the offseason, but the Packers WRs are set. They're not making any moves. Watkins, while injury prone, is coming back. Lazard, Doubs, and Cobb are not a light it up on paper group, but they're certainly not the bottom of the barrel. Add Watkins back into the mix and it's at the very least solid. Now, do we have a true #1? Probably not, and it can be improved. It won't be this year.
While I know we can’t legally bet, so it’s hypothetical. I’d put a Benjamin on a side bet the our FO is already looking outside the organization for an option at either TE or WR. There would be no reason to do that if they weren’t interested.
The odds of it coming to fruition involve lots of variables and adequate timing. Thus it’s still likely less than 50% that it happens. But don’t think for one second think that our philosophy is that we’re 100% good to go on weapons. We’ve got likely one of our top 2 best WR options on IR as we speak.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are you on about? The fact that this is not discussed more BAFFLES me. We have a stuttering offense, which was not the case last year, with the only change between the 2 squads being that Adams left. Of course we need another WR.

In case people have forgotten, our Super Bowl window with Rodgers is NOW. Surely he wil play no longer than 3 more years. We don't have the luxury to sit idly and see how the season pans out with a group of WRs that is mediocre at the very best. We need at least 1, if not 2 more capable pass catchers should be added to the group of Watson Doubs Watkins Cobb Lazard. Get me OBJ and any of the low cost options Tyni and Dantes mentioned above.

Latest posts